Alien Isolation PC vs PS4 comparison video

• 129 results
#1 Posted by -Unreal- (24538 posts) -

Check it out here

I'm genuinely surprised.

#2 Posted by lawlessx (46577 posts) -

PS4 clearly wins with its next gen fog effects.

seriously..that's a pretty big difference.

#3 Edited by MlauTheDaft (3467 posts) -

There. Embedded for you.

You need to allow Embed.Ly in NoScript ;)

Edit:

It's clear which one looks better. Also, low quality video as always^^

#4 Posted by BldgIrsh (1799 posts) -

It's a pretty bad comparison video... but, obviously the PC version will look better.

#5 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4515 posts) -

its a shame youtube removes 114 fps.

#6 Posted by -Unreal- (24538 posts) -

I honestly thought this game would look practically identical on PS4 and PC. Surely they went for 60 FPS then. If not, I'll be even more surprised. This doesn't look like a game that would struggle with something like a mid-range Radeon card.

#7 Posted by CroidX (1016 posts) -

The cutscenes look the same thou lol

#8 Posted by scottpsfan14 (4070 posts) -

It looks the same apart from fogstation.

#9 Posted by NFJSupreme (5192 posts) -

You know someone will come in here and claim they can't tell the difference.

#10 Posted by GTSaiyanjin2 (5828 posts) -

what did they use to capture the PS4 gameplay, it looks awful

#11 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3467 posts) -

what did they use to capture the PS4 gameplay, it looks awful

I agree. it's downright unattractive in that video.

#12 Edited by Wasdie (49655 posts) -

Clearly a different renderer being used. Looks like the PC version is quite a bit cleaner. PS4 version is just muddy. Assets and effects and lighting look identical but the PS4 version has different colors and a duller image as a result. Weird.

I would chalk up the differences to renderers and how they handle light. That's my best guess at least.

#13 Posted by parkurtommo (26606 posts) -

What the fuck.

This game looks amazing.

#14 Posted by PapaTrop (582 posts) -

I see the vaseline filter is already making its way back into console games this early into the generation.

#15 Posted by TheGuardian03 (21605 posts) -

What is wrong with all that fog and different color on PS4?

#16 Posted by parkurtommo (26606 posts) -

Is there a version of this same gameplay footage, without the comparison? Like just the PC version filling the whole screen.

#17 Edited by ShadowDeathX (10579 posts) -

Looks like the resolution is lower on the PS4 video. Looks like the PS4 might not do native 1080p for this game.

#18 Edited by mikhail (1181 posts) -

I can't wait for YouTube to roll out 60 fps support so we can start showing some real comparisons. The PS4 version looks fine, though.

#19 Posted by scottpsfan14 (4070 posts) -
@Wasdie said:

Clearly a different renderer being used. Looks like the PC version is quite a bit cleaner. PS4 version is just muddy. Assets and effects and lighting look identical but the PS4 version has different colors and a duller image as a result. Weird.

I would chalk up the differences to renderers and how they handle light. That's my best guess at least.

I doub't the PS4 version looks washed out on screen.

#20 Posted by Wasdie (49655 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

Hopefully not because that just looks terrible.

#21 Posted by -Unreal- (24538 posts) -

@mikhail said:

I can't wait for YouTube to roll out 60 fps support so we can start showing some real comparisons.

If I had a PS4 and a means to capture uncompressed video from it, I would happily do comparisons at 60 FPS.

#22 Edited by Heil68 (43601 posts) -

I'll still get and play the PS4 version and wait for a under $10 sale on Steam for PC version.

#23 Posted by scottpsfan14 (4070 posts) -
@Wasdie said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Wasdie said:

Why would it be? It would take more processing power to add that much fog to the screen in the first place. Would be illogical. However they might have trolled the PS4 owners and turned the gamma up too high for shits and giggs.

#24 Posted by -Unreal- (24538 posts) -
@Heil68 said:

I'll still get and play the PS4 version and wait for a under $10 sale on Steam for PC version.

I can't think of why you would do that.

#25 Posted by airshocker (29132 posts) -

Looks much more muddled on the PS4. Everything is cleaner and crisper on the PC.

#26 Posted by parkurtommo (26606 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Wasdie said:

Why would it be? It would take more processing power to add that much fog to the screen in the first place. Would be illogical. However they might have trolled the PS4 owners and turned the gamma up too high for shits and giggs.

It is very strange that the values would be so different in the PS4 side. Then again, why would they purposefully sabotage a comparison? That would be stupid.

The PS4 version probably actually look like that. You can only notice the low value range because of the comparatively darker PC version right next to it. I'm not sure what the tech is behind that, it's not actual fog, just literally lower value range.

Note that the cutscenes are exactly identical. I think that's enough to prove that this is legitimately what the PS4 version will look like.

#27 Edited by -Unreal- (24538 posts) -
@parkurtommo said:

Note that the cutscenes are exactly identical. I think that's enough to prove that this is legitimately what the PS4 version will look like.

Cutscenes may be pre-rendered video files taken from a higher graphical preset. Or it could be real-time running at a higher graphical preset. The latter seems very unlikely though.

#28 Edited by parkurtommo (26606 posts) -

@mikhail said:

I can't wait for YouTube to roll out 60 fps support so we can start showing some real comparisons. The PS4 version looks fine, though.

They already have, in June. Not sure why more videos aren't using it. linky

EDIT: Nvm, those are just test videos, apparently it's not available for everyone's use yet (Why?).

#29 Posted by Snugenz (11822 posts) -

That's a pretty "clear" difference *badumtsh*

#30 Edited by parkurtommo (26606 posts) -
@-Unreal- said:
@parkurtommo said:

Cutscenes may be pre-rendered video files.

Exactly. That's my point. Shows that the gamma is correct.

#31 Posted by farrell2k (5824 posts) -

The one on the right looks less detailed and more washed out. Looks terrible. I don't know why the hell someone would say the ps4 version looks better. Makes........no...........sense.

#32 Posted by TheFadeForever (1710 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

yes we all know

#33 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3017 posts) -

eep.

#34 Posted by NFJSupreme (5192 posts) -

That washed out look might be the immortal FXAA rearing it's ugly head again. FXAA will never die muhahahaha...

#35 Edited by chikenfriedrice (9991 posts) -

PS4 looks washed out as hell....everything else looks close

#36 Edited by lglz1337 (3230 posts) -

i see no 1000$ difference

#37 Posted by Desmonic (13522 posts) -

Damn, that's actually a pretty big difference.

#38 Posted by mikhail (1181 posts) -

@-Unreal- said:

@mikhail said:

I can't wait for YouTube to roll out 60 fps support so we can start showing some real comparisons.

If I had a PS4 and a means to capture uncompressed video from it, I would happily do comparisons at 60 FPS.

With which games? I hope not The Last of Us Remastered because it barely maintains 40-50fps in scenes with any number of characters or post processing on the screen.

Which PS4 games do you think can actually maintain a stable 1080p/60fps?

#39 Posted by WallofTruth (1574 posts) -

That washed out look might be the immortal FXAA rearing it's ugly head again. FXAA will never die muhahahaha...

Ummm no, FXAA doesn't do that.

#40 Posted by WallofTruth (1574 posts) -
@lglz1337 said:

i see no 1000$ difference

Weak.

#41 Posted by lglz1337 (3230 posts) -

@walloftruth: no really just change the contrast on both and we have the same version!

#42 Posted by nutcrackr (12494 posts) -

Looks like they cranked the brightness on the ps4 version.

#43 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4515 posts) -

@mikhail: oh that unreal guy is cool bro. my guess is that the 60 fps comparisons would be intended to show a rock solid 60 fps on pc, and the drops you're talking about on 'not pc'.

also, keep up the good work with your posting man - sincere praise. signed cka.

#44 Posted by blackace (20381 posts) -
@-Unreal- said:

Check it out here

I'm genuinely surprised.

PC wins easily here. The PS4 version is extra, extra foggy. PC version is cleaner and clearer. The POWER did nothing for this game on the PS4. I'm dreading seeing the XB1 version.

#45 Posted by PapaTrop (582 posts) -

@blackace said:
@-Unreal- said:

Check it out here

I'm genuinely surprised.

PC wins easily here. The PS4 version is extra, extra foggy. PC version is cleaner and clearer. The POWER did nothing for this game on the PS4. I'm dreading seeing the XB1 version.

I thought they were said to be the same performance on Xbox and PS4. I'm guessing it's about the same; both are ugly

#46 Posted by silversix_ (14128 posts) -

so much jaggies its like everything is alive and moving. but god damn i wasn't fallowing this game much and after watching this im starting to be very interested.

#47 Posted by mikhail (1181 posts) -

@blackace said:
@-Unreal- said:

Check it out here

I'm genuinely surprised.

It's because transparencies are more taxing. Opaque fog is much less resource intensive, that's why it appears that the PS4 version has "more fog". It's the same amount of fog, it's just not as transparent.

#48 Posted by blackace (20381 posts) -

@papatrop said:

@blackace said:
@-Unreal- said:

Check it out here

I'm genuinely surprised.

I thought they were said to be the same performance on Xbox and PS4. I'm guessing it's about the same; both are ugly

We'll know once they show the XB1 vs PC comparison.

#49 Posted by uninspiredcup (8004 posts) -

This looks completely boring as shit compared to AVP 2000.

#50 Posted by NFJSupreme (5192 posts) -

@NFJSupreme said:

Ummm no, FXAA doesn't do that.

it sure does that on Battlefield and every other game i've tried it on. You get the Vaseline over the screen look. Either way I'm not here to argue with you about it. Just speculating what could be the cause besides obviously lower graphical settings.