Alienware at E3: More SteamOS games AAA and Indie to come

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11792 Posts

Nice to know that it isn't just Valve trying to help push SteamOS/Linux gaming, Valve should probably just make some sacrifices and throw a little bit of money towards developers to make Linux ports. Especially towards some of the "console exclusives".

"Myself and a few colleagues have been around the world talking to all of the major game publishers, and I'll say that sharing news about Alienware Steam Machine and our plans and how it will be our flagship product, getting those publishers excited to get their content library whether it's a back catalogue or new games coming to SteamOS, you're going to see over the summer a lot more titles and software, big AAA titles, indies, things that are going to be your favourite are going to be coming to SteamOS."

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2  Edited By tushar172787
Member since 2015 • 2561 Posts

@NoodleFighter said:

Nice to know that it isn't just Valve trying to help push SteamOS/Linux gaming, Valve should probably just make some sacrifices and throw a little bit of money towards developers to make Linux ports. Especially towards some of the "console exclusives".

Loading Video...

"Myself and a few colleagues have been around the world talking to all of the major game publishers, and I'll say that sharing news about Alienware Steam Machine and our plans and how it will be our flagship product, getting those publishers excited to get their content library whether it's a back catalogue or new games coming to SteamOS, you're going to see over the summer a lot more titles and software, big AAA titles, indies, things that are going to be your favourite are going to be coming to SteamOS."

the real question is, why don't people talk about it on system wars? and also, we need to choose a name for the steam machine fanboys since hermit doesn't really fit for them. what do you say? and that alienware console is tiny, how much more powerful it is than either the xbox or the playstaion, is it the same entry level one that costs $500?

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11792 Posts

@tushar172787: The Steam machine version has the Steam logo that lights up and it has a 7200 RPM HDD while the Alpha only has a 5400 RPM HDD. The GPU in it is about the equivalent of a GTX 750 ti and it already destroys the Xbox One in visuals and performance and beats the PS4 in visuals and performance and sometimes greatly outdoes it like in games such as Alien: Isolation.

Steam Machines are still PCs, as they even make it easy as possible to install windows and dual boot, you can install SteamOS on any PC that meets the requirements basically making it a Steam Machine and none of these Steam machines are using super exclusive parts/architectures heck some of the Steam Machines are using cases you can buy.

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 tushar172787

@NoodleFighter said:

@tushar172787: The Steam machine version has the Steam logo that lights up and it has a 7200 RPM HDD while the Alpha only has a 5400 RPM HDD. The GPU in it is about the equivalent of a GTX 750 ti and it already destroys the Xbox One in visuals and performance and beats the PS4 in visuals and performance and sometimes greatly outdoes it like in games such as Alien: Isolation.

Steam Machines are still PCs, as they even make it easy as possible to install windows and dual boot, you can install SteamOS on any PC that meets the requirements basically making it a Steam Machine and none of these Steam machines are using super exclusive parts/architectures heck some of the Steam Machines are using cases you can buy.

that's brilliant! i think i'll buy it, also, will install windows make the machine any slower?

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@tushar172787: there's no steam machine fanboys. These are just pcs with SteamOS (which is free) instead of windows. Ense why the non steam version of the AW Alpha is 100$ more expensive.

but since any pc can install windows, steamos, lynux, use a steam controller, it's all just pc

Has for power, it sits around the xb1's level but some components are upgradable, like RAM.

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By tushar172787

@deadline-zero0 said:

@tushar172787: there's no steam machine fanboys. These are just pcs with SteamOS (which is free) instead of windows. Ense why the non steam version of the AW Alpha is 100$ more expensive.

but since any pc can install windows, steamos, lynux, use a steam controller, it's all just pc

Has for power, it sits around the xb1's level but some components are upgradable, like RAM.

ok, but will installing windows make it slower, since it uses more RAM?

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#7 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Too expensive with not great hardware, and no windows.

I think they'd be better off at a 900 price point with a great system and windows.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@tushar172787: No. AW Alpha is the same. One comes with windows, the otehr doesn't.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

SteamMachine , well it could be a good replace for Home Consoles but not for PCs ..... I think Steam Link & Steam Controller are the real assets for PC gamers and PC gaming

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17807 Posts

i dont think the GPU in the alienware alpha is going to cut it. he mentions its basiclaly like an 860M. an 860M is not a powerful GPU compared to current consoles even.

i love the look of the alienware. hell im actually quite tempted. id love a dinky steam machine for under my telly. but its GPU needs to be at least 3X as powerful as an 860M and have at least 4GB of Vram on the system before i would consider it.

i mean the I7 option is completly pointless...such a CPU would be complete overkill for that GPU.

if heat is an issue then they can make it bigger. they can pop it up to even PS3 fat size and it would be fine.

but the GPU has to be significantly better if the system is to last any decent time and the 860M is not going to cut it. hell my 780M is already on the edge now and thats nearly twice as powerful.

this goes to all the manufacturers out there.....get the GPU right. at least 4GB of vram and a GPU that is better than a 780m (a 970M level of performance should be the target minimum) and a quad core CPU should be the minimum for a steam machine. 8GB of ram should also be the minimum. thermal throtelling is also completely unacceptable (looking at you gigabyte). the hardware has to be able to work flat out for extended periods of time with no heat issues. i dont care how dinky it is...if my hardware is getting cooked and throtelling then its a non runner.

sometimes i do wonder if PC manufdacturers like to shoot themselves in the foot with this stuff.

at the moment though i have yet to find the steam box that gets it all right so im probably just going to build my own.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

I don't really see this or Steam OS taking off, with windows 10 being free to upgrade to, DX12 and the massive back catalogue Windows has there isn't much reason to go to Steam OS to get a similar selection to what is on Linux.

I don't see this convincing console gamers to move over, and I don't think this is particularly good value for PC gamers.

DeathLordCrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DeathLordCrime
Member since 2014 • 893 Posts

ALienware.......Where is valve steam machine

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@deathlordcrime said:

ALienware.......Where is valve steam machine

Valve is not a hardware manufacturer, they were never going to make their own beyond the beta machines they developed.