Almost Halloween, greatest horror games/consoles ever?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -

Personally I LOVE survival horror games, this gen was a bit disappointing as the survival horror genre turned into a regular shooter just with "scary" enemies.

I still think the best horror games I ever played was Silent Hill 2 and 3. PS2 being the best "horror" console ever. Fallout 3 and NV also had some scary and tense moments where you had to plan your attack while you had 3 morphed monsters running at you.

Fun times. I wish they had a fighting game with all the horror film characters. Like Jason vs Michael Myers, chucky vs hell raiser.

#2 Posted by Blabadon (25211 posts) -

Still need to play Silent Hill 2 again. It's not that I got bored after an hour of just walking, it's that I didn't have the patience.

#3 Edited by freedomfreak (38226 posts) -

I'm actually saving the rest of ZombiU for Halloween.

#4 Edited by thedork_knight (866 posts) -

condemned on 360 was scary as fuk

#5 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

resident evil 3 nemesis ... i think.

either that or dead space 1.

#6 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

Resident Evil remake and Condemned.

#7 Posted by Bigboi500 (28804 posts) -

Screw horror games, it's about time again for my annual play through of Costume Quest.

#8 Posted by freedomfreak (38226 posts) -

Screw horror games, it's about time again for my annual play through of Costume Quest.

Good idea. I might just buy the DLC for it, and go through that.

#9 Posted by Jshoelace (417 posts) -

I like the old Resident Evil games, before RE4. I haven't played Silent Hill, I just never got round to it so will give that a go. I have been playing a lot of horror games lately, Amnesia Machine for Pigs, Outlast etc, but found them really boring and not the slightest bit scary. I quite liked Deadspace 1 but the other 2 I did not like at all.

One horror game I am really looking forward to is The Evil Within. it doesn't look scary but it does look like a lot of fun!

#10 Edited by finalfantasy94 (26163 posts) -

I love horror games which is why this gen for consoles it was kinda dissapointing. Since it seems more and more the games are focusing more on action and less on atmosphere. Im looking forward to finally playing the fatal frame games since now they are on psn and I can pick them up.

#11 Edited by Bigboi500 (28804 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

Dat ass!

#12 Posted by Jshoelace (417 posts) -

@finalfantasy94:

Oh sweet I did not know these were on PSN. I had the original but never finished it! Thanks for the heads up.

#13 Edited by freedomfreak (38226 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

Dat ass!

lol

Yes, indeed.

#14 Edited by gameofthering (9968 posts) -

Outlast was a pretty good game.

I hope they make another like it!

#15 Edited by Clock-w0rk (3238 posts) -

Easily Siren, especially Forbidden Siren 2.

*shudders*

Edit: read title as scariest horror games.

#16 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -

The Dead Space series is the scariest collection of games that I've ever played...

#17 Posted by NameIess_One (559 posts) -

I never played Silent Hill games, should try them out someday.

As for my favorite horror games, Amnesia TDD comes out on top, while I also strongly enjoyed Outlast, Resident Evil 4 was great as well, though I'm not listing it for its horror elements, which were pretty lacking (aside from a few moments in the final parts of the game).

Another nice surprise I had recently was Condemned, a very unique game with an interesting concept that worked surprisingly well. Really a shame no one since tried the concept of a first person melee brawler, even the sequel abandoned the original's biggest strengths, instead of trying to build on them.

#18 Posted by redskins26rocs (2674 posts) -

I have been watching Outlast the past few weeks on Rev3's youtube channel, looks pretty scary

#19 Edited by adamosmaki (9358 posts) -

Penumbra series. Nothing comes close to the eerie atmosphere and the instillation of been watched the whole game by some monster and it really helps that you feel helpless

#20 Posted by Jankarcop (8827 posts) -

Amnesia. Nothing on console is as scary.

#21 Edited by RyviusARC (4112 posts) -

If you are really bored and lazy you can always watch my Silent Hill 3 playthrough in HD glory without being the horrible trash HD collection version.

6 Hours and 39 minutes of Survival Horror.

Probably my favorite SH game from the series.

#22 Posted by Heil68 (42666 posts) -

Amnesia is the scariest game I've played recently. Outside of that probably Silent Hill 2.

#23 Edited by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -

Wow, all of you who never played silent hill 2 and 3 really suck. Those are the best of the series.

#24 Edited by Desmonic (12682 posts) -

Most of what sean plays on his Let's Play would be perfect fits :P Personally for me it would Silent Hill 2. I played it when I was younger and boy did it scare me like like a motherf*cker lol

#25 Posted by Slashkice (12980 posts) -

Last gen was godlike for survival horror. Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, and Resident Evil all at their best; not to mention other goodies like Haunting Ground, Eternal Darkness, and the Siren games. It's a real shame the genre was on life support this gen.

On that note, everyone here should pick up the Fatal Frame games and Siren: Blood Curse 'cuz they're on sale next week.

#26 Posted by chocolate1325 (32368 posts) -

Resident Evil Remake and the old Silent Hill games.

#27 Posted by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -

@Slashkice: wow, PS+ sure looks like a great service to have.

#28 Posted by PsychoLemons (1917 posts) -

Hmmm. Currently the scariest game I have played this generation would have to be SCP- Containment Breach.

#29 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26163 posts) -

Last gen was godlike for survival horror. Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, and Resident Evil all at their best; not to mention other goodies like Haunting Ground, Eternal Darkness, and the Siren games. It's a real shame the genre was on life support this gen.

On that note, everyone here should pick up the Fatal Frame games and Siren: Blood Curse 'cuz they're on sale next week.

way ahead of you. 2 bucks for each game sounds like a steal to me.

#30 Edited by jg4xchamp (46644 posts) -

Silent Hill 2

#31 Posted by MathMattS (4002 posts) -

My favorite horror franchise ever is Dead Space. I'm hoping to see Dead Space 4 on the XB1.

#32 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (8155 posts) -

Why does everyone say Silent Hill 2 and completely ignores the fabulous Silent Hill 1? That being said, Silent Hill, Resident Evil Remake, Space Hulk (1993), first Amnesia, first Dead Space, probably the original Alone in the Dark trilogy and BioForge.

#33 Posted by Jynxzor (9280 posts) -

Sony used to be my go to guy for Survival Horror.

Resident Evil 2, Silent Hill 1-2 were just perfection of the genre. I do hope some day Capcom takes it's head out of it's ass long enough to realize why people keep giving Resident Evil another chance because it was just so damn good we always get our hopes up when they say they are going back to their roots...then add spacehulks with rock punching quick time events.

Not like Konami has been doing well with Silent Hill either but at least they are trying damnit!

But so far it looks like PC is once again the go-to platform for any niche genre Amnesia being a great truimph spurred a slew of great games in the recent years.

#34 Edited by madsnakehhh (13973 posts) -

I have to go with Silent Hill 3 and Crimson Butterfly.

Honorable mention to REmake...those Red Zombies!!!

#35 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (16980 posts) -

Tie between Silent Hill 2 and Fatal Frame 2. Both of those were on the PS2 so that gets a vote for my fav horror console.

Only thing that compares to those games in terms of sheer horror factor is The Conjuring, which I am actually watching right now for the 3rd time....

#36 Posted by sukraj (21641 posts) -

the suffering and condemned

#37 Edited by Lucianu (9287 posts) -

Fatal Frame II would be my favorite. The environments are a little bland, and quite repetitive, but overall it's an amazing game for what it sets out to be. I cannot play alone at night.

#38 Posted by widdowson91 (1235 posts) -

It may be an obvious choice, but I have to say Resident Evil 4 is the best horror game I've played.

#39 Posted by RyviusARC (4112 posts) -

That reminds me I also played Eternal Darkness in HD and uploaded my playthrough to YouTube.

I didn't find the game scary other than when I originally played it and thought it was deleting the saves from all my games on the memory card......dick move, but I kind of got a chuckle out of it after I found out I was being played.

#40 Edited by RyviusARC (4112 posts) -
@Salt_The_Fries said:

Why does everyone say Silent Hill 2 and completely ignores the fabulous Silent Hill 1? That being said, Silent Hill, Resident Evil Remake, Space Hulk (1993), first Amnesia, first Dead Space, probably the original Alone in the Dark trilogy and BioForge.

Dead Space 1 was only kind of scary at the beginning.

After a while It just felt like another FPS because you could always expect an alien to jump from the vents.......It was still a good game though.

I also recorded a full playthrough of that game in 1200P.

Still looks pretty good for a 5 year old game.

#41 Posted by insanegame377 (332 posts) -

It wasn't actually scary, but RE4 is my favourite survival horror game. This gen I liked the first 2 Dead Space games, but never got round to playing the third.

#42 Edited by WaxTheTrip (35 posts) -

The Walking Dead game is superb! Dead Space series is scary as hell also, especially the first one.

And if you want real scares from a horror adventure game (for being so crappy), get Roberta Williams´ Phantasmagoria from gog.com ;)