AMD hits a MASSIVE Gold Mine with their R9 Gaming GPU's!

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Xtasy26 (4254 posts) -

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2013/12/9/cryptocurrencies-are-causing-shortages-of-amd-radeon-gpus.aspx

It turns out that the R9 Gaming GPU's are not only good for gaming but it turns they are excellent for mining Crytpcurriencies. With the the rise in LiteCoins, AMD GPU's have become the go to choice for mining due to their superior GCN compute architecture of AMD GPU's over any nVidia GPU or intel CPU\GPU's. For example, with respect to kilo-hashes per second (a determining factor in bitcoin mining, the higher the better) AMD's top end R9 290X can do 990 kH/s per second while nVidia's GTX Titan can only do 485 kH/s per second. Mind you the R9 290X cost's almost half as a GTX Titan but does almost twice the computer power. So, for the price of Titan you could get two R9 290X's and crossfire them and get 5X times the computer power!

So, you may be wondering, why all of a sudden a rise in AMD GPU's sales? Well, the price of Litecoins has risen significantly over the past month. As a result AMD GPU's are selling like hot cakes. As of right now R9 280X, R9 290, and R9 290X are all SOLD OUT on newegg. Hell, even newegg had to raise the price of the 7970 to nearly $500 to make extra cash because that's also a GCN based GPU and they are sold out on all their available stocks of 7970s. $500 for a 7970?? That's more than the cost of a R9 290! Same thing with tigerdirect which raised prices of all their GCN GPU's. Same thing with amazon where they are all sold out or raised the prices of their available GCN GPU's.

One European retailer is on the record saying they sold over 1,000+ high end AMD GPU's. The most in their history! This month may turn out to be the biggest sellers of Gaming GPU's ever in the history of GPU's going back the 3DFX era!

I am kicking myself for not buying AMD R9 290 for $399.99. That seems like a bargain now. :(

So, those of you who have a 7970/7950 or R9 GPU, considering yourelf lucky. You may want to do some Litecoin mining to make some extra cash on the side. Consider it a friendly tip from Xtasy26. :P

With all the R9 GPU's sold out and with the PS4 and Xbox One selling 2+ million units I expect AMD to make the biggest amount of money in the Gaming GPU division even going back to the ATI era. :)

And go AMD! They deserve to catch a break after all those years of losing money.

#2 Posted by MonsieurX (30475 posts) -

inb4 market crash and litecoins loose their value

#3 Edited by xhawk27 (7345 posts) -

Too bad their CPUs suck.

#4 Posted by Vaasman (11500 posts) -

What the hell are litecoins?

#5 Edited by uninspiredcup (9006 posts) -

Can you say all this again in English.

#6 Edited by treedoor (7648 posts) -

Wario will be pleased by this card

#7 Edited by -Unreal- (24544 posts) -

@Xtasy26 said:
So, for the price of Titan you could get two R9 290X's

Who cares about Titan for games? A GTX 780 is comparable in gaming performance in price to performance ratio.

#8 Edited by Innovazero2000 (3144 posts) -

I just bought a 7870 GHz edition and over clocked it, close to 7950 stock performance. Got it a few weeks ago at $160. I'm glad I did...

#9 Posted by xhawk27 (7345 posts) -

@Vaasman said:

I think it's some kind of mineral.

#10 Edited by PC_Otter (1623 posts) -

I don't think this will make a huge increase in AMD's GPU sales unless Litecoin somehow becomes supported by a bunch of major e-tailers which would drive demand through the roof. Even Bitcoin lacks real e-tailor support.

It is interesting though, to say the least, but versus ASICs, I'm not so sure if AMD GPUs will hold a real lead once customized ASICs become available that will tear through Litecoins like they do with Bitcoins now.

#11 Edited by Xtasy26 (4254 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

@Vaasman said:

I think it's some kind of mineral.

@Vaasman @uninspiredcup Litecoins are peer-to-peer currency that enables instant payments to anyone in the world.

As of December 10, 2013, 1 LTC is worth approximately $35 USD on major exchanges such as BTC-E.[10] Litecoin is the second largest cryptocurrency with a market cap of around $800 million USD;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litecoin

Think of it as a 'virtual currency' that you can use to buy stuff or goods.

#12 Edited by aroxx_ab (10115 posts) -

@Vaasman said:

This

#13 Posted by wis3boi (31472 posts) -

@aroxx_ab said:

@Vaasman said:

This

bitcoins that are easier to obtain. Different currency, doesnt need it's own hardware to farm for

#14 Posted by Xtasy26 (4254 posts) -

@aroxx_ab said:

@Vaasman said:

This

In addition to my above post, it's essentially a virtual currency. As a matter of fact, business in the real world are accepting virutal currency as methods of payment as opposed to actual dollars. For example, here are some of the businesses that will accept virtual currency. From buying cupcakes from a restaurant in San Francisco to buying a ticket for a space flight:

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/fgfk45kkle/bitcoin-2/

#15 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

i want to buy an amd radeon r9 290.

#16 Posted by HavocV3 (7947 posts) -

@-Unreal- said:

@Xtasy26 said:
So, for the price of Titan you could get two R9 290X's

Who cares about Titan for games? A GTX 780 is comparable in gaming performance in price to performance ratio.

Kewl.

Now try and resell one for a significant profit.

#17 Edited by danten81 (129 posts) -

Intredasting...I purchased a 7950 for 170 last year. Will look into this.

#18 Posted by Couth_ (10182 posts) -

AMD cards are huge right now for litecoin mining

#19 Posted by farrell2k (6378 posts) -

@Innovazero2000 said:

I just bought a 7870 GHz edition and over clocked it, close to 7950 stock performance. Got it a few weeks ago at $160. I'm glad I did...

Damn good price!

#20 Posted by Innovazero2000 (3144 posts) -

Yeah Microcenter had it on special. It was that, a GTX 570, 650 Ti Boost or the 7850 in that price range. Yeah... It was a no brainer.

#21 Edited by Xtasy26 (4254 posts) -

@Innovazero2000 said:

Awesome deal! That was a good buy.

@danten81 said:

Intredasting...I purchased a 7950 for 170 last year. Will look into this.

7950 for $170?? That a wicked deal. You might even think about selling it given the lack of availability of the 7950's on the market now, you might be able to sell it at a profit and then use that to buy something like the R9 290. But you will probably be out of a GPU for a week or two.

Edit: Due to the shortage some HD 7950's are going well over $400+ on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-R7950-Twin-Frozr-3GD5-OC-Radeon-HD-7950-3GB-384-bit-GDDR5-PCI-Express-3-0-x1-/231109784030?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item35cf3771de

That's crazy. That's $230+ profit right there.

#22 Posted by PonchoTaco (2175 posts) -

Pretty cool. I'm happy with my 660ti for now, though.

#23 Posted by Xtasy26 (4254 posts) -

@psymon100 said:

You may have to wait for it sir. You like me may have to wait till Christmas or maybe the end of December to buy one given how all the R9 290's are flying off the shelf. I somewhat feel like an idiot for not buying it in October. Or even better, someone I know brought a XFX R9 290 during Amazon Black Friday deal for $350 with BF4 and then BIOS flashed it a R9 290X. So, in other words he got a $550 card for $350! That's just insane! That price will hold up for at least 2 years. That's the most amazing deal that I have ever seen someone get. :O

#24 Posted by NFJSupreme (5379 posts) -

This actually kinda sucks to anyone who was thinking about building a new rig and wanted to go AMD because of Mantle. They will have to ride out this storm or go nvidia.

#25 Edited by silversix_ (14806 posts) -

I have no idea what the f*ck i just read. Bitmining WTF IS THAT

#26 Edited by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

@Xtasy26 said:

@psymon100 said:

You may have to wait for it sir. You like me may have to wait till Christmas or maybe the end of December to buy one given how all the R9 290's are flying off the shelf. I somewhat feel like an idiot for not buying it in October. Or even better, someone I know brought a XFX R9 290 during Amazon Black Friday deal for $350 with BF4 and then BIOS flashed it a R9 290X. So, in other words he got a $550 card for $350! That's just insane! That price will hold up for at least 2 years. That's the most amazing deal that I have ever seen someone get. :O

well, where i am in New Zealand the cards are in stock. but still a good point.

very interesting about the bios flash. had no idea that was possible.

#27 Posted by Chozofication (2933 posts) -
@silversix_ said:

sounds like everyone involved has been doing it a long time and all the info out there is in techno jargon speak. Sounds incredibly convoluted.

Not something for new people to jump into i'm sure, TC do you do this?

#28 Posted by millerlight89 (18569 posts) -

Very cool. Hermkids need something to use those beefy cards on, not as if there are any games to use it.

#29 Posted by Zoso813 (310 posts) -

So many AMD fanboys on this site.

#30 Posted by FPSfan1985 (2008 posts) -

Just wait until the non reference 290/x drop.

#31 Posted by Jankarcop (9629 posts) -

wait so video card is printing out money wtf i'm confused fuck this noise.

#32 Edited by Innovazero2000 (3144 posts) -

I'm looking forward to more mantle games, it really reminds me of the Glide API back in the day for the 3dfx Voodoo cards, and man oh man did those cards fly.

#33 Posted by Xtasy26 (4254 posts) -

Here's something funny according to Amazon's top 5 CPU sales's AMD's $30 Sempron is in the top 5:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/electronics/229189/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_e_1_4_last

LOL. A sempron!

Miner's are just buying a Sempron CPU and putting a R9 or R8 or 7950/7950 GPU in it as mine is pretty much ALL GPU. Good news for AMD that means they are not only selling CPU's to clear inventory but are selling AMD motherboards too!

#34 Edited by ronvalencia (15130 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

Unlike Bitcoin, Litecoin has a high memory bandwidth requirement. Find a FPGA solution with 288 GB/s to 320 GB/s GDDR5 memory.

#35 Edited by ronvalencia (15130 posts) -

@PC_Otter said:

I don't think this will make a huge increase in AMD's GPU sales unless Litecoin somehow becomes supported by a bunch of major e-tailers which would drive demand through the roof. Even Bitcoin lacks real e-tailor support.

It is interesting though, to say the least, but versus ASICs, I'm not so sure if AMD GPUs will hold a real lead once customized ASICs become available that will tear through Litecoins like they do with Bitcoins now.

It depends if the customised ASICs will include a cheap PCB with fast memory bandwidth. AMD GCNs has economic of scale for it's high memory bandwidth PCBs.

#36 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2754 posts) -

lol at the idiots thinking they can make free money without calculating the cost of electricity

#37 Edited by Xtasy26 (4254 posts) -

@Chozofication said:
@silversix_ said:

sounds like everyone involved has been doing it a long time and all the info out there is in techno jargon speak. Sounds incredibly convoluted.

Not something for new people to jump into i'm sure, TC do you do this?

I am heavily thinking about doing it. I have a buddy who did it on his crossfired HD 7950's.

@PC_Otter said:

The problem with custom ASICs is that with litecoins it's more memory intensive than Bitcoins, that's why AMD GCN GPU's have the advantage. It's not very easy to design, you have to have a good ASIC Design Electrical Engineering background. I have read about one Engineering design house that plan to release ASIC's for Litecoin's next mid year. Which means AMD has a good 4-6 month to cash in if Litecoins stay at ther $30+ price range. That's if the ASIC Design company hit's it's target release date which can be iffy.

@Zoso813 said:

So many AMD fanboys on this site.

Lol what? It's not AMD's fault that they designed a very compute friendly GPU with their GCN GPU's and nVidia didn't.

@ronvalencia said:

@MonsieurX said:

Unlike Bitcoin, Litecoin has a high memory bandwidth requirement. Find a FPGA solution with 288 GB/s to 320 GB/s GDDR5 memory.

Speaking of mining Ron. Since you were the lucky ones to buy a R9 290 before the price explosion are you doing any Litecoin mining? I feel like kicking myself for not picking up a R9 290 before the price surge.

@psymon100 said:

@Xtasy26 said:

@psymon100 said:

well, where i am in New Zealand the cards are in stock. but still a good point.

very interesting about the bios flash. had no idea that was possible.

How are the prices in New Zealand? Did the price surge like everywhere in the world especially in the USA or did the retailers in your area had the price set the same when the R9 290's originially launched. If so, now might be a good time to buy before they increase the price. And if they got the early batch meaning when they R9 290 originally launched back in October or early November, that means there's a good chance that you may be able to BIOS flash it.

Here's something interesting. According to Roy Talyor of AMD VP of Sales the demand for AMD GPU's is "astonishing":

https://twitter.com/amd_roy

Never heard such a thing from a AMD or nVidia rep.

#38 Edited by ronvalencia (15130 posts) -

@

@ShepardCommandr said:

lol at the idiots thinking they can make free money without calculating the cost of electricity

Have you done your calculations?

@Xtasy26

I have tried Litecoin, but I'm using my R9-290 for gaming... I do have a decommissioned 7950-900 currently doing nothing.

#39 Posted by flashn00b (2926 posts) -

I'd like to know how the performance per dollar compares with last year's :x

#40 Edited by PC_Otter (1623 posts) -

I still think a huge increase in e-tailer support for Litecoin is what is necessary for AMD to see a real game changing demand for their GPUs. Does anyone have any actual numbers for how much sales have increased for specific AMD graphics cards?

Now, I did go to Fry's in Austin, TX last weekend to buy a video card for my girlfriend's PC. I don't know if it was because of Black Friday + Christmas and/or the high end demand for crypto-currency generation GPUs, but they were pretty bare with all tiers of video cards. Regardless as to the reason for the purchase, it's good to see PC components selling so well in the "post PC" age. It goes to show that there is still a huge custom building and upgrading market that will be catered to for years to come.

Luckily they had some 7750s left, which is what I intended to pick up in the first place! Her computer's PSU can't handle a card that needs a dedicated power connection lol.

As for upgrading my own hardware, such a huge increase in R9 price rates may make me a bit weary for upgrading sometime later next year.

#41 Posted by clyde46 (46634 posts) -

If you look at the design of AMD cards, you can see that programs like this perform so much better compared to Nvidia cards. The only program I've seen actually make good use of Nvidia and CUDA is Folding at Home. I switched from AMD at the time to Nvidia because AMD cards sucked at Folding which ironic as it was AMD that helped start the program.

#42 Edited by cfisher2833 (1711 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

Too bad their CPUs suck.

I just upgraded to an FX 8320 from the 6100, and it's actually pretty damn good. Not Intel i7 good, but for $130, it's pretty fucking amazing. Now my 7870 which I am having to RMA....well, it was nice while it lasted. Oh, and it's no surprise that they're using AMD for this stuff. AMD has always had an advantage when it came to compute heavy tasks. Nvidia GPUs are designed more for video rendering and such, rather than pure computational tasks. It's one of the reasons people need to be cautious when comparing FLOP counts between Nvidia and AMD GPUs.

#43 Posted by lhughey (4243 posts) -

I've been trying to get a 280x for LiteCoining for about a week. No luck :(

I'm not about to spend 450.00 for a card that retails for 300.00

#44 Posted by cfisher2833 (1711 posts) -

@lhughey said:

I've been trying to get a 280x for LiteCoining for about a week. No luck :(

I'm not about to spend 450.00 for a card that retails for 300.00

Oh damn! I just visited newegg! This is crazy! All the 280xs are selling at $400 nowadays! That's $100 more than like 2 weeks ago when I was shopping for my 7870....wonder how much I could get that shit for on ebay now...once it gets RMAed.

#46 Edited by GhoX (5027 posts) -

TLDR:

If you bought a R290 and put it to mining litecoin 24/7, then the card should pay for itself after 2 months, and continues to make 200-400 USD per month for you. This is assuming that litecoin remains at its current value and excluding cost of power and internet.

I can totally see tons of people buying dozens of AMD cards just to utilise this opportunity. However, with such a massive surge in currency inflow, it shouldn't take long for the litecoin value to crash to Zimbabwe.

#47 Posted by 2scoopsofempty (923 posts) -

hmmm I do have one of those limited MSI 7950s on a 7970 PCB... might sell it if the demand is that high. shit.

#48 Posted by speedfog (3229 posts) -

Nvidia ftw.

#49 Edited by ronvalencia (15130 posts) -

@@

@clyde46 said:

If you look at the design of AMD cards, you can see that programs like this perform so much better compared to Nvidia cards. The only program I've seen actually make good use of Nvidia and CUDA is Folding at Home. I switched from AMD at the time to Nvidia because AMD cards sucked at Folding which ironic as it was AMD that helped start the program.

That was with AMD Radeon HDs with VLIW design.

AMD GCN's Fold @Home results

http://folding.typepad.com/news/2013/05/core-17-update-video-and-reddit-live-qa.html

"Some of the key highlights are:

-Up to 120,000 PPD on GTX Titan, and 110,000 PPD on HD 7970"

---------------

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-770-gk104-review,3519-23.html

R9-290X would beat Titan.

#50 Edited by lhughey (4243 posts) -

@cfisher2833: it looks like people are really going after the 79xx's but you could try to sell it. I don't know what 78xx's are going for. It should be interesting to see though