Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies Gamespot Review.

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TheGuardian03 (21186 posts) -
#2 Edited by RogueStatus28 (501 posts) -

Awkward controls... Too difficult

#3 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

I might pick this up, actually.

#4 Edited by Sweenix (5395 posts) -

I would pick this up, but i recently brought tales of the abyss for the 3ds

Might later though.

#5 Posted by freedomfreak (37998 posts) -

I'll pick it up, as in download.

Shame you need to have played previous entries to keep up with this one.

#6 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

Really ? I never played those.
Damn, that makes it a lot less interesting...

#7 Posted by TheGuardian03 (21186 posts) -

@Sagem28 said:

@freedomfreak said:

You can play the previous games on pc if you know what i mean or just read about them on google, i recommend playing the trilogy and apollo justice, i am playing justice for all for the third time ( the first game ) and it's fantastic, 999 ain't got shit on Ace Attorney.

#8 Edited by GhoX (4652 posts) -

So, according to the review...

THE GOOD:

• Interesting exploration of the nature of truth
  • Discovering the motive of the culprit is empowering
  • Smart writing expertly balances thoughtful and silly

THE BAD:

• (there literally was just a minus sign)

Give it an 8 anyway.

#9 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (24117 posts) -

Will download when I get paid.

#10 Edited by freedomfreak (37998 posts) -

You can play the previous games on pc if you know what i mean or just read about them on google, i recommend playing the trilogy and apollo justice, i am playing justice for all for the third time ( the first game ) and it's fantastic, 999 ain't got shit on Ace Attorney.

:O

I do know mean what you mean 8)

#11 Edited by Jag85 (4210 posts) -

If the game has an 8, then surely it must have at least one or two flaws, right? And if it has no flaws, then shouldn't it be a 9? Sometimes, I just don't get McShea...

#12 Posted by charizard1605 (54099 posts) -

Even Ace Attorney couldn't get a 9

#13 Edited by Jolt_counter119 (3965 posts) -

3DS really may never get a 9, and when it does it's going to be something silly, like Wario Ware or an indie puzzle game.

Also to people complaining about there being no negatives, just because Tom don't see any major faults doesn't mean he found the positives to be enough to make it a 9 or higher. Just like how if a game did have some negatives, the positives could be good enough to elevate it to a higher score.

#14 Edited by R4gn4r0k (15903 posts) -

Downloading it right now. Looking forward to playing it !

I wasn't that bummed about it being download only as the price was very fair.

Even Ace Attorney couldn't get a 9

If a game without any negative points can't score a 9, you know no 3DS game can.

#15 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (5994 posts) -

@GhoX said:

So, according to the review...

THE GOOD:

• Interesting exploration of the nature of truth
  • Discovering the motive of the culprit is empowering
  • Smart writing expertly balances thoughtful and silly

THE BAD:

• (there literally was just a minus sign)

Give it an 8 anyway.

I saw that too and was liek wut?

#16 Posted by REVOLUTIONfreak (18063 posts) -

Not really. I started with the second one, and I didn't feel all that lost. I partially skipped the third one before delving into Apollo Justice, too. (Which was, admittedly, a little more jarring, but I still didn't feel totally out of my element.)

#17 Edited by Heil68 (42461 posts) -

@Sagem28 said:

@freedomfreak said:

yeah, that gives me zero interest in this game.

#18 Edited by charizard1605 (54099 posts) -

@Sagem28 said:

@freedomfreak said:

You don't have to play the previous games to play this one, if I understand correctly, it's just heavily recommended so you get all the in game references and jokes.

#19 Posted by freedomfreak (37998 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

Not really. I started with the second one, and I didn't feel all that lost. I partially skipped the third one before delving into Apollo Justice, too. (Which was, admittedly, a little more jarring, but I still didn't feel totally out of my element.)

Well, I've played absolutely nothing. If there are references and jokes and such, I'd like to know about it.

Eh, I'll see. Don't even like downloading games on the 3DS anyways.

#20 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22302 posts) -

3DS tax strikes again

#21 Posted by charizard1605 (54099 posts) -

3DS tax strikes again

Oh give that up, won't you.

#22 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11345 posts) -

I think the new rating system made it impossible for a 3DS game to get AAAE.

#23 Edited by R4gn4r0k (15903 posts) -

@Sagem28 said:

@freedomfreak said:

You don't have to. When I played the demo the game tells you all the basics.

It's just that the previous ones are fantastic and you have to play them :P

#24 Edited by R4gn4r0k (15903 posts) -

Well, I've played absolutely nothing. If there are references and jokes and such, I'd like to know about it.

Eh, I'll see. Don't even like downloading games on the 3DS anyways.

But it's like 25 euro. If I get a discount of 15 euro (normally 3DS games are 39.99) than I don't mind downloading :)

#25 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8665 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k:

It's actually highly recommended you play the previous games due to some overarching plot lines.

#26 Edited by freedomfreak (37998 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

But it's like 25 euro. If I get a discount of 15 euro (normally 3DS games are 39.99) than I don't mind downloading :)

Yeah, it is pretty cheap. I just don't like downloading stuff onto my 3DS.

#27 Posted by R4gn4r0k (15903 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k:

It's actually highly recommended you play the previous games due to some overarching plot lines.

It's been so long since I played the previous ones. We've had Apollo Justice and Miles Edgeworth 1&2 in the mean time. I don't know all the plotlines anymore :s

I'm sure you can get most of the game without playing any previous ones. They don't want to alienate new players. Of course it always helps to have played the previous ones, just like any other sequel.

That's understandable, I too have some questions about the download service, like what happens to downloaded games when your 3DS breaks or if you buy a new one? But on the other hand I like having multiple games on my 3DS without having to switch cartridges.

#28 Posted by freedomfreak (37998 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@freedomfreak said:

That's understandable, I too have some questions about the download service, like what happens to downloaded games when your 3DS breaks or if you buy a new one? But on the other hand I like having multiple games on my 3DS without having to switch cartridges.

I honestly don't know. Gotta back them up or something.

Blows my mind how Nintendo didn't implement an account feature. Especially in an age where digital content has become so important.

#29 Edited by FlamesOfGrey (7434 posts) -

Ace Attorney is one of Capcoms last high quality series along with Monster Hunter. I'm sure they'll screw it up soon but good to see they haven't yet. Have the Japanese version so, I'll get around to it eventually. Not buying it digitally with how Nintendo handles their service.

#30 Edited by siLVURcross (26100 posts) -

Will consider, still have 30 bucks credit from Fire Emblem + SMT IV.

#31 Posted by R4gn4r0k (15903 posts) -

Blows my mind how Nintendo didn't implement an account feature. Especially in an age where digital content has become so important.

Yes, when it comes to online and buying games on the eshop, Nintendo is trailing behind the competition. DD is rising each year and Nintendo needs to step it up.

#32 Edited by FlamesOfGrey (7434 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@freedomfreak said:

Yes, when it comes to online and buying games on the eshop, Nintendo is trailing behind the competition. DD is rising each year and Nintendo needs to step it up.

Until their drone of a fanbase stops making excuses, really gets vocal about it and take a stand, they won't. Nintendo had a whole generation to study the competitions online infrastructure and have a system in place for the WiI U / 3DS. Sony made constant improvements to PSN throughout the generation just by coping and studying Microsoft's online last generation.

#33 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8665 posts) -

According to neoGAF, jumping into this one is like jumping into MGS4 without playing the previous games. Guess I'll wait until I get my hands on the first 4 in the series before downloading this one.

#34 Edited by TheGuardian03 (21186 posts) -
#35 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8665 posts) -

The HD Trilogy ports are terrible according to fans of the series. Missing tracks and missing animation frames.

#36 Edited by TheGuardian03 (21186 posts) -

The HD Trilogy ports are terrible according to fans of the series. Missing tracks and missing animation frames.

DS versions it is then.

#37 Posted by T3H_1337_N1NJ4 (2076 posts) -

I love how gamespot hates the 3DS so much it doesn't even feature the game's review on the review page. Just Dance is so much better!

#38 Edited by ManInFlames-77 (291 posts) -

Dat 3DS tax at work

#39 Posted by TomMcShea (861 posts) -

According to neoGAF, jumping into this one is like jumping into MGS4 without playing the previous games. Guess I'll wait until I get my hands on the first 4 in the series before downloading this one.

I played Metal Gear Solid 4 before any of the previous games and thought it was incredible. You'll get more out of Dual Destinies if you play through the trilogy + Apollo Justice first, but it's not required.

#40 Posted by freedomfreak (37998 posts) -

Divine McShea is here :O

We are not worthy.

#41 Edited by FinalFighters (1302 posts) -

I'll buy it/download it when Nintendo gets with the times and adds an account feature for their online service.

#42 Posted by Wanderer5 (25614 posts) -

I only played the first one (have read through a lot of 2-apollo however), but just got and now downloading this game. Excited to see what the cases are going to be like. I guess I miss it before, but I kind of taken aback that this game is rated M lol.

#43 Edited by TomMcShea (861 posts) -

There are some bloody scenes, but it is kind of ridiculous that this has the same rating as, oh, Manhunt.

@Wanderer5 said:

I only played the first one (have read through a lot of 2-apollo however), but just got and now downloading this game. Excited to see what the cases are going to be like. I guess I miss it before, but I kind of taken aback that this game is rated M lol.

#44 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16281 posts) -

I've always been really interested in the games. Just never got around to playing them. Surprised the game is M though.

#45 Edited by guard12 (1657 posts) -

I like everyone else am surprised that this game got an M rating. Is there gore or something that justifies it?

#46 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8665 posts) -
#47 Edited by TheGuardian03 (21186 posts) -

@guard12 said:

I like everyone else am surprised that this game got an M rating. Is there gore or something that justifies it?

More blood, that is the reason it got an M rating.

#48 Posted by blangenakker (2034 posts) -

@guard12: Might be a scene of someone getting shot or something. You are doing murder trials in the first place

#49 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8665 posts) -

Well I just ordered all 5 DS games off of Amazon. I'll get to Dual Destines once I've finished those, just so I can get the full experience.

#50 Edited by Nengo_Flow (9200 posts) -

EightSpot.com