Alienware says to gamers, Your next generation console is already here

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by NoodleFighter (6982 posts) -

http://www.alienwarearena.com/articles/view/alienware-your-next-generation-console-is-already-here/

With Sony and Microsoft right behind them, Nintendo next week will launch the world into the eighth and possibly last console generation as we know them. What does the leading name in PC gaming hardware have to say?

"Your next-generation console is already here," says a new Alienware promotional campaign for the X51.

Billed asthe perfect companion for Steam's new TV mode, the X51 mini also lets you "access anything from the web and stream it to your TV with HDMI." And unlike the limited apps and media support on consoles, the X51 has all the apps and media you want to use the ideal box to the open web. It also has most the games you want to play for a lot less, with free online multiplayer, and with a lot better graphics.

But not just with the X51, in the 25 years I've been following, covering, and playing video games, I really can't think of a better, more affordable, more choice-laden time to play games on PC than right now. In that sense, the "next-generation console" has largely been here ever since the rise of PC games three years ago.

On that note, what do you think about the next-round of "consoles"? Is there anything you've seen or you think unseen things could say and do to pry your hands from your trusty mouse and keyboard?

alienware

Some problems with this are, it's about $350 more than the Deluxe Wii U (even though it's justified), the only retail stores I've seen it in are Best Buy, Microsoft Store and Microcenter. Retail resellers also increases the price of the machine drasctically even though all they have are old models, why their website sells newer ones, better, and cheaper. Consoles are sold at a lost while these are sold by a profit. By R2 they should have at least a $50 price drop seeing as how they have it constantly on sale plus coupons for it. They need a TV campaign so more people can beaware of it.

#2 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38214 posts) -

People don't play on consoles for power, they play for the exclusives. Then they boast the visuals because no one else can play them on other systems. If theyw anted a PC they would have bought one by now.

#3 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8652 posts) -

It'd be better if people who want to game on PC would just spend an hour learning how to do so. It's good knowledge to have in the year 2012.

#4 Posted by razgriz_101 (16871 posts) -

and its in the same ballpark as a PS3 at launch, and we all knew how that went.

#5 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -
A desktop with a dual core i3 and GT 640 for $699.. lol.... $679 - Acer Aspire V3-771G-6851 Intel Core i5 3210M 17.3" screen 6GB RAM 750GB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M $749 - Acer Aspire V3-771G-9697 Intel Core i7 2670QM 17.3" screen 8GB Memory 1TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M
#6 Posted by Another-World (791 posts) -
buying such stuff is doing pc gaming wrong. Not to mention companies like alienware and ibuywhatever overcharge. Build your own rig. It'll come out to be cheaper, you'll be much happier in the end and you'll learn something. And for those who don't want to put in unnecessary effort, it's better to get help from somebody who does. You'll get a lot of free advice on the internet.
#7 Posted by C_Rule (9739 posts) -

Did this really need to be posted? This is possiblely one of the most irrelevant things I've read in a while.

#8 Posted by 1080pOnly (1986 posts) -

Todays big news story:

Dell says "Buy Dell!".

#9 Posted by balfe1990 (6747 posts) -

Todays big new story:

Dell says "Buy Dell!".

1080pOnly

:lol:

#10 Posted by NoodleFighter (6982 posts) -

razgriz_101

well.... at least it has games :P

#11 Posted by 1080pOnly (1986 posts) -

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

NoodleFighter

But does it have realistic historical simulators where you attack the giant enemy crabs weak point for massive damage?

#12 Posted by NoodleFighter (6982 posts) -

A desktop with a dual core i3 and GT 640 for $699.. lol.... $679 - Acer Aspire V3-771G-6851 Intel Core i5 3210M 17.3" screen 6GB RAM 750GB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M $749 - Acer Aspire V3-771G-9697 Intel Core i7 2670QM 17.3" screen 8GB Memory 1TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M superclocked

You realize those are laptop versions right? It uses an OEM version that makes it on par with the GTX 550 ti

#13 Posted by Supabul (3855 posts) -

Well at least it looks good unlike most gaming rigs including my own nosy monstrosity sitting there in all its ugliness

I wish you could just buy the case

#14 Posted by razgriz_101 (16871 posts) -

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

NoodleFighter

still not the point :P

I shelled out this much on a bass amp that is actually useful for me, a £650 PC is not.

#15 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -

[QUOTE="superclocked"]A desktop with a dual core i3 and GT 640 for $699.. lol.... $679 - Acer Aspire V3-771G-6851 Intel Core i5 3210M 17.3" screen 6GB RAM 750GB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M $749 - Acer Aspire V3-771G-9697 Intel Core i7 2670QM 17.3" screen 8GB Memory 1TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M NoodleFighter

You realize those are laptop versions right? It uses an OEM version that makes it on par with the GTX 550 ti

The GT 640 is a $75 GPU that is a good bit slower than a GTS 450. It's on par with an HD 6670 at best, and not even close to a GTX 550 ti...
#16 Posted by Heil68 (43404 posts) -
Thats overpriced for what you get.
#17 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6248 posts) -

Alienware sucks.

Build your own.

#18 Posted by APiranhaAteMyVa (2869 posts) -
I could buy this or I could just attach a HDMI cable from my PC to my TV. My Haf X has wheels too, for some sit on and ride action.
#19 Posted by APiranhaAteMyVa (2869 posts) -

[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

1080pOnly

But does it have realistic historical simulators where you attack the giant enemy crabs weak point for massive damage?

It has street cleaning simulators.
#20 Posted by clyde46 (44814 posts) -
Leading name in computer hardware..... what tosh.
#22 Posted by Masenkoe (4888 posts) -

Did this really need to be posted? This is possiblely one of the most irrelevant things I've read in a while.

C_Rule

#23 Posted by Heirren (16502 posts) -
Lol.
#24 Posted by HavocV3 (7934 posts) -

Alienware. L.

#25 Posted by LP4EVA2005 (8585 posts) -
Waaay to much for whats inside.
#26 Posted by C_Rule (9739 posts) -
Did Alienware/Dell actually produce this written piece? If so, referring to themselves as "the leading name in PC gaming hardware" is horrendously pretentious.
#27 Posted by yellosnolvr (19302 posts) -
ew
#28 Posted by locopatho (20177 posts) -
"the leading name in PC gaming hardware" "the rise of PC games three years ago" What the fvck are they talking about?
#29 Posted by Obviously_Right (5093 posts) -

[QUOTE="C_Rule"]

Masenkoe

#30 Posted by Jankarcop (8976 posts) -

People don't play on consoles for power, they play for the exclusives. Then they boast the visuals because no one else can play them on other systems. If theyw anted a PC they would have bought one by now.

seanmcloughlin

They don't have PC becasue they are casual and dont have the money.

#31 Posted by olart4618 (407 posts) -

Alienware, LOL, make your own rig dude!

#32 Posted by quebec946 (1314 posts) -

only they're laptops are ok,desktop alienware are overpriced trash.

#33 Posted by kraken2109 (13005 posts) -

lol alienware

#34 Posted by lundy86_4 (42978 posts) -

They don't have PC becasue they are casual and dont have the money.

Jankarcop

Stop being stupid.

#35 Posted by KillzoneSnake (1690 posts) -

lol no thx. Alienware is a rip off. Plus i want a real console that will run new games years from now.. and the best exclusives ;)

#36 Posted by Timstuff (26823 posts) -

With Alienware you are pretty much paying for the brand name. It has a nice case, but for the pitiful specs it includes it's definitely not worth $700. I built my brother a PC for about that much and it has much better specs.

If you want an affordable, console-like gaming PC, just buy this kit from Newegg and put it together yourself. With a copy of Windows 7 it's actually $100 less than Alienware's offering.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1018162

ePFGG.jpg

#37 Posted by clyde46 (44814 posts) -

With Alienware you are pretty much paying for the brand name. It has a nice case, but for the pitiful specs it includes it's definitely not worth $700. I built my brother a PC for about that much and it has much better specs.

If you want an affordable, console-like gaming PC, just buy this kit from Newegg and put it together yourself. With a copy of Windows 7 it's actually $100 less than Alienware's offering.

ePFGG.jpg

Timstuff
If I hadnt of just bought a new case, I would be going ITX.
#38 Posted by Mr_BillGates (3186 posts) -

ePFGG.jpg

Timstuff
This is obviously not designed by Johnathan Ive. Soooo ugly and cheap looking. Dat mesh.
#39 Posted by clyde46 (44814 posts) -
[QUOTE="Timstuff"]

ePFGG.jpg

Mr_BillGates
This is obviously not designed by Johnathan Ive. Soooo ugly and cheap looking. Dat mesh.

#40 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -
[QUOTE="Mr_BillGates"][QUOTE="Timstuff"]

ePFGG.jpg

clyde46

You've gotta admit that it is pretty ugly though.. I like the Sentey Slim cases. You should check em out...
#41 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -

Supabul
There are quite a few cases that look very similar. I like these personally.. Sentey Slim 2420 Sentey Slim 2421 Sentey Slim 2422 They all run $49.99... This is the Sentey Slim 2420 (the other 2 have blue LCD readouts).. 1496-2784-thickbox.jpg
#42 Posted by clyde46 (44814 posts) -

I personally think the SilverStone case looks a lot nicer, that case looks like a cheap media pre-built from Acer. Bitfenix Prodigy beats them both though.

#43 Posted by kraken2109 (13005 posts) -
[QUOTE="Supabul"]

superclocked
There are quite a few cases that look very similar. I like these personally.. Sentey Slim 2420 Sentey Slim 2421 Sentey Slim 2422 They all run $49.99... This is the Sentey Slim 2420 (the other 2 have blue LCD readouts).. /QUOTE] I prefer the silverstone ones personally. Can you even get a decent gpu inside those sentey slims?
#44 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="Mr_BillGates"] This is obviously not designed by Johnathan Ive. Soooo ugly and cheap looking. Dat mesh.superclocked

You've gotta admit that it is pretty ugly though.. I like the Sentey Slim cases. You should check em out...

Flat black, no windows, no LEDs... already looks better than most cases.

#45 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -

I personally think the SilverStone case looks a lot nicer, that case looks like a cheap media pre-built from Acer. Bitfenix Prodigy beats them both though.

clyde46
I would be able to fit almost any videocard into the Bitfenix Prodigy, so I do like it better actually. But I mentioned the slim cases because they look similar to the X51 case, which seems to be the only part of the X51 that people are interested in buying...
#46 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -
[QUOTE="superclocked"][QUOTE="Supabul"]

kraken2109
There are quite a few cases that look very similar. I like these personally.. Sentey Slim 2420 Sentey Slim 2421 Sentey Slim 2422 They all run $49.99... This is the Sentey Slim 2420 (the other 2 have blue LCD readouts)..

I prefer the silverstone ones personally. Can you even get a decent gpu inside those sentey slims?

You would have to use a low profile card, like the HD 7750, or something like an A10-5800K APU. I just mentioned the slim cases for those just wanting a case similar to the X51...
#47 Posted by PC_Otter (1623 posts) -

ePFGG.jpg

Timstuff
Good deal considering what you're getting, but a bit of a waste since it's a Socket FM1 APU, so that mean's no upgrade path and even though it's a quadcore APU, underwhelming performance in the face of competition and even versus dual module FX processors and i3s.
#48 Posted by Timstuff (26823 posts) -

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="Mr_BillGates"] This is obviously not designed by Johnathan Ive. Soooo ugly and cheap looking. Dat mesh.superclocked

The problem with the Sentey cases is that they only support low-profile GPUs, which are pretty wimpy compared to their full-size counterparts and are generally not good for hardcore gaming. If you want an ITX machine that delivers full-size PC levels of performance, you either need a thicker case, or you need one that uses a riser to place the GPU sideways. Most pre-built slim gaming machines I've seen go for the latter option, however finding cases like that on the market is tricky. The only promising one I've found is the Glacialtech Altair A380, however the riser for the GPU has to be purchased separately.

casenew.jpg

There's also one coming out called the Titan ITX that sounds promising, however since it's from a new company I don't know what to expect from the pricing, and there is not much info available on it other than what can be found in its forum thread.http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156077

attachment.php?attachmentid=45490&stc=1&

If you want something that will look nice with your home theater but delivers the perfomance of a full-sized gaming PC, your best bet is still probably an ATX HTPC case like the Thermaltake DH 202 series. They cost a fair bit and are quite hefty in size, but they don't cut any corners when it comes to hardware capacity.

g6jlH.jpg

Basically, if you want a slim ITX case that will allow for the best hardware, your options are limited. If you are OK with something more boxy, there are plenty of small ITX cases available that are great for gaming rigs. If you want more options without buying something that may clash with your TV's aesthetics though, you are going to have to settle for something big and bulky.

#49 Posted by OB-47 (10908 posts) -

But the whole point of PC is having to upgrade is it not?

When I get a PC, I want to max out that stuff, not play it one medium