Age of Wonders III scores a 7. Blasphemy or fair ?

• 63 results
#1 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4938 posts) -

Gamespot flops the most anticipated strategy of the year.

Age of Wonders III is basically a fantasy Civilization, which means hundreds of hours of super addictive gameplay. Is this really can be classified as a 7? Is like giving Civ5 a 7.

Review

THE GOOD

Tactical combat is an enjoyable challenge
Streamlined empire management keeps your focus on fighting
Randomization offers variety without feeling chaotic
THE BAD
Playing the game online may require some firewall configuration
Different races/factions are a little too similar

#2 Edited by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

Flop of Wonders

THHBO

#3 Edited by hiphops_savior (7973 posts) -

Shame about the online mode, though. Didn't change the fact that it's an excellent strategy game.

#4 Posted by charizard1605 (58885 posts) -

So far I like it a lot, although admittedly the online mode is broken...

#5 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5363 posts) -

@charizard1605:

It's out? I thought not til the 31st... damn need to get on steam. I have never played a TBS game online before, not starting now...so point is moot.

#6 Posted by charizard1605 (58885 posts) -

@Midnightshade29 said:

@charizard1605:

It's out? I thought not til the 31st... damn need to get on steam. I have never played a TBS game online before, not starting now...so point is moot.

No, you are right, I have an early copy for review purposes.

#7 Edited by MonsieurX (30830 posts) -

@xboxdone74 said:

Flop of Wonders

THHBO

How's all the AAE and AE on the PS4?

Didn't respond to my post in the other thread :(

#8 Edited by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@xboxdone74 said:

Flop of Wonders

THHBO

How's Dark Souls 2? I Was really hoping Flop of Wonders was gonna be your Goty exclusive.

I always respond, son. But you dance...and beg. :(

#9 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5363 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Midnightshade29 said:

@charizard1605:

Damn, oh well I shouldn't be spending money anyway. Just got FFX X2 on vita, Dynasty warriors 8 and Deception 4 on vita and Infmaous Second son last week. Plus getting Ragnorok Odyessy Ace and maybe if i have enough cash Bravery Default... Ughh I don't need more games. (although I do want DW8 on Ps4...hmmmm ).

Oh and I seen that galactic civilizations 3 is coming!!! Whoo. $99 for an alpha. who in their right mind would pay for that?

#10 Posted by charizard1605 (58885 posts) -

@Midnightshade29 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Midnightshade29 said:

@charizard1605:

Damn, oh well I shouldn't be spending money anyway. Just got FFX X2 on vita, Dynasty warriors 8 and Deception 4 on vita and Infmaous Second son last week. Plus getting Ragnorok Odyessy Ace and maybe if i have enough cash Bravery Default... Ughh I don't need more games. (although I do want DW8 on Ps4...hmmmm ).

Oh and I seen that galactic civilizations 3 is coming!!! Whoo. $99 for an alpha. who in their right mind would pay for that?

I have Deception IV too! Really fun game :)

Bravely Default is amazing, be sure to get it if you can!

#11 Posted by lostrib (39048 posts) -

@xboxdone74 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@xboxdone74 said:

Flop of Wonders

THHBO

How's Dark Souls 2? I Was really hoping Flop of Wonders was gonna be your Goty exclusive.

Why do you keep asking that?

I'm pretty sure he's already said he doesn't like the souls games

#12 Posted by MonsieurX (30830 posts) -

@xboxdone74 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@xboxdone74 said:

Flop of Wonders

THHBO

So,you can't answer my question,so you ask something irrelevant?

And I already answered your question anyway.

And you never answered here

@MonsieurX said:

@MonsieurX said:

@xboxdone74 said:

@MonsieurX: you cant hold a game of the year pc exclusive for a decade also, it seems.

Changing the goal,again.

You were initially talking about the best exclusives ON PS4.

Only 4 available,2 AAE and 1 AE.

Meanwhile,on PC only since february

Smite: AAE

Hearstone : AAE

Infested Planet : AAE

NaissancE: AAE

Banished: AAE

Jazzpunk: AE

Loadout: AE

SWoToR Galactic Starfighter: AAE

Strike Vector: AE

Kinda puts PS4 library to shame

Oh look,xboxdone74 disappeared again because he got owned badly

#13 Edited by BloodyTides (151 posts) -

So how close is it to playing like Civ games?

#14 Posted by DarthRamms (559 posts) -

oTHER than the MP the game seem well done

#15 Posted by charizard1605 (58885 posts) -

@bloodytides said:

Well, obviously, specific nuances differ a lot, because the game has different 'civilizations' with their specific perks, and such, but the general concept is pretty much identical- you have a turn based grand 4x strategy game, that is addictive as all fuck.

If you like Civilization, you will like Age of Wonders, although almost certainly not to the same extent, simply because Civilization by virtue of its premise is easily identified with; contrast this with Age of Wonders, which has a highly specific lore, that you need to be thoroughly familiar (or at least acquainted) with before you 'get it.'

Nonetheless, in my experience, Age of Wonders 3 is a fun game, and I would advise it to any 4x strategy game fan.

#16 Posted by longtonguecat (2498 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@bloodytides said:

Well, obviously, specific nuances differ a lot, because the game has different 'civilizations' with their specific perks, and such, but the general concept is pretty much identical- you have a turn based grand 4x strategy game, that is addictive as all fuck.

If you like Civilization, you will like Age of Wonders, although almost certainly not to the same extent, simply because Civilization by virtue of its premise is easily identified with; contrast this with Age of Wonders, which has a highly specific lore, that you need to be thoroughly familiar (or at least acquainted) with before you 'get it.'

Nonetheless, in my experience, Age of Wonders 3 is a fun game, and I would advise it to any 4x strategy game fan.

Would you recommend playing through the others first? I have them on Steam but haven't played a tonne of them yet.

#17 Posted by Cloud_imperium (4277 posts) -

@MonsieurX: Lol , he just disappeared again (XboxDone74) .

#18 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14683 posts) -

Age of blunders.

#19 Edited by remiks00 (1968 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium said:

Indeed, as usual. Trolls gonna Troll

#20 Posted by WallofTruth (1777 posts) -
@remiks00 said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

Yup, he's the new forum clown by now.

#21 Posted by WallofTruth (1777 posts) -

The game doesn't quite well on Metacritic though, and the Steam player reviews also seem heavily in favor of the game, so I'm sure the game is amazing, can't wait to get in soon.

#22 Posted by Cloud_imperium (4277 posts) -

@walloftruth said:
@remiks00 said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

Yup, he's the new forum clown by now.

Hehehe :-D

#23 Posted by MonsieurX (30830 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@xboxdone74 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@xboxdone74 said:

Flop of Wonders

THHBO

So,you can't answer my question,so you ask something irrelevant?

And I already answered your question anyway.

And you never answered here

@MonsieurX said:

@MonsieurX said:

@xboxdone74 said:

@MonsieurX: you cant hold a game of the year pc exclusive for a decade also, it seems.

Changing the goal,again.

You were initially talking about the best exclusives ON PS4.

Only 4 available,2 AAE and 1 AE.

Meanwhile,on PC only since february

Smite: AAE

Hearstone : AAE

Infested Planet : AAE

NaissancE: AAE

Banished: AAE

Jazzpunk: AE

Loadout: AE

SWoToR Galactic Starfighter: AAE

Strike Vector: AE

Kinda puts PS4 library to shame

Oh look,xboxdone74 disappeared again because he got owned badly

I'll just keep quoting myself

#24 Posted by charizard1605 (58885 posts) -

@longtonguecat said:

@charizard1605 said:

@bloodytides said:

Would you recommend playing through the others first? I have them on Steam but haven't played a tonne of them yet.

Nah, feel free to start at this one; the game does a good job of world building, especially if you start with the Elven campaign first.

#25 Edited by Stevo_the_gamer (43074 posts) -

Lower than I expected, I'll read the review and see what's up. The previews for the game were super positive.

So, two complaints in the review -- one in which hits on the classes which was more of a balance decision. It's a valid point, but I can see where the developers were aiming in this regard. The connection issues/port firewall is a curious one, I'll look at other reviews and see if it's a common ordeal.

Neverthless, a lot of high praise minus two minor complaints. Interesting.

#26 Edited by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

@MonsieurX: why would I disappear? Being as successful as I am, I am regularly called away from owning pc beggars to attend to business.

Shame none of those games are goty worthy. Sigh...decade without one for pc. Hows dark souls 2, casual boy? Gonna at least beat the first boss

Of demons souls?

Keep on beggin. B-)

#27 Posted by Ballroompirate (23279 posts) -

Doesnt surprise me since it's on PC

#28 Posted by DarthRamms (559 posts) -

@xboxdone74 said:

@MonsieurX: why would I disappear? Being as successful as I am, I am regularly called away from owning pc beggars to attend to business.

Shame none of those games are goty worthy. Sigh...decade without one for pc. Hows dark souls 2, casual boy? Gonna at least beat the first boss

Of demons souls?

Keep on beggin. B-)

any goty worthy games on the ps4?

And I'm pretty sure he's not a fan of dark souls

#29 Posted by Krelian-co (11641 posts) -

it's gamespot, if you still care about gamespot reviews you are doing something wrong

#30 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7441 posts) -

@jhonMalcovich: Revisiting a classic series rarely turns out well, and in all honesty, I would have scored Civ 5 worse than a 7 if I were reviewing it at launch. A 7 isn't bad. If this game gets updated as much as Civ, it could be a real gem. I'm withholding judgement until I actually play it, though.

#31 Posted by naz99 (1523 posts) -

I'm sorry but anyone who bases a games worth on a single review from Gamespot is an utter Numpty

#32 Edited by MonsieurX (30830 posts) -

@xboxdone74 said:

Of demons souls?

Keep on beggin. B-)

Avoiding questions as usual,classy clown!

Asked about the PS4 games,considering it's currently having 2AAE,1AE. I guess those 3 games are GOTY worthy?

Listed 6AAE and 3 AE for PC only released in February and Mars.

#33 Posted by naz99 (1523 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@xboxdone74 said:

Of demons souls?

Keep on beggin. B-)

Asked about the PS4 games,considering it's currently having 2AAE,1AE. I guess those 3 games are GOTY worthy?

Listed 6AAE and 3 AE for PC only for february and mars.

There are PC games on Mars?

That explains the probe they sent :P

#34 Posted by MonsieurX (30830 posts) -

@naz99 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@xboxdone74 said:

Of demons souls?

Keep on beggin. B-)

Listed 6AAE and 3 AE for PC only for february and mars.

There are PC games on Mars?

That explains the probe they sent :P

#35 Posted by foxhound_fox (89402 posts) -

@jhonMalcovich said:
Playing the game online may require some firewall configuration

This his first PC game?

#36 Posted by hoosier7 (3880 posts) -

I think i'll leave it unless it gets a good expansion, i'm still playing Civ 5 atm and have a big online game that we're into. I like the building aspect the most and it seems this game slims down on that which is disappointing. UI is a bit meh too.

#37 Edited by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@xboxdone74 said:

Of demons souls?

Keep on beggin. B-)

Why must you always dance my monkey puppet, and always change the topic? For a year I've been asking you how many PC exclusives won goty gen 7. Answer the question, and keep on beggin'. :}

#38 Posted by MonsieurX (30830 posts) -

@xboxdone74 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@xboxdone74 said:

Of demons souls?

Keep on beggin. B-)

Why must you always dance my monkey puppet, and always change the topic? For a year I've been asking you how many PC exclusives won goty gen 7. Answer the question, and keep on beggin'. :}

For a year? But you've been here only since November... alt accound confirmed,bandoger.

Anyway,ask you initially about the games on the PS4,but you never answer here.

What a clown

#39 Posted by texasgoldrush (9265 posts) -

This game will get better when they add more content....from the looks of it a necromancer class and a Halfling race will be added as DLC.

#40 Edited by Kjranu (1041 posts) -

Me thinks they should have gotten a LOTR license and then make the game. Instant 10.

#41 Edited by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

@MonsieurX: why must you dance, monkey puppet? Just answer the question.

#42 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

Its a matter of opinion and news flash, not everyones opinion is the same as yours.

If you like a game and enjoy it then why in the hell would you care what someone else thinks? How does it effect your life personally?

#43 Edited by lostrib (39048 posts) -

@Gargus said:

Its a matter of opinion and news flash, not everyones opinion is the same as yours.

If you like a game and enjoy it then why in the hell would you care what someone else thinks? How does it effect your life personally?

...are you new here?

#44 Posted by MonsieurX (30830 posts) -

@xboxdone74 said:

@MonsieurX: why must you dance, monkey puppet? Just answer the question.

Keep clowning and avoiding the questions.

I guess the ownage is too strong :(

#45 Edited by Vatusus (4804 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@xboxdone74 said:

Flop of Wonders

THHBO

Ugh, you say that like its a bad thing...

Ok man, I guess only AAAE are the real games from now on. Everything else is shit.

#46 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

@MonsieurX: flop of wonders got you all salty, huh? :(

#47 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (8521 posts) -

Flop of the year. Poor hermits. Can't enjoy Sony world class gaming. :(

#48 Posted by glez13 (8891 posts) -

I will wait for more reviews. For some reason metacritic only has like five reviews, not even GS is listed.

#49 Posted by pelvist (4941 posts) -

XboxDone showing himself up again I see...

#50 Edited by MonsieurX (30830 posts) -

@xboxdone74 said:

@MonsieurX: flop of wonders got you all salty, huh? :(

Can't be easy to live with all those excellent games on the PS4

Love having that much choices