A Nintendo Made Pokemon MMORPG?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TailBlood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TailBlood
Member since 2011 • 944 Posts

I just don't understand why Nintendo hasn't done this yet. This could be their biggest money tank, and the death of WOW. Who doesn't want to go online and travel a pokemon world, catching pokemons and socializing. As nerdish as it sounds.... it's brilliant. Again NINTENDO made mmorpg.

peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 peterw007
Member since 2005 • 3653 Posts

Simple: WAY too much time and effort.

Game Freak (aka the people who make Pokemon) is a relatively small development team with only about 66 people.

They already make such MASSIVE profits with Pokemon, why bother investing so much capital in something that isn't guaranteed to be a success?

Case in point: Final Fantasy XIV and Square Enix. Just because it has a big name on the title doesn't mean it will be popular or successful.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Simple: WAY too much time and effort.

Game Freak (aka the people who make Pokemon) is a relatively small development team with only about 66 people.

They already make such MASSIVE profits with Pokemon, why bother investing so much capital in something that isn't guaranteed to be a success?

Case in point: Final Fantasy XIV and Square Enix. Just because it has a big name on the title doesn't mean it will be popular or successful.

peterw007

To be fair, GameFreak would have to try to make a Pokemon MMO as bad as FFXIV is.

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts

Every person i know who is a gamer has told me if Nintendo made a pokemon MMO they would play it.

I want one so bad and i would probably never play any other games lol

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Yeah, a lot of people I know would be really keen on playing a Pokemon MMORPG - and they themselves don't really game that much, so that's saying quite a lot.

But as is, Pokemon make a lot of money as is. So I can kinda understand why they haven't done it yet.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

Because Nintendo doesn't invest heavily on Online stuff. This MMORPG would need a strong network infrastructure to hold it. That is something Nintendo doesn't have on either its handheld consoles or home-based consoles.

Maybe Cafe will aid it? Hope so. Other then that, it would be PC, which I don't see Nintendo ever doing.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15594 Posts

I just don't understand why Nintendo hasn't done this yet. This could be their biggest money tank, and the death of WOW. Who doesn't want to go online and travel a pokemon world, catching pokemons and socializing. As nerdish as it sounds.... it's brilliant. Again NINTENDO made mmorpg.

TailBlood

Yea but that would require they actually challenge themselves and take risks with a pokemon game, instead of just making to same game with extra features again and again.

peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 peterw007
Member since 2005 • 3653 Posts

[QUOTE="TailBlood"]

Vaasman

Yea but that would require they actually challenge themselves and take risks with a pokemon game, instead of just making to same game with extra features again and again.

It would also require network engineers, community managers, a 5+ year development schedule to execute correctly, and a dedicated team for the game.

Nintendo would have to hire literally hundreds of artists, programmers, and game designers and just to make everything work correctly.

Not to mention it would cost a fortune. Nintendo has never made an MMORPG before and has to design everything from the ground up.

...The core executives at Nintendo (especially Miyamoto) hold all of Nintendo's flagship games to obnoxiously high quality standards.

If the team doesn't absolutely nail the MMORPG, they execs would probably go:

"You guys suck. We have too much honor to release a game as bad as Final Fantasy 14. Scrap the project!"

...and Nintendo would lose millions. See why Nintendo would rather play it safe with what works?

theSteeeeels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 theSteeeeels
Member since 2011 • 520 Posts

id rather a pokemon rpg travelling the land going to veridian city hell yeah or even a dbz rpg where you are goku and rank up from kid to super sayian. so sick but i dont know how they would handle combat in either game. dbz fighting games suck and i wouldnt want to go back to turn based fights like on the gameboy pokemon

felipebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 felipebo
Member since 2009 • 4170 Posts

It's too big a risk.

SilverChimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 SilverChimera
Member since 2009 • 9256 Posts
I'd rather they do a console rpg with good online components than an MMO
metal_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 metal_zombie
Member since 2004 • 2288 Posts
I would buy it but only if it's for the wii 2 I'm done playing the wii (aka gamecube)
bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts
A Nintendo MMO is just a recipe for disaster
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

Every person i know who is a gamer has told me if Nintendo made a pokemon MMO they would play it.

I want one so bad and i would probably never play any other games lol

RyanShazam
I've seen and heard hundreds of people talking about how great a Pokemon MMO would be, it would probably the most popular game in video game history.
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

A F2P Pokemon MMO could really be hugely successful.

Especially if they pull it off like a Facebook game.

The main reason I believe they have not done this is Nintendo's unease about online gaming

Knightzeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Knightzeo
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I can see why people can be skeptical about it but in the long run the reward exceeds the risk, creating a pokemon mmo would probably the most difficult thing they have done but it would be the most rewarding.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Zelda MMO imo (and no, you wouldn't play as Link).

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

heh, with the japanese devs track record on mmos you may be better off without it.

MonsterMMORPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MonsterMMORPG
Member since 2011 • 210 Posts

they don't make mmo because that would decrease their revenue

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Necro!!!!

And from a Gamerep no less. :P

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#22 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
For every WoW case you bring up, I can bring at least two more that failed (Empires, Fallout MMO). MMO is far from a sure thing, and considering the fundamental core mechanics of Pokemon, I don't think it lends itself to being tied to a home console or the mercy of a internet connection.
Farsendor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Farsendor1
Member since 2012 • 462 Posts

hate most of nintendo games and i mean hate,i don't play them i don't have anything to do with them. mario kart is about the only nintendo game i have played in the last 10 years but i wouldn't mind owning a wiiu for pokemon mmorpg.Â