Activision needs a new plan.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 percech
Member since 2011 • 5237 Posts

Look what happened to Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero...same will happen to CoD. Now obviously, people in general get tired of the same stuff and move on to something else, to the next big thing...this will be the case with CoD 3-5 years from now. Just like with Halo, CoD can't stick with the same exact formula, because as stupid as people are...they will pick up on these things and eventually realize they're paying $60 for the same game. Now for sports games, I consider that a different story because it's the new seasons of the NFL and such that gets people in the mood.

It's the new players and stats...games like CoD and Halo are just a fad and nothing more than that. I realize I"m stating the obvious here, but I don't see why Activision is continuing with the same process that lead to the demize of Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero.

akira2465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 akira2465
Member since 2004 • 1194 Posts

Because they made a ton of money from milking Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero , they don't want a new plan. Activision is a company and they will try to sell as much as they can in the shortest period of time.

They don't worry about the next plan until they need it.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#3 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Give it about 5-6 mroe years, CoD will die down if they keep the same course they are on.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#4 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

their strategy seems to work though. Just max out the short term profit while the getting is good. There always seems to be something to exploit: Tony Hawk- Guitar Hero- Call of Duty - etc..

Why would the change their strategy if it is giving them piles of money

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
activision just milks franchises. they release them annually make as much money as they can and move on. i dont think they really care what people want as long as they make money off it
percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 percech

their strategy seems to work though. Just max out the short term profit while the getting is good. There always seems to be something to exploit: Tony Hawk- Guitar Hero- Call of Duty - etc..

GunSmith1_basic
Cuz it's going to catch up to them.
akira2465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 akira2465
Member since 2004 • 1194 Posts

[QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"]

percech

Your forgetting they have the next bungie game. If they run out of franchises they will just do the same thing and buy the next hottest dev at that time

Deathtransit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Deathtransit
Member since 2007 • 3086 Posts
They're going to rake in the record-breaking sales as long as they can... And if it finally starts to die out (and I have my doubts it will- this is a shooter, not a music or rythm party game), I'll be glad, so I do hope they run it into the ground.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#9 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

I think the difference here is that Activision with Call of Duty is taking some preventable steps. They aren't releasing more then one a year (Tony Hawk and GH have at some point had 2 or more games come out in one year, with GH having around 5 I remember).

They also don't use the same developer for every game, so Treyarch gets 2 years to work on their next Call of Duty while IW gets another two years.

Finally, while EA was sble to easily overtake them with Rock Band and Skate before in sales and scores, this time even EA's best possible effort can't even break half of CoD's sales (Battlefield 3). While Skate and Rock Band 3 outsold their Activision counterparts 2-1, EA just can't seem to stop CoD or provide an alternative for CoD fans that matches or beats what CoD fans want.

I still think the series might get run into the ground at some point, but considering how unhated Black Ops was in comparison to MW2 and MW3 by the internet, I think they'll do fine if they mix things up now and then and throw in some changes fans want for the next IW game. Honestly, at this point they should count their blessings and try not to anger the wrath of the game gods with their success, because if they don't then EA will never stop trying to make the next Call of Duty.

Avatar image for slantedandencha
slantedandencha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 slantedandencha
Member since 2005 • 367 Posts

[QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"]

percech

well seeing as how they have been making/publishing games for longer than most (if not all) companies in the industry (remember pitfall for the atari 2600?), i have a hard time believing that.

Avatar image for dr-professional
dr-professional

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 dr-professional
Member since 2011 • 497 Posts

Look what happened to Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero...same will happen to CoD. Now obviously, people in general get tired of the same stuff and move on to something else, to the next big thing...this will be the case with CoD 3-5 years from now. Just like with Halo, CoD can't stick with the same exact formula, because as stupid as people are...they will pick up on these things and eventually realize they're paying $60 for the same game. Now for sports games, I consider that a different story because it's the new seasons of the NFL and such that gets people in the mood.

It's the new players and stats...games like CoD and Halo are just a fad and nothing more than that. I realize I"m stating the obvious here, but I don't see why Activision is continuing with the same process that lead to the demize of Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero.

percech
You and a bunch of other people seem to forget that unlike COD Tony Hawk and GH did not do the following: -Break sales recors 3 games straight. -Break sells records 3 games straight. Break advertising recors 3 games straight. -Attaract more idots at launch each time 3 games straight. -Attract the casual crowd in larger number 3 games straight. -Be soo sucessful with so many players, hardcore gamers get scared and end up liking the game (Cause of friends or other reasons) 3 games straight. -Have people call it an engagin exprience with little no no changes 3 games straight. -Have people call it awesom, masterpiece, amazing, etc despite the fact the game actually looks and performs worse in more areas after each installment 3 games straight. -Get bobby Kotick no complaints about making him money or lacking funding 3 games straight, -Made sure Jrpgs did not fully resurface due to the amount of people buying the game 3 games straight. -Not being professional in a doctors opinion 3 games straight. -Somehow all games that come out after (sometimes before) these games are called COD clones (Even ones that areobviously Halo clones) 3 games straight. -They have somehow split the gamer population more and more 3 games straight. -Expanding the gap inbetween casual and hardcore gamers 3 games straight -Made EA cry in a corner after putting suspected effort in their games 3 games straight. -Get praised for being a complete package of awesomeness when the SP is a piece of crap and MP is almost luck based, 3 games straight. This is why Activision is going freaking nowhere. 3 games straight.
Avatar image for dr-professional
dr-professional

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dr-professional
Member since 2011 • 497 Posts

[QUOTE="percech"][QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"]

slantedandencha

well seeing as how they have been making/publishing games for longer than most (if not all) companies in the industry (remember pitfall for the atari 2600?), i have a hard time believing that.

Atari is still around.
Avatar image for slantedandencha
slantedandencha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 slantedandencha
Member since 2005 • 367 Posts

yes i know atari is still around, guess they were before activision..didn't check honestly. though you're right with the previous post, activision is going nowhere.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#14 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

yes i know atari is still around, guess they were before activision..didn't check honestly. though you're right with the previous post, activision is going nowhere.

slantedandencha

and I'm sure they will be going no where and making money for many decades to come

gamermonkey017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 gamermonkey017
Member since 2010 • 98 Posts

slantedandencha

Activision was formed by Atari devs who were pissed off about not getting any credit for their games. Also, they were the first ever third party publisher.

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

Tony Hawk died off more because of gaming evolving and the franchise being unable to keep up rathar than due to milking.

They killed Guitar Hero by trying to release too many of them in the same year, which hurt all music games by all developers really.

Their strategy with CoD is pretty sustainable, and it will die when the gaming commnnity gets tired of it. But, that doesn't seem to be anytime soon. They might go to far with Elite and trying to find more ways to milk each game, but probably not.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
tony hawk is a skateboarding game (mediocre genre fanbase compared to fps) guitar hero is a music game with expensive plastic and horrible music selections (also a niche genre) cod... fps (one of the leading genres out there)...with best controls out there and plays great... yeee...i dont see it dying down anytime soon...
percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 percech
[QUOTE="campzor"]tony hawk is a skateboarding game (mediocre genre fanbase compared to fps) guitar hero is a music game with expensive plastic and horrible music selections (also a niche genre) cod... fps (one of the leading genres out there)...with best controls out there and plays great... yeee...i dont see it dying down anytime soon...

You don't seem to know how the human mind behaves.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
[QUOTE="percech"][QUOTE="campzor"]tony hawk is a skateboarding game (mediocre genre fanbase compared to fps) guitar hero is a music game with expensive plastic and horrible music selections (also a niche genre) cod... fps (one of the leading genres out there)...with best controls out there and plays great... yeee...i dont see it dying down anytime soon...

if nintendo can sell same same Mario kart games.. activision can keep selling same same cod games
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#20 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
No, not now. The demand for the games is higher than ever. Post this again once that demand fluctuates.
percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 percech
[QUOTE="campzor"][QUOTE="percech"][QUOTE="campzor"]tony hawk is a skateboarding game (mediocre genre fanbase compared to fps) guitar hero is a music game with expensive plastic and horrible music selections (also a niche genre) cod... fps (one of the leading genres out there)...with best controls out there and plays great... yeee...i dont see it dying down anytime soon...

if nintendo can sell same same Mario kart games.. activision can keep selling same same cod games

I'm not talking about biggest titles(financially), what are you talking about?
GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

GH and TH died because they lost their popularity, and the demand for them was just not there anymore. All activision did was try to cash in before that happened. Now you tell me when the FPS genre has not been popular in the last decade. Yes COD needs to evolve, but that wont happen till the game starts using a new engine, or the next gen consoles come out. So at best COD will maybe have an off year in 2013, because Blackops 2 wont fail and will probably out sell Blackops 1 and MW3.