A whole new war has started

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by evildead6789 (6819 posts) -

That the ps4 is stronger than the xboxone we all know but apart from that the ps4 isn't that strong either, and we all know pc's are allmighty when it comes to power.

Of course, if the pc only has cross platform titles (or pc specific titles) and it doesn't have a platform that combines everything to ensure plug and play, the pc isn't always that interesting. It's a lot easier to make friends on a console because of the unified platform and blue screens and error messages is something no pc-gamer is spared of. All things considered it's not like the next gen consoles are 'that' weak.

However, with the making of the virtuox omni, the virtualizer, oculus rift, sony's new vr headset and other companies that jump on this new vr thing the pc could truly dominate this gen. Because simply put , the consoles won't be able to handle vr very well. Those vr sets need a lot of power so you won't get motion sick of the crappy framerates. What sony is doing with their vr baffles me, they could very well undermine their own customers base or they have to build games that are not really next gen , so the ps4 can render them at 60 fps. Or maybe the 'cloud' will do it, who knows.

But why is this so important, everybody loves the couch or the desk but as much as we like to be couch potatoes , sitting kills you simply because our body is made for moving and the couch is nice to have some rest. But hours and hours of gaming, while your heart is pumping adrenaline because of the tension the games deliver while sitting down...

makes you feel like crap after hours and hours of gaming. Off course the younger you are the less negative side effects , and smoking calms you down also. People who have very physical jobs won't be jumping on this like crazy either.

But a lot of people have deskjobs, or pretty passive jobs , or no job at all and it makes you feel weak and dead especially when you're smoking too after long gaming sessions. The vr thing is just what a modern gamer needs, crazy adventures, crazy firefights while working out, finally a reason to dish that cancer stick. And if you had enough you just go back to the desk or the couch

What do you think, you ready to leave the couch or the desk, or you want to keep on playing on the couch or the desk (or dear lord, you think the kinect is the answer...) ?

Virtuox omni

Virtualizer

http://www.oculusvr.com/

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/sony-s-ps4-vr-headset-could-blow-oculus-rift-out-the-water-1221791

http://www.roadtovr.com/vrelia-vreye-three-vr-headsets-oculus-rift-competitor/

For those who can't wait. The game 'the fight' on the ps3 is pretty good to get you out of the couch.

#2 Edited by br0kenrabbit (12639 posts) -

It's a lot easier to make friends on a console because of the unified platform and blue screens and error messages is something no pc-gamer is spared of.

1. Being able to return to the same server with the same people playing time and again allows more community (a thus making friends) than being thrown on a random peer-hosted game each time you play.

2. Upgrade from Windows 98 already. I haven't had a blue screen in nearly a decade, and the only error message I've ever gotten on my PC is "Login or password do not match" when I typoed.

As for VR, we'll see.

#3 Edited by lostrib (31433 posts) -

tl;dr

going to guess it's mostly bullshit

#4 Posted by evildead6789 (6819 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit: maybe you never had blue screen or error message because you work with standard hardware. I may have had 5 blue screens in the last 3 years and error messages do happen now and then and i have to look on google for a solution, you never had this, i say you don't have a lot of games (or pheriperals) on your system, or you don't spend that much time on your pc, or you're very lucky. Consoles are better when it comes to plug and play and it has always been like that.

#5 Posted by evildead6789 (6819 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit: And if you play the same game you can come back to the same community but if you play a lot of games , it's nice when you made friends on different games that are all on one list. Suddenly you see them play a game you like or vice versa and the community is more interconnected

#6 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12639 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit: maybe you never had blue screen or error message because you work with standard hardware. I may have had 5 blue screens in the last 3 years and error messages do happen now and then and i have to look on google for a solution, you never had this, i say you don't have a lot of games (or pheriperals) on your system, or you don't spend that much time on your pc, or you're very lucky. Consoles are better when it comes to plug and play and it has always been like that.

You obviously have no idea who you're talking to. I not only overclock and liquid cool, but I have a full flight sim cockpit setup (throttle quadrant, switch panel, yoke, rudder pedals, gauge panel, radio panel) , several force feedback joysticks (not rumble, force feedback), an LCD projector and three monitors all on the same system.

I currently have 79 games installed via CD, DVD, Steam and EA Origins.

I have four HDDs in RAID 0,1 and dual-boot Windows 7 and Gentoo Linux.

Next?

#7 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12639 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit: And if you play the same game you can come back to the same community but if you play a lot of games , it's nice when you made friends on different games that are all on one list. Suddenly you see them play a game you like or vice versa and the community is more interconnected

Everyone I know uses Steam. You can add all your games to Steam, even the ones that aren't on the Steam service. It just pops up a message saying "X is playing non-Steam game Y".

Next?

#8 Edited by evildead6789 (6819 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:

Everyone I know uses Steam. You can add all your games to Steam, even the ones that aren't on the Steam service. It just pops up a message saying "X is playing non-Steam game Y".

Next?

but steam is not the only platform on pc, you also have origin, uplay and a bunch of games that don't release on steam. The fact you get a message in steam somebody is playing a non steam game doesn't make it so you can play it with them and that person has to be logged on to steam too.

#9 Edited by evildead6789 (6819 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit: @br0kenrabbit:

@br0kenrabbit said:

@evildead6789 said:

You obviously have no idea who you're talking to. I not only overclock and liquid cool, but I have a full flight sim cockpit setup (throttle quadrant, switch panel, yoke, rudder pedals, gauge panel, radio panel) , several force feedback joysticks (not rumble, force feedback), an LCD projector and three monitors all on the same system.

Next?

All that and no blue screens or error messages, ever? And everything works from the get go right, everything just magically falls into play. A console is better in plug and play. Just power on and it works.

Besides ever tried to split voice chat on steam . Probably not

STop derailing this thread or trolling for that matter

#10 Posted by lostrib (31433 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:

@evildead6789 said:

Next?

All that and no blue screens or error messages, ever? And everything works from the get go right, everything just magically falls into play. A console is better in plug and play.

STop derailing this thread

None of that is true

#11 Edited by br0kenrabbit (12639 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:

@br0kenrabbit said:

@evildead6789 said:

Next?

All that and no blue screens or error messages, ever? And everything works from the get go right, everything just magically falls into play. A console is better in plug and play.

No blue screens or errors, because I've done it a million times.

If you're getting blue screens and errors, the computer isn't at fault, the user is. Everyone I know who has trouble with their PC has installed shit that shouldn't be installed (from Bonzi Buddy to mysearchdial and so on) or they fuck with things they have no idea how to use (regedit, overclocking, etc.).

We use Ventrilo for voice chat, like most other PC gamers.

Pointing out your incorrect assumptions isn't derailing the thread, it's correcting you.

#12 Posted by CrownKingArthur (3678 posts) -

pros vs n00bs

go

#13 Edited by evildead6789 (6819 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit:

@br0kenrabbit said:

@evildead6789 said:

@br0kenrabbit said:

@evildead6789 said:

Next?

No blue screens or errors, because I've done it a million times.

If you're getting blue screens and errors, the computer isn't at fault, the user is. Everyone I know who has trouble with their PC has installed shit that shouldn't be installed (from Bonzi Buddy to mysearchdial and so on) or they fuck with things they have no idea how do use (regedit, overclocking, etc.).

We use Ventrilo for voice chat, like most other PC gamers.

Pointing out your incorrect assumptions isn't derailing the thread, it's correcting you.

It is , i started this thread to talk about vr not about the fact that you can flawlessy work with a computer. A console just powers on and everything is already there, you don't need to install additional software, configure anything. The ease of use of a console when it comes to gaming is much higher than with a pc for john doe. Maybe the steam machines will change that but that is besides the point here.

#14 Posted by Wasdie (49300 posts) -

I feel you've never played games on a PC for any extended period of time. Making friends and finding gaming buddies on the PC is infintily easier thanks to a massive suite of community building tools like forums, Steam Community, and 3rd party VoiP programs. Furthermore stuff like blue screens only happen when failures of hardware happen, just like the RRoD and the other problems the PS4/Xbox One have had. It's extremely rare. It's not the early 2000s anymore, PCs have gotten far more robust and stable.

#15 Edited by br0kenrabbit (12639 posts) -

It is , i started this thread to talk about vr not about the fact that you can flawlessy work with a computer. A console just powers on and everything is already there, you don't need to install additional software, configure anything. The ease of use of a console when it comes to gaming is much higher than with a pc for john doe. Maybe the steam machines will change that but that is besides the point here.

It's not derailing when you yourself brought it up. For you failing memory:

and blue screens and error messages is something no pc-gamer is spared of.

#16 Posted by evildead6789 (6819 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:

It's not derailing when you yourself brought it up. For you failing memory:

and blue screens and error messages is something no pc-gamer is spared of.

that's just plain nitpicking, you know very well what I meant.

#17 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12639 posts) -

A console just powers on and everything is already there, you don't need to install additional software, configure anything.

Really? Watch YouTube on the PS4. You have to do the work around because the app isn't out yet.

Netflix? App. Hulu? App. NBA Gametime? App.

#18 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12639 posts) -

And I know very well you have no idea what you're talking about.

#19 Edited by evildead6789 (6819 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

I feel you've never played games on a PC for any extended period of time. Making friends and finding gaming buddies on the PC is infintily easier thanks to a massive suite of community building tools like forums, Steam Community, and 3rd party VoiP programs. Furthermore stuff like blue screens only happen when failures of hardware happen, just like the RRoD and the other problems the PS4/Xbox One have had. It's extremely rare. It's not the early 2000s anymore, PCs have gotten far more robust and stable.

I've been playing on the pc since the nineties, i even had an amiga and c64. If you're talking about the average gamer, not everyone wants to search proactively for friends or install 3th party apps. On a console you just add a friend through the game and everything works from the get go.

When you talk to console gamers a lot gonna say the same thing, playing with the pc is a hassle, maybe not for you and me but for a lot of people it is. A console is just easier and it's also the reason they're so successfull. If shops would preinstall pc with steam so it boots immediately on big picture or they sell steam machines it may attract more gamers to the pc platform. Because you're right, it is a lot easier than it was in the past, and with everything installed correctly it pretty much works flawlessly but not all shop owners do that for you.

The other day i knew someone who wanted to play a steam game and his pc was still ok apart from the gpu and he didn't want to change the videocard even after numerous youtube videos how to do it. The he just bought a new pc with a bad videocard, it was better than than other one though but for his budget he couldn't find a prebuild machine with a decent videocard. STill that specific steam game brought him onto the pc and now he wants me to build him a computer when i sent him some far cry 3 screenshots.

My point is that the pc, even with the treshold it has for the average consolegamer can attract a lot more gamers if this vr thing is succesfull. That was my point with the the whole new war thing.

#20 Edited by evildead6789 (6819 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:
A console just powers on and everything is already there, you don't need to install additional software, configure anything.

Really? Watch YouTube on the PS4. You have to do the work around because the app isn't out yet.

Netflix? App. Hulu? App. NBA Gametime? App.

It's just a release of new console, child diseases will always be there

#21 Posted by dotWithShoes (4796 posts) -

I like how he keeps saying "You just turn on the console, and everything works from the get go".. sure it does.

#22 Posted by speedfog (2841 posts) -

I'm ready to use all that to play Skyrim, fallout 3 and new vegas without teleporting / transporting.

#23 Posted by MBirdy88 (7133 posts) -

@evildead6789: you lost me with your stupid opening statement on pc gaming.

#24 Posted by evildead6789 (6819 posts) -

@MBirdy88: sure everyone wants a pc, because it's the perfect system

#25 Edited by GarGx1 (2381 posts) -

It could turn FPS esport into an actual physical sport, where physical fitness is as important as hand eye coordination and reflexes.

#26 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15724 posts) -

There was a period from the early to mid 2000's when hardware failure was widespread. Blame the capacitor plague.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

As for electronics head gear? Nah. I'm not sold on it yet.

#27 Edited by always_explicit (2619 posts) -

@GarGx1 said:

It could turn FPS esport into an actual physical sport, where physical fitness is as important as hand eye coordination and reflexes.

This would end up giving actual athletes the upper hand instead of computer game enthusiasts. A tennis player for example needs fantastic hand eye co-ordination and reflexes as well as supreme physical fitness. They would destroy any computer game enthusiast if it came down to a VR FPS battle.

I think its all going to boil down to what VR actually means. I think its going to be 2020 before we see anything truly exciting to come from VR.

There are going to be a lot of MYST style...."explore this world slowly and solve puzzles" before we see any "run run run, bang bang bang" fun.

#28 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

The entire PC vs console being about seating position is inexcusable.

This is why Valve decided to (and I quote): 'nobody else was doing it so we decided to'

#29 Edited by evildead6789 (6819 posts) -
@br0kenrabbit said:

@evildead6789 said:

the pc fanboyism still runs deep into some people, of course what was I thinking that i could have an intelligent discussion about vr on system wars. My point was that the pc would gain ground because of the vr, and you start whining because i used the word blue screen but that wasn't the point, I used that word in a funny manner to emphasise the point that consoles are easier to use for most people.

If the pc's are so perfect, why do consoles sell so well, even with inferior graphics. Most people need a pc anyway to do random pc stuff, like browsing the web, watching videos etc.

The biggest reason consoles sell so well is the ease of use, the plug and play. If you want to discuss that? fine, but your fanboyism is at the virge of obsessive and your reason just above idiocracy. I mean you started a thread that the consoles biggest problem is the controller, while a lot of people use a controller on the pc, and a lot of people buy a console because of the controller.

for people reading this , you can find that thread here

#30 Posted by adamosmaki (9351 posts) -

i also never had a blue screen since windows Xp ( and that was before service pack 2 ) and i have alot of games and programs intsalled on my pc and with 3 years since my last format let alone i have some strange hardware installed such as a really old tv tuner .

Also with steam and other DD platforms nowdays gone are the days where you have to manually look for a patch

#31 Posted by evildead6789 (6819 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:

i also never had a blue screen since windows Xp ( and that was before service pack 2 ) and i have alot of games and programs intsalled on my pc and with 3 years since my last format let alone i have some strange hardware installed such as a really old tv tuner .

Also with steam and other DD platforms nowdays gone are the days where you have to manually look for a patch

Well jolly for you

really old tv tuner isn't really that strange, try messing with xbox mics

the blue screen wasn't that much of a point like i explained before

#32 Posted by GoldenElementXL (2559 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:

@evildead6789 said:

the pc fanboyism still runs deep into some people, of course what was I thinking that i could have an intelligent discussion about vr on system wars. My point was that the pc would gain ground because of the vr, and you start whining because i used the word blue screen but that wasn't the point, I used that word in a funny manner to emphasise the point that consoles are easier to use for most people.

If the pc's are so perfect, why do consoles sell so well, even with inferior graphics. Most people need a pc anyway to do random pc stuff, like browsing the web, watching videos etc.

The biggest reason consoles sell so well is the ease of use, the plug and play. If you want to discuss that? fine, but your fanboyism is at the virge of obsessive and your reason just above idiocracy. I mean you started a thread that the consoles biggest problem is the controller, while a lot of people use a controller on the pc, and a lot of people buy a console because of the controller.

There is no way evildead is serious...... Who the hell buys a console because of the controller??? Blue screens? The ONLY time I have ever had blue screens on PC is when I over do my CPU overclock. Right now PC's are just about as plug and play as anything can get. The Nvidia GeForce Experience even optimizes the graphics settings of each game for you. Driver updates happen automatically. Steam and Origin download game updates for you while you are away. The PC is far more capable and customizable than a console will ever be. Why do you think consoles are trying more and more to be like PC's? The reason consoles sell well and many people are intimidated by PC gaming, and Hermits will hate me for saying this, is price and familiarity. PC gaming is easier and not quite as expensive as the common consumer thinks. But it is more expensive than a PS4 for something similar power wise. Console exclusive games will be the largest reason why consoles continue to sell well in the future. But between the ease of use and portability of handhelds and phones, and the continuing advances is PC hardware technology, consoles are struggling to stay relevant. That is why so many people in the industry claim this may be the last console generation.

#33 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6610 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:
It's a lot easier to make friends on a console because of the unified platform and blue screens and error messages is something no pc-gamer is spared of.

1. Being able to return to the same server with the same people playing time and again allows more community (a thus making friends) than being thrown on a random peer-hosted game each time you play.

2. Upgrade from Windows 98 already. I haven't had a blue screen in nearly a decade, and the only error message I've ever gotten on my PC is "Login or password do not match" when I typoed.

As for VR, we'll see.

I have a Windows 7 PC from 2013 (laptop) and it has blue screened 4-5 times. If you think PCs have been flawless since the day of Windows 98 you are gravely mistaken.

#34 Posted by evildead6789 (6819 posts) -

@Mozelleple112:

@evildead6789 said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

@evildead6789 said:

There is no way evildead is serious...... Who the hell buys a console because of the controller??? Blue screens? The ONLY time I have ever had blue screens on PC is when I over do my CPU overclock. Right now PC's are just about as plug and play as anything can get. The Nvidia GeForce Experience even optimizes the graphics settings of each game for you. Driver updates happen automatically. Steam and Origin download game updates for you while you are away. The PC is far more capable and customizable than a console will ever be. Why do you think consoles are trying more and more to be like PC's? The reason consoles sell well and many people are intimidated by PC gaming, and Hermits will hate me for saying this, is price and familiarity. PC gaming is easier and not quite as expensive as the common consumer thinks. But it is more expensive than a PS4 for something similar power wise. Console exclusive games will be the largest reason why consoles continue to sell well in the future. But between the ease of use and portability of handhelds and phones, and the continuing advances is PC hardware technology, consoles are struggling to stay relevant. That is why so many people in the industry claim this may be the last console generation.

Blue screens do happen but for the upteenth time, that was said in a funny manner. Of course blue screens are not the reason to not buy a pc but a lot of gamers will avoid the pc because it doesn't work always perfect, for them. For a console to crash you have either play very long, put it in a closed cabinet while playing, or play in the sahara in direct sunlight. A pc can refuse to play a game (or the way you want it) for numerous reasons, especially when you want to play in on your tv with a controller... and especially when you're an idiot when it comes to pc's in general and a lot of console gamers are. So yeah people do buy a console to play with a controller.

Consoles are not trying to be like pc's, they may want some functionalities of it, but it's still a closed platform otherwise they would ship it with the normal windows os.

It may be easier than in the past, but still powering on a console and slipping in the disc beats updating windows, installing drivers, installing patches, removing virusses, getting to know an os that's made for a lot more than gaming, etc.. Its kinda normal too, every console is the same with standardized pheriperals, made for gaming and pc's are very diverse in hardware and pheriperals and in functionality, windows or mac isn't made just for gaming. You can't expect it to work like a console.

If console exclusives were the main reason people bought a console, hardly anyone would play on xbox anymore. Price may have been an issue in some points in time but mostly you can make a pc for the same price and the same functionality, maybe a bit more in certain points in time but a pc can do a lot more too, and who doesn't need a pc (or laptop) nowadays. Of course to do that for that price, you need someone that can assemble the right parts, install it configure it, and be 24/7 available to help you when you encounter a problem and even if they buy a prebuild, which one to buy then, those gamers don't know which gpu, cpu , motherboard and psu they need. For them, pc gaming is a nightmare.

Familiarity is probably the reason why then don't buy it, after searching for an hour for their game to work. I'm not saying pc gaming is difficult but a lot of console gamers don't know the difference between a pc and a refrigerator, figuratively speaking of course. They tremble when they have to press a 'next' button.

Still even for me who's pc savvy, i still find a console easier to use, Of course, when everything is installed on the pc it works pretty good but getting there was a lot more work than going to the shop buying a console and hook it up to my tv. Also, I still need to go from my couch to my monitor to do something i cannot do from my couch to make the game work like i want it to, or i have to press a next button or alt tab, or whatever my controller can't do in windows. Voice chat isn't split from the master volume in steam and playing non steam games will require attention. I won't sum up every little extra thing you have to do on the pc to make the stuff work like you want it, but all those little things are for a lot of people a hassle and for people who don't understand pc's very well.. a nightmare.

So yeah consoles are easier especially when you prefer controllers, but the longer their lifecycle the uglier the games and that's when I play on the pc (with a controller lol)

#35 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12639 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:

@evildead6789 said:

As for VR, we'll see.

I have a Windows 7 PC from 2013 (laptop) and it has blue screened 4-5 times. If you think PCs have been flawless since the day of Windows 98 you are gravely mistaken.

Being a laptop, that's likely a overheating issue. The heat is causing a hardware component to fault. I've never owned a laptop nor will I: they suck. All of them.

#36 Posted by wis3boi (30880 posts) -

@lostrib said:

tl;dr

going to guess it's mostly bullshit

you're winner

#37 Edited by evildead6789 (6819 posts) -

@Mozelleple112 said:

@br0kenrabbit said:

@evildead6789 said:

As for VR, we'll see.

Being a laptop, that's likely a overheating issue. The heat is causing a hardware component to fault. I've never owned a laptop nor will I: they suck. All of them.

Now with that , i must agree

#38 Edited by br0kenrabbit (12639 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:
It may be easier than in the past, but still powering on a console and slipping in the disc

And waiting for system updates and game updates over a slow-ass proprietary network, and hoping it doesn't brick your system.

beats updating windows,

Automated

installing drivers

Automated

installing patches

Automated

removing virusses

User fault. In nearly 30 years of computer use I've never had a virus. The people whose PCs I'm constantly removing viruses from are those who download anything on a whim and have a dozen+ items loading on startup. You can't fix stupid.

getting to know an os

Really?

Its kinda normal too

I have no idea what you're referring to here, but I'm going to say you're wrong anyway.

#39 Edited by evildead6789 (6819 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:

@evildead6789 said:
It may be easier than in the past, but still powering on a console and slipping in the disc

And waiting for system updates and game updates over a slow-ass proprietary network, and hoping it doesn't brick your system.

beats updating windows,

Automated

installing drivers

Automated

installing patches

Automated

removing virusses

User fault. In nearly 30 years of computer use I've never had a virus. The people whose PCs I'm constantly removing viruses from are those who download anything on a whim and have a dozen+ items loading on startup. You can't fix stupid.

getting to know an os

Really?

Its kinda normal too

I have no idea what you're referring to here, but I'm going to say you're wrong anyway.

Really, then every thing has to be set to automated , you have to know where you set these things to automated, you even have to know these things need to be updated, just like you need to know you don't shut down a computer by disconnecting electricity.

These things seems al very easy to you , but you really have no idea about other people. You're what they call an 'idiot savant' and a troll because of it, which makes it sad, so very sad

#40 Edited by br0kenrabbit (12639 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:

If the pc's are so perfect, why do consoles sell so well, even with inferior graphics.

First-party marketing. Walk into a Wal-Mart and the first thing you see near the entrance are big posters for the PS4 and Xbox One, the new CoD, etc.

I can count the number of TV ads I've seen for PC games on one hand and still have enough fingers to pick shit up with.

Marketing goes a long way to drive sales, that's why companies spend so damn much on it.

#41 Edited by br0kenrabbit (12639 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:

Really, then every thing has to be set to automated , you have to know where you set these things to automated, you even have to know these things need to be updated, just like you need to know you don't shut down a computer by disconnecting electricity.

These things seems al very easy to you , but you really have no idea about other people. You're what they call an 'idiot savant' and a troll because of it, which makes it sad, so very sad

No, Windows Vista/7/8 have automated updates on by default.

An 'idiot savant' would indicate that I'm only good at one thing, and that most certainly isn't the case. I just happen to take anything I do seriously enough to actually educate myself on it, from PC gaming, piloting (and I don't mean sims, though I do that, too), hell I even taught myself how to rebuild an engine simply because I drive.

It's a pity people go through life skipping like a stone across the surface and never even stop to contemplate what's underneath. Like I said in a post above, you can't fix stupid.

#42 Edited by evildead6789 (6819 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:

beats updating windows,

Automated

installing drivers

Automated

installing patches

Automated

removing virusses

getting to know an os

Really?

Its kinda normal too

And i have to repeat myself again, child deseases, the xbox360 network works fast enough, the ps3 network was good too (allthough not in the beginning)

#43 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6610 posts) -

@Mozelleple112 said:

@br0kenrabbit said:

@evildead6789 said:

As for VR, we'll see.

I paid $600 for a laptop with a GTX 660M and an i5 CPU. 1080p gaming on the go. I've never been in to laptops, but I needed one for my service in the military so that I had something to do in my spare time (obviously couldn't bring my desktop to camp, lol) and I was going to need a laptop for university this year anyways. Was contemplating a Macbook Pro.

#44 Edited by br0kenrabbit (12639 posts) -

I paid $600 for a laptop with a GTX 660M and an i5 CPU. 1080p gaming on the go. I've never been in to laptops, but I needed one for my service in the military so that I had something to do in my spare time (obviously couldn't bring my desktop to camp, lol) and I was going to need a laptop for university this year anyways. Was contemplating a Macbook Pro.

I understand needing one for your profession, and hey sometimes there's no way around that. However, I still stand by my statement that they suck. I would never recommend one to someone who didn't HAVE to have one. But yes, sometimes that is the case.

These days if all someone wants a PC/laptop for is web surfing, I don't even recommend a PC, I point them toward tablets. The WWW was an accidental 'killer app' for the PC and moved it from a business/niche hobbyist system to a mainstream appliance, and I've not heard the end of it since.

#45 Posted by evildead6789 (6819 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit:

@evildead6789 said:

No, Windows Vista/7/8 have automated updates on by default.

An 'idiot savant' would indicate that I'm only good at one thing, and that most certainly isn't the case. I just happen to take anything I do seriously enough to actually educate myself on it, from PC gaming, piloting (and I don't mean sims, though I do that, too), hell I even taught myself how to rebuild an engine simply because I drive.

It's a pity people go through life skipping like a stone across the surface and never even stop to contemplate what's underneath. Like I said in a post above, you can't fix stupid.

Maybe, but when you restart your pc for whatever reason and it starts updating, installing for an hour when you don't have that hour to spare, then you will search to disable that. Consoles need updates too but a lot less, simply because it has less functionalities.

This still doesn't cover driver updates, virus scans or whatever, all things you don't have on a console simply because it's tailor made for gaming, a pc isn't.

Yes but you can be an idiot savant for one group of things like just tech stuff, and now you're going to look down on people aren't as smart as you when it comes to tech, yeah you're a real nice guy aren't you.

#46 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12639 posts) -

And i have to repeat myself again, child deseases, the xbox360 network works fast enough, the ps3 network was good too (allthough not in the beginning)

The PS3 system update 4.45 was last year, and it bricked systems.

The only real way to brick a PC is a failed BIOS flash, and most people don't even know what that is, much less how to do it. No required PC update is going to brick your box.

#47 Edited by br0kenrabbit (12639 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:

Maybe, but when you restart your pc for whatever reason and it starts updating, installing for an hour when you don't have that hour to spare, then you will search to disable that. Consoles need updates too but a lot less, simply because it has less functionalities.

This still doesn't cover driver updates, virus scans or whatever, all things you don't have on a console simply because it's tailor made for gaming, a pc isn't.

Yes but you can be an idiot savant for one group of things like just tech stuff, and now you're going to look down on people aren't as smart as you when it comes to tech, yeah you're a real nice guy aren't you.

Driver updates are indeed automated. Virus scans, too.

And I do quite well in things not related to tech. From physics to various musical instruments, spelling and grammar...hell even taking care of babies and children. I'm not a one-pony show.

And if you're getting so butthurt over forums (most especially System Wars, lol) that you're resulting to direct personal insults, I'd suggest anger management classes before you do something we will all regret.

#48 Edited by evildead6789 (6819 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:

@evildead6789 said:

The PS3 system update 4.45 was last year, and it bricked systems.

The only real way to brick a PC is a failed BIOS flash, and most people don't even know what that is, much less how to do it. No required PC update is going to brick your box.

Who buys sony tech anyway. (it's a joke cows, lol)

Yeah ok, i never said consoles were perfect, but I don't use my playstation very much and it broke down because of that crappy slot loading drive

And i don't want to defend consoles, I have both a pc and a console, for me they both have their advantages and I was a pc only guy before the hd twins came out. And if the pc had a unified platform, build in voice chat in that platform and more exclusives than don't require a mouse & keyboard (i gave up on that some time ago) i probably would never touch a console again. But i was making this thread for everyone and i briefly summed up the pro & cons of the consoles and pc's and why the biggest market is with the consoles.

But that the pc may gain ground on the consoles because of it's vr capabilities, maybe you should give your opinion on that instead of making this a pc vs console war based on a pre-vr time. Because that's what I think it's going to look in 5 years. The system wars of pre-vr gaming.

#49 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12639 posts) -

Who buys sony tech anyway. (it's a joke cows, lol)

Yeah ok, i never said consoles were perfect, but i never had a playstation.

And i don't want to defend consoles, I have both a pc and a console, for me they both have their advantages and I was a pc only guy before the hd twins came out. And if the pc had a unified platform, build in voice chat in that platform and more exclusives than don't require a mouse & keyboard (i gave up on that some time ago) i probably would never touch a console again. But i was making this thread for everyone and i briefly summed up the pro & cons of the consoles and pc's and why the biggest market is with the consoles.

But that the pc may gain ground on the consoles because of it's vr capabilities, maybe you should give your opinion on that instead of making this a pc vs console war based on a pre-vr time. Because that's what I think it's going to look in 5 years. The system wars of pre-vr gaming.

In 5 years PCs as we know them now will be on their way out. As I said in a post above, the WWW was an accidental killer app, and PCs only became mainstream appliances because for a decade that was simply how you got on the WWW.

They will always exist in some form as a business/hobbyist system (hobbyist here meaning PC gaming mostly) but the days of them being in nearly every home are numbered. I think as the enthusiasts reclaim the market, and the market again begins to cater to the enthusiasts, you're going to see a real shift from Windows to more streamlined Linux-based OS systems.

Most people don't need a PC with smartphones and tablets around, and those who have PCs are again going to be those people who know what they're doing and who demand a more focused, if esoteric product.

#50 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6610 posts) -

@Mozelleple112 said:

I understand needing one for your profession, and hey sometimes there's no way around that. However, I still stand by my statement that they suck. I would never recommend one to someone who didn't HAVE to have one. But yes, sometimes that is the case.

These days if all someone wants a PC/laptop for is web surfing, I don't even recommend a PC, I point them toward tablets. The WWW was an accidental 'killer app' for the PC and moved it from a business/niche hobbyist system to a mainstream appliance, and I've not heard the end of it since.

Well you are absolutely right. Laptops are a compromise solution. If you are sitting on the same spot 8 hours a day there is NO reason what so ever to get a laptop, as with a desktop you get better performance for a lower cost, can modify and exchange parts, connect to a better display, etc.