A Vita or a Shield tablet + controller?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

Going on holiday soon and I've exhausted all the 3DS games I'm interested in. Really can't decide which of these to buy. Games are limited on both but I do like JRPG's so Vita has some potential perhaps and I could use the Shield kit for remote play at home. What are the best games on each? I've got Persona 4 already and don't really want to play the remake tbh. Much as I loved it I don't make a habit of replaying such long games.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

Well if you're actually into JRPG crap then a vita might be okay. Your rig looks pretty beefy so I imagine you;d have quite a few options as far as things to remote play on your shield. I'm not sure if remote play is lag free or not though, Most of the indies on vita can be bought on steam. It really comes down to how much you want to play the Japanese stuff the vita has to offer.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bulby_g

@inb4uall said:

Well if you're actually into JRPG crap then a vita might be okay. Your rig looks pretty beefy so I imagine you;d have quite a few options as far as things to remote play on your shield. I'm not sure if remote play is lag free or not though, Most of the indies on vita can be bought on steam. It really comes down to how much you want to play the Japanese stuff the vita has to offer.

I'm into JRPG's but not the really obscure stuff. Not interested in strange panty shot games and what not. Things like the Tales of series, Final Fantasy (well maybe not the Lightning ones), Suikoden, Star Ocean, that sort of thing. I see a lot of JRPG series I've never tried though so would need some guidance. Even PS1/2 games that I can DL on it would be good, I'm sure I missed some. Suikoden 1/2/3 for example of they can be played on it?

I get reasonable results doing Steam streaming to my laptop so if it's as good/better than that service it could work well for me. Does it have many worthwhile games as a standalone system though? I don't have an Android device (bar an old phone) so I'm clueless as to what is available.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@bulby_g said:

@inb4uall said:

I'm into JRPG's but not the really obscure stuff. Not interested in strange panty shot games and what not. Things like the Tales of series, Final Fantasy (well maybe not the Lightning ones), Suikoden, Star Ocean, that sort of thing. I see a lot of JRPG series I've never tried though so would need some guidance. Even PS1/2 games that I can DL on it would be good, I'm sure I missed some. Suikoden 1/2/3 for example of they can be played on it?

I get reasonable results doing Steam streaming to my laptop so if it's as good/better than that service it could work well for me. Does it have many worthwhile games as a standalone system though? I don't have an Android device (bar an old phone) so I'm clueless as to what is available.

I hate most JRPGs so I'm not the one to ask for guidance. Try @Blabadon, @darkspineslayer, or @charizard1605

These are the Gamestream compatible games though.

http://shield.nvidia.co.uk/pc-game-list/

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

both suck and tablet is on a old chipset

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

Game Streaming sucks, and is expensive

Were in the digital download age, just get some tablet that can run emulators and new app games

screw nvidia screw streaming games right now paying up the butt for a old game to stream it is outrageous

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

well shield tablet is a lot more to carry and it would require internet for streaming games

but the vita is ....well, lolvita

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bulby_g

So it's lol Vita and lol Shield basically? I'm tempted to just grab a Vita as it works out much cheaper. For £170 odd I can get one with Tearaway, Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Escape Plan and TxK. Done a quick run down and there are enough games that interest me to warrant a purchase I think. Many of them I could play on other platforms but being portable is a plus to me.

Gravity Rush

Tearaway

Ys: Memories of Celceta

Uncharted: Golden Abyss

Wipeout 2048

Muramasa Rebirth

Killzone: Mercenary (Would buy if I can find it cheap, too short otherwise)

Freedom Wars

The Sly Collection

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD

Child of Light

Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD Remaster

Grim Fandango Remastered

Rayman Legends

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

Atelier Totori Plus: The Adventurer of Arland (A few others in the series too it seems but I'd want to try one out first)

Tales of Hearts R (love Tales games but random battles put me off a bit these days)

Plenty of PS1/2 games I could grab on the store too and I'm likely to end up with a PS4 at some point so Remote Play will be nice if it works well.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

shield tablet is 20th century device

psp vita = 19th century device

nvidia and google done f around sony seems to be doing that tho especially on ugly multipalts and terrible support of the vita

if ur gamer go pc

if ur casual go pc

sony needs to revive the vita with lush support like the wiiU and 3ds is recieving lush fresh titles

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

Shield

why?

more games......

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#11 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Personaly, vita

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@bulby_g: There are a multitude of JRPGs on Vita. Including Suikoden, Suikoden 2, both for £3.99 each. You can get all the final fantasy games up to 10, the original Wild Arms, ys, a few Tales games, Persona, there are more. There's even a souped up version of Lunar The Silver Star but I prefer the original because it actually has the overworld instead of a list of shortcuts. If you buy the mega drive/genesis collection you can get the Phantasy Star 2-4 cheap as well. Just a pity Shining Force 2 wasn't on there.

It is a great system for the JRPG. A decent system for the retro fan (being that you can play all of the ps one games on the PSN store plus others like neo geo games and capcom collections etc). It's a good system for the indie games (Shovel knight released yesterday, stuff like that and spelunky in abundance).

If you're looking for a hand held system you could do a lot worse. Nice piece of kit. Feels good in the hands.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

Vita is good with JRPG, especially with PS1 classics and PSP DL games.

On Vita, Ys: Memories of Celceta is great, and so is Persona 4 Golden.

Tales don't have random battles, they are symbol encounters. Probably the same for Hearts R.

I'd recommend staying away from Uncharted and Freedom Wars. Freedom Wars boss battles are great, but everything else is shit. Uncharted is just Uncharted but even worse.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@funsohng: I want to like Freedom Wars, but the game makes it hard at times

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#15 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

Vita is great for collecting tumbleweeds if you're into that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#16 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Vita is amazing. Get that.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

@lostrib said:

@funsohng: I want to like Freedom Wars, but the game makes it hard at times

"at times"?

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

@bulby_g said:

@inb4uall said:

Do you have a PSP? If not then go out and buy a Vita right now. Even on its own I love the system, you just have to understand going in that this system delivers very specific games, and what you see is what you are going to get. Check these out:

Tactics Ogre/Final Fantasy Tactics: The main reason you want a PSP/Vita. The best SRPG duology out there as far as I'm concerned.

Ys 7: Ys with a Secret of Mana party system, can't go wrong with this.

Ys Memories of Celcetta: Ys 7 with some tweaks, pretty enjoyable ride.

Brandish: A Falcolm game that came out this year, well worth a look if you want a straight up dungeon crawl.

Suikoden 1 and 2: These can be played on Vita.

Soul Sacrifice Delta: People swear by Freedom Wars and Toukiden, but this is the best Monster Hunter clone on Vita. It has some fantastic lore, a faster combat system, and a story I really liked.

Virtue's Last Reward: If you didn't buy the 3DS version because of the save issue, get it here.

Muramasa: If you don't have it on Wii this is the definitive version. Same beautiful hack and slash, it just looks better with some DLC available.

Danganronpa 1 & 2: Off the wall visual novels that I can't recommend enough. Buy the first one with the system.

Dragon's Crown: If you don't have a PS3 to play this on you are gonna want this. A... questionable Japanese take on western fantasy.

Demon Gaze: Haven't played it, but I've heard its a pretty good dungeon crawler.

The Atelier games are supposed to be really good if you don't have those on PS3. Most turn based JRPGs, aside from SRPGs, are something I generally avoid, so can't help you there.

Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines is also supposed to be unique. Like with the Atelier games I can't help you.

Edit: Don't bother with Gravity Rush. Its a unique game all right, but it controls like shit. Just pick up Rayman Legends if you want a platformer.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#19 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

I'm not a fan of gamestreaming outside of home yet. If I were you, I would go with the lolVita sense it has a great library of rpg's (older titles mostly). I have one myself, although I don't use it much. But that's another story.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Tablet can do way more. You can do multiplayer, there's chess, and some other stuff.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Does Shield have any decent games on it's own or is it just a streaming platform? Been playing Rayman on Vita lately, I like it :)

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By bulby_g

Cheers everyone, I can see from all the suggestions here and the games I've found myself that there is more than enough to support a £150 Vita purchase. Shame the memory cards are still so much but oh well! Can get an 8GB one with 5 games (4 of which I want) for £20 odd so that's not too bad.

Order placed for a Vita! Sony will be having steak tonight. I'll review getting a Shield type device when internet game streaming is a bit more solid I guess.

A few questions.

• Can I just switch out memory cards on the fly with different games on them?
  • Can anyone suggest decent games that you can play two or more player taking it in turns? Going away with friends and will be good to have something we can play together on the plane. Doesn't matter if it's a bit casual, that's probably better I guess!
  • Can I buy games like Suikoden 1/2 straight off the Vita or will I have to use my PS3? Read something strange about having to get them through a console store which didn't sound right at all to me.
  • How is remote play with a PS4 on a reasonable home network?
  • What games should I start with! Already ordered Tearaway, Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Escape Plan and TxK on the memory card. Are Atelier games random battles? Might have to grab Ys Memories of Celcetta first if so.
  • Is Suikoden 3 coming!
  • What's a good case for the Slim?
DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DocSanchez

@bulby_g: You can switch cards. You have to get the official ones though.

Don't know about 2 player games you pass along. Probably are some.

PSN store is right there on your vita. You don't need a PS3/4 for anything except remote play. You download straight to vita.

Last few times I played it pretty good. Only problem is it has less buttons so relies sometimes on the back pad which can be unreliable.

Most fun I had with it was persona 4 golden. Mortal kombat is good on it. Has a decent leaks on classics right now. No idea on Suikoden 3 though.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By bulby_g

@DocSanchez said:

@bulby_g: You can switch cards. You have to get the official ones though.

Don't know about 2 player games you pass along. Probably are some.

PSN store is right there on your vita. You don't need a PS3/4 for anything except remote play. You download straight to vita.

Last few times I played it pretty good. Only problem is it has less buttons so relies sometimes on the back pad which can be unreliable.

Most fun I had with it was persona 4 golden. Mortal kombat is good on it. Has a decent leaks on classics right now. No idea on Suikoden 3 though.

Thank you! How are game prices on the store? Are the exorbitant memory card prices offset by cheaper download prices or is it better just to grab retail copies in general? Tempted to just grab a 32 or 64 GB card and do everything digital but if the games are the same price or more to download it seems pointless.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

Vita, but only if it's the OLED one.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DocSanchez

@bulby_g: I usually wait until there is a sale on for my games. Entirely depends on the game I find. FIFA and dead or alive are full price for consoles and don't often budge. But the rest of them come down in price after a few months and wait around long enough and they will be in a sale. But the JRPGs I mentioned are pretty much all budget titles anyway.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bulby_g

New swag for my holiday arriving tomorrow:

Will order some additional games when I decide if it's cheaper to go retail or DL+ memory cards.

@misterpmedia said:

I've ordered the slim I'm afraid. :P The battery life and micro usb appeals to me more tbh. It's very much for portable use and I'm sure the screen will look better than my 3DS XL one so I'll be happy.

@DocSanchez said:

@bulby_g: I usually wait until there is a sale on for my games. Entirely depends on the game I find. FIFA and dead or alive are full price for consoles and don't often budge. But the rest of them come down in price after a few months and wait around long enough and they will be in a sale. But the JRPGs I mentioned are pretty much all budget titles anyway.

Cool, thank you. I'll check out the store when I get it and weigh up my option before jumping on retail copies now then.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@bulby_g said:

New swag for my holiday arriving tomorrow:

Will order some additional games when I decide if it's cheaper to go retail or DL+ memory cards.

@misterpmedia said:

I've ordered the slim I'm afraid. :P The battery life and micro usb appeals to me more tbh. It's very much for portable use and I'm sure the screen will look better than my 3DS XL one so I'll be happy.

@DocSanchez said:

Cool, thank you. I'll check out the store when I get it and weigh up my option before jumping on retail copies now then.

to be honest if you've never witnessed first hand the OLED one then you'll be fine with the LCD. But personally can never truly recommend it to anyone due to my personal experience.

If you were bothered about battery life then you could have bought an OLED vita and Nyko Power Grip. Adds on a very noticeable length of extra battery life before the Vita battery needs to kick in to pick up the slack. The grip helps with ergonomic problems and the material it's made from feels nice on the hands.

Also for Vita, game wise, buy everything that you can get physical(less stress on your mem card, Vita physical games on Amazon are mad cheap now) and import a 64gb memory card from one of the many popular Asian sites out there. Might take a while but worth it.

As for games in general you'll want to view this: Upcoming Vita Games (OVER ~350 games with screens inside!) || 2015 Edition ||

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bulby_g

Received my Vita now and very happy with it. Been playing on Gravity Rush mostly and a quick burn on Uncharted and Tearaway to see what they're like.

@misterpmedia said:

to be honest if you've never witnessed first hand the OLED one then you'll be fine with the LCD. But personally can never truly recommend it to anyone due to my personal experience.

If you were bothered about battery life then you could have bought an OLED vita and Nyko Power Grip. Adds on a very noticeable length of extra battery life before the Vita battery needs to kick in to pick up the slack. The grip helps with ergonomic problems and the material it's made from feels nice on the hands.

Also for Vita, game wise, buy everything that you can get physical(less stress on your mem card, Vita physical games on Amazon are mad cheap now) and import a 64gb memory card from one of the many popular Asian sites out there. Might take a while but worth it.

As for games in general you'll want to view this: Upcoming Vita Games (OVER ~350 games with screens inside!) || 2015 Edition ||

Thank you. I've received it now and the screen looks fantastic on the Slim to me. Ignorance is bliss I guess. ;) I've been looking on Amazon and some games are cheaper, some more expensive. I'll do a bit of cherry picking I think and gather a bit of a collection. Cheers for the upcoming game link, that'll come in handy!