Alien Isolation VS The Evil Within

This topic is locked from further discussion.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Haven't Played Alien Isolation, heard it can be very frustating, repititive. Whereas enjoyed The Evil Within very much ( Some parts were very frustating as Laura Chases and its game over even if she touches you, but a fully upgraded magnum eases the tension on NG +).

To them who played both, which is better survival horror of 2014 ? :)

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

I haven't played The Evil Within but I can tell you Isolation is hands down the best game I've played in a very long time and is anything but repetitive. It is an outstanding nightmarish journey that will leave you haunted for a very long time. It is a game defying mainstream expectations and not simply a reskinned Amnesia or Outlast as undoubtedly most fanboys here will tell you. It is also beyond terrifying, it scared me as if I was 8 and watching Alien for the first time, or possibly even more so. Amanda is a fantastic character, superbly voiced as well.

silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 silkylove
Member since 2002 • 8579 Posts

Haven't played Evil Within, but Alien: Isolation is one of the best survival horror games I've played in quite a while. Sense of foreboding is great, as is the attention to detail. Graphics are pretty good (PS4 version), but the sound design is what sets this game apart. Sound design (key to any good survival horror game) is the best I've ever experienced. Only major flaw is that it drags at the end.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Salt_The_Fries

Alien Isolation is so immersive and harrowing it bypasses the barrier of playing a character and directs the fear and terror it induces directly to you. It does it to such an extent I found myself irrationally closing the doors to my room, exactly the same thing I was doing at night after watching Alien as a kid.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

Haven't played Isolation, but I enjoyed The Evil Within, except for about two chapters.

Great shotgun.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Salt_The_Fries

@silkylove I can agree about the drag - however it also introduces different pacing and the finale is a non-stop spectacular sequence after sequence. Anyway my beef with it was the fact the objectives were sometimes a bit too vague and required you to intuitively "get it", however on the other hand by doing so they avoided hand-holding.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44552 Posts

I haven't played either but I want both. Fingers crossed there's some good Cyber Monday deals.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Have not played The Evil Within but Alien isolation is a very good game. Yeah it can get repetitive(and it will) in the 2nd half of the game, but it is still a solid horror/survival game. You gotta play this at the hardest difficulty it is there it shines the most. Nice graphic and music as well :D

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Alien Isolation is a brilliant game, the best horror game I've ever played. I hid in lockers for 20mins at a time until I "got used" to the freakingly eerie soundtrack and effects and the xenomorph, at which time I was able to clench my teeth and risk venturing out into the hallways. I played on Hard. I havent played TEW so I can't comment on that.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

WOW, lots of praises for Alien Isolation. Will get the game after a price drop :)

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Salt_The_Fries

^ You do that.

Jshoelace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jshoelace
Member since 2008 • 846 Posts

I stopped playing the Evil Within when I bought alien isolation. I thought Evil Within was good but started to get a bit boring on chapter 7. However alien for me is just so addictive. I started the game on hard and yes I have got very frustrated over some of my deaths, not being able to get out of a locker cus the alien won't go away etc, but despite this I can't put the game down. It's visually stunning on pc too, with possibly the best sound I have heard in a game. I'm about 18 hours in, once I've finished it I will go back to the Evil Within.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

evil within was ok for first half hour when it was copying outlast, then it started copying resident evil 4 and I got bored.

.alien isolation. is fantastic and one of the few games that are actaully scary and makes you really fear death in the game.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

I played the demo for Evil With in... Didn't really like it much.

Also I got Alien Isolation free with my GPU and love it.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

I liekd what I played of Alien Isolation. But, I'm not a fan of horror games. I would not be able to stomach more than 5 hours with a game like this, it's too much.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#16  Edited By donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

I haven't played The Evil Within but I can tell you Isolation is hands down the best game I've played in a very long time and is anything but repetitive. It is an outstanding nightmarish journey that will leave you haunted for a very long time. It is a game defying mainstream expectations and not simply a reskinned Amnesia or Outlast as undoubtedly most fanboys here will tell you. It is also beyond terrifying, it scared me as if I was 8 and watching Alien for the first time, or possibly even more so. Amanda is a fantastic character, superbly voiced as well.

I couldn't agree more. It's a 9+ game that got panned by critics who didn't appreciate stealth or are terrible at the genre in general. GOTY contender in my book. Everyone who wished they would make a beautiful interactive version of the film is in for a real treat.

Didn't really see anything interesting in Evil Within... will consider it when it's $10 on Steam, but it looks like one of those games I'd buy and never finish. Shooting everything in sight isn't exactly good for creating tension, and I find grotesque character models insufficient for the status of 'horror game'.

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

Having played both, I can safely say that Isolation is the better and scarier game. Evil Within started out with some promise but shortly into the game it became less survival horror and more shooting gallery. The dodgy controls and cramped 3rd-person camera didn't do it any favors either.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

lol coming from the guy who made the hype thread almost a year in advanced.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Neither.... They both don't have Co-Op.

chernoalpha527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 chernoalpha527
Member since 2013 • 169 Posts

Alien Isolation is my favorite game of the year its pure survival horror at its best, I would highly recommend it you like immersive hardcore stealth games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
deactivated-5b0367b217732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#21 deactivated-5b0367b217732
Member since 2014 • 1697 Posts

@indzman said:

Haven't Played Alien Isolation, heard it can be very frustating, repititive.

It gets incredibly repetitive. The game drags on a lot longer than it should. It also kinda shifts from full-blown survival horror to slightly more action -- maybe that's on purpose, like Alien to Aliens -- especially after you get the flamethrower and the game starts shoving aliens and androids down your throat.

In short: I loved the first half of the game. One of the best I've played in its genre. The second half... not so much.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Both are really good.

The Evil Within has some rough performance issues (and those dumb black bars), but the notion that the game is cheap or unfair is some grade A "bitch get better at the game". It feels like a throw back given how a lot of that game is "figure it out type design" and knowing when and which tools to use. Like how some of the people struggle with the boss fights while they have explosive bolts, harpoon bolts, and freeze bolts, blows my fucking mind. That's not even counting a shotgun/sniper rifle.

Alien on the flip side has this brilliant cat and mouse game going on with you and The Alien itself, it's awesome as ****. Some what frustrating, but gratifying all at once. The actual sneaking around the androids and humans? mediocre as hell, but the atmosphere, production value, and the gameplay with the Alien? fucking terrific.

Neither game is all that scary, but Alien actually feels like a horror game to me, and Evil Within is more a good action game with horror atmosphere (basically every Resident Evil ever). So yeah both are worth a spin.

CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#23 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts

I haven't played Evil Within, it is sitting on my shelf at this moment, but Alien Isolation was the first game I've ever played where I was truly terrified and nervous. When you first encounter Alien, it is such an awesome memorable experience that really drives home the message "SHIT HAS HIT THE FAN." I was actually impressed the game had a story that connected to the movie franchise and throughout the game, I grew to appreciate the time developers put in the atmosphere with the 80's sci-fi feel. The androids and human sections of the game were a little dull, but it is super satisfying when you survive an alien encounter. I really hope they make a sequel or make one with the Predator.

Mr-Powers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mr-Powers
Member since 2013 • 508 Posts

Evil Within blew away my expectations. Only thing it's missing is Mercenaries mode.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I have both games but only played Alien Isolation so far. I beat it on hard first time around and it was one of the best experiences. Took at least 25 hours. I died a lot.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@Mr-Powers

With Co-Op.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#27  Edited By elessarGObonzo
Member since 2008 • 2677 Posts

@indzman: tried Evil Within. got about 20mins in and was laughing at how cheesy it was and how bad the gameplay was. by about 45mins had exited uninstalled and regretted wasting the time.

am still playing little bits of Isolation every few days and it definitely looks a ton better and plays pretty smooth. also has a big nostalgia factor growing up watching the first couple Alien movies. it is very slow so far but worth having just for H.R. Giger immersion.

jxuishd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jxuishd
Member since 2018 • 1 Posts

I have both games and I regret ever buying that waste of time called Alien isolation! Evil within was a pretty terrifying game that always kept me on my toes and it also made me actually feel anxious and afraid throughout the whole game unlike alien isolation. The first time you play alien isolation it's scary and nerve wracking but after you die to the alien a couple of times and see the same death scene over and over again it gets very repetitive and boring because the stupid save system forces you to go through the same area over and over again! So if you have to decide on which game to get than I highly recommend getting the evil within! If you are thinking about getting alien isolation than don't waste your time! And if you already bought alien isolation than I pity you because you have made the worst decision of your life!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56060 Posts

I played both of those games on PC, but Alien Isolation takes the cake here. The atmosphere and details are just right, but fucking hated the game. The first hour is great and then you start to see the faults. Xenomorph encounters get boring real fast due to game length. I wouldn’t say alien has good A.I. seeing as the it’s the same cheap A.I all games have.

At the end of the day, I enjoyed it when I played it. Though the last third of the game dragged a little. But it’s a tense game for sure and I'm more surprise it never got the VR treatment. Alien Isolation is is EVERYTHING that Colonial Marines wishes it was and more.

Edit: I didn't know this thread is 3 years old, sorry.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44552 Posts

I liked both, but I have a special love for Alien Isolation since it was the best use of the Alien(s) license to date. I didn't find it too repetitive at all, I don't know why I kept hearing this. If you haven't noticed, gamers love to bitch and moan about the most mundane things. Anyhow, this game is probably one of my most revisited games this generation, I've played through it more times than I can count. Every few months I fire it up to play through all over again. Probably the most played games after the Metro Redux games and Tomb Raider Definitive Edition.

If you have ever been a serious fan of the franchise, you owe it to yourself to at least check it out.\

EDIT: Also, woops, necro-thread, but I wasn't the one that brought this bitch back.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts

THread is over 3 years old folks.

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

Controls on both games where clunky. Made them both unbearable to play.

I'd probably give alien isolation a revisit if had pc but not evil within which I brought just for the box art of special edition (looks good In frame).

DrSerigala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DrSerigala
Member since 2018 • 208 Posts

ALien isolation is better , i played that years ago on Steam

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

The Evil Within seems like a cool game, but it really needs an X patch. Looks really ****** bad from a 65" TV :( Alien Isolation was a bore.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#35  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Played it in VR? :D Wait this thread is older than my grandma!

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Zombie threads are the scariest