AC4 Black Flag A New Graphic King ? (ON PC, of course)

• 126 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4824 posts) -

I mean, for a third person game :D

After a few SweetFx touches, I was able to remove that vanilla brightish filter put over Black Flag By Ubi.

I used K-putt'e Config 1.1 preset that you can download here

And this is a result.

The screenshot are at 1080p, open them in new tabs, ZOOM IN, and compare. The difference is HUGE at 1080p.

Vanilla

SweetFx

Vanilla

SweetFx

Vanilla

SweetFx

Vanilla

SweetFx

Vanilla

SweetFx

Vanilla

SweetFx

Vanillla

SweetFx

Vanilla

SweetFx

Vanilla

SweetFx

SweetFx

SweetFx

SweetFx

#2 Posted by starjet905 (1936 posts) -

Honestly, I don't see much of a difference. Maybe my eyes are bad or something.

That said, even though it's not much of a graphics king in the technology side of things, this is easily the best looking game I've played this year. It's simply a treat for the eyes.

#3 Posted by nethernova (4116 posts) -

Congrats. No difference. You surely know how to spend your time.

#4 Edited by aroxx_ab (10103 posts) -

It looks good but sometimes i think the water in GTA V looks better...

#5 Posted by FLOPPAGE_50 (770 posts) -

Ugly game.

#6 Posted by locopatho (20384 posts) -

Yeah those look the same.

#7 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4824 posts) -

@starjet905 said:

Honestly, I don't see much of a difference. Maybe my eyes are bad or something.

That said, even though it's not much of a graphics king in the technology side of things, this is easily the best looking game I've played this year. It's simply a treat for the eyes.

Original Black Flag has pale colours. This SweetFx preset adds contrast and saturation and more definition to the colour palette without lowering original brightness of the game. Some SweetFx presets make colours even more pronounced but at expense of brightness. Well, thanks to this SweetFx touch, green plants became actually green now, and golden sand is actually golden, clothing on the character has more pronounced colours, wood on the ship looks like wood. Touches are small, but in movement, in gameplay, it all looks just gorgeous.

#8 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4824 posts) -

I guess nobody opened the screenshots in new tabs in full size and compared. Sigh.

#9 Edited by starjet905 (1936 posts) -

@jhonMalcovich said:

I guess nobody opened the screenshots in new tabs in full size and compared. Sigh.

I did. But I didn't see much of a difference. I'm going to try it myself, though. Can't really say anything until I have actually tried.

EDIT: Scratch that. SweetFX doesn't seem to like Windows 8.1.

#10 Posted by Consternated (498 posts) -

720p? What is this, Xbox?

#11 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4824 posts) -

@starjet905 said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

I did. But I didn't see much of a difference. I'm going to try it myself, though. Can't really say anything until I have actually tried.

Download the sweetFx here

as it has less files. With the official I had freezes by some reason.

Copy the rar content into your Black Flag installation directory.

Download the aforemetioned preset, here.

Go to SweetFX_preset.txt file, and update the preset path to a new preset.txt I have just downloaded.

You can also try

Verde Vision preset, which is more popular, but it´s kinda slightly darker for my taste.

You can switch ON and OFF SweetFx with F12.

#12 Posted by freedomfreak (40989 posts) -

That looks very underwhelming.

#13 Posted by j2zon2591 (2239 posts) -

Looks good but I'm not digging the art style of AC games.

#14 Edited by Pray_to_me (2877 posts) -

no sorry you wasted your money.

#15 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4824 posts) -

@Pray_to_me said:

no sorry you wasted your money.

You always troll, so I don´t care.

#16 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4824 posts) -

Don´t you people see kinda a whitish fog over Vanilla screenshots? And with SweetFx, that fog is gone and all colours look natural.

#17 Posted by TheEroica (13721 posts) -

Colors are deeper... That's all I see in difference.

As for graphics king? I don'tknow about overall technical ggraphics, but I'm always amazed at what that team does with historical settings and good god the water in black flag is the best I've ever seen. It's alive...

#18 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4824 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

Colors are deeper... That's all I see in difference.

As for graphics king? I don'tknow about overall technical ggraphics, but I'm always amazed at what that team does with historical settings and good god the water in black flag is the best I've ever seen. It's alive...

Well...if you check the first two screenshots, you can also see that clothing has more definition as well. These are slight touches, but believe me, they make difference in overall experience.

And in the next 2 screenshots that follow, you can see that the ship has a better definition.

#19 Posted by DirkXXVI (497 posts) -

In this case I like the vanilla a little better. However thats the beauty of SweetFx, people from all around come up with various settings to fit various taste.

#20 Posted by raging_user (413 posts) -

What is SweetFx exactly? it just looks like a towned down verison of some random ENB

#21 Edited by 145ty (559 posts) -

There are plenty of better looking third person games on PC. The Witcher 2 from a few years ago even looks better imo.

#22 Edited by Sushiglutton (5340 posts) -

Watching the foliage during a thunder storm is bloody epic. Never thought I'd play a game where looking at plants was this enjoyable lol.

#23 Edited by DirkXXVI (497 posts) -

@raging_user said:

What is SweetFx exactly? it just looks like a towned down verison of some random ENB

It's basically a post processing feature/app/program that people can use to adjust various color settings in the game. Very useful in games where developers decide that gray is the greatest color ever. Or in the case of Battlefield 3 allows players to remove the awful blue tint filter.

Regardless this video will explain it better then I ever could.

#24 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4824 posts) -
@raging_user said:

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/sweetfx_shader_suite_download.html

it's a mod built on the InjectSMAA shader injector, that allows you to apply a suite of post processing shader effects to your games.

You may have tried another shader injection mod before, like InjectFXAA, InjectSMAA or FXAAtool. SweetFX improves upon all of these.

You can add SMAA anti-aliasing , sharpening and tweak the color, gamma , exposure and more.

It's meant to allow you to improve the look of your games and change the look and mood of it to your liking.

If you use SMAA antialiasing instead of MSAA or an even more expensive antialaliasing technique you can also make the game run faster (than with MSAA)

But basically you don´t tweak by yourself, you download existing presets from gaming communities. And replace presets by editing SweetFX_preset.txt file

Some presets just change the game a little, and some may make it look like a cartoon.

#25 Posted by wis3boi (31472 posts) -

@FLOPPAGE_50 said:

Ugly game.

#26 Edited by Peredith (2310 posts) -

Those screens look terrible, I mean really fucking bad. Did you intentionally take shit screens and is this a troll thread?

#27 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4824 posts) -

@Peredith said:

Those screens look terrible, I mean really fucking bad. Did you intentionally take shit screens and is this a troll thread?

what you mean ? I was not trying to capture epic moments. I only captured those to show SweetFx in work. I focused on foliage, rocks, characters. This is what you do when you go for technical details.

#28 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2746 posts) -

Lol NO.It looks like a last gen game.

If you want to see a true next gen game take a look at Star Citizen or Reset.

#29 Posted by ankor77 (988 posts) -

Its tough to judge by screenshots. I started the game last night and it looks amazing on PC. soo many games to play and no time.. Today I started AC4 PC, xb1 coming with forza, cod, dr3, KI, and new mario. Luckily im off next week....

#30 Edited by menes777 (2643 posts) -

@jhonMalcovich said:

Don´t you people see kinda a whitish fog over Vanilla screenshots? And with SweetFx, that fog is gone and all colours look natural.

It might not make it look super better but I can definitely see the difference. Especially if you consider that still shots don't always convey how great it looks. Having said that, consolites are just going to deny whatever you say or show out of spite.

#31 Posted by napo_sp (285 posts) -

OP isn't intelligent enough to discuss graphics.

#32 Edited by KHAndAnime (13907 posts) -

The game is super colorful as is...and you're further saturating the colors? Lol, do you have a desaturated TV/monitor or something? Black Flag is anything but gray. It's also far from any sort of graphics king as well.

#33 Edited by AMD655 (4495 posts) -

Far from graphics king, and this game does not need SweetFX, you should have forced Ambient Occlusion if the game does not have an option already, it adds far more depth and realism than a simple saturation change.

#34 Posted by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -

Looks EXACTLY like the PS4 version.

#35 Posted by clyde46 (46634 posts) -

ITT People not clicking on the pics. I hate the fact that GS has this ridiculous compression. Also, this game runs like shit.

#36 Posted by Animal-Mother (26962 posts) -

Looks as good if not better on my PS4.......

#37 Edited by Postal_Guy (2643 posts) -

I was suprised by the graphics when I got to Havana (I wasn't impressed by the bits before that), but graphics king? hell no

#38 Edited by Renevent42 (5326 posts) -

The pictures do not do this game justice...it is absolutely gorgeous. The person who mentioned the water effects is right on...holy hell do they look good. I don't even like the Assassins Creed games but this one is outstanding. Sailing a ship through the seas while your crew sings shanties is really a thing to behold.

As far as it being the new 'graphics king' I dunno...I can think of some games that in certain areas look more technically advanced...bottom line is Black Flag's graphical presentation is beautiful though...definitely one of the nicest looking games currently on the PC (or any platform for that matter).

#39 Posted by GodspellWH (442 posts) -

@Animal-Mother:

Similar but not better on the ps4

#40 Posted by with_teeth26 (6191 posts) -

BF4, Metro LL, Crysis 3 and Arma 3 all look better. Other games as well probably.

#41 Posted by Heil68 (45224 posts) -

@locopatho said:

Yeah those look the same.

#42 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4824 posts) -
@KHAndAnime said:

The game is super colorful as is...and you're further saturating the colors? Lol, do you have a desaturated TV/monitor or something? Black Flag is anything but gray. It's also far from any sort of graphics king as well.

What I noticed is that the game is very colourful in cinematics, but in game colours are somewhat pale for me. Post your screenshots to compare. Maybe is just my monitor.

#43 Posted by jhonMalcovich (4824 posts) -

Can someone post PS4 screenshots to compare ?

#44 Edited by Chozofication (2932 posts) -

Game looks good even on the archaic PS3, a bit better on Wii U and by far best on Ps4. 2 screens -

Pretty bad shots but they're from eurogamer.

Ps4 runs at a LOCKED 30fps which is a first for the series, as long as I can remember the AC games chugged and had tearing.

It's still a cross generation game, I think Witcher 3 will be the first game to take full advantage of the Ps4 and cutting edge PC's. Infamous Second Son looks fantastic as well.

#45 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3853 posts) -

Looks to me like AC4 has a lot of post processing going on.

#46 Posted by TheEroica (13721 posts) -

@clyde46: I can't speak for pc or gen7 consoles, or the wiiu, but it runs very buttery smooth on my ps4... What are some of the complaints you've seen/heard?

#47 Posted by AMD655 (4495 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

@clyde46: I can't speak for pc or gen7 consoles, or the wiiu, but it runs very buttery smooth on my ps4... What are some of the complaints you've seen/heard?

PC version.

#48 Posted by uninspiredcup (9006 posts) -

Arma 3, Crysis 3, other games and stuff, you are wrong, e.t.c....

#49 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4824 posts) -

@Chozofication said:

Game looks good even on the archaic PS3, a bit better on Wii U and by far best on Ps4. 2 screens -

Ps4 runs at a LOCKED 30fps which is a first for the series, as long as I can remember the AC games chugged and had tearing.

It's still a cross generation game, I think Witcher 3 will be the first game to take full advantage of the Ps4 and cutting edge PC's. Infamous Second Son looks fantastic as well.

The PS4 version look kinda as pale as PC version to me. Besides I am using TXAA 2X antialising to smooth the borders arround the character model, especially arround the head.

It looks like PS4 version is using FXAA antialising

#50 Edited by Chozofication (2932 posts) -

@jhonMalcovich said:

@Chozofication said:

The PS4 version look kinda as pale as PC version to me. Besides I am using TXAA 2X antialising to smooth the borders arround the character model, especially arround the head.

Gamespot does something funky to screenshots. I think the Ps4 and Xbone versions are using a higher quality version of the AA in the Ps3/360 versions. Ps4 can process some damn good AA, down the line games should look perfectly crisp.

Here's the DF article http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps4-ac4-patch-analysed-in-depth