Activision failed and Microsoft and EA won in 2012 according to metacritic.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by super600 (31122 posts) -

According to metacritc Activision failed in something in their top 11 list of best publishers of 2012 list.:lol: MS was first in the last.

What they failed in describes Activision pretty well.

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/game-publisher-rankings-for-2012-releases

Activision

:lol:

What they failed at.

Still, Activision was the sole major publisher that failed to introduce a single new IP in 2012, choosing instead to milk its existing franchises and licenses. It's hard to imagine the company moving up in our yearly rankings if it remains reluctant to take a chance on a new concept.

Also Microsoft is number 1 on the list

#2 Posted by SuperNovaftw (2500 posts) -

Whats so funny?

#3 Posted by super600 (31122 posts) -

Whats so funny?

SuperNovaftw

Read what they say about activision.

#4 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -
Activision prefers to stick to existing franchises instead of experimenting with new ones? Stop the presses.
#5 Posted by LadyBlue (3985 posts) -
If only I could fail like that. :P
#6 Posted by SuperNovaftw (2500 posts) -

[QUOTE="SuperNovaftw"]

Whats so funny?

super600

Who cares about new Ips. They're a good company since they dish out good games like Black ops 2.
#7 Posted by Yangire (8795 posts) -

If you made a thread about how Microsoft published 'higher quality' games than Sony last year than it would have gotten most posts.

#8 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (9522 posts) -
If making the kind of money Activision made in 2013 is considered failing, then I wish I could do nothing but fail like them.
#9 Posted by RR360DD (13047 posts) -
Well done Take Two, they are definitely the best publisher out there
#10 Posted by Liquid_ (2995 posts) -
If making the kind of money Activision made in 2013 is considered failing, then I wish I could do nothing but fail like them.Xaero_Gravity
You're right, but here's to hoping respawn entertainment reinvents a new FPS that destroys the existing CoD franchise.
#11 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

I don't get it how exactly they failed, this year they're ranked as 10th, while last year, MC says they were 11th. Isn't that an improvement? :?

Also, from a business standpoint, if their "milking" model brings them profit and keeps them in a better spot than most of the publishers on the list, the whole failure concept almost gets laughable.

#12 Posted by Farsendor1 (431 posts) -

I don't get it how exactly they failed, this year they're ranked as 10th, while last year, MC says they were 11th. Isn't that an improvement? :?

Also, from a business standpoint, if their "milking" model brings them profit and keeps them in a better spot than most of the publishers on the list, the whole failure concept almost gets laughable.

Rocker6

activision are great business but they are not great for gamers. 

#13 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

Farsendor1

activision are great business but they are not great for gamers. 

That's highly debatable, some may complain how everyone's copying CoD, how it ruined the FPS genre or whatever, but fact of the matter is, in no way Activision forced any developer to try and copy CoD. Furthermore, the model where many devs copy elements from some highly successful franchise is much older than CoD. Lastly, CoD as a gaming phenomenon attracted more attention to the gaming industry, making gaming more recognized as a hobby, which is a positive thing. And this is coming from someone who doesn't even play CoD games, I'm burnt out of the franchise for a couple of years now, and don't see ever coming back to it.

But I digress, the original point is, I still fail to see at what Activision exactly failed in 2012. They turned a profit, their MC rank improved, only issue is them not releasing any new IPs. But what does it matter, when the words "new IP" are no guarantee of innovation or creativity?

If Activision came up with some new IPs very similiar to the existing ones, would it matter, and would it make those the games better?

#14 Posted by DarkLink77 (31886 posts) -

Take-Two showing 'em how it's done.

#15 Posted by StaticOnTV (597 posts) -
Microsoft proves to be the best of the big 3 4 years straight once again....
#16 Posted by mariokart64fan (19699 posts) -

wow sony ms nintendo neck and neck , 2 3 4 respectively , wii dead huh not sure if any one really gets facts before spewing topics half the time here on sw

#17 Posted by LustForSoul (5911 posts) -
Lol at metacritic.
#18 Posted by sonic1564 (3265 posts) -

Xbox 360 took another win. :cool:

MICROSOFT DOMINATION CONTINUATION

#19 Posted by sonic1564 (3265 posts) -

Microsoft proves to be the best of the big 3 4 years straight once again....StaticOnTV

Yep

All PS3 has are interactive movies.

#20 Posted by StaticOnTV (597 posts) -

wow sony ms nintendo neck and neck , 2 3 4 respectively , wii dead huh not sure if any one really gets facts before spewing topics half the time here on sw

mariokart64fan
The Wii is dead, if you actually click the link they provide it's for 3DS mostly.
#21 Posted by super600 (31122 posts) -

Updated the title to include microsoft. Enjoy cows and lems.

#22 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

We all still fail anyways with EA being #1.

#23 Posted by KungfuKitten (21413 posts) -
[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="SuperNovaftw"]

Whats so funny?

SuperNovaftw

Who cares about new Ips. They're a good company since they dish out good games like Black ops 2.

You mean a good game.
#24 Posted by DarkLink77 (31886 posts) -

We all still fail anyways with EA being #1.

Goyoshi12
True f*cking story. Worst publisher of the all timez.
#25 Posted by Jebus213 (8922 posts) -
#26 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
i dont understand what is funny about this? Didnt they just release a couple of games?
#27 Posted by KungfuKitten (21413 posts) -

i dont understand what is funny about this? Didnt they just release a couple of games?campzor
Yeah according to wiki they went all out and published
The Amazing Spider-Man
Transformers: Fall of Cybertron
Skylanders: Giants
007 Legends
Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse

Funny enough Wiki forgot several other gems like the cunning FPS Battleship and MIB: Alien Crisis. Either I'm not looking close enough or maybe nobody on Wiki cares about Acti.
Ah I found another Wiki page that is more up to date. Naughty Wiki.

Angry Birds trilogy, we've all been waiting for that one
BO2 obviously
BO DecIassified, a true cIassic experience created as if we haven't learned anything about making video games yet
Prototype 2
Tony Hawk Pro Skater HD remake
Transformers Prime

Now that's a list worthy of boasting about.
I suppose if you make enough games there is bound to be something that is good, and last year that was BO2's single player portion.