Age of Mythology Coming to Steam

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by charizard1605 (55546 posts) -

Last year, Microsoft released the greatest RTS of all time, Age of Empires II, on Steam as Age of Empires II: HD Edition, and then went on to dominate the Steam chart for weeks to come.

Looks like they want to follow up on that with a game that is only slightly less awesome- Age of Mythology might be coming to Steam, guys!

Even before Age of Empires and its sequel made it to Steam, I had been longing for Age of Mythology to see a release on Steam, or GOG.com, or anywhere. I know you feel me.

A developer stream on Twitch has hinted at Age of Mythology: Extended Edition with an image that sports the Steam logo. See the archive for yourself at the end of this archive. (Warning: it's loud.)

Having lost my original CD ages ago, I'd pay top dollar for a re-release. I'm watching random gameplay videos right now and the audio cues are sending me straight back to 2002.

SOURCE

Hnnnnngh.

So. Fucking. Pumped.

#2 Posted by lundy86_4 (42875 posts) -

Nice. I never played it, but my bro loved it, and I think there's still a hard-copy floating around.

#3 Edited by soulitane (13414 posts) -

If they improve the AI then I will definitely buy this again. By far the best game by Ensemble.

#4 Posted by lawlessx (46444 posts) -

will get if the muitplayer is decent

#5 Posted by uninspiredcup (7641 posts) -

Ah yes, when Microsoft made good games. Now it's Halo 21 and Gears of Whatever. What a waste.

#6 Edited by fend_oblivion (6113 posts) -

Ah yes, when Microsoft made good games. Now it's Halo 21 and Gears of Whatever. What a waste.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ensemble Studios make Age of Mythology?

#7 Posted by hoplayletsplay (977 posts) -

@fend_oblivion: Which was owned by MS. They got shut down by MS after they made the halo strategy game for 360. Although they've made some of my favorite games like the original AoE and AoE2, they've lost their touch with AoE3. Oh well.

#8 Posted by sailor232 (4356 posts) -

Loved age of mythology, will buy again for steam.

#9 Edited by glez13 (8577 posts) -

This is probably my favorite RTS.

@fend_oblivion said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ensemble Studios make Age of Mythology?

It was already a MS studio when they did this game, and even before that MS was their publisher.

#10 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16252 posts) -

Looks like they want to follow up on that with a game that is only slightly less awesome

BLASPHEMY !!!!!!!!!!

I hope this is true. I want every single AOE (and spin-off) game in my steam library. They should give every game the same treatment as they did with AOE II:HD, i.e. support for modern resolutions.

Eventhough it has aged, AOM looked so awesome back in the day, and it was Ensemble's first 3D game. It had day and night, it had awesome effects, it had cyclops that would pick soldiers up and throw them.... oh my god... AOM was soooo awesome.

#11 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16252 posts) -

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't MS' gaming devision actually make a profit back before they switched from PC gaming to Xbox gaming ?

#12 Posted by kipsta77 (915 posts) -

Oh yes please!! All we need after this is a Rise of Nations HD release on Steam!!

#13 Posted by Zero_epyon (5065 posts) -

Last year, Microsoft released the greatest RTS of all time, Age of Empires II, on Steam as Age of Empires II: HD Edition, and then went on to dominate the Steam chart for weeks to come.

Looks like they want to follow up on that with a game that is only slightly less awesome- Age of Mythology might be coming to Steam, guys!

Even before Age of Empires and its sequel made it to Steam, I had been longing for Age of Mythology to see a release on Steam, or GOG.com, or anywhere. I know you feel me.

A developer stream on Twitch has hinted at Age of Mythology: Extended Edition with an image that sports the Steam logo. See the archive for yourself at the end of this archive. (Warning: it's loud.)

Having lost my original CD ages ago, I'd pay top dollar for a re-release. I'm watching random gameplay videos right now and the audio cues are sending me straight back to 2002.

SOURCE

Hnnnnngh.

So. Fucking. Pumped.

THE ZERO CLAN SHALL RISE AGAIN!

#14 Posted by glez13 (8577 posts) -

@kipsta77 said:

Oh yes please!! All we need after this is a Rise of Nations HD release on Steam!!

Oh, yes! That is probably my second favorite RTS.

#15 Edited by charizard1605 (55546 posts) -

@kipsta77 said:

Rise of Nations is the RTS. I mean, I like AoE2 more because I spent my childhood with it but objectively, there has never been an RTS that was as great as Rise of Nations. Pity what happened to BHG.

#16 Posted by Alcapello (665 posts) -

@kipsta77 said:

Rise of Nations is the RTS. I mean, I like AoE2 more because I spent my childhood with it but objectively, there has never been an RTS that was as great as Rise of Nations. Pity what happened to BHG.

How did you feel about AOE1? I never really liked AOE2..

#17 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8288 posts) -

I really, really liked Age of Mythology back in the day - I was in high school and have fond memories of it. The campaign was superb and godlike powers were a lot of fun.

#18 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

This is easily my favorite RTS of all time. Very excited about this.

#19 Edited by Seabas989 (10037 posts) -

Sweet! I love AoM.

I still have AoM installed on my PC but if they improve it then I will get it again.

Arkantos > all.

#20 Posted by PyratRum (561 posts) -

Still haven't picked up AOEII HD but this shit is day one for me.

#21 Edited by zeeshanhaider (2356 posts) -

Ahhh....brings such fond memories of AoE, AoE 2 and AoM, Ron, RoL. I really feel like crying now. MS used to produce such awesome games back in the day. Anyways, I still have hard copies for all these games.

#22 Posted by gameofthering (10094 posts) -

I think I've played this game before. I can't seem to remember though.

#23 Posted by wis3boi (31012 posts) -

@glez13 said:

@kipsta77 said:

Oh, yes! That is probably my second favorite RTS.

I still play that with some friends with hamachi. Good times

#24 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16252 posts) -

Ahhh....brings such fond memories of AoE, AoE 2 and AoM, Ron, RoL. I really fell like crying now. MS used to produce suck awesome games back in the day. Anyways, I still have hard copies for all these games.

Yeah, it's a damn shame we don't get games like AOE or RON anymore.

#25 Edited by limpbizkit818 (15033 posts) -

This is the best game Ensemble ever made. I still have it installed on my computer, disk and all. The online still works too.

As anyone user said, someone needs to bring Rise of Nations to steam. It unfortunately relied on GameSpy arcade for multiplayer.

#26 Edited by limpbizkit818 (15033 posts) -

I also hope they let us play online with Titans turned off. Those units were WAY overpowered.

#27 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29078 posts) -

I love this game. Not sure where my copy of it is, so I'll pick it up off Steam when it comes out.

#28 Edited by chessmaster1989 (29078 posts) -

I also hope they let us play online with Titans turned off. Those units were WAY overpowered.

Can't you disable them as one of the MP options? Or was that only in SP?

#29 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17026 posts) -

I still have AOM and AOM:Titans, boxes and all, but the greatest RTS of all time deserves another purchase.

#30 Posted by glez13 (8577 posts) -

Wasn't that the point? Titans basically were a way to finish a match just like building a wonder and keeping it until the timer gets to zero.

#31 Posted by harry_james_pot (10351 posts) -

I loved that game! :D Definitely getting it on steam.

#32 Posted by limpbizkit818 (15033 posts) -

@limpbizkit818 said:

Can't you disable them as one of the MP options? Or was that only in SP?

If you were playing the Gold Edition or the expansion pack online there was no way to turn them off.

#33 Posted by EducatingU_PCMR (537 posts) -

Bring it on B)

#34 Posted by charizard1605 (55546 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@kipsta77 said:

How did you feel about AOE1? I never really liked AOE2..

Haha, I'm the other way around

#35 Posted by foxhound_fox (87372 posts) -

It's not AoEII.

I couldn't care less.

#36 Posted by charizard1605 (55546 posts) -

It's not AoEII.

I couldn't care less.

AoE2 is already on Steam.

#37 Edited by foxhound_fox (87372 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

It's not AoEII.

I couldn't care less.

Yes, I own it. I could not care less about Age of Mythology.

I'm sure it's a perfectly good game, but it's not AoEII.

#38 Posted by PyratRum (561 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

It's not AoEII.

I couldn't care less.

What exactly are you trying to do here then? Troll? Post count? Or simply be a douche?

#39 Edited by hoosier7 (3777 posts) -

I hope they do better than the AoE2 HD remake, graphically it wasn't much of an improvement and sorely missed gameplay features like grouping were missed. It's still painful to control large armies as you can only select a certain number still so wind up leaving stray units strewn about the place as you advance.

Fingers crossed anyway. Rise of Nations needs a steam release though, my mate robbed my copy and i think one of the hosting programmes no longer supports it or something for multiplayer?

#40 Posted by AdrianWerner (27960 posts) -

@pyratrum said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@charizard1605 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

It's not AoEII.

I couldn't care less.

What exactly are you trying to do here then? Troll? Post count? Or simply be a douche?

Propably all three

#41 Edited by foxhound_fox (87372 posts) -

@pyratrum said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@charizard1605 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

It's not AoEII.

I couldn't care less.

Celebrate the greatness of AoEII.

#42 Posted by bulby_g (1014 posts) -

Nice! I still have the disk but I will buy again to have it on Steam. :) Hopefully they add some nice extras!

Just hope they do a decent full remake of AOE1/ROR next! I'd be happy with that as an AOE4 really.

#43 Edited by voljin1987 (687 posts) -

nice.. would buy it for the OST alone

#44 Posted by Lucianu (9315 posts) -

Age of Mythology and Rise of Nations are at a tie for my favorite RTS of all times, a steam release would be welcome.

#45 Posted by CwlHeddwyn (5314 posts) -

@Lucianu: totally agree, Age of Mythology and Rise of Nations are awesome games. Can't wait to get them on steam.

#46 Posted by Zaraxius (205 posts) -

As long as Steam is collecting all the garbage it can, sure, why not...

#47 Posted by DarkLink77 (31695 posts) -

Last year, Microsoft released the greatest RTS of all time

Impossible. Microsoft has nothing to do with StarCraft.

#48 Posted by illmatic87 (15100 posts) -

Playing it again made me realize that it's not that great compared to the more recent RTS games we have now. Greatest RTS of all time; I'd put Shogun 2, CoH, SupCom, WarCraft III and StarCraft 2 over it.

Micromanaging farms is annoying, Grouping/formation system finicky, Resource/trading system mindless and some civilizations feel too homonginized compared to others. Online was pretty funny too, most people were playing it like a city builder--demanding 30 min no rush--and just throw a massive army at each other. Fortunately there were some pretty nice game modes that are really interesting (but not really played by the online community)

Charizard should just get with the times and move onto other--better--RTS games. :)

#49 Posted by charizard1605 (55546 posts) -

Playing it again made me realize that it's not that great compared to the more recent RTS games we have now. Greatest RTS of all time; I'd put Shogun 2, CoH, SupCom, WarCraft III and StarCraft 2 over it.

Micromanaging farms is annoying, Grouping/formation system finicky, Resource/trading system mindless and some civilizations feel too homonginized compared to others. Online was pretty funny too, most people were playing it like a city builder--demanding 30 min no rush--and just throw a massive army at each other. Fortunately there were some pretty nice game modes that are really interesting (but not really played by the online community)

Charizard should just get with the times and move onto other--better--RTS games. :)

Played Warcraft 3, CoH out of those, and I also played Sins (though I know that is more of a 4x).

Viewed in context of when all these were released? AoM is better. Of course, AoM has also aged (and one would hope that this remake will modernize these mechanics a little).

Also, I never called AoM the greatest RTS of all time- I specifically said Rise of Nations and Age of Empires 2 are better :-3

#50 Posted by PyratRum (561 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Last year, Microsoft released the greatest RTS of all time

Impossible. Microsoft has nothing to do with StarCraft.

You spelled Company of Heroes wrong.