a totally subjective reason why i'm avoiding the PC this gen

• 151 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by drekula2 (1653 posts) -

I spend enough time on the computer (whether it's for my job, checking emails, surfing the internet), it's much harder to relax and enjoy a game for a few hours. To be perfectly honest, playing video games on the PC (a lot of the time) feels like work.

#2 Posted by k2theswiss (16215 posts) -

WHAT!

whats the difference playing games on pc or console? ZERO difference if that's the way you want to go BUT you do have the freedom to make it better unlike consoles

#3 Edited by MBirdy88 (6255 posts) -

Never understood this logic..... unless people are so unfit or have bad backs to the point where somehow and office chair is even remotely uncomfortable in what way is it pretty much exactly the same only your not slouched on a sofa, with less focus at a distance to a tv?

I too use a computer at work... but that is a work computer.... it may use a mouse and keyboard and a monitor, but beyond that they are worlds apart.

What is exactly work in this situation? faster loading than consoles... DL a game, click play, tune settings once... and your done.

Its much easier that it has ever been... not that it was ever hard.

#4 Posted by Heil68 (40448 posts) -

You can run your PC on your TV, sitting on the couch and using a controller if you want.

#5 Edited by drekula2 (1653 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

You can run your PC on your TV, sitting on the couch and using a controller if you want.

but then i would need to move my pc to desk every time i wanted to use it, or buy another one.

#6 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (4516 posts) -

The Difference with Consoles and PC Gaming . You only get out of a PC as Much as you put into it. You can alleviate some of that discomfort if only you wanted to or can afford to, and if you can afford a console then you can afford to.

#7 Posted by Kinthalis (5091 posts) -

Nvidia shield, Steam in home streaming, the upcoming Steam machines providing a TV friendly machine....

Seems like you're just not interested in general. I personally, even with a hoem theater PC available to me, PREFER gaming on my desk. First of all, my wife uses up much of the TV time so if that was my only way to play games, I'd hardly ever play anything. Also, the experience is so much more immersive and "in our face" at a desk vs laying back 10 feet from the screen.

#8 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (4516 posts) -

Your Subjective reasoning is based on little information. Gotta read up, buddy.

#9 Posted by R4gn4r0k (14465 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

I constantly do that. Play some competitive shooters and RTS at my desk, then switch to my couch when I play games like Assassin's Creed or Castlevania.

#10 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

sounds like the entire PC vs console wars is all based on sitting options...

#11 Posted by drekula2 (1653 posts) -

The Difference with Consoles and PC Gaming . You only get out of a PC as Much as you put into it. You can alleviate some of that discomfort if only you wanted to or can afford to, and if you can afford a console then you can afford to.

Pretty much. Maintaining a PC is like maintaining a car or maintaining a pet. The good thing about a console is that you just set up the box and come home to it with no problems. No need to update, research about specs, but extra equipment, toggle some settings on your computer if the audio doesnt work, and such.

#12 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Pretty much. Maintaining a PC is like maintaining a car or maintaining a pet. The good thing about a console is that you just set up the box and come home to it with no problems. No need to update, research about specs, but extra equipment, toggle some settings on your computer if the audio doesnt work, and such.

wrong!

PC does not require a lot of update and maintaining unless you screw around with everything and from what I have heard as it turns out consoles also do updates....dang!

#13 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (5698 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

That is, until you buy your 10th game and your hard drive is full. Then you have to figure out how to remove the internal hard drive and replace it with something that isn't way too small for next gen gaming with mandatory installs. You also have to research which fees you need to pay so you can play the games you purchase and which fees are for additional services like PS Now. Consoles really aren't any simpler than PCs at all anymore. The only thing remotely complicated about PC gaming is building the PC, which you could always just pay somebody else to do if you don't like learning how to do new things.

#14 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (4516 posts) -

@ drekula2

And in a Closed system that would be perfect. But the recent 8th Gen launch has been frustrating for alot of people, both consoles had day one updates and will require maintanence like PCs do, hell my Xbox 360's updates are way more frequent than my Linux Laptop. Granted I don't have any games on it but thats not the point. As for Reseaching about Specs and Requirements, if you're confident in your machine then you don't have to worry about, and for those on a budget can cheap out and play cheap games, consoles give you everything whether you need it or not, its a hammer enough not a Scalpel. And then theres Pricing, in the Long term a PC is cheaper thanks to software deals, you can use the money you saved to spoil your self, perhaps nice spa treatment or a decent hooker, which ever you find comfortable, console pricing could be affecting how your finances externally, causing you duscomfort outside of gaming.

Truth be told, the best thing one can do is do thorough research and figure out whats more comfortable for them specifically, factoring every little detail.

#15 Posted by leandrro (467 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

I spend enough time on the computer (whether it's for my job, checking emails, surfing the internet), it's much harder to relax and enjoy a game for a few hours. To be perfectly honest, playing video games on the PC (a lot of the time) feels like work.

put a pc on the tv

#16 Edited by Motokid6 (4596 posts) -

Xbl had me ripping my hair out last night. Apparently my account has expired.. I think. Because it just won't let me sign in to even fix it. Apparently my email no longer exists ( bulls***! ) So now I gotta get xbox on the phone ( that's always just so f***ing fun isn't it? ) to clear this up. Time out of my day.. time I could spend gaming on my pc. Which just works.. everything just works with the click of my mouse. As for maintaining the pc? Dude that's the other side of the hobby. ( and my favorite part ) God forbid you gotta actually learn something by building with your own hands though, right?

#17 Posted by Some-Mist (5629 posts) -

but bro.... you're gonna miss out on awesome titles like broforce. where else are you gonna play as snake broskin or bro dredd?

#18 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23172 posts) -

then get a wireless controller and a long hdmi cable.

it's not complex to hook this shyt up to a tv.

if you don't want to you don't even have to see the tower, it can be in the same room with your desk.

#19 Edited by Krelian-co (9079 posts) -

i work, study and play on my pc, i don't see the problem, when playing just use the tv and problem solved.

#20 Edited by lostrib (26167 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

I think you're doing it wrong

#21 Edited by Sushiglutton (5092 posts) -

That's why I'm always standing when I'm home. Sitting in a chair reminds me of work.

#22 Edited by bforrester420 (683 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

Never understood this logic..... unless people are so unfit or have bad backs to the point where somehow and office chair is even remotely uncomfortable in what way is it pretty much exactly the same only your not slouched on a sofa, with less focus at a distance to a tv?

I too use a computer at work... but that is a work computer.... it may use a mouse and keyboard and a monitor, but beyond that they are worlds apart.

What is exactly work in this situation? faster loading than consoles... DL a game, click play, tune settings once... and your done.

When you already spend 6-8 hours a day in an office chair, sometimes the last thing you want to do is unwind in an office chair. That really isn't terribly difficult to understand. I like PC gaming, but some days after work I want to lay down on the couch with a wireless controller.

Having your PC hooked up to your TV is not an ideal solution for everyone, myself included. In fact, it's a deal breaker.

#23 Posted by Joedgabe (4987 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

That is, until you buy your 10th game and your hard drive is full. Then you have to figure out how to remove the internal hard drive and replace it with something that isn't way too small for next gen gaming with mandatory installs. You also have to research which fees you need to pay so you can play the games you purchase and which fees are for additional services like PS Now. Consoles really aren't any simpler than PCs at all anymore. The only thing remotely complicated about PC gaming is building the PC, which you could always just pay somebody else to do if you don't like learning how to do new things.

Or just delete the games when you're done with them. I always do this with my console and PC. either or is always going to get filled if you don't do some maintainance of the Hard Disk and every week or so go through it and delete things you're done with. You still own the game digitally so when you want to replay it just redownload it. Same with the consoles you have the disk so it's okay to just uninstall.

#24 Posted by Roler42 (159 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

When you already spend 6-8 hours a day in an office chair, sometimes the last thing you want to do is unwind in an office chair. That really isn't terribly difficult to understand. I like PC gaming, but some days after work I want to lay down on the couch with a wireless controller.

Having your PC hooked up to your TV is not an ideal solution for everyone, myself included. In fact, it's a deal breaker.

What stops you from having a couch in your room? I have one and I use it whenever I don't feel like using my chair to game on my PC

#25 Edited by CrownKingArthur (1970 posts) -

wow. amazing.

i work on a pc, then i go home and play on the pc from the couch.

but sure yeah if you can't set your pc up like that then a console is a cheap solution for couch gaming.

#26 Edited by bforrester420 (683 posts) -

@roler42 said:

@bforrester420 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

What stops you from having a couch in your room? I have one and I use it whenever I don't feel like using my chair to game on my PC

It's a home office which also has some gym equipment, so space is already at a premium. There's a futon in there, but my little 20" PC monitor sitting on my desk would be practically un-viewable in the room's current configuration. The monitor is too small to be viewed from anywhere other than directly in front of it.

The desk is too small to fit anything larger than a 27" monitor, but a new HD monitor in that size wouldn't be a whole lot cheaper than a console anyway.

#27 Edited by lundy86_4 (41635 posts) -

Okay. Not sure why you needed to share this, but all right.

#28 Edited by Jankarcop (7978 posts) -

PC is more relaxing for me. Playing games on a consoles for me feels like work because:

• 30 fps or below. 900P. Strains my eyes. Feels like work
  • Extreme install times. Feels like a chore.
  • Paying to play an inferior online. Hassle.
  • Almost no good games on next gen systems. Feels like work, cause I have no games at work either.
  • Any shooter with thumbsticks, hell even my work is less annoying than this.
  • No competitive gaming: If I want no competition I head to my safe work environment.
#29 Edited by bforrester420 (683 posts) -

@Jankarcop said:

PC is more relaxing for me. Playing games on a consoles for me feels like work because:

• 1hour install times in xbox one. Feels like a chore, just too much bullshit.
  • Almost no good games on next gen systems. Feels like work, cause I have no games at work either.

1. Goodness, however did you survive gaming prior to 2005? Some of the games of all time are sub-HD.

2. God forbid you should have software or driver problems that render that game you just bought completely unplayable. At least I know my console game will always work.

3. You should look for a better job.

4. Shooters....lol

That has to be the dumbest list I've read today.

#30 Edited by lostrib (26167 posts) -

@Jankarcop said:

1. Goodness, however did you survive gaming prior to 2005? Some of the games of all time are sub-HD.

2. God forbid you should have software or driver problems that render that game you just bought completely unplayable. At least I know my console game will always work.

4. Shooters....lol

Did you read your own list?

#31 Edited by bforrester420 (683 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@bforrester420 said:

@Jankarcop said:

4. Shooters....lol

Are you unfamiliar with the concept of a "list"? I didn't make a "list".

#32 Edited by CrownKingArthur (1970 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@bforrester420 said:

@Jankarcop said:

4. Shooters....lol

indeed. i remember playing quake 3 back in 1999 with more pixels than 720p HD.

#33 Edited by lostrib (26167 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@bforrester420 said:

@Jankarcop said:

4. Shooters....lol

Sure looks like a list. I know you're old, perhaps you should see an optometrist

#34 Posted by enzyme36 (1357 posts) -

I thought the same way... then I built a PC with full intentions of being a couch PC warrior.

But as it turns out... I prefer the up-close and personal gaming at a desk. I found this out fairly quickly too.

#35 Edited by bforrester420 (683 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@bforrester420 said:

@lostrib said:

@bforrester420 said:

@Jankarcop said:

4. Shooters....lol

Sure looks like a list. I know you're old, perhaps you should see an optometrist

Countering the points in someone's list is not "making a list". Again, re-familiarize yourself with the concept.

I see you've managed to rack up another 300 posts since Friday afternoon. Congrats on your time management.

#36 Edited by lostrib (26167 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@bforrester420 said:

@lostrib said:

@bforrester420 said:

@Jankarcop said:

4. Shooters....lol

Countering the points in someone's list is not "making a list". Again, re-familiarize yourself with the concept.

You listed your points, and even numbered them. Definitely a list.

#37 Edited by bforrester420 (683 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@bforrester420 said:

@lostrib said:

@bforrester420 said:

@lostrib said:

@bforrester420 said:

@Jankarcop said:

4. Shooters....lol

I countered his list.

Wow, another 300 posts since Friday. Impressive time management skills

#38 Edited by lostrib (26167 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@bforrester420 said:

@lostrib said:

@bforrester420 said:

I'll save you the trouble:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/list?s=t

Are you just trying to prove that you made a list?

Honestly, you are one confusing individual

#39 Edited by CrownKingArthur (1970 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@bforrester420 said:

@lostrib said:

@bforrester420 said:

@lostrib said:

@bforrester420 said:

@Jankarcop said:

4. Shooters....lol

I'll save you the trouble:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/list?s=t

yeah you listed your responses in the format of a numbered list.

#40 Edited by lostrib (26167 posts) -

@bforrester420 said:

@lostrib said:

@bforrester420 said:

@lostrib said:

@bforrester420 said:

@lostrib said:

@bforrester420 said:

@Jankarcop said:

4. Shooters....lol

I countered his list.

...in the form of a list

Thanks, although it's a little creepy that you keep track of such a thing

#42 Posted by lostrib (26167 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@bforrester420 said:

@lostrib said:

I countered his list.

...in the form of a list

Thanks, although it's a little creepy that you keep track of such a thing

If I'm going to make fun of you for your lack of a social life and racking up tens of thousands of posts on a message board, I have to have the data to back it up. All I did was wrote down a number Friday when I was making fun of you and double-check it to today's total.

Again, congrats. Maybe log off and get some strange? I know that's tough for a nerdy, molecular biology grad student, but there's got to be an equally nerdy girl (or guy if that's your thing) in one of your classes?

Lol, I knew you would be good for a laugh or two. Thanks for that.

#43 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6038 posts) -

Well atleast TC listed it as a subjective view, in that sense there is Little to say about it. Personally I don't see it the same way, but atleast it is nice to list someone as a personal preference without trying the Whole objective angle.

#44 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (15944 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

Well good for you, but what was the point of making the thread? You left us with nothing to discuss.

#45 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (15944 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

You are starting to make it obvious you are trolling now. No longer interested in reading further through the thread now.

#46 Posted by BeardMaster (1438 posts) -

Frankly I just enjoy having every game optimized out of the box. If you maintain a beast rig and your optimization process includes just maxing every slider sure its not much of a hassle. But incredibly expensive to constantly maintain a rig capable of that throughout the gen.

Having to balance settings against framerate for every game is annoying, especially when you walk into a new more demanding area or a heavy action scene and the framerate tanks, meaning you gotta do it all over again. Plus I dont miss having to do periodic reboots because of memory leak or just random gremlins in the system slowing my performance.

I spent a boatload on my computer chair at home, so its like sitting on a cloud, and I dont mind that aspect. But console gaming is alot more hassle free in general and im lazy as hell after i get home from work.

If the hassles of PC gaming are worth it to you, more power too you. Personally, i just dont prioritize graphics as much as convenience as i get older.

#47 Edited by Jankarcop (7978 posts) -

@bforrester420 said:

@Jankarcop said:

4. Shooters....lol

1. This is 2014, not 2005. Oh and PC had above 30 fps in 2005.

2. 1 hour install times are ludicrous and worse than any PC issues I've had to face. Software/driver issues are rare these days, and if they DO happen its a few minute fix. Not 1/10th as bad.

3. I make more money than you. Paying for inferiority is stupid. What if I had to pay to make a civic start up when I could just have a Ferrari?

4. I don't get the point of that comment.

Overall you did not change my opinions or factually refute my statements, all you did was mis-lead.... and I still find PC gaming more relaxing.

#48 Edited by Jankarcop (7978 posts) -

@BeardMaster said:

Frankly I just enjoy having every game optimized out of the box. If you maintain a beast rig and your optimization process includes just maxing every slider sure its not much of a hassle. But incredibly expensive to constantly maintain a rig capable of that throughout the gen.

Having to balance settings against framerate for every game is annoying, especially when you walk into a new more demanding area or a heavy action scene and the framerate tanks, meaning you gotta do it all over again. Plus I dont miss having to do periodic reboots because of memory leak or just random gremlins in the system slowing my performance.

I spent a boatload on my computer chair at home, so its like sitting on a cloud, and I dont mind that aspect. But console gaming is alot more hassle free in general and im lazy as hell after i get home from work.

If the hassles of PC gaming are worth it to you, more power too you. Personally, i just dont prioritize graphics as much as convenience as i get older.

Depends on the person.

For example,

A: I have recently had none of the issues as you described on PC. Maybe twice a year max.

B: Meanwhile, I have more inconvenience on my Consoles. 30minute + install times on most xbox one games...which is a larger inconvenience than anything I've ever faced on PC. Most games stuck at 30 fps, if not lower. Long load times. At the mercy of devs if a game is messed up (Skyrim PS3) rather than finding my own fix. Unable to change FoV which is a major comfort factor.

#49 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

plus the PC has the added advantage of making on employable!

#50 Edited by Jankarcop (7978 posts) -

Almost forgot.

Another reason I find PC far more comfortable and relaxing is the ability to get ALL games online with a click of a button at ANY TIME and usually CHEAPER, rather than go out in this 0* ice blast thats hitting the east coast.