Activision and Bungie Seem To Be Pretty Desperate Here...

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

So, you know how most blockbuster AAA games, after their release, have a trailer where they show footage of the game, interspersed with good review scores and quotes, to show everyone how well that game has been received?

Well, naturally, Destiny, which is the biggest AAA release of the year, also got one of these. Except, there's one snag- there aren't a great many good reviews for Destiny, right? At least, not the kinds that you use for these ads. So, Activision and Bungie were forced to dig deeper into the barrel to make this kind of ad. Like... scrapping the bottom of the barrel deeper.

Here's a snapshot:

I mean, just look at that. It has a perfect score from The Sunday Mirror and The Sun, Hobby Consolas the Daily Star, and TechTudo, BioGamerGirl, and EveryEye.It all think it's a great game too! Surely it's worth it!

P.S.: Funny story, one of the high scores they have displayed over there is XGN. XGN is a clan. At this point, they'd be better off just using random quotes from System Wars posters.

EDIT: Some quotes from these reviews:

The Sun: "Wow!"
CheatCC: "One area that excels past the Halo standard, for me, is the story. It's about aliens and space."

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

I love the game....but yes...lol...it does seem desperate when you quote "The Sun" as one of your top review scores.

Either way....the game is great fun. Didn't live up to the unreasonable expectations....whether due to consumer hype or publisher/dev hype is moot. Still....good game that ppl don't like b/c they thought it was going to be something that changed lives.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Thanks NeoGAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Blabadon said:

Thanks NeoGAF

Actually the real source is Reddit.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44556 Posts

I really don't see it being worth putting critical acclaim up if the sources aren't reputable with the audience.

If they're going to act desperate, do it right with "Tony the Tigers says 'GREAT!!' ".

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45090 Posts

thanks vgchartz

I still wanna get the game though

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Yes, I saw this ad the other day. Eyebrows were raised, chins were scratched and sighs were uttered.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

Pretty lame. Like, lame lame.

Still, Destiny is cool in my book. I love the Destructoid review on my Deadly Premonition copy. 5/5: Masterpiece. Which it is.

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts

Man, I love Destiny. Yeah there's not much of a story there, but the gameplay is so fun. It's solid and addicting to me. It's not the most immersvie experience I've ever had by a long shot.... but the game is FUN. A solid game.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Dat SKY+

Link3301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#11 Link3301
Member since 2008 • 2001 Posts

Didn't they post perfect tens from places like zoo for cod ghosts last year?

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12  Edited By carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog: Seems many gamers love the game... even though it def didnt live up to the hype. Weird game IMO. Seems most people who hate on it havent played it and are going by reviews.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23904 Posts

At least they dont use forum posts... yet.

I know one dev that took quotes from its own forum, and posted them in their advertisements.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Link3301 said:

Didn't they post perfect tens from places like zoo for cod ghosts last year?

Isn't... Isn't Zoo a... 'men's magazine'?

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

yeah its kinda laughable. the game has a bunch of zones (even with high level enemies inside) but you can't access them cuz its locked to then be sold for $10... This is the first game (i think) i ever purchase with Activision logo on the box. If they sell on disk content for $10+ im not only out of Destiny but i will make sure to never purchase anything activision related. For now im still enjoying Destiny and waiting for next week's patch that's supposed to fix reward system

edit: "One area that excels past the Halo standard, for me, is the story. It's about aliens and space." HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA my god

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#16 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

Why don't companies just make some review sites for every game they release and give it a bunch of 10s?

Things like this will generate an even greater impression of illegitimacy to the already drowning gaming journalism industry.

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CroidX
Member since 2013 • 1561 Posts

Never heard of most of them lol

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

"Pocket Lint"

HAHA

I'm almost happy this game is flopping so hard in terms of critical reception. It's about goddamn time hype doesn't win out over critical response.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Thats pretty laughable.

while the game is super addictive with friends its just laughable when trying to play it solo, its filled with flaws all over the place, its byond repitive its like the same exact levels that you keep doing over and over and over again, the drops are almost unfair and the loot? thats just lol worthy. I will get the season pass soon so i can still continue to play with friends but if they dont fix almost everything about the game then i will not support the next destiny game.

and here i had high hopes for this game due to how much people praise bungie, i dont think i'll buy another game made by bungie again after destiny.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@finalstar2007 said:

and here i had high hopes for this game due to how much people praise bungie, i dont think i'll buy another game made by bungie again after destiny.

Believe it or not, this isn't representative of how Bungie games usually are. Bungie games are usually amazing- their Halo quadrology in particular is stunning. And that is why their failure with Destiny is so baffling. Like... did they just forget how to make a good game, or what?

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

lol biogamer girl

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@getyeryayasout said:

I've noticed the movie industry doing a similar thing lately, where instead of comments from movie reviewers they use quotes from Twitter users and present them similarly to the reviewer quotes that we've become accustomed to seeing at the end of trailers. I agree, it's a bit desperate.

I too have noticed that.

Pathetic. Just pathetic. Hopefully Destiny will get better as the years go by (with DLC of course), but as of now most serious reviewers agree that it's pretty mediocre and repetitive.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Boddicker said:

@getyeryayasout said:

I've noticed the movie industry doing a similar thing lately, where instead of comments from movie reviewers they use quotes from Twitter users and present them similarly to the reviewer quotes that we've become accustomed to seeing at the end of trailers. I agree, it's a bit desperate.

I too have noticed that.

Pathetic. Just pathetic. Hopefully Destiny will get better as the years go by (with DLC of course), but as of now most serious reviewers agree that it's pretty mediocre and repetitive.

Hey, who knows, maybe Destiny might even pull a Diablo III or a Civilization V, although I really don't think Bungie has as much talent as either Firaxis or Blizzard.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@getyeryayasout said:

@Boddicker: @charizard1605: I'm having a good time with Destiny so far, but have just started my post-softcap grind and feel like I've pretty well seen everything the game has to currently offer. The frustrating thing is that it seems like they already had a full game, then dissected it to sell bits back to us as dlc later on. I really hope they have something big (and free) up their sleeve to add soon, but I'm not overly optimistic.

Well, if those rumors about the DLC and expansion content being on disc and locked off are true... then I don't think you're gonna get much of a substantial addition for free, sadly. Hopefully, the DLC is at least priced reasonably enough, and Bungie continues to support this game to lift it up from its current sorry state and turn it around. We'll see.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@getyeryayasout said:

@Boddicker: @charizard1605: I'm having a good time with Destiny so far, but have just started my post-softcap grind and feel like I've pretty well seen everything the game has to currently offer. The frustrating thing is that it seems like they already had a full game, then dissected it to sell bits back to us as dlc later on. I really hope they have something big (and free) up their sleeve to add soon, but I'm not overly optimistic.

Well, if those rumors about the DLC and expansion content being on disc and locked off are true... then I don't think you're gonna get much of a substantial addition for free, sadly. Hopefully, the DLC is at least priced reasonably enough, and Bungie continues to support this game to lift it up from its current sorry state and turn it around. We'll see.

The "DLC" is under the "expansions" they're releasing. Each "expansion" is 20$.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@bldgirsh said:

@charizard1605 said:

@getyeryayasout said:

The "DLC" is under the "expansions" they're releasing. Each "expansion" is 20$.

Goddammit Activision/Bungie.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@charizard1605: You and these pithy Destiny threads

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@finalstar2007 said:

Believe it or not, this isn't representative of how Bungie games usually are. Bungie games are usually amazing- their Halo quadrology in particular is stunning. And that is why their failure with Destiny is so baffling. Like... did they just forget how to make a good game, or what?

Well i see things how they are delivered, With Destiny being my very first full fledged Bungie game i gotta say its really bad.

What gets people so pissed about the game is that Destiny did not only have a beta but it also had an alpha! what do you get in the final game? a game with no story, a game with no background on any of its characters, no background on any of the enemies we are fighting, no background of that so called great war or anything! oh it gets better the final game still has that difficulty bug that was presented in the alpha lmao.

The Bungie.net forums are filled with people who are suggesting on how to fix and improve destiny but how does bungie reply back? by patching the game and removing everything that was good in the first place.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@nutcrackr said:

lol biogamer girl

You saw that one from NeoGaf too? Funny shit

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Boddicker

@charizard1605 said:

@Boddicker said:

@getyeryayasout said:

I too have noticed that.

Hey, who knows, maybe Destiny might even pull a Diablo III or a Civilization V, although I really don't think Bungie has as much talent as either Firaxis or Blizzard.

I too doubt it. Bungie seems to be one of the most overrated shit studios out there today. If they pull it off I foresee it taking 3-4 years rather than the 1-2 years I would expect from the companies listed.

Speaking of Firaxis it will be a long time before I forgive them for the unplayably buggy XCOM: Enemy Within. Along with it's all around bugginess there were a few gamebreakers in there too. Ironman mode was made unplayable due to corrupted saves. No patches have been released and it dropped in Nov '13. I hope to God someone calls them out on it when Civ: Beyond Earth launches.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Boddicker: Haven't yet played Enemy Within (actually, I got Enemy Unknown during the Steam sale and haven't even started on that yet), so I won't comment on that, but if it's true, that's a shame.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Boddicker

@charizard1605 said:

@Boddicker: Haven't yet played Enemy Within (actually, I got Enemy Unknown during the Steam sale and haven't even started on that yet), so I won't comment on that, but if it's true, that's a shame.

Enemy Unknown is completely playable, but occasionly freezes (especially in the late game). It's a good idea to reboot the game every hour once you reach the mid game lest the frame rate drop to slide show levels.

Ananda Gupta (the team leader) of Enemy Within lied about the late game being fixed (you could just steamroll aliens and farm), the # of new maps (many were recycled), and a few other things.

I seriously want some answers from one of the most respected devs out there today, but they don't have message boards and are remaining silent on the subject hoping that it will just go away. It's obvious that the game could have used a few more months in QA or been patched ASAP.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Boddicker said:

@charizard1605 said:

Enemy Unknown is completely playable, but occasionly freezes (especially in the late game). It's a good idea to reboot the game every hour once you reach the mid game lest the frame rate drop to slide show levels.

Ananda Gupta (the team leader) of Enemy Within lied about the late game being fixed (you could just steamroll aliens and farm), the # of new maps (many were recycled), and a few other things.

I seriously want some answers from one of the most respected devs out there today, but they don't have message boards and are remaining silent on the subject hoping that it will just go away. It's obvious that the game could have used a few more months in QA or been patched ASAP.

Yeah, it sounds like they rushed it out, and then just moved on to Beyond Earth. That's shockingly bad, and the lack of any communication or dialog from the developer's side is leaving me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Although, the rebooting problem that you speak of is something I am pretty used to with Civ V, it gets unplayable in the later portions of the game unless you exit and reboot the game. Sounds like XCOM has the same issue.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

that made me laugh.

look all the biggies!

canadian online gamer!

national post!

pocket lint!!!!!!!!

lulz.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@finalstar2007 said:

sony shooter curse.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Boddicker

@charizard1605 said:

@Boddicker said:

@charizard1605 said:

Yeah, it sounds like they rushed it out, and then just moved on to Beyond Earth. That's shockingly bad, and the lack of any communication or dialog from the developer's side is leaving me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Although, the rebooting problem that you speak of is something I am pretty used to with Civ V, it gets unplayable in the later portions of the game unless you exit and reboot the game. Sounds like XCOM has the same issue.

That's what I figured too is that they moved the XCOM team onto Beyond Earth instead of working on patching an obviously very broken game.

When and if XCOM2 is announced we'll see what they say about EW. Probably just be excuses for the inexcusable.

Oh well. Back to subject at hand.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

Saw this ad yesterday on late night television. I shake my head in sadness.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

Pretty lame. Like, lame lame.

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41  Edited By sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

@charizard1605: that commercial is garbage. I saw it today with those scores and it does sound desperate.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

A 78 on metacritic mean generally favorable reviews......

Sure they want 9s and 10s but the public just sees green and sold. Most reputable gaming websites gave them an 8 or higher which means good in eyes of many. This was unnecessary questioning its origin

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15564 Posts

"Well I think it's great and they worked really hard on it."

-Bungie employee's mother.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

Eh, I don't see the big deal. Movies do this all the time. It's a marketing exploit for the unaware.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog said:

I love the game....but yes...lol...it does seem desperate when you quote "The Sun" as one of your top review scores.

Either way....the game is great fun. Didn't live up to the unreasonable expectations....whether due to consumer hype or publisher/dev hype is moot. Still....good game that ppl don't like b/c they thought it was going to be something that changed lives.

Another Destiny apologist...so it's not Bungie's fault the game is average, it's the consumers' fault for expecting too much. Got it.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

IT's marketing the average gamer sees the hype and buys it. More sales more people playing it. People are followers. Activision preys on people and it's wrong. It's no different than the DLC or review embargos. People who don't know they do this are very naïve. Activision is creepy. I'm not sure how what they do is legal as well. It's capitalism in it's worst form. They'll then sue you for intellectual theft when they are the biggest thieves there are. They should know something about that.

False advertising is nothing new. This isn't really blatant because those are actual reviews it's just misleading. It's the same with advertising stuff that isn't even in the game then charges for it as dlc. Getting people hooked and baiting them then milking them like cows.

Destiny is for losers and people who need to get a life anyways. Activision are preying on kids too which is the sad part. I won't be playing it any time soon. That's the truth too, if people actually got a life and didn't spend their time expecting destiny is going to take over or god they might do better than companies like activision and companies like that might not exist.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Boddicker

@Vaasman said:

That actually made me chuckle.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@Boddicker said:

@Vaasman said:

That actually made me chuckle.

LOL

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

You must talk about games significantly more than you play them.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

Well they wern't going to show the below 80 scores.