Airaki | Announced For Gameboy

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by charizard1605 (58136 posts) -

The original Game Boy turns 26 next month, but that didn't stop retro-hacker Furrtek from developing a new game for it.

It's called Airaki, and as the above screenshot shows, it's a tile-matching RPG. This is actually the developer's second Game Boy game—the first one, Super Connard (translated by one reviewer as "Super Asshole") sold 80 cartridges in 2013. For Airaki, Furrtek is planning to manufacture 150 cartridges after an initial run of 20 cartridges—all of which will most likely be sold, judging by the pre-order numbers.

The pre-order page states that 69 out of the first 120 cartridges have already been reserved and will ship next month, so if you wanna get in on this, do it quickly. The cartridge should work in any Game Boy, Game Boy Color, or Game Boy Advance machine. Or, if you'd rather just wait for the free ROM release, keep an eye on the game's Facebook page for updates.

SOURCE

Longest lived platform ever? Longest lived platform ever.

Sony and its ten year plan? Pah. gameboy turns 26, and it still gets new games! Nintendo laughs in your face!

(also, I'm totally gonna try to get this)

#2 Posted by finalstar2007 (25276 posts) -

Is it even allowed to post about legacy platforms? might as well post about the games that still come to PS2 and PS1 while your at it :P

anyways gameboy lol good times i had with it playing Pokemon Red

#3 Posted by charizard1605 (58136 posts) -

@finalstar2007 said:

Is it even allowed to post about legacy platforms? might as well post about the games that still come to PS2 and PS1 while your at it :P

anyways gameboy lol good times i had with it playing Pokemon Red

If you can find me the Legacy Platforms board, I will gladly repost it there

(lolno I won't, because I still made this post relevant to System Wars :-3)

#4 Posted by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -

I wouldn't necessarily say longest lived platform... Pier Solar and the Great Architects released for megadrive in 2010/2011.

Magic Girl is releasing for Sega Genesis sometime in 2015.

#6 Edited by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

I never understood these devs who go out of their way to release stuff for platforms that have been dead for quite some time now :P

why not bank cash on it? NG:Dev.Team titles which are developed around dreamcast and neo-geo sell out pretty quickly - especially the MVS carts that go for about $400. hell, their title GunLord won 2012 game of the year for classic gaming room.

it's insane to try and get your hands on a copy of Pier Solar for MD/Genesis which almost sold out instantly too...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xpier+solar&_nkw=pier+solar&_sacat=0&_from=R40

#7 Edited by charizard1605 (58136 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

I never understood these devs who go out of their way to release stuff for platforms that have been dead for quite some time now :P

It's cheap as fuck to develop a Gameboy game (I could do it in my free time using the basic version of GameMaker), and you can get a lot of attention and money by enthusiasts once you release it, so why not?

#9 Posted by charizard1605 (58136 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Desmonic said:

It's cheap as fuck to develop a Gameboy game (I could do it in my free time using the basic version of GameMaker), and you can get a lot of attention and money by enthusiasts once you release it, so why not?

What's the point though? :P I'm not against it, I just really don't get it lol

Whats the point of anything, really.

This doesn't need much effort, and gets you a lot of recognition and money. So why not?

#11 Posted by charizard1605 (58136 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Desmonic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Desmonic said:

What's the point though? :P I'm not against it, I just really don't get it lol

Whats the point of anything, really.

This doesn't need much effort, and gets you a lot of recognition and money. So why not?

Recognition? Maybe, in select circles. Not every gamer is going to hear about this, and of those that do most will likely not care much (still it's the kind of news that does stand out). Money? Eeehhh... you're gonna have to back that one up :P

Still why not make the same game for Steam/PSN/XBL/eShop? Or even just for the handhelds specifically? Assuming these people are not doing this simply as a quick distraction/hobby, they are more likely to find success (and perhaps even join other devs) in active platforms, no? :P

You're forgetting the money part. You can sell a single cartridge for thousands, sometimes tens of thousands of dollars.

#13 Edited by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -
@Desmonic said:

@charizard1605: Yeah... rare (and almost) mythical stuff. Doubt something produced in 2013/2014 goes for that kind of cash :P

NEO XYX which was released by NG:Dev.TEAM in October 2013 for MVS sold out with the cart priced at 400 EURO. I'm sure if you can track down a copy, it will be pushing $700-1000 USD.

here's a web archive of the item since it sold out and is no longer shown on their store:
http://web.archive.org/web/20131023113819/http://www.ngdevdirect.com/

here's their website:
http://ngdevteam.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=54

you seemed to have skipped my posts... but I think that's probably because it doesn't support your argument.

#15 Edited by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@Some-Mist: Nah, it was mostly because pre-edit I couldn't really understand what you were saying. Therefore instead of making a fool out of myself, I thought I'd just let you edit lol

Regardless that is still one case. If this was the rule, loads of people would be doing it (or trying at least). And you're both still missing my main point: Why? Money? You can easily make more on an active platform. Recognition? Again, an active platform works in your favor more than a dead(ish) one (as far as mainstream recognition goes at least).

It's nice to see it happen, don't get me wrong but from a pure logical/business standpoint I don't get it XD

because they want to develop for that console. what's to get?

one case? the same company sold out gunlord at 500 Euro and Fast Striker at 440 Euro (there's actually a copy of fast striker up on ebay now.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fast-Striker-1-5-Neo-Geo-MVS-/321351370204?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item4ad208c5dc)

So then the next logical statement is... well that's just one company??

then what about Watermelon and Pier Solar which sold out multiple print runs? you want to find the game new? you'll be paying $500 for the genesis/md cart on ebay. the cart even sold out brand new on their website multiple print runs priced at $70 USD. You can at least find it for 70-100 used.

alright alright then... that's two companies, that has to be it.... right? what about duranik with sturmwind released in 2013 on dreamcast?

I'll keep going if you want lol.

#16 Edited by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -

And on the subject of money.... why wouldn't you develop for an older console if your project isn't limited by the platform? If you wanted the same game on xbl or psn... wouldn't you have to pay fees to microsoft and sony? Are there legacy fees for developing on dead consoles?

I don't know because I'm not a developer, but it seems like a safe way to measure interest before trying to move to a new console and potentially losing money via fees.

I'd imagine those costs could be potentially hurtful to a small indie team.... but what do I know?

#18 Posted by TheGuardian03 (21771 posts) -

Dreamcast is also getting a game this year, it's a remake of a genesis game i believe, but forgot it's name.

#19 Edited by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

Do I need to point to the several indies (not even gonna mention the big money makers) that have been making it big and large (some of which becoming even as big or bigger than mainstream devs) on active platforms rendering all of this pointless?

I asked why and you (and chaz) told me money and recognition. To which I argued that both of those things are easier to get on non-dead platforms. Period. No if's about it. Otherwise Minecraft would have been a SNES game with each cartdrige selling at $500 a pop. As we all know, it is not (despite being almost able to run on it lol).

Even recognition is only valid for certain restricted circles as most gamers won't hear about this nor about the dev(s) behind this.

Which is why I asked "why". From a business standpoint it makes little to no sense, since the price of the products limits the (already smaller) market even more.

What I do understand is that these are small devs that are making these games purely out of love for said platforms, not caring much about making it big (despite each cartdrige probably giving them quite a bit of money, they more than likely don't sell as much as we'd like to think).

since I've provided examples, I hoped that you would do the same... but just a little tidbit of information for you - Pier Solar was crowdsourced for PC, Wii U, and other similar platforms after the multiple genesis print runs. This is WaterMelon's first game.. and they used the genesis/md version to gauge interest for other platforms. It still didn't stop the game from selling out at a $70 price point as a sega genesis/md title. Plus Pier solar was developed by a team of 8 people. How many people are a part of these teams who have gained mainstream appeal with their indie games (which you provided no example of)? Have those companies developed titles other than the one that has gained mainstream recognition?

I'm surprised I can answer even some of these questions for you (luckily I was part of the crowdsourcing and I got a little insider scoop), but I'm basically asking you the same kinda questions you're asking me.

I said absolutely nothing about recognition... and I'm not sure why you're asking me about that... but again... to touch on my "money" point... do you have to pay any fees or sign any contracts to put a title on the xbox 360/ps3/ps4/xb1? Is it more expensive to develop for the sega genesis or a new console? Aren't these things to take into consideration for a small indie team (i.e. a team of 8 people)... especially if your game doesn't have hardware limitations? You skipped over this point that I made in my previous response, and you're still asking me how it makes sense from a business standpoint... hmm...

I've provided all that I know. If you really want to know the reason these devs are choosing older platforms... maybe you should ask them yourself?

#21 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34156 posts) -

Yet ANOTHER Nintendo game with no online CO-OP. smh

#22 Edited by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -

nice response. unfortunately, I don't have any answers for you.

@Desmonic said:

Nor do I think any of these companies made fantastic numbers since their market is small, like really small. (again, numbers are required). Not everyone will pay $60 for a game, much less $500.

and of course not many people will pay the price tag, but the point is... enough people have bought it and WaterMelon (and the other devs) hit the numbers they wanted to hit. obviously enough people knew about it even though it was on a dead console, but it seems that these games are aimed at hardcore retro gamers and collectors. I haven't bought any of those NG:Dev MVS carts because I can't see myself enjoying those games... but I have no problem dropping $550 on a battle garegga arcade pcb which I did last month. there is a niche (many of us) that will pay that much (but we're mostly on private forums :))

#23 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

Obviously this is due to the amazing support of Nintendo.

#24 Posted by bbkkristian (14955 posts) -

I still got a GBA.

#25 Edited by DocSanchez (1635 posts) -

@charizard1605: not even close.

#26 Posted by charizard1605 (58136 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

@charizard1605: not even close.

I'm... sorry, I don't know what this was in response to lol

#27 Posted by mariokart64fan (19522 posts) -

um ya id rather have a nintendo game with no online the deal with people who argue because you wanna play online with them lol

#28 Posted by Heil68 (45145 posts) -

Didn't see that coming.

#29 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6584 posts) -

Who gives a shit about a gameboy game in 2014? Nobody

#30 Edited by DocSanchez (1635 posts) -

@charizard1605: The gameboy is not the longest living platform. Home brewers are working on systems going way way back like the ZX Spectrum for example. Don't really understand it that much. Retro gaming is great but what's wrong with doing a spectrum/gameboy type game but releasing it on steam so you can actually make some money?

#31 Posted by charizard1605 (58136 posts) -

@DocSanchez: I was actually being facetious. My entire post is meant to be tongue in cheek, yo.

#32 Edited by DocSanchez (1635 posts) -

@charizard1605: Don't think it came off as that, but I wasn't having a go. Just making it clear, this stuff is going on across the board. It's interesting to me even if I don't understand it.