cool. i do not never eveeeer want another 8y gen EVER

#52 Posted by santoron (8361 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

Why would anyone be surprised?

It's always like this

#53 Posted by AM-Gamer (5660 posts) -

As long as there BC I'm all for it.

#54 Edited by AM-Gamer (5660 posts) -

@jhonMalcovich: Yet there on a record setting pace.

#55 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (5465 posts) -

Bloody hope so, not having these low end consoles for the next 8 years. If they revert back to a 5 year cycle, the current specs are just about acceptable.

I just don't see this gen being good enough for 8 years.

#56 Edited by B4X (5660 posts) -

@blackace said:
@b4x said:

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

@b4x said:

Article pulled?

Exactly my thoughts. Page not found.

Someone put the smack down.

Right. Someone made up a bogus article me thinks. Even if Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft are working on new consoles, that doesn't mean the current ones are going anywhere anytime soon. Like I said, minimum 5-6 years these systems will be on the market.

I hope it's leaning more towards the 3-5 year mark. Unless they release a PRO version. like I hope. Then they can go 10 years as far as I care.

#57 Edited by B4X (5660 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

5 is pushing it.

#58 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (5465 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

True, but it was a great gen though. The graphic got real old in the last few years with the PS3 and 360. I didn't understand why the cows and lems bothered fighting over them near the end.

At the same time, the graphics of some of the games like the Arkham series were good enough to get lost in if you know what I mean, Rocksteady did a great job of realising the world down to the small details.

#59 Edited by hoosier7 (4063 posts) -

@HalcyonScarlet said:

Bloody hope so, not having these low end consoles for the next 8 years. If they revert back to a 5 year cycle, the current specs are just about acceptable.

I just don't see this gen being good enough for 8 years.

It depends imo, if we do see a jump to 4k then i think you're right. However i think with the lack of backwards compatibility these days i'd rather not see anything less than 6 years. There's been periods where i've not touched my X1 or PS4 because of lack of games and i'm not going to be able to warrant that sort of cash again if i'm not getting plenty of time out of them and have plenty of games from the off.

Anyway it's no surprise AMD's started work, they don't want to give nvidia a window to get their foot back in the door, Nintendo might be going shopping in a few years and if things don't pick up then MS will certainly want a shorter gen.

#60 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (5465 posts) -
@b4x said:

@silversix_ said:

5 is pushing it.

Yeah, but do you want to reinvest in new hardware and go through a year as dry as this, every 3-4 years? I don't.

#61 Posted by clyde46 (47839 posts) -

The current crop haven't even been out for a year....

#62 Edited by B4X (5660 posts) -

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@b4x said:

@silversix_ said:

5 is pushing it.

Yeah, but do you want to reinvest in new hardware and go through a year as dry as this, every 3-4 years? I don't.

That's why I just want a scalable hardware revision like computers use but in a static controlled console environment. There would be no waiting. The gen would never be over, technically speaking.

It's what I would do if I were the makers.

#63 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (7460 posts) -

Of course they're already planning for next gen... No news here.

#64 Posted by littlestreakier (2949 posts) -

@MonsieurX: couldn't have stated it any better. Not sure why others are surprised by this. Planning takes a long time.

#66 Edited by Gaming-Planet (14683 posts) -

They should use ARM cores instead.

And R&D is always taking place so of course something is always being developed.

#67 Posted by StrongBlackVine (9596 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

It's always like this

#68 Edited by StrongBlackVine (9596 posts) -
@lostrib said:

@bublover1 said:

@lostrib said:

@bublover1 said:
@jhonMalcovich said:

Lol. Kinda too soon.

Microsoft is incapable of committing to a product unless it's an instant success.

I feel sorry for the Xbone guys. Support will be cut in under 2 years.

"next gen consoles are already on their respective company drawing boards"

As in, both companies are already looking at the next product

SONY will wait until at least 6 years.

Microsoft is rushing for a 2016 release. What a bunch of babies.

Prove it

They did it after the original Xbox flopped so there is precedent.

@MonsieurX said:

It's always like this

#69 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (5465 posts) -
@b4x said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@b4x said:

@silversix_ said:

5 is pushing it.

That's why I just want a scalable hardware revision like computers use but in a static controlled console environment. There would be no waiting. The gen would never be over, technically speaking.

It's what I would do if I were the makers.

I'm not sure if that would work on consoles. Kinda the whole point is to be completely static. Also I don't want consoles to lose any more of their console identity. It already feels like MS and Sony are more than a little enticed by the way things are done on the PC.

As of last gen, these consoles already feel like half a machine without the online component like the PC feels even less of a machine without online. It feels like MS and Sony are temped to push even further and I don't want that.

I imagine the next step is digital download only and the step after is an onlive type situation, both mark the death of consoles imo.

#70 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10895 posts) -
@Gaming-Planet said:

They should use ARM cores instead.

And R&D is always taking place so of course something is always being developed.

Why would they use ARM cores? The performance for a high-end ARM SoC is still very weak compared to AMD and Intel's x86 offerings. Both AMD and Intel are pushing power efficiency much more quicker than ARM is pushing in overall performance.

Anyways, a short console generation is all cool in my book. Microsoft and Sony don't need to have a 8 year generation to make a good amount of money from these consoles since they are selling them at cost and/or profit. A 4 to 5 year generation sounds good too me.

#72 Edited by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

it's gonna be a short gen I think anyways. They pushed out some rather weak hardware

Well they waited a few years longer so the new console would be as big a jump as the gen before without having to sell at huge losses. The next consoles will surely be just as weak for 2018/19 as the PS 4 and x one are for now. Doesn't really matter though since it will still be a 5x power jump like just about every other gen.

#73 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@blackace said:
@b4x said:

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

@b4x said:

Article pulled?

Exactly my thoughts. Page not found.

Someone put the smack down.

Right. Someone made up a bogus article me thinks. Even if Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft are working on new consoles, that doesn't mean the current ones are going anywhere anytime soon. Like I said, minimum 5-6 years these systems will be on the market.

PS 4 wiki claims it began development in 2008. Making a console is a huge undertaking so a 5 year dev cycle isn't far fetched at all.

#74 Posted by Truth_Hurts_U (9580 posts) -

Thank God, 5 years max is what a console gen should last.

PS5 will be using APU from AMD. So backwards compat will be a non-issue this time around. That way they can still sell PS4 games to PS5 gamers.

Everyone wins.

#75 Posted by tormentos (20541 posts) -

@jhonMalcovich said:

Lol. Kinda too soon. So MS and Sony already recognizing that current gen consoles will be a failed gen.

Dude the PS3 planning started on 2001,1 year after the PS2 was launch and the PS2 gen was anything but a failed gen.

#76 Edited by The_Stand_In (457 posts) -

@NFJSupreme said:

No shit. Once something is released by a company they immediately start developing the new version. You think these companies just sit there twiddling their thumbs for four years? This really isn't exactly a profound statement. I already knew this was happening. This is how you release products on time.

THANK YOU! Somebody with a brain. I don't know why this is such a difficult concept for some people....

"This means the X1 was a failure! LOL!" -notice the omission of the PS4, despite being in the exact same scenario-...... What? I mean really, you people are stupid.

#77 Edited by Evo_nine (2115 posts) -

sony should concentrate on releasing some AAA exclusive games first and stop with this indie shit.

#78 Posted by GoldenElementXL (4119 posts) -

If only people knew that these current consoles were on the drawing board in 2007. This is nothing new folks. A 6+ year gen us likely. Strap in.

#81 Posted by lostrib (44053 posts) -

@FastRobby said:

@bublover1 said:
@jhonMalcovich said:

Lol. Kinda too soon.

Microsoft is incapable of committing to a product unless it's an instant success.

I feel sorry for the Xbone guys. Support will be cut in under 2 years.

Titanfall, FH2...

lol multiplats

#83 Edited by KillzoneSnake (1882 posts) -

After a console is out the next one is already in the works. Nothing new. People think the engineers no longer work after PS4 is done? lol

#84 Posted by Sushiglutton (5626 posts) -

Good news! Hope they aim for 5-6 years.

#85 Posted by Heirren (19369 posts) -

@nethernova said:

They are always in development. Do you think those people just sit on their asses for a year when a system has been released?

I always thought xbox came here checked the pc fanboy $400 pc that plays 1080p@60fps ultra settings to learn how to build the next xbox, no?

#86 Posted by ronvalencia (15683 posts) -

@jhonMalcovich said:

Lol. Kinda too soon. So MS and Sony already recognizing that current gen consoles will be a failed gen.

They would follow iPhone/iPad product release cycle model i.e. delivers excellent out-of-the-box end-user experience with hardware upgrades.

#87 Edited by always_explicit (3132 posts) -

5 years for new hardware and I will be happy but I want full backwards compatibility and not a bunch of remasters.

#88 Edited by PcGamingRig (7191 posts) -

If other gadget release frequencies are anything to go by, the more money there is to be made, the shorter the gap between releases will be.

Just hope it doesn't go too crazy.

I suppose it would be a lot harder for the games industry to give yearly releases in hardware as games take quite awhile to be made.

Although, it could happen if everything were made to be incredibly streamlined. Let's hope it never does.