Am I the only person that doesn't like MGS V?

Ryno1179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ryno1179
Member since 2015 • 187 Posts

Let me start by just saying that I love the Metal Gear series, I have played them all from the MSX versions to MGS 4 but I am having a very hard time enjoying MGS V. To me the open world really takes away from what Metal Gear has always been about a very structured game with a very in depth story. Even though the missions are different it feels like you are constantly doing the same things over and over. Then there is the whole Mother Base aspect which now everything requires money to do and you have to keep gathering crew and hope that their morale doesn't go to low or you don't go into the red with your funds WTF? When did Metal Gear become a micro management game?

Graphically the game is gorgeous but to me the gameplay is just not Metal Gear. If your enjoying it then good for you but this fan is very disappointed.

Draign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 Draign
Member since 2013 • 1824 Posts

I chose Max Pain over MGS, but then again Ive never followed the franchise. Im also at a point where I dont have time to spend 50 hours on one stealth video game. Ive watched people play and the pace is just not for me. I would never bash the game though. Tomb Raider may be the stealth game for me this year, we'll see.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef5a505d0fac
deactivated-5ef5a505d0fac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-5ef5a505d0fac
Member since 2005 • 150 Posts

No.

I've tried a few metal gear and recently bought the HD collection for the vita. Just don't get it even after persevering. Preferred Syphon Filter on the PS one and loved Ghost Recon on the 360 (although not exactly the same). I enjoy Japanese based narratives too - but don't "get" or like MGS. Just shows its personal preference - likey or no likey - up to you.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

MGS 3>MGS> MGS 2> MGS R>MGS PP>MGS 4.

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5  Edited By tushar172787
Member since 2015 • 2561 Posts

i hate shooters in general

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

really the only problem i have with it is Big Boss being pretty much a silent protagonist

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#7 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

hard to like everything that comes out especially when they make big change to a series. Personally I love it way more than I ever did mgs 4 (lowest point of the series for me)

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#8 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Yes.

Say what you want about the others in the series, MGS V is one of the strongest examples of dynamic, emergent, and interactive gameplay in a long time.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

if you're constantly doing the same things over and over then you're doing it wrong. that game is designed to let you experiment with different approaches. so what if it doesn't have hours of dumb convoluted cinematics, annoying codec calls and shit controls?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56032 Posts

I will say this, I'm not really hype for MGS5 as of now but I will buy it somewhere down the road. The only 2 games I'm pretty much hype is just Halo 5 and Fallout 4 and that's pretty much it for this year.

guard12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#11 guard12
Member since 2004 • 2018 Posts

I could never get into Metal Gear myself but that isn't saying it is bad game or series. Just wasn't for me

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60702 Posts

I haven't tried it myself yet...

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

I take it you must have played peace walker. Unfortunately Kojima took peace walker and expanded on the formula.

I am starting to feel that the missions are all very similar. Go here, extract. Go here, assassinate or extract. It's up to the player to vary the techniques and keep things more interesting.

I'm on mission 6 and there's 31 of these things in the game. There's too few story bits. Every time one comes up I'm salivating like a starved dog because I've gotten nothing for five hours and now I can finally get something to chew on.

Then the game returns to missions and extractions and no story.

I'm mixed on it so far. It's good...at times great...but far from the metal gear I've known and loved. It's peace walker for consoles....that pretty much sums it up.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

@mems_1224 said:

if you're constantly doing the same things over and over then you're doing it wrong. that game is designed to let you experiment with different approaches. so what if it doesn't have hours of dumb convoluted cinematics, annoying codec calls and shit controls?

The game is as exciting as you want it to be. But I would rather have the cinematics and codecs than to have too many of the same mission types. Extractions...assassinations...extractions...assassinations....extractions...assassinations...

This is the same reason peace walker is not my favorite metal gear. Phantom Pain is pretty much peace walker part 2.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

TC, have you actually played it or you just watched a few YouTube videos. The game opens up with one hour cinematic introduction to the story. Hell it's one of the best MGS game and one of the best open world games I have ever seen.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

If you feel like you're doing the same thing over and over then you're really missing out. I've played very few games that offer variation on this level, and none of the MGS titles even approach it in that respect.

Also if you're micromanaging and don't like, again you're doing it wrong. I don't like micromanagement either. Which is why I hit R3 to auto assign staff. I only develop the stuff that I want, which is no different than going to a shop keeper in any other game except for the fact that you can do it whenever you want.

This game is built to let you do what you want, how you want. It's what MGS has been pushing towards for a long damn time and now it's finally realized in full.

If you're not digging it then cool, not everyone will enjoy it, but it seems you're not taking advantage of what the game has to offer.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44540 Posts

From what I've seen so far the game looks way better than MGS4, and that got a ton of praise. Even if I'm skeptical about whether it deserves its 10/10, it still looks quite fun. I get the feeling the game isn't so much bad just misleading expectations with all the perfect score and praise. Same thing happened with MGS4 and it was awful. Probably the best explanation for it I've heard, other than the review boot camp and contractual obligations to advanced review copies, probably best explanation was that this was supposed to be the swan song of Kojima's and the MGS series, so they gave it a pretentious but dignified farewell. Well, call me skeptical, but I wonder if the latest Kojima drama was only fabricated in order to get the same sappy reaction from people to basically pull another MGS4 with reviews, my conjuring up positive feelings that for-real for-real this is the last Kojima MGS game.

RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RTUUMM
Member since 2008 • 4859 Posts

I know what you are saying TC, especially about the open world just taking away from that MGS experience, but Im not gonna say I dont like the game yet or rate it or rank it with the rest of the MGS games cuz Im only 6% of the way in the game.

Let me finish it first, then I'll tell you where I place it and my full feeling on it.

One question tho; You say you play all MGS games, but did you play Peace Walker? cuz all of this Mother Base stuff was exactly the same in PW. The way you are complaining about it makes it sound like its new to you.

RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RTUUMM
Member since 2008 • 4859 Posts

@jhonMalcovich said:

TC, have you actually played it or you just watched a few YouTube videos. The game opens up with one hour cinematic introduction to the story. Hell it's one of the best MGS game and one of the best open world games I have ever seen.

What? no it doesnt.

it starts out with wierd random shit that has yet to be explained (Im 18 hours into the game and that intro still makes no sense and still hasnt been talked about or explained.)

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

@RTUUMM said:

I know what you are saying TC, especially about the open world just taking away from that MGS experience, but Im not gonna say I dont like the game yet or rate it or rank it with the rest of the MGS games cuz Im only 6% of the way in the game.

Let me finish it first, then I'll tell you where I place it and my full feeling on it.

One question tho; You say you play all MGS games, but did you play Peace Walker? cuz all of this Mother Base stuff was exactly the same in PW. The way you are complaining about it makes it sound like its new to you.

I had the same thought.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#21  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19511 Posts

By the sound of it, it seems to me like MGS5 has toned-down a lot of the "Kojimarisms". e.g. the generally linear story & gameplay progression, the lengthy cut-scenes, confusing plots, philosophical meandering, crazy characters, and slapstick black humour. If true, then that's a good thing in a way, since this makes it more accessible to a wider audience beyond the MGS fanbase. But at the same time, it might alienate a lot of hardcore MGS fans who'll end up missing the "Kojimarisms" that gave the series its own unique identity.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

I used to love MGS back in the day. Can't stand it nowadays. I'm still gonna give it a try because of the improved gameplay.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Nothing can top the first MGS. He got it right the first time and has been trying to get back to that level ever since. He got close with Snake Eater though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

I think it's one of those games where you need to invest time to get to it's core and taste it. The story definitely has depth.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Bread_or_Decide

@bunchanumbers said:

Nothing can top the first MGS. He got it right the first time and has been trying to get back to that level ever since. He got close with Snake Eater though.

I kind of agree with this. Honestly Kojima ended it all perfect with part 4. I really didn't want him to return to this series but alas that's too late to say now. I'm just anxious to see how MGS5 ends. I already have some theories that he may do to big boss what he did to the BOSS in mgs3. Maybe it turns out big boss was never a villain when snake took him on in the original metal gear.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
deactivated-5b0367b217732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26 deactivated-5b0367b217732
Member since 2014 • 1697 Posts

I just finished downloading the game so I'll let you know in a few days, but one thing I can already say: I'm so tired of open-world games I could scream.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

I'm enjoying myself very much and being a non-lethal (within reason) type player, Mother Base is well staffed due to the need to get rid of stunned bodies.

Edit: Get that Fullton upgraded, so you can grab vehicles. heavy weapons and containers.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#29 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Metal Gear Solid 1 will always be best. Would've loved the remake of first one in Fox Engine. It's a missed opportunity.

Just for fun...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpQ_2yPUmrE

Loading Video...
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#30 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I love it the games open world doesn't hurt it for me the possibilities, collectiables and the ability to expand your facilities. I also like the fact there isn't to many cutscenes lasting 40 minutes.

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

Its not a bad game. Its just not as perfect as some would have you believe. Im working on reviewing it right now. It will be a while before i finish the game, im sure, but if the rest of it is similar to the 9 hrs ive already put into it.....its not looking very promising.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#32 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

@RTUUMM: The intro is talked about and explained. You need to listen to the cassette tapes which are extremely important in knowing what's going on.

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

Metal Gear Solid 1 will always be best. Would've loved the remake of first one in Fox Engine. It's a missed opportunity.

Just for fun...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpQ_2yPUmrE

Amazing.

NANOMACHINES!!!!

we deserve a MGS1 remake.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

No. You're far from alone.

I got tired of Kojima's horrible writing and ridiculous dialogue after MGS3.

Nanites and magic robots. BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

@indzman said:

MGS R? Are you sure?

Swap MGS2 and 3 for me. MGS 3 is magnificent but MGS2 was my first one and I loved playing in the big shell.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9530 Posts

MGSV is easily the best game this generation so far.

isturbo1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 isturbo1984
Member since 2015 • 660 Posts

"Doesn't like" is way too strong of a phrase for me to be throwing around. But yeah, I am a bit disappointed with MGSV. Not quite the "10" the interwebs have been making it out to be. But it is insanely fun and my goty so far (with Witcher 3 in close second). Lacks the classic Metal Gear goodness, but gameplay is solid and addictive. I haven't bee able to put it down. Played maybe 40 hours in the past 4 days.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I can imagine a lot of people not liking this game. It's not for everyone. Even being a fan of MGS games, it's not the best. But it's still a really fun game.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

It's fun, but it lost almost all the things that make metal gear, metal gear. I want snake to be the way he used to be.

Avatar image for Darkhorse-Gamer
Darkhorse-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Darkhorse-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 277 Posts
@bunchanumbers said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

1998 is the best gaming year. What a wonderful year for gaming!

RageQuit4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 RageQuit4Life
Member since 2010 • 527 Posts

As a MGS fan, I don't understand why people always say MGS1 is the best MGS game. I get it, MGS1 got a GREAT pacing. You know, MGS1's gameplay is pretty much outdated and the control is wonky. My best MGS choice? It will be MGS3 and MGSV: TPP.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Xeno_ghost
Member since 2014 • 990 Posts

@ryno1179: "When did Metal Gear become a micro management game?"

Just then wasn't you watching ;)

I guess you cant please all of the people all of the time :)

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

There's only two types of people who don't like MGSV, the ones who have bad taste and the ones who don't like the MGS series.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

@tushar172787 said:

i hate shooters in general

I was about to say there isn't enough shooting...

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Buckhannah
Member since 2013 • 715 Posts

Yes, you are a special and unique snowflake, and no one is like you. You are very special.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#47 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Am I the only one tired of "Am I the only one..." threads? There are BILLIONS of people in the world so NO, you're not the fvckin "only one". You ain't that special. Seriously, every time a major game releases we always see these "Am I the only one who doesn't like it" threads... as if that made you special or something like that...

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

@indzman said:

agreed

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

@Vatusus said:

Am I the only one tired of "Am I the only one..." threads? There are BILLIONS of people in the world so NO, you're not the fvckin "only one". You ain't that special. Seriously, every time a major game releases we always see these "Am I the only one who doesn't like it" threads... as if that made you special or something like that...

Am I the only one who hasn't ever made an am I the only one thread?

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@RTUUMM: They explain it in the end, it's part of the twist.