After finishing Second Son

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

picked this up for $13 with the trade in of killzone and another game. Was it worth it? It's ok. The graphics aren't as great as people make them out to be. It's a jump from last gen for sure and feels like how a superhero game should be but it's a pretty barebones game for the most part and not that impressive. It feels like sony took the formula of uncharted storywise and character wise. Kind of a cheesed version though. Mechanically the game runs smooth. The graphics are crisp although the city isnt as detailed as some of the more polished games from last gen. It's an ok game. Does it give me hope for the future overly that these developers do anything besides create worlds to play around in and lack any vision any vision as far as game development besides the status quo? Not overly. For as much money as these guys make, pay someone else to make games because these developers and corporations don't deserve it.

I wish some of these review sites would stop giving these games good reviews too and grow a pair and speak the truth. Everyone is out for themselves and as long as they are getting paid they don't care. Hence the issue. MOst people will screw everyone else over at the drop of a hat and lack any real vision whatsoever. Followers. Thing is the same will happen this gen and more features will be added to the same formula over and over and review sites will give these games 10's. Boring.

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2  Edited By Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts

@_Matt_ one more use for my gif!!!

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#3 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@Solid_Max13 said:

Sounds about correct.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17421 Posts

I wouldnt say overrated, more like a return to form.

The first was amazing, only held back by blurry graphics.

The second felt rushed and repetitive, but pretty good. Got bored after 4hrs.

Second Son is like a blend of the first game with Uncharted. The voice acting and cutscenes are so much better.

I agree that the side quests are repetitive, but the main story is far better. I especially like destroying the bases and the showdowns.

Epic-gamerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 Epic-gamerz
Member since 2014 • 222 Posts

it's your own fault if you were expecting GTA + superpowers

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

@Celtic_34 said:

picked this up for $13 with the trade in of killzone and another game. Was it worth it? It's ok. The graphics aren't as great as people make them out to be. It's a jump from last gen for sure and feels like how a superhero game should be but it's a pretty barebones game for the most part and not that impressive. It feels like sony took the formula of uncharted storywise and character wise. Kind of a cheesed version though. Mechanically the game runs smooth. The graphics are crisp although the city isnt as detailed as some of the more polished games from last gen. It's an ok game. Does it give me hope for the future overly that these developers do anything besides create worlds to play around in and lack any vision any vision as far as game development besides the status quo? Not overly. For as much money as these guys make, pay someone else to make games because these developers and corporations don't deserve it.

I wish some of these review sites would stop giving these games good reviews too and grow a pair and speak the truth. Everyone is out for themselves and as long as they are getting paid they don't care. Hence the issue. MOst people will screw everyone else over at the drop of a hat and lack any real vision whatsoever. Followers. Thing is the same will happen this gen and more features will be added to the same formula over and over and review sites will give these games 10's. Boring.

BINGO!

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

It's honestly your fault for expecting anything different TC. You got caught up in the hype. Good thing you only paid $13 for it, sucks that you traded in other games to get it though.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

I was actually really surprised at how much I'm loving Infamous Second Son. While it doesn't work all that well right now, the mystery conduit missions where you have to utilize a set of clues on the internet is pretty cool.

And for some reason, I'm really invested in tackling all the side missions. I love hunting down hidden cameras. The only thing I don't care for are having 30+ enemies thrown at me at one time. Getting to the very end of that and dying on the last enemy is such a waste of time.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

First 2 games were barely above average, and you expected the new one to be that much better why?

It looked like infamous. I'm sure it's fun in spurts, and I'm sure it becomes mind numbing and rote by the halfway point .That is what Infamous is, as a franchise.

stationplay_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 stationplay_4
Member since 2014 • 444 Posts

i thought it was pretty good. on my evil playthrough now.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

Nah. Game is great. Top open world game so far. Get a ps4 and try it out, man. You just might like it.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

I have only played about 40 minutes so far, but the game looks absolutely amazing. I'm still in awe of the visuals, but I haven't played enough to give it a proper rating.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

This is my first foray into the series but I've had a lot of fun with it. Sucks that you didn't enjoy it as much op.

We may get an overabundance of iterative releases, but I feel that evolution is not always a bad thing. I'm hoping that it won't get too far into that pattern but as history serves so far there have been a lot of unique things. We will have plenty of games that change up the dynamics so don't fret.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

Got the game but haven't started yet, just finished dark souls 2 last night. Still got 3 games i haven't finished yet, castlevania 2 los, south park sot, and infamous ss

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
  1. Theres a sticky for a reason
  2. How about you lay off the new thread button for a while.
Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts

Trading in two games is not getting it for $13. You got raped. Can't believe people are still stupid enough to buy into theses Gamestop trade in scams.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

Graphically its the best looking game Ive ever seen, anyone who says the visuals are OK or nothing special have either not played it or there a hater. It looks stunning. Even the reviews that gave it 6's said it looked amazing. But honestly im loving the game. I would give it a solid 9. I just beat it as a hero and the game is good enough to warrant another play through. As far as you saying we should pay someone else to make the games , im sorry but without millions of dollars games like Infamous, GTA5 , COD or any other big AAA title like it or not would never get made. Much passion went into Infamous: Second Son, you can see it with the teams creation of Seattle( which is stunning).

I also find it concerning you didn't like Infamous but you loved AC4 , which has some of the worst main missions I have ever played. Tail a guy listen to conversation, assassinate someone and hide, and back to tailing a guy a dozen more times. Oh and lets not forget the horribly boring outside of the Animus missions.

j_assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 j_assassin
Member since 2012 • 1011 Posts

played infamous 1 and 2 and although its not in the same level as other memorable quality games, theres something about it that makes me miss it and wanna play it every now and again.... I wish more games would have much depth in it like dark souls, valkyria chronicles, catherine...

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

The game is great to me. The only thing I was disappointed about was the graphics downgrade, but it still looks pretty good for an open world game.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@Murderstyle75 said:

Trading in two games is not getting it for $13. You got raped. Can't believe people are still stupid enough to buy into theses Gamestop trade in scams.

I mean, there's kind of two different ways to look at it, and really people who shop there without paying the business model any attention fall victim to both.

The first one -- the positive one -- you've played a single player game. You bought it new, you paid 60$ for it, you beat it in a week or two, and now it's not going to be played for months and months and months -- possibly even years, or maybe not ever. While getting 20 some odd dollars (sometimes even less) kind of sucks, it's taking money off a purchase with something that was literally going to collect dust and waste space in your home. Gamestop also runs plenty of promotions and specials that will net you a lot more credit if you milk the system. In this regard, you can actually net yourself some value out of this awful company.

The awful company part comes in the second part --

Part two -- the negative one -- the trade in program, if you don't utilize it conscientiously, is designed to sucker people out of their games, and in turn get them to buy even more games than they normally would. The mentality of getting a brand new game for less than 60$ by peddling off a handful of titles no longer used is often an enticing trick our minds play to get us to buy more games than we actually want -- this is also used by Steam with 5$ flash sales on more expensive games -- and in this model, we end up with a lot more titles we barely play because we never really wanted them to begin with, it was merely too easy to pawn off unused games and reel it in for less out-of-pocket cash. But here lies the awful cycle Gamestop can create -- you continually trade in games you're buying from them that you didn't actually want, and in turn using that credit to buy more games you don't actually want, and in turn trade those games in for more games you don't actually want.

Having worked for this company before landing a big boy job out of college, there are people who are smart enough to not let the system play them for fools, and then there are those -- far too many -- who fall into the endless cycle of mediocre purchases they don't really intend on buying. Gamestop is a scam only because their business model thrives on suckers, and for that, I can't blame them. Getting stupid people to buy things they don't want is one of the most constantly successful business models in this world. However, if you refuse to be played by the company and only utilize their model in ways that exclusively benefit you (side bar, when was the last time the word "exclusive" was used not talking about platform-specific titles?) then you can actually benefit from what they offer -- you just have to make sure you don't get suckered into their scheme while you do it.

For an example, I'll point out the time Gamestop implemented one of their first 50% extra trade-ins, where the newly-released Mass Effect 2 was trading in at a base price of 35$ and netted me 58$ at the end of the trade in (with their stupid club card, of course). I then turned around and bought it back with my employee discount for 42$.

Another example is when I got Knack in Target's buy two get one free ps4 launch promotion and sold it back to Gamestop for almost 40$.

To close it off, this is an awful company that milks suckers for all their worth and keeps them coming back, but it is possible to turn it in your favor if you're mentally strong enough not make rash purchases.

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

bla bla bla blog it

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

I feel sorry for cows that they are degraded to hype crap like Infamous: No Shadow Edition - a Prototype ripoff.

kipsta77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kipsta77
Member since 2012 • 1119 Posts

It looks good, if i still had my PS4 I'd get it for sure. But, just not one of those games you get a system for.

Also, I think it looked a lot better in the previews at E3, so good I was considering getting a PS4 for it, but now, not so much.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

SS looks way too close to the prior games for me to give a ****. I mean, Delsin has smoke powers but the way he uses them is just like Cole with electricity and I find that extremely boring and lazy.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

@Solid_Max13 said:

Huzzah for the gif.

Keep on trucking lil girl, keep on trucking.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#29 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@StrongBlackVine said:

I have only played about 40 minutes so far, but the game looks absolutely amazing. I'm still in awe of the visuals, but I haven't played enough to give it a proper rating.

glad u are enjoying the game I've seen some videos of the game on youtube and them graphics look real sweet.

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 cooolio
Member since 2013 • 586 Posts

@nini200 said:

It's honestly your fault for expecting anything different TC. You got caught up in the hype. Good thing you only paid $13 for it, sucks that you traded in other games to get it though.

People who get caught up in the hype express deep disappointment for something that they thought was going to be amazing. The TC did not even seem deeply distraught by his impressions.

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts

I agree with pretty well everything, OP. I did find the visuals to be really nice though, all the effects when blowing things up were impressive. But the game is lacking something, yes there is maybe 35 - 40 hours worth of gameplay but the substance is just meh. An online aspect where maybe good vs evil fight eachother in different game modes would have been cool.
It's clear sony is going in the single player direction this gen and I'm really hoping games improve from this point on. I'll most likely play the game through one more time choosing the good path and see if it changes my mind at all.

I was reallly hoping this would be the game I used my ps4 for on a regular basis, I guess I'll keep waiting for that greatness.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

@IMAHAPYHIPPO:

Yeah, you can't fall victim to their trap. I personally have a no trade in policy, I keep all my games no matter how bad or how much dust has collected. A few years ago, I started using Craigslist to sell games and it gives you way more money than GameStop. I haven't traded in or sold anything in many years, not to GameStop or Craigslist. In fact, I went all of last gen without trading or selling anything. The only stuff I ever sell to GameStop is broken stuff and I just tell them it works. Somehow I had gotten my defective 3ds to work momentarily, but the thing was broken because it would barely ever turn on and then it would have a life of its own, turning on and off and pressing buttons by itself, then closing games and opening Internet browsers, it was a broken mess. I managed to temporarily get it working and gave it to gamestop for $110 while they had a promotion going. I only deal with GameStop if I need to get rid of some garbage and they have a promotion for said garbage. The only reason I go through GameStop with broken stuff is because there's no strings attached, if they buy something broken, they just have to suck it up. Meanwhile, if you were to try that on say Craigslist or eBay, you'd be getting contacted by a very unhappy buyer.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

So what TC is saying is that the game is meh. Moving on.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/playstation-discussion-1000002/should-i-get-second-son-31165387/

in a time window of 8h you bought the game and finish it?

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

There is still an infamous sticky. Please keep this in there. Thanks