Activision is spending $500 Million on destiny

  • 81 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by Animal-Mother (26196 posts) -

In a new report

Activision is spending $500 million on Destiny

Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick is quoted recently as saying that the company is "making a $500 million bet" on Destiny, as reported by Reuters. The quote has caught fire for dwarfing the alleged $260 million Take-Two Interactive spent to "develop, produce and market" Grand Theft Auto 5. Here's where context and recognition of Destiny's infrastructure over a 10-year contract are important.

Activision is currently keeping mum because of this afternoon's upcoming year-end financial report, but a company spokesperson told Reuters on Monday the half-billion number includes "marketing, packaging, infrastructure support, royalties and other costs." The thing to pick up there is the infrastructure support, which is probably a significant expense missing from the aforementioned Grand Theft Auto 5 cost used to keep GTA Online operational. Don't forget about customer service, DLC development, and so forth.

The flaw here is to think of Destiny as a game that's pressed, shipped and forgotten. Activision Blizzard builds franchise gardens, betting big on a few company-owned pieces of intellectual property for enormous returns, as has been evidenced by Call of Duty, Skylanders, Diablo and, in the past, Guitar Hero. And if Destiny doesn't catch fire or its flame flickers, much like Guitar Hero's did, Activision has shown it has no patience for failure. The company will likely clarify the quote during or after this afternoon's investor call.

God speed activision, no way you'll make all that money back IMO.

#2 Posted by freedomfreak (38144 posts) -

Advertising. Advertising. Advertising.

#3 Posted by MBirdy88 (7137 posts) -

Depends on microtransactions, expansions and popularity.... afterall... the 2 next gen systems got nothing much else going for them atm.

its a 10 year investment... not a day 1 sales.

#4 Edited by Animal-Mother (26196 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

Advertising. Advertising. Advertising.

Those costs are still absolutely fucking nuts though. And it's absolutely insane for activision to expect the game to make an insane amount of money. They don't wanna break even they wanna blow the doors off

@MBirdy88 said:

Depends on microtransactions, expansions and popularity.... afterall... the 2 next gen systems got nothing much else going for them atm.

its a 10 year investment... not a day 1 sales.

That deal is already 4 years old luckily bungie maintains all anonymity as a studio and activision just publishes their games.

#5 Posted by RimacBugatti (1170 posts) -

@Animal-Mother: That's crazy! These games are getting way too expensive to produce. At that price it's going to be impossible to turn a profit.

#6 Edited by freedomfreak (38144 posts) -

Those costs are still absolutely fucking nuts though

Oh yeah. Definitely. Not exactly the budget of your average indie game.

#7 Posted by Animal-Mother (26196 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

Depends on microtransactions, expansions and popularity.... afterall... the 2 next gen systems got nothing much else going for them atm.

its a 10 year investment... not a day 1 sales.

Luckily the half a billion dollar investment includes "marketing, packaging, infrastructure support, royalties and other costs." T

#8 Edited by Alucard_Prime (2593 posts) -

wow, never thought there would be a game budget twice as big as the biggest GTA game yet.

#9 Posted by Wasdie (49302 posts) -

Destiny is easily a billion dollar game by itself let alone the amount of years the franchise will be out for. I think it's a smart, calculated risk. Bungie is a solid developer and it seems Activision has let them do whatever they want and have given them more than enough time to get it right.

#10 Posted by Heil68 (42573 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

Advertising. Advertising. Advertising.

Those costs are still absolutely fucking nuts though. And it's absolutely insane for activision to expect the game to make an insane amount of money. They don't wanna break even they wanna blow the doors off

@MBirdy88 said:

Depends on microtransactions, expansions and popularity.... afterall... the 2 next gen systems got nothing much else going for them atm.

its a 10 year investment... not a day 1 sales.

That deal is already 4 years old luckily bungie maintains all anonymity as a studio and activision just publishes their games.

Well I bet there is a certain number of games that have to be put out. I cant see them being ok with just 2 for 500 million. guess we'll see.

#11 Posted by B4X (2574 posts) -

Seems like the right horse to back with Bungies track record. Shit load of money though...

#12 Posted by Animal-Mother (26196 posts) -
@Heil68 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@freedomfreak said:

Advertising. Advertising. Advertising.

Those costs are still absolutely fucking nuts though. And it's absolutely insane for activision to expect the game to make an insane amount of money. They don't wanna break even they wanna blow the doors off

@MBirdy88 said:

Depends on microtransactions, expansions and popularity.... afterall... the 2 next gen systems got nothing much else going for them atm.

its a 10 year investment... not a day 1 sales.

That deal is already 4 years old luckily bungie maintains all anonymity as a studio and activision just publishes their games.

Well I bet there is a certain number of games that have to be put out. I cant see them being ok with just 2 for 500 million. guess we'll see.

No, no X amount of games to fulfill the publishing deal At least that I could find

Bungie’s next project is “well along in its development,” but Activision’s new deal with the developer isn’t intended to supplant Call of Duty, says Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter.

The analyst says that Activision’s ten-year exclusive deal with Bungie around the Halo creator’s newest property resembles Activision’s past deals with id Software, where the publisher is “funding some or all of the development and getting first dollar payback and a healthy revenue share in exchange.”

And for those of you who are interested Destiny has been in development for at least 4 years. Claiming it was "well underway" when the deal was signed in april of 2010.

#13 Edited by Boddicker (2272 posts) -

I didn't know Bungie's parent company was Activision?

Oh well, the biggest mistake Bungie made was to include a "story" that will be the same for all players. The entire point of a MMORPG (is it an RPG?) is to make your own stories.

And good Lord we need more than 3 classes and no weeaboo coddling by auto-including an elf-like race. Fail on both accounts, Bungie.

#14 Posted by NFJSupreme (5020 posts) -

So they expect to make close to a billion with this game. Good luck

#15 Edited by jake44 (1901 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

Destiny is easily a billion dollar game by itself let alone the amount of years the franchise will be out for. I think it's a smart, calculated risk. Bungie is a solid developer and it seems Activision has let them do whatever they want and have given them more than enough time to get it right.

Wasdie always knows what's up.

#16 Edited by B4X (2574 posts) -

@Boddicker said:

I didn't know Bungie's parent company was Activision?

Oh well, the biggest mistake Bungie made was to include a "story" that will be the same for all players. The entire point of a MMORPG (is it an RPG?) is to make your own stories.

And good Lord we need more than 3 classes and no weeaboo coddling by auto-including an elf-like race. Fail on both accounts, Bungie.

Ignore this. Not your post. My initial post before the edit.

Just the publisher then?

#17 Posted by NFJSupreme (5020 posts) -

@Boddicker: Activision is not bungies parent company. They are just working together on this joint project.

#18 Posted by Animal-Mother (26196 posts) -

I didn't know Bungie's parent company was Activision?

Oh well, the biggest mistake Bungie made was to include a "story" that will be the same for all players. The entire point of a MMORPG (is it an RPG?) is to make your own stories.

And good Lord we need more than 3 classes and no weeaboo coddling by auto-including an elf-like race. Fail on both accounts, Bungie.

Activision isn't the parent company.

April 29, 2010, Bungie announced that it was entering into a 10-year publishing agreement with publisher Activision Blizzard.[40][41] Under Bungie's agreement with Activision, new intellectual property developed by Bungie will be owned by Bungie, not Activision, in a deal similar to the EA (Electronic Arts) Partners Program.[41][42]

#19 Edited by Boddicker (2272 posts) -

@Boddicker said:

I didn't know Bungie's parent company was Activision?

Oh well, the biggest mistake Bungie made was to include a "story" that will be the same for all players. The entire point of a MMORPG (is it an RPG?) is to make your own stories.

And good Lord we need more than 3 classes and no weeaboo coddling by auto-including an elf-like race. Fail on both accounts, Bungie.

Activision isn't the parent company.

April 29, 2010, Bungie announced that it was entering into a 10-year publishing agreement with publisher Activision Blizzard.[40][41] Under Bungie's agreement with Activision, new intellectual property developed by Bungie will be owned by Bungie, not Activision, in a deal similar to the EA (Electronic Arts) Partners Program.[41][42]

Sooooooo..........partnering with the Devil, eh Bungie.

#20 Edited by Animal-Mother (26196 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

@Boddicker said:

I didn't know Bungie's parent company was Activision?

Oh well, the biggest mistake Bungie made was to include a "story" that will be the same for all players. The entire point of a MMORPG (is it an RPG?) is to make your own stories.

And good Lord we need more than 3 classes and no weeaboo coddling by auto-including an elf-like race. Fail on both accounts, Bungie.

Activision isn't the parent company.

April 29, 2010, Bungie announced that it was entering into a 10-year publishing agreement with publisher Activision Blizzard.[40][41] Under Bungie's agreement with Activision, new intellectual property developed by Bungie will be owned by Bungie, not Activision, in a deal similar to the EA (Electronic Arts) Partners Program.[41][42]

Sooooooo..........partnering with the Devil, eh Bungie.

I'm sure it was the best possible deal for them. Bungie owns everything, gives activision a percentage of the profit and gets world wide appeal. Not that they need it but it certainly helps.

#21 Posted by finalstar2007 (24853 posts) -

biggest budget on a game yet? :o

#22 Posted by Heil68 (42573 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@freedomfreak said:

Advertising. Advertising. Advertising.

Those costs are still absolutely fucking nuts though. And it's absolutely insane for activision to expect the game to make an insane amount of money. They don't wanna break even they wanna blow the doors off

@MBirdy88 said:

Depends on microtransactions, expansions and popularity.... afterall... the 2 next gen systems got nothing much else going for them atm.

its a 10 year investment... not a day 1 sales.

That deal is already 4 years old luckily bungie maintains all anonymity as a studio and activision just publishes their games.

Well I bet there is a certain number of games that have to be put out. I cant see them being ok with just 2 for 500 million. guess we'll see.

No, no X amount of games to fulfill the publishing deal At least that I could find

Bungie’s next project is “well along in its development,” but Activision’s new deal with the developer isn’t intended to supplant Call of Duty, says Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter.

The analyst says that Activision’s ten-year exclusive deal with Bungie around the Halo creator’s newest property resembles Activision’s past deals with id Software, where the publisher is “funding some or all of the development and getting first dollar payback and a healthy revenue share in exchange.”

And for those of you who are interested Destiny has been in development for at least 4 years. Claiming it was "well underway" when the deal was signed in april of 2010.

All I'm saying is that Activision will make their money back and more, some how some way especially since they are getting dollar payback I'm guessing this game will get close to COD numbers like 15-20 million units sold since:

A) It's a new game from Bungie

B)Available on 4 different platforms-2 that have 160 million+ install base

C) The advertising budget

Even if they sold 10 million that's 600 million in sales.

#23 Edited by Animal-Mother (26196 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@Animal-Mother said:
@Heil68 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@freedomfreak said:

Advertising. Advertising. Advertising.

Those costs are still absolutely fucking nuts though. And it's absolutely insane for activision to expect the game to make an insane amount of money. They don't wanna break even they wanna blow the doors off

@MBirdy88 said:

Depends on microtransactions, expansions and popularity.... afterall... the 2 next gen systems got nothing much else going for them atm.

its a 10 year investment... not a day 1 sales.

That deal is already 4 years old luckily bungie maintains all anonymity as a studio and activision just publishes their games.

Well I bet there is a certain number of games that have to be put out. I cant see them being ok with just 2 for 500 million. guess we'll see.

No, no X amount of games to fulfill the publishing deal At least that I could find

Bungie’s next project is “well along in its development,” but Activision’s new deal with the developer isn’t intended to supplant Call of Duty, says Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter.

The analyst says that Activision’s ten-year exclusive deal with Bungie around the Halo creator’s newest property resembles Activision’s past deals with id Software, where the publisher is “funding some or all of the development and getting first dollar payback and a healthy revenue share in exchange.”

And for those of you who are interested Destiny has been in development for at least 4 years. Claiming it was "well underway" when the deal was signed in april of 2010.

All I'm saying is that Activision will make their money back and more, some how some way especially since they are getting dollar payback I'm guessing this game will get close to COD numbers like 15-20 million units sold since:

A) It's a new game from Bungie

B)Available on 4 different platforms-2 that have 160 million+ install base

C) The advertising budget

Even if they sold 10 million that's 600 million in sales.

Well it's on 4 platforms.

#24 Edited by Sollet (7206 posts) -

I didn't know Bungie's parent company was Activision?

Oh well, the biggest mistake Bungie made was to include a "story" that will be the same for all players. The entire point of a MMORPG (is it an RPG?) is to make your own stories.

And good Lord we need more than 3 classes and no weeaboo coddling by auto-including an elf-like race. Fail on both accounts, Bungie.

You don't think you will make your own "stories and adventures" in Destiny by playing it alone/friends/strangers?
That's what most people do in MMORPGs aka memorable moments.

Every other or mmorpg out there has their stories basically set in stone at best there's the "good guys pov" and "bad guys pov" (faction based stories).

I really don't see the "big deal" here.

#25 Edited by shawn30 (4288 posts) -

They need to sell 13-15 million to recoup. No way that happens on the first one. Zero. Not a F'ing chance in this world. Even on 4 consoles they would be damn lucky to get 6-8 million, and that would be an amazing success. 500 million is simply to much, to soon. Maybe for Destiny 2 or 3 and with PC releases for both would make sense as the next gen consoles install bases would be bigger. But for Destiny 1, this will backfire no matter how good the game is.

#26 Posted by santoron (7417 posts) -

@Heil68: Sure, 10 million sold is ~$600 million in revenue, but only a portion goes to Activision. They have to divvy up that pie on platform royalties and the retail or digital store cut. You'll have to be right about CoD numbers for this to have a chance. Personally I don't see it, and I'm even a little interested in the game.

#27 Posted by Animal-Mother (26196 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

They need to sell 13-15 million to recoup. No way that happens on the first one. Zero. Not a F'ing chance in this world. Even on 4 consoles they would be damn lucky to get 6-8 million, and that would be an amazing success. 500 million is simply to much, to soon. Maybe for Destiny 2 or 3 and with PC releases for both would make sense as the next gen consoles install bases would be bigger. But for Destiny 1, this will backfire no matter how good the game is.

I think so as well.
I just think activision is just getting a tad bit nutty here.
Though again it's bungie the have name power and activision is a very big marketer.

#28 Posted by Boddicker (2272 posts) -

@Sollet said:

@Boddicker said:

I didn't know Bungie's parent company was Activision?

Oh well, the biggest mistake Bungie made was to include a "story" that will be the same for all players. The entire point of a MMORPG (is it an RPG?) is to make your own stories.

And good Lord we need more than 3 classes and no weeaboo coddling by auto-including an elf-like race. Fail on both accounts, Bungie.

You don't think you will make your own "stories and adventures" in Destiny by playing it alone/friends/strangers?

That's what most people do in MMORPGs aka memorable moments.

Every other or mmorpg out there has their stories basically set in stone at best there's the "good guys pov" and "bad guys pov" (faction based stories).

I really don't see the "big deal" here.

I don't feel like finding the article, but Bungie basically said they would have a "campaign" you could play through. AFAIK that campaign does not include "good guy" and "bad guy" pov's or choices of any kind (was not mentioned). If they did implement them I could only see them clumsily adding black/white decisions.

#29 Posted by shawn30 (4288 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

They need to sell 13-15 million to recoup. No way that happens on the first one. Zero. Not a F'ing chance in this world. Even on 4 consoles they would be damn lucky to get 6-8 million, and that would be an amazing success. 500 million is simply to much, to soon. Maybe for Destiny 2 or 3 and with PC releases for both would make sense as the next gen consoles install bases would be bigger. But for Destiny 1, this will backfire no matter how good the game is.

I think so as well.

I just think activision is just getting a tad bit nutty here.

Though again it's bungie the have name power and activision is a very big marketer.

A very good game IMO released recently with a gigantic marketing scheme, on 3 platforms totaling well over 100 million gamers, and while it has sold well thus far, I'm not betting at all it hits 8 million. Likely IMHO 4-5, which is still damn good. Activision will not sell 13-15 million Destiny games. There is zero chance of this. It will not happen.

#30 Edited by Gue1 (9094 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

No, no X amount of games to fulfill the publishing deal At least that I could find

Bungie’s next project is “well along in its development,” but Activision’s new deal with the developer isn’t intended to supplant Call of Duty, says Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter.

The analyst says that Activision’s ten-year exclusive deal with Bungie around the Halo creator’s newest property resembles Activision’s past deals with id Software, where the publisher is “funding some or all of the development and getting first dollar payback and a healthy revenue share in exchange.”

And for those of you who are interested Destiny has been in development for at least 4 years. Claiming it was "well underway" when the deal was signed in april of 2010.

All I'm saying is that Activision will make their money back and more, some how some way especially since they are getting dollar payback I'm guessing this game will get close to COD numbers like 15-20 million units sold since:

A) It's a new game from Bungie

B)Available on 4 different platforms-2 that have 160 million+ install base

C) The advertising budget

Even if they sold 10 million that's 600 million in sales.

$600m of brute revenue but when you do all the discounts the returns to Activision is not even a quarter of that. These guys will need to sell strong and scam big with microtransactions in order to make a profit out of a budget of 500 million dollars because not even selling 20 millions would make them any profit.

#31 Posted by Heil68 (42573 posts) -

@santoron said:

@Heil68: Sure, 10 million sold is ~$600 million in revenue, but only a portion goes to Activision. They have to divvy up that pie on platform royalties and the retail or digital store cut. You'll have to be right about CoD numbers for this to have a chance. Personally I don't see it, and I'm even a little interested in the game.

Then you got DLC and sure to be micro transactions.We don't know the legal specifics of the whole contract either. I somehow doubt Activsion isn't covered someway.

#32 Edited by Animal-Mother (26196 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@shawn30 said:

They need to sell 13-15 million to recoup. No way that happens on the first one. Zero. Not a F'ing chance in this world. Even on 4 consoles they would be damn lucky to get 6-8 million, and that would be an amazing success. 500 million is simply to much, to soon. Maybe for Destiny 2 or 3 and with PC releases for both would make sense as the next gen consoles install bases would be bigger. But for Destiny 1, this will backfire no matter how good the game is.

I think so as well.

I just think activision is just getting a tad bit nutty here.

Though again it's bungie the have name power and activision is a very big marketer.

A very good game IMO released recently with a gigantic marketing scheme, on 3 platforms totaling well over 100 million gamers, and while it has sold well thus far, I'm not betting at all it hits 8 million. Likely IMHO 4-5, which is still damn good. Activision will not sell 13-15 million Destiny games. There is zero chance of this. It will not happen.

Well with bungie at the top of their game at the halo series sold close to 12 million units. Granted it's halo. All those people know bungies name.

And that was on one platform. I think it has a chance. But this has to be bungie at the top of their game.

#33 Edited by shawn30 (4288 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@shawn30 said:

They need to sell 13-15 million to recoup. No way that happens on the first one. Zero. Not a F'ing chance in this world. Even on 4 consoles they would be damn lucky to get 6-8 million, and that would be an amazing success. 500 million is simply to much, to soon. Maybe for Destiny 2 or 3 and with PC releases for both would make sense as the next gen consoles install bases would be bigger. But for Destiny 1, this will backfire no matter how good the game is.

I think so as well.

I just think activision is just getting a tad bit nutty here.

Though again it's bungie the have name power and activision is a very big marketer.

A very good game IMO released recently with a gigantic marketing scheme, on 3 platforms totaling well over 100 million gamers, and while it has sold well thus far, I'm not betting at all it hits 8 million. Likely IMHO 4-5, which is still damn good. Activision will not sell 13-15 million Destiny games. There is zero chance of this. It will not happen.

Well with bungie at the top of their game at the halo series sold close to 12 million units. Granted it's halo. All those people know bungies name.

And that was on one platform. I think it has a chance. But this has to be bungie at the top of their game.

Halo 3 did, not Halo 1. y point is with a new IP its just not something I can see happening. But we shall see.

#34 Edited by santoron (7417 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@santoron said:

@Heil68: Sure, 10 million sold is ~$600 million in revenue, but only a portion goes to Activision. They have to divvy up that pie on platform royalties and the retail or digital store cut. You'll have to be right about CoD numbers for this to have a chance. Personally I don't see it, and I'm even a little interested in the game.

Then you got DLC and sure to be micro transactions.We don't know the legal specifics of the whole contract either. I somehow doubt Activsion isn't covered someway.

Yeah, DLC helps, but it sells for a fraction of the game, and only gets bought by a fraction of the install base. AND it still has to deal with giving a cut to the platform holders, and to retail stores that sold season passes for them. It helps, but it's not a juggernaut. And microtransactions? Ugh, way to make me less interested. ;P

I would imagine Activision structured the contract so that the money coming back its way goes mainly back to them instead of Bungie until the game is paid off (remember, Bungie is independent and would like to make money on this too), but there isn't really anything else Activision can do to cover themselves. They spent 500 million, and most of the revenue splits going forward are pretty baked in.

#35 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (17087 posts) -

And yet the game looks so boring....

#36 Edited by Animal-Mother (26196 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@shawn30 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@shawn30 said:

They need to sell 13-15 million to recoup. No way that happens on the first one. Zero. Not a F'ing chance in this world. Even on 4 consoles they would be damn lucky to get 6-8 million, and that would be an amazing success. 500 million is simply to much, to soon. Maybe for Destiny 2 or 3 and with PC releases for both would make sense as the next gen consoles install bases would be bigger. But for Destiny 1, this will backfire no matter how good the game is.

I think so as well.

I just think activision is just getting a tad bit nutty here.

Though again it's bungie the have name power and activision is a very big marketer.

A very good game IMO released recently with a gigantic marketing scheme, on 3 platforms totaling well over 100 million gamers, and while it has sold well thus far, I'm not betting at all it hits 8 million. Likely IMHO 4-5, which is still damn good. Activision will not sell 13-15 million Destiny games. There is zero chance of this. It will not happen.

Well with bungie at the top of their game at the halo series sold close to 12 million units. Granted it's halo. All those people know bungies name.

And that was on one platform. I think it has a chance. But this has to be bungie at the top of their game.

Halo 3 did, not Halo 1. y point is with a new IP its just not something I can see happening. But we shall see.

Yeah man it's definitely all about what else comes out, microtransactions, collectors editions, yada yada.

Game is shaping up to look like one of the best games of the year though.

#37 Posted by Sushiglutton (5171 posts) -

That's insane! I doubt Destiny sells more than 5-10 million. An MMO shooter is too time consuming to sell COD numbers. To me it's seems like the kind of game that would work best on PC, a platform it won't even release on.

#38 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3268 posts) -

this is going to flop harder than titanwall @I_can_haz roll on the image

#39 Posted by Shewgenja (7919 posts) -

If the game is as popular as WoW, they will make that back and then enough to make a fleet of boats made of money.

#40 Posted by MBirdy88 (7137 posts) -

this is going to flop harder than titanwall @I_can_haz roll on the image

scored higher than infamous... still in the top 10 in the charts near the top.... getting a massive update this month.

stop talking out of your ass.

#41 Edited by jsmoke03 (12473 posts) -

despite the coverage, im still not sure what to think of destiny. it doesnt actually look interesting. maybe im looking at it the wrong way, maybe if i thought of this as more of an mmo than an actual fps i might find something i like. im more excited for the division tbh if it comes to persistant world shooters

#42 Edited by kingtito (4728 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

They need to sell 13-15 million to recoup. No way that happens on the first one. Zero. Not a F'ing chance in this world. Even on 4 consoles they would be damn lucky to get 6-8 million, and that would be an amazing success. 500 million is simply to much, to soon. Maybe for Destiny 2 or 3 and with PC releases for both would make sense as the next gen consoles install bases would be bigger. But for Destiny 1, this will backfire no matter how good the game is.

I agree with this ^^^^^^^. I just don't see destiny selling THAT well especially after watching some of the videos.

#43 Posted by lostrib (31460 posts) -

Oh wow I forgot Activision was publishing this game. This is gonna suck

#44 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16037 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

Advertising. Advertising. Advertising.

Those costs are still absolutely fucking nuts though. And it's absolutely insane for activision to expect the game to make an insane amount of money. They don't wanna break even they wanna blow the doors off

We all know what happens when the game doesn't break even or blow the doors off.

Activision has closed many developers because their games didn't sell millions of copies.

#45 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3268 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

this is going to flop harder than titanwall @I_can_haz roll on the image

scored higher than infamous... still in the top 10 in the charts near the top.... getting a massive update this month.

stop talking out of your ass.

why are u comparing a fps to infamous? haha makes no sense and for ur information i dont have ps4 but i do have titanfall, still in the top 10 ok after the marketing budget the game had i should hope so. getting a massive update u say? well maybe ill check it out after i got bored for it after 19 hours and havnt played it in over 3 weeks.

titanfall - titanflop - titanwall

#46 Edited by Animal-Mother (26196 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@freedomfreak said:

Advertising. Advertising. Advertising.

Those costs are still absolutely fucking nuts though. And it's absolutely insane for activision to expect the game to make an insane amount of money. They don't wanna break even they wanna blow the doors off

We all know what happens when the game doesn't break even or blow the doors off.

Activision has closed many developers because their games didn't sell millions of copies.

Luckily they cannot close bungie as they are their own entity in all of this.

#47 Posted by lostrib (31460 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

this is going to flop harder than titanwall @I_can_haz roll on the image

scored higher than infamous... still in the top 10 in the charts near the top.... getting a massive update this month.

stop talking out of your ass.

why are u comparing a fps to infamous? haha makes no sense and for ur information i dont have ps4 but i do have titanfall, still in the top 10 ok after the marketing budget the game had i should hope so. getting a massive update u say? well maybe ill check it out after i got bored for it after 19 hours and havnt played it in over 3 weeks.

titanfall - titanflop - titanwall

...you made the comparison of Titanfall to Infamous

#48 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16037 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

Luckily they cannot close bungie as they are their own entity in all of this.

Oh yeah, it won't ever happen, I did not want to say that.

It's just that Activision has insane requirements when it comes to amount of copies sold. Many devs have suffered because of that and I just hope the same thing won't happen to Bungie, because 500 million is just insane. I've seen hype for this game, but not enough for Acti I'm sure.

#49 Posted by santoron (7417 posts) -

Luckily they cannot close bungie as they are their own entity in all of this.

Absolutely. I just hope they got enough of a frontend payment to keep the lights on until their next project, because they aren't likely to see a dime from the backend of this deal.

#50 Edited by Animal-Mother (26196 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Animal-Mother said:

Luckily they cannot close bungie as they are their own entity in all of this.

Oh yeah, it won't ever happen, I did not want to say that.

It's just that Activision has insane requirements when it comes to amount of copies sold. Many devs have suffered because of that and I just hope the same thing won't happen to Bungie, because 500 million is just insane. I've seen hype for this game, but not enough for Acti I'm sure.

500 million is insane and they do have ludicrous requirements considering how much money actually gets back to the publisher. I think it ranges anywhere from $17-25 dollars.

So lets say they make the maximum profit of $25 dollars back Per sold copy.

They would have to sell 20 million copies of it to break even.

Yeah activision is out of their goddamn minds.