AMD no longer will make Desktop CPU's

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by stereointegrity (10701 posts) -
#2 Posted by uninspiredcup (7851 posts) -

Whats an APU? Will this change things much? Can I stick it in ma motherboard?

#3 Posted by farrell2k (5808 posts) -

APUs are desktop CPUs too. Do you mean desktop chips without built in video, or do you mean they're leaving the PC market altogether? I doubt that...

#4 Posted by IgGy621985 (4627 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: APUs are in PS4 and Xbox One, and no, you can't stick it into your MBO because you'll have to buy a new one.

Basically nothing will change significantly on the market.

#5 Edited by starjet905 (1857 posts) -

Isn't it the same with Intel? Just that Intel still calls them CPUs.

#6 Edited by RossRichard (2337 posts) -

Get ready for incoming Intel CPU price increases.

#7 Posted by silversix_ (14076 posts) -

now a 2500k equivalent will cost $299 instead of $200...

#8 Posted by Krelian-co (10374 posts) -

apus are cpus with included graphic chips that lets them make graphics processing easier, don't really know how good they are or if they work together with the regular gpu.

#9 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

Isn't it the same with Intel? Just that Intel still calls them CPUs.

pretty much.

#10 Posted by Opus_Rea-333 (952 posts) -

HSA FTW!!!!

#11 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4040 posts) -

It makes sense. AMD just can't compete with Intel on CPUs. They'll probably make higher end APUs now.

I wonder how this will affect their graphics cards. I presume they market the AMD CPU/GPU combination, but now they're going to promote APU/GPU combinations.

On that note, I wonder if APUs will start to affect GPU sales. I'm not a PC enthusiast gamer and to be honest a top model AMD APU would probably be enough for me. And as a piece of technology, I do like APUs.

This might have the potential to bring the average performance standard up of PCs, As in, there's probably a lot more lower end computers about than higher end.

#12 Edited by HaloinventedFPS (4713 posts) -

No

They are not making any Desktop CPU's in 2014 & neither is Intel, Broadwell is skipping Desktop, all we are getting is Haswell-E, not a new gen of CPU's, next gen of Desktop CPU's from Intel & AMD are coming in late 2015/2016, Skylake from Intel, not sure what AMD are going to do

Also Silicon has been halting Intel & AMD's progress for nearly a decade, the next Ghz race is when we get Graphene CPU's in the early 2020's, right now it's just minor improvements & a couple more cores

#13 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4040 posts) -

apus are cpus with included graphic chips that lets them make graphics processing easier, don't really know how good they are or if they work together with the regular gpu.

The idea behind an APU is to have a CPU and GPU in one power saving die, to essentially gaming and multimedia performance to the lower end PC/Laptop market.

As of now, on the PC, I gather they're more capable than last gen consoles (PS3/X360), I think I saw a video with Dirt 3 running at 1080p or something. But you know AMD have the potential to make better ones because they're used in the (X1/PS4).

In PCs they can crossfire with certain low end and mid range Radeon graphics cards. The reason it's restricted to low and mid range graphics cards is because AMD said there would little benefit if you had a high end GPU.

#14 Posted by clyde46 (45004 posts) -

No where on that roadmap does it mark the end of AMD CPU's....

#15 Posted by adamosmaki (9449 posts) -

All i got is that they will stop making cpu's with no integrated gpu's. Its a bit sad though they are leaving the $150+ market to intel alone

#16 Edited by Truth_Hurts_U (9130 posts) -

Intel price increase INC! (if it were to happen)

#17 Posted by Shewgenja (8466 posts) -

Doesn't this in some way cannibalize their graphics card business?

#18 Edited by Locutus_Picard (3979 posts) -

PC gaming dying if amd backs out, all hail $1000 minimum CPU's from Intel!

#19 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15917 posts) -

PC gaming dying if amd backs out, all hail $1000 minimum CPU's from Intel!

Let's not go that far. Even at Intel's worst, the mid-range CPUs in Intel's newest line were at the $500 range and there was usually a previous line of CPUs which were lower-costing and still potent.

Still. I'll miss AMD. 14 of my 26 computing years have been spent with AMD, including my very first DIY PC (AMD 386DX-40) in 1992.

#20 Edited by 2Chalupas (5014 posts) -

Doesn't this in some way cannibalize their graphics card business?

You would think it would on the low end graphics cards, since if basically eliminates the need to buy a low end graphics card.

Plus on high end graphics cards it probably hurts them as well. Don't alot of people with intel chips tend to go with Nvidia cards? I know it's not "necessary" to go with Nvidia card, but I just get the impression that the split would be 60/40 with Intel/Nvidia combo if not higher.

#21 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2417 posts) -

It's not like the can compete with intel anyways...

#22 Posted by lostrib (34522 posts) -

well APUs can be used in desktops. Bu they're stop making CPUs for the high end, like the FX line of CPUs

#23 Posted by Krelian-co (10374 posts) -

@Krelian-co said:

The idea behind an APU is to have a CPU and GPU in one power saving die, to essentially gaming and multimedia performance to the lower end PC/Laptop market.

As of now, on the PC, I gather they're more capable than last gen consoles (PS3/X360), I think I saw a video with Dirt 3 running at 1080p or something. But you know AMD have the potential to make better ones because they're used in the (X1/PS4).

In PCs they can crossfire with certain low end and mid range Radeon graphics cards. The reason it's restricted to low and mid range graphics cards is because AMD said there would little benefit if you had a high end GPU.

i see thanks for clarification

#24 Edited by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

Probably a smart move, the market for high end PC hardware isnt what it used to be. These days budget rigs have taken over the PC gaming scene.

#25 Edited by glez13 (8675 posts) -

But technically Intel is also doing the same, every single model has integrated video and then later down the road they release at least one "p" version without the integrated video.

#26 Posted by clyde46 (45004 posts) -

Probably a smart move, the market for high end PC hardware isnt what it used to be. These days budget rigs have taken over the PC gaming scene.

There is some truth in that statement however I don't believe that high end parts will die off, I think mid-range stuff is becoming more efficient.

#27 Posted by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@BeardMaster said:

There is some truth in that statement however I don't believe that high end parts will die off, I think mid-range stuff is becoming more efficient.

As long as there is a market for them, it will likely be served in some capacity. But i think the old business model of just putting out bigger and beefier GPUs and CPUs every year probably isnt as sustainable as it used to be. With the average display being stuck at 1080p for the foreseeable future people dont seem to be craving ludicrous horsepower like they used to. Especially on the CPU front where high end chips are rarely if ever fully utilized as is.

#28 Posted by PCgameruk (1425 posts) -

I thought this was announced ages ago when bulldozer flopped. They just can't compete with intel but on the micro side like laptops, phones etc they do well.

#29 Posted by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -

Sounds like a preemptive Steambox initiative.

#31 Posted by GhoX (4798 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: APUs are in PS4 and Xbox One, and no, you can't stick it into your MBO because you'll have to buy a new one.

Basically nothing will change significantly on the market.

Yep.

I'm fine with AMD finally requiring a change on motherboard. They've stayed with AM3 for YEARS while Intel changed sockets every couple years.