A Psygnosis Tribute made by Psygnosis in 1996

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

As you all probably know, a few months ago, Sony officially shut down Sony:Liverpool, previously known as Psygnosis

well, while youtubing for some of the studio's games I came across a pitch video created by Psygnosis to show the current Psygnosis heritage to various key people in Sony

enjoy

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

its a shame, they were honestly a huge force in the background of SCE.

When you read bout how much they influenced the PS1,2 and to a lesser extent the PS3, some of the of the success sony had can be attributed to them.

They pretty much designed the dev kit that was standard for PS1 developement which i'd say is a pretty big part of the PS1 and to an extent it sucess that it was built with chepa and comparable PC hardware with the PS1 in mind.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rilpas

When you read bout how much they influenced the PS1,2 and to a lesser extent the PS3, some of the of the success sony had can be attributed to them.

They pretty much designed the dev kit that was standard for PS1 developement which i'd say is a pretty big part of the PS1 and to an extent it sucess that it was built with chepa and comparable PC hardware with the PS1 in mind.

razgriz_101
yep, I wonder if they did something similar for the PS2 and PS3
Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

Their output was terrible, 2 games in 7 years.

They deserved to get shut down.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rilpas

Obviously_Right

One game per year actually

F1 2005

F1 2006

Wipeout Pure

Wipeout Pulse

Formula One Championship Edition

Wipeout HD

Wipeout 2048

Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Obviously_Right

[QUOTE="Obviously_Right"]

rilpas

F1 2005

F1 2006

Wipeout Pure

Wipeout Pulse

Wipeout HD

Wipeout 2048

Wow look at all those ports.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I remember Psygnosis mainly because of the games they developed for the Commodore Amiga. brings a tear to my eye. :cool:

I lost track of how many joysticks I broke playing Shadow of the Beast.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

Obviously_Right

F1 2005

F1 2006

Wipeout Pure

Wipeout Pulse

Wipeout HD

Wipeout 2048

Wow look at all those ports.

all of those were games they created

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 razgriz_101

Obviously_Right

Sony mismanaged them to death last gen and this gen and made them their equivelant to EA Tiburon for F1 games...and i'll never forgive them for that.

Colony wars,G-Police,Roll cage,Destruction Derby 1 and 2,Shadow of the beast,Overboard,Discworld,Kingsleys adventure and a ton more to boot were developed by these guys.

But nope sony done what MS done to rare and ripped the soul out, yet nobody seems to care bout Psygnosis unless your old enough to remember some of those games.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rilpas

I remember Psygnosis mainly because of the games they developed for the Commodore Amiga. brings a tear to my eye. :cool:

jun_aka_pekto
a shame that Sony fans of all people, choose to remember them as a "crap" Developer
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 razgriz_101

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

rilpas

a shame that Sony fans of all people, choose to remember them as a "crap" Developer[/QUOTE

cause tbh most cow's arent old enough to remember.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts
Ohhhh i remember Krazy Ivan back on the PSX.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#13 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41546 Posts
And with the fall of Sony Liverpool, the futuristic/sci-fi racer died. :(
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"][QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

razgriz_101

a shame that Sony fans of all people, choose to remember them as a "crap" Developer

cause tbh most cow's arent old enough to remember.

I guess they're too young for the PS1 days

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
Werent the guys that made G-police ? remember this back on Pc when i first played it i was amazed by its graphics ( i was using that to showcase my 3dfx voodoo ) . What a great game that was
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

razgriz_101

This. It's an even bigger shame when people b!tch so much about how MS ruined Rare but overlook how Sony neglected one of the most awesome dev collectives ever.People don't realize how important they were.

Wipeout, G-Police, Colony Wars, Destruction Derby Were the tip of the iceberg for them. The stuff they did on the Amiga like Shadow of the Beast, Menace and Awesome that were groundbreaking at the time. There would be no GTA without them.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 heretrix

And with the fall of Sony Liverpool, the futuristic/sci-fi racer died. :(nintendoboy16
It's a goddamn shame that as awesome as Wipeout was, it's all that they will mostly be remembered for.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]And with the fall of Sony Liverpool, the futuristic/sci-fi racer died. :(heretrix

It's a goddamn shame that as awesome as Wipeout was, it's all that they will mostly be remembered for.

I remember them for Krazy Ivan more so, I owned both games but had more fun with big ass robots<3
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 heretrix

Obviously_Right

As a design collective they have a better track record through the years, than Kojima.

Avatar image for carlisledavid79
carlisledavid79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 carlisledavid79
Member since 2006 • 10522 Posts

jun_aka_pekto
Was enough to make me drink TEN PINTS ;) :P
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 heretrix

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

carlisledavid79

That game was frikkin brutal. One of the hardest games I've ever played. I don't think I got past the 2nd level.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rilpas

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

heretrix

This. It's an even bigger shame when people b!tch so much about how MS ruined Rare but overlook how Sony neglected one of the most awesome dev collectives ever.People don't realize how important they were.

Wipeout, G-Police, Colony Wars, Destruction Derby Were the tip of the iceberg for them. The stuff they did on the Amiga like Shadow of the Beast, Menace and Awesome that were groundbreaking at the time. There would be no GTA without them.

I love Psygnosis, but how do you figure that?

Avatar image for carlisledavid79
carlisledavid79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 carlisledavid79
Member since 2006 • 10522 Posts

[QUOTE="carlisledavid79"][QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

heretrix

That game was frikkin brutal. One of the hardest games I've ever played. I don't think I got past the 2nd level.

It was crazily hard. Had no-chance of completeing it at my age back then. Good though and awesome music. Really really good game over music (which if I remember correctly was inspired by similar in miami vice)
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nintendoboy16

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]And with the fall of Sony Liverpool, the futuristic/sci-fi racer died. :(heretrix

From my understanding, Wipeout got more recognition than other futuristic/sci-fi racers, more so than Nintendo's F-Zero, Acclaim's Extreme G, and Lucasarts' Star Wars Pod Racing.
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 razgriz_101

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

rilpas

DMA designed and developed Lemmings (strangely another IP sony are sitting on), which made them mountains of cash and they were ambitious.Still a core element of Rockstar north to this day be ambitios as possible and it shows.

Psygnosis were immense and a powerhouse,then sony came at their peak and by 2000 they were the formula 1 team.....despite the rich history.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 heretrix

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

rilpas

DMA Design would eventually go on to become Rockstar North.And to show your what a huge impact that groups has had on the industry just look at how Rockstar turned out and the influence their games has had.

StarkJJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 StarkJJ
Member since 2004 • 534 Posts

No..no. Psygnosis will always be remembered for Shadow of the Beast! The good ol days of gaming...

percuvius2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 percuvius2
Member since 2004 • 1982 Posts

Psygnosis was only relevant on the Amiga

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 rilpas

percuvius2
G-police, colony wars, wipeout and Destruction Derby say hi
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Obviously_Right

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]And with the fall of Sony Liverpool, the futuristic/sci-fi racer died. :(nintendoboy16

From my understanding, Wipeout got more recognition than other futuristic/sci-fi racers, more so than Nintendo's F-Zero, Acclaim's Extreme G, and Lucasarts' Star Wars Pod Racing.

Yeah it did...because it was better than all of those.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nintendoboy16

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"][QUOTE="heretrix"]It's a goddamn shame that as awesome as Wipeout was, it's all that they will mostly be remembered for.

Obviously_Right

That's subjective. Personally, I like F-Zero more than Wipeout and Star Wars Pod Racing (never played Extreme-G though).
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rilpas

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"] From my understanding, Wipeout got more recognition than other futuristic/sci-fi racers, more so than Nintendo's F-Zero, Acclaim's Extreme G, and Lucasarts' Star Wars Pod Racing.nintendoboy16

That's subjective. Personally, I like F-Zero more than Wipeout and Star Wars Pod Racing (never played Extreme-G though).

you have to understand, he's a sony fanboy, so obviously he has to say wipeout is better then the competition, but he also has to say that the studio sucks because Sony closed it down :P

Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Obviously_Right

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"] From my understanding, Wipeout got more recognition than other futuristic/sci-fi racers, more so than Nintendo's F-Zero, Acclaim's Extreme G, and Lucasarts' Star Wars Pod Racing.nintendoboy16

Why do you prefer F-Zero?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nintendoboy16

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"][QUOTE="Obviously_Right"]

Obviously_Right

It felt a lot more faster and was quite a challenge.
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

it is a shame such a talented studio was shut down.. am sure Sony should have kept such studio and invest in their creativity in creating new IPs

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 razgriz_101

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"] That's subjective. Personally, I like F-Zero more than Wipeout and Star Wars Pod Racing (never played Extreme-G though).nintendoboy16

It felt a lot more faster and was quite a challenge.

Wipeout 2097 rapier class.....now you cant say that was never ballbustingly hard.

oh or phantom class.

percuvius2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 percuvius2
Member since 2004 • 1982 Posts

[QUOTE="percuvius2"]

rilpas

YAWN. I'd moved onto way more powerful PC games by then.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
Another studio killed by Sony :(
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"][QUOTE="percuvius2"]

percuvius2

wipeout was the best futuristic racer on PC for quite a while

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 razgriz_101

[QUOTE="rilpas"][QUOTE="percuvius2"]

percuvius2

for their era those games were top quality games......and strangely wipeout/2097 were on PC.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44583 Posts
funny they finished off that video with Formula 1, that's the series they spent way too much time working on in later years, at the expense of their other classic games they never got to make follow ups to
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 razgriz_101

funny they finished off that video with Formula 1, that's the series they spent way too much time working on in later years, at the expense of their other classic games they never got to make follow ups tolamprey263

blameth the sony for such hijinks.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Wipeout XL. That was it. I had Wipeout XL for the PSX in late 1996. I remembered racing games being my favorite on consoles at the time. Wave Race 64 on the N64 and Wipeout XL on the PSX. I recall liking the soundtrack for Wipeout XL although I can't remember any of it now.

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
And they released Wipeout 2048 for the Vita, arguably the best racing experience on handhelds... I guess we won't be getting any more games like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-BEJ4ivdX8&hd=1&t=25s. At least they're not being turned into the next Rare.