AMD say PC ports of next gen games are likely to struggle on Intel tech

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by NoodleFighter (8009 posts) -

Even if Intel sponsors the game?

I like how they target the iGP factor when really only super budget gamers would be bothered buy this

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/06/07/amd-say-pc-ports-of-next-generation-console-titles-are-likely-to-struggle-on-intel-tech/?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=emp

#2 Posted by Heirren (19298 posts) -
Pc ports. "Ports" being a keyword. Fact of the matter is most games will be created around consoles.
#3 Posted by cfisher2833 (2150 posts) -

never mind, just re-read the article. deceptive headline.

here's the full quote: "PC ports of next-generation console titles are likely to struggle to perform acceptably well on Intel-integrated solutions."

#4 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

Wait... are they trying to imply their CPUs will give Intel a run for their money, performance-wise?

I'll believe it when I see it...

EDIT: Oh, wait, this is about the iGPUs... that may be the case, but since I always run a dedicated graphics card, I'll stick with Intel... unless AMD can become competative in the upper market segment...

#5 Posted by call_of_duty_10 (4954 posts) -

How come intel was never buttbeardmad like nvidia due to amd hogging all those console deals?

#6 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

AMD multi-theading CPUs comming into play soon.

Time for Intel owners to admit they did a wrong decision on the long run. ;)

#7 Posted by princeofshapeir (15542 posts) -
lolAMD
#8 Posted by SexyJazzCat (1628 posts) -

TL;DR

Intel graphics will struggle next generation.

They struggled this generation as well...

#9 Posted by casharmy (6704 posts) -

that's cute AMD you guys helped to put PC like tech in next gen consoles then try to throw your 2 cent in to hype back up PC dedicated hardware...Only problem is developers are the ones making games and they decided what platforms to build their games from. 

lol, if there was any credibility to what they were saying pS3 and 360 would not have stopped getting "PC ports" years ago.  Develpers don't build games to max out the very heighest tech in the PC world and they konw it, nice try tho. 

#10 Posted by bobbetybob (19307 posts) -
Competitor berates future performance of only real rival, what shocking news! Also it's talking about freaking integrated graphics, you know, that thing that nobody who plays the majority of their games on PC uses.
#11 Posted by dream431ca (10165 posts) -

What a bunch of Bullshiat AMD. Your hardware is in both the PS4 and XB1 so naturally you would say something like this. :?

#12 Posted by BPoole96 (22814 posts) -
This won't affect performance of Intel CPUs when paired with a discrete GPU though will it?
#13 Posted by clyde46 (47816 posts) -
That title is false TC. Nice cherry picking.
#14 Posted by clyde46 (47816 posts) -

How come intel was never buttbeardmad like nvidia due to amd hogging all those console deals?

call_of_duty_10
Intel is bigger than both.
#15 Posted by SchnabbleTab (1243 posts) -

here's the full quote: "PC ports of next-generation console titles are likely to struggle to perform acceptably well on Intel-integrated solutions."

cfisher2833

Ouch, PC gaming dying comfirmed.

#16 Posted by call_of_duty_10 (4954 posts) -
[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"]

clyde46

True,but I am surprised they have never shown any interest in developing hardware for consoles.
#17 Posted by JamDev (987 posts) -

There was an interesting article on digital foundry a while ago where they asked a bunch of devs what they would recommend for next gen gaming. Most of them went for AMD CPU's on the grounds that the high number of cores would be more important than single-thread performance for next gen multiplats due to the new consoles architecture.

I doubt it will make much difference tbh, PC CPU's will have more than enough grunt to handle console ports regardless, interesting none the less. I'll see if I can find the article.

*edit* http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-future-proofing-your-pc-for-next-gen

#18 Posted by princeofshapeir (15542 posts) -

[QUOTE="cfisher2833"]

SchnabbleTab

You realize AMD is talking about Intel's integrated graphics and not discrete GPUs right
#19 Posted by slipknot0129 (5571 posts) -

Intels Igp's will be alright when Broadwell comes out. There will be ddr4 so that will help a lot in the memory bandwidth. I want an Intel Igp gaming laptop, probably be a year or two before they could replace mid level graphics cards. 

#20 Posted by SexyJazzCat (1628 posts) -

[QUOTE="cfisher2833"]

SchnabbleTab

What are ya, stupid?

#21 Posted by Idontremember (934 posts) -

[QUOTE="cfisher2833"]

SchnabbleTab

nameless12345

''Facepalm''
First, a Cow who doesn't understand tech claiming PC is doomed with wathever he can find
and an other one who might not have actually read the article.

Who cares if games run like crap on integrated graphics, NO ONE in his right mind games on an iGPU.
Thats why we have things called ''Graphic cards''.  You know, to get good graphic performances!!! 

#22 Posted by Bebi_vegeta (13558 posts) -

nameless12345

Multi-theading ? What is that...

#23 Posted by Silenthps (7284 posts) -

Integrated graphics struggling to play modern games?

200px-CaptainobviousChooseOption.jpg

#25 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (17827 posts) -

What self-respecting PC gamer would game on Intel integrated graphics? Yuk.

#27 Posted by harry_james_pot (11230 posts) -
Nice misleading title there..
#28 Posted by Miroku32 (8666 posts) -
This title, it is so misleading. Anyways, who plays modern games with an integrated GPU?
#29 Posted by clyde46 (47816 posts) -
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"]

call_of_duty_10

True,but I am surprised they have never shown any interest in developing hardware for consoles.

Not enough money for them, plus it would cost Sony and MS too much money to use Intel.
#30 Posted by NoodleFighter (8009 posts) -

the title came out incomplete for some reason

#31 Posted by sirk1264 (5639 posts) -
If you have a rig with an intel CPU, then you are most likely rocking a discreet gpu. The majority know that intel's igpu's suck and aren't good for gaming. However, their CPUs are better than amd's.
#32 Posted by kejigoto (2305 posts) -

Who in their right mind is using integrated graphics while PC gaming? Seriously does AMD think that I'm going to ditch my dedicated GPU to use one of their CPU's simply because they can do better integrated graphics? 

#33 Posted by ronvalencia (15672 posts) -

Intels Igp's will be alright when Broadwell comes out. There will be ddr4 so that will help a lot in the memory bandwidth. I want an Intel Igp gaming laptop, probably be a year or two before they could replace mid level graphics cards.

slipknot0129

"Mid-level graphics cards" are moving targets.

The baseline GPU for next-gen console games would be Xbox One. AMD Kaveri APU's ~921 GFLOPS IGP would need to be overclocked to ~1.2 Ghz (1228 GFLOPs).

By 2013 Q4, AMD Kaveri APU's 8 CU @900Mhz class Southern Island/Sea Island GCN would be 1 gen behind AMD's Volcanic Islands.

To rival X1, you would need a laptop GPU around GeForce GTX 670M or Radeon HD 8870M levels.

To rival PS4, you would need a laptop GPU between Radeon HD 8950M/8970M or GeForce GTX 680M levels.

Intel Iris 5200 would be behind the next-gen baseline console GPUs.

Note that AMD's Volcanic Islands could be APUs but at a larger scale i.e. GPU first with glued CPUs and it's not limited by CPU socket infrastructure. Think of oversize PS4 APU.

#34 Posted by Mozuckint (831 posts) -

call_of_duty_10
What exactly does Intel have to be jealous of?
#35 Posted by ronvalencia (15672 posts) -

This title, it is so misleading. Anyways, who plays modern games with an integrated GPU? Miroku32

Both X1 and PS4 has integrated GPUs.

X1's ESRAM experience could used as a prototype for AMD's embedded memory equiped PC IGPs.

#36 Posted by ronvalencia (15672 posts) -
[QUOTE="kejigoto"]

Who in their right mind is using integrated graphics while PC gaming? Seriously does AMD think that I'm going to ditch my dedicated GPU to use one of their CPU's simply because they can do better integrated graphics? 

AMD is addressing the baseline PCs where gaming is just another app type to run on PCs.
#37 Posted by razu2444 (808 posts) -
Yuck, PC gaming.
#38 Posted by kalipekona (2401 posts) -
Yuck, PC gaming.razu2444
Yeah, who would want a bunch of control over their gaming experience? And who cares about good games that can only be found on PCs? And it's disgusting playing games with better graphics and smooth frame rates, don't you agree? Plus, who needs mods? They only add fun and value to our games.
#39 Posted by Tessellation (8847 posts) -
lol AMD get back at us when your CPU's are as good as intel ones..consoles will suffer when the main code runs on intel cores.
#40 Posted by hoplayletsplay (983 posts) -
AMD products are fine and well, but never believe in those nonsense their PR spills.
#41 Posted by mitu123 (154668 posts) -

:lol:What a joke title, well played TC.

#42 Posted by krisroe_213 (881 posts) -

"integrated graphics"

top lel

#43 Posted by metal_zombie (2288 posts) -
I was think the same thing when i heard both Xone/PS4 will be using amd hardware though its likely only going to effect weaker hardware buy the top of the line stuff and your not likely to see any problems at all.
#44 Posted by topgunmv (10401 posts) -

Hyperthreading.

#45 Posted by firedrakes (1503 posts) -
sorry its not the cpu.... its the dam gpu
#46 Posted by LordSadic (298 posts) -

:lol:What a joke title, well played TC.

mitu123

What, why? It's the official statement given by the Manager of Gaming Engineering at AMD.

I think this could only be an issue if a huge leap between both architectures is present.

#47 Posted by EvanTheGamer (1161 posts) -

Nvidia Done.

Enjoy your $1000+ Titan card that has less GDDR5 than PS4.

#48 Posted by faizan_faizan (7868 posts) -
People still game on IGPs?
#49 Posted by metal_zombie (2288 posts) -
People still game on IGPs?faizan_faizan
According to some stats from steam yes
#50 Posted by LordSadic (298 posts) -

Nvidia Done.

Enjoy your $1000+ Titan card that has less GDDR5 than PS4.

EvanTheGamer

tumblr_m5w9qpUKhq1r5jtugo1_400.gif