A great victory for AMD! Intel forced to pay for bribing.

#51 Posted by kitty (115049 posts) -

@kraken2109 said:

ITT: People haven't worked out that this is the reason AMD CPUs are not competing well

I wouldn't even bother telling people this. You'll get the same reply every time. "Call me when AMD can make something that can compete"
People think things can just happen instantly. Otherwise that type of comment isn't needed. A better one would be something along the lines of
"I hope AMD can make something that can compete" or something similar.

#52 Edited by lostrib (44043 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@lostrib said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Xtasy26 said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

i'm an intel supporter (not an amd detractor mind you, i use an amd GPU)

and i have to say ... i'm shocked. i had no idea intel were so dirty, i mean, their fabrication facilities are so clean!

if justice has been served, that's great.

Oh yeah. Intel is the dirtiest company in the PC industry. I can't believe they paid out hundreds of millions of dollars in bribes and threats to PC makers along the lines you better use intel processors "or else". They even bribed a German retailer to only sell intel CPU's. Link here. If you don't know Germany is the biggest PC gaming market in Europe so AMD likely lost tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars in Gaming CPU sales. What a despicable company. I will never buy an intel processors and my next Gaming rig will definitely be a next gen AMD gaming CPU.

Lol. AMD, what they originally were, are gone. Intel fuck them sideways for CPU's and have done since 06. Get over it. Also, Nvidia GeForce> AMD Radeon. Have I made my self clear?

No actually. When you say "fuck them sideways for CPU's," do you mean they paid for CPUs with sex or that they were paid for sex in CPUs?

Oh Lostrib. You always know what not to say, so you swing it in some irrelevant cul-de-sac. You know what Lostrib? I really don't care what I meant about 'fuck me sideways', and you know what else? I bet you already had a good idea what I meant. You need a nice long break from these forums it seems. Get some sunshine fella. It'l do ya the world a good.

Well you asked the question

Actually I bike to work every morning. However it's going to be like 100 degrees this weekend, so I will be staying inside for most of it

Also, cul-de-sacs are very nice, low traffic, quiet.

#54 Posted by osirisx3 (2039 posts) -

stop wasting money on intel cpus 99% of games run great on the 8350fx

#55 Posted by j2zon2591 (2385 posts) -

So AMD doesn't get most of the money correct?

#56 Edited by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

There is nothing wrong with AMD CPUs, they might be using an inferior process to Intel but they still compete in the price/performance area.

Oh and Intel are completely fucked in the APU market, as well as the mobile market. AMD are seriously looking good with their new line of tablet and laptop range of SoC. If they made a desktop/mini desktop PC out of their 2-15watt SoC I would buy one tomorrow to make a Linux server out of it. They have my attention in a lot of areas I was looking at ARM for.

Intel are fucked in that area.

#57 Posted by intotheminx (1038 posts) -

I have two AMD builds and I have no regrets. Everything seems perfectly fine and I haven't noticed any performance dip. The last Intel/Nvidia build I had was a 9500/q8200 combo. The whole Intel fanboy thing is absurd.

#58 Edited by Gaming-Planet (14680 posts) -

I really hope AMD gives us the monster cpu we've all waited for in 2016.

AMD has the multi core performance of most of the haswell cpus, but the single core performance is half of what those cpus are. The cpu is pretty dated now but it still holds a market for budget pcs.

It's not a bad cpu, just not as good as intel.

#60 Posted by HaloinventedFPS (4736 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

Hopefully this (assuming it's final) + the recent success of their R9 GPU series + the money they'll get from the consoles over the course of the gen will be able to make AMD a real competitor in the CPU department (again) and expand even further their quality on the GPU market.

AMD GPU's are good, no argument there, the 7000 series was top tier, it's just their CPU's suck, they bet everything on multi-core & nearly all software is optimized for 1-2 cores

#61 Posted by Oemenia (10258 posts) -

A drop in the ocean of how much Intel truly screwed over AMD.

#62 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (17834 posts) -

@Gaming-Planet said:

I really hope AMD gives us the monster cpu we've all waited for in 2016.

AMD has the multi core performance of most of the haswell cpus, but the single core performance is half of what those cpus are. The cpu is pretty dated now but it still holds a market for budget pcs.

It's not a bad cpu, just not as good as intel.

You got some benchmarks to show this?

#63 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

Business is business and sometimes shady or shitty stuff happens.

Bottom line is for me as a consumer, Intel make better CPUs for my needs and that doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon. If AMD do come out with something better then I will look in their direction

#64 Posted by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Bottom line is for me as a consumer, Intel make better CPUs for my needs and that doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon

So bribing people to not use or stock your competitors products is fine by you then? Bit like when Microsoft patches their operating system to gimp competitors programs to force people to use their stuff and only stopped when they got taken to court.

Just business, fuck the consumer. I would never by anything off either of those two companies because they are a bunch of cunts.

#65 Posted by speedfog (3462 posts) -

A message to the TC, imo:

Intel > AMD

NVIDIA > AMD

Anyway, that's unfair to AMD. But they can't complain since they will receive that money.

#66 Edited by Xtasy26 (4428 posts) -

@HaloinventedFPS said:

AMD CPU's have sucked for a while, Intel are doing nothing wrong

AMD need to step up their game & make a CPU to compete with Intel again, but it's easier to play the victim & demand payouts isn't it?

Cough..nothing wrong? You do realize "bribing" PC makers and retailers not to put AMD Gaming CPU's on the shelf is a corrupt practice and is against European law. Not only that they caused AMD to lose hundreds of millions of dollars in lost revenue. As for their CPU's being competitive, depends on what we are talking about. In multi-threaded apps they do pretty well.

Hell even in 1080P+ and beyond in gaming AMD is matching intel or even beating it in certain cases. LOL. In demanding games like Metro 2033, FX 8350 is actually beating i7 4770K. LOL

Link.

@b4x Really? Explain the Gaming benchmarks where AMD is beating intel? Their AMD GPU's are even nVidia depending on the price segment we are talking about.

@scottpsfan14 Lol AMD GPU's depending on the price range are actually competitve with nVidia or beating nVidia. As for CPU I agree..they did get screwed..the got screwed by intel bribing PC makers and retailers. If they weren't doing that over all those years maybe AMD would have more resources to put into CPU development. Even then AMD is competitve with intel at least gaming at 1080P and beyond and the benchmarks prove it.

#67 Posted by lostrib (44043 posts) -
@Xtasy26 said:

@HaloinventedFPS said:

AMD CPU's have sucked for a while, Intel are doing nothing wrong

AMD need to step up their game & make a CPU to compete with Intel again, but it's easier to play the victim & demand payouts isn't it?

Cough..nothing wrong? You do realize "bribing" PC makers and retailers not to put AMD Gaming CPU's on the shelf is a corrupt practice and is against European law. Not only that they caused AMD to lose hundreds of millions of dollars in lost revenue. As for their CPU's being competitive, depends on what we are talking about. In multi-threaded apps they do pretty well.

Hell even in 1080P+ and beyond in gaming AMD is matching intel or even beating it in certain cases. LOL. In demanding games like Metro 2033, FX 8350 is actually beating i7 4770K. LOL

Link.

"In Black Ops 2 AMD goes toe to toe with Core i7 3770K losing only by two frames despite being over $120 cheaper."

"This is the same story when it comes to Battlefield 3. AMD's FX 8350 easily beat's [by .2 fps] intel's more expensive Core i7 3770K"

what a terribly written site

#68 Posted by superbuuman (3384 posts) -

@kitty said:

@kraken2109 said:

ITT: People haven't worked out that this is the reason AMD CPUs are not competing well

I wouldn't even bother telling people this. You'll get the same reply every time. "Call me when AMD can make something that can compete"

People think things can just happen instantly. Otherwise that type of comment isn't needed. A better one would be something along the lines of

"I hope AMD can make something that can compete" or something similar.

Eh even when AMD was better A64 - less heat, better performance...people's mindset were still Intel is better p4 - hotter, less performance. Right now its even harder to convince people to buy AMD since their highend cpu - hotter, 8 core & is just competing..with i7 - 4 core. Even though majority of people are just buying low end i3 to mid i5 ..they are still convince Intel is better..even AMD is competing in the midrange to low end cpu range. Don't see it changing anytime soon. :P

#69 Edited by SambaLele (5543 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

Bottom line is for me as a consumer, Intel make better CPUs for my needs and that doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon. If AMD do come out with something better then I will look in their direction

Wow, can't believe the cynicism in this and many other posts. It's almost like this kind of thing is not an issue at all.

People really have to be narrow minded to relativize a conduct that was not only proved, but proved to be grave enough to warrant a 1.4 bi. fine. Some said that the fine is excessive... how can anyone know that, if they don't have access to all the info on the case? How much they earned with that? What's the extent of the damage done to the competitor? Does anyone know how much of that fine actually manages to be punitive?

A company doing anti-market practices is also committing an anti-consumer practice... what they want now is to eliminate the competition, at whatever costs... would anyone think that the purpose of that is to, after eliminating the competitor, continue spending as much as they are in R&D, quality control and other things, and maintain the current profit margin?

#70 Posted by 22Toothpicks (11404 posts) -

lol at citing "moral reasons" for choosing one company over another.

#71 Posted by Xtasy26 (4428 posts) -

@b4x: AMD APU's trash intel's especially when it comes to gaming because the intel graphics are a JOKE. If you want to talk about driver's intel graphics driver's are a LAUGHING STOCK.

Their GPU's are competitive with nvidia that's a fact. Your fanboyism is showing through.

AMD's driver suck? What is the late 90's/early 2000's?

That doesn't change the fact that intel is a dirty, cheating company that cheats to win. That is a FACT.

#72 Edited by Mystery_Writer (8178 posts) -

Even though I currently have i7 4970, but I'm really glad that hopefully justice is served.

I wish AMD do a better job naming their CPU lineup properly so people could make sense out of their confusing CPU products.

I mean, they have A and E series, FX, Phenom, Athlon, Sempron, Opteron, and perhaps I missed some. Which one is more powerful for gaming? Good luck finding that out if you're a casual switching from Intel to AMD.

They'll confuse you by listing their 4 years old Phenom II X6 T1100 as high end. How on earth do they expect to compete with Intel with this confusing marketing mess?

#73 Posted by scatteh316 (5029 posts) -

If anything the fine should be a lot higher, there's no accounting for the real world damage this has done to AMD over the years and they could of been in a much much better place in the industry if Intel hadn't of pulled this trick.

#74 Edited by scatteh316 (5029 posts) -

@b4x said:

AMD can Jaguar their ass down the road.

Weak ass company has always been weak.

They can't touch NVidia or Intel. Fact.

They write drivers like Sony writes PS software.

1. Jaguar maybe slow but it's one of the best low power parts around

2. They've not always been weak

3. They can touch Intel and Nvidia, Intel and Nvidia can't compete at all with AMD APU's and AMD desktop graphics cards are neck and neck with Nvidia cards.

4. Drivers have always been fine for me.

#75 Edited by 04dcarraher (20722 posts) -

Back in 2009 over in Europe and Japan Intel was fined for trying to create a monopoly bribing and other schemes. The EU fined Intel 1.45 billion(finally),Korea fined Intel for 25 million, and Japan did the same, ordered Intel to stop certain sales practices. then later in 2009 Intel had to pay AMD 1.25 billion for a anti trust case from back in 2005 about cross -licensing patents . I remember a story in Germany a town beside one of AMD's plants, didnt have a single AMD based computer even though AMD had a plant near by because of what intel did with bribing.

Most of the shady intel schemes started in 2004-2006, when intel was losing to AMD's Athlon 64 and X2 cpu's performance and AMD was gaining some good ground for business. So intel started bribing big computer companies like Dell HP etc if you buy from us you will get a major discounts. Since all intel had was the Pentium 4's and D's.

And since intel had the majority of the market and the resources AMD couldnt out bid in getting those companies orders. Now starting in 2005 ish intel starting owning all patents relating to cpu tech which caused AMD to be stuck with current tech and or things they created from scratch. Because of this and intel's massive wallet were able to dump bucket loads of money into research to get back into the lead while causing AMD to trickle away. AMD's FX series was AMD's first fresh cpu architecture that was not related to their Athlon 64's aka "K8" since the patents were up.... their Phenom lines was a continuation of the old Athlon 64's.

While these fines show intel's "evil side" the problem is that AMD wont get this money from this fine. And intel's profits from this year's quarter can pay for it multiple times over its a drop in a bucket for them.

#76 Edited by inb4uall (6549 posts) -

@b4x said:

Sources to back up these wild claims?

#77 Edited by kipsta77 (1119 posts) -

Face it, AMD are the pits.

Green pasture FTW.

#78 Posted by SamiRDuran (2733 posts) -

Intel rules along with nvidia they are the faces of pc gaming master race. Amd is for cheapskates that would be better off with a console. AMD spends more time talking and crying about competitor's products than their own.

#79 Posted by parkurtommo (28076 posts) -

I'm so glad the company that makes cpus that I'll never use won a lawsuit!

#80 Posted by edwardecl (2239 posts) -
@parkurtommo said:

So you will never buy a new console then?

#81 Posted by parkurtommo (28076 posts) -

@edwardecl said:
@parkurtommo said:

So you will never buy a new console then?

Probably not.

#82 Edited by osirisx3 (2039 posts) -

@parkurtommo said:

How can you just shrug off what intel did? They hurt you as a consumer! If AMD had a fair shot then they would be making better cpus today.

#83 Edited by parkurtommo (28076 posts) -

@osirisx3 said:

@parkurtommo said:

How can you just shrug off what intel did? They hurt you as a consumer! If AMD had a fair shot then they would be making better cpus today.

Well no, it doesn't affect me because I'm still buying a good product. The fact that Intel uses unfair practices doesn't mean that I get worse CPUs from them.

Obviously, if there were equal competition, both companies would have to start innovating more and producing extremely powerful cpus in the hopes of making their competition irrelevant. That would be good for the evolution of PC gaming in general.

But still. as long as cpus can keep up with Nvidia's GPUs, we don't need that much evolution in CPUs.

#84 Edited by LustForSoul (5912 posts) -

This doesn't take away intel has been a bigger brand in terms of popularity for 5 years. Most people won't know about this and will just buy another intel, cause it's what they're used to.

#85 Posted by osirisx3 (2039 posts) -

@parkurtommo said:

@osirisx3 said:

@parkurtommo said:

Well no, it doesn't affect me because I'm still buying a good product. The fact that Intel uses unfair practices doesn't mean that I get worse CPUs from them.

Obviously, if there were equal competition, both companies would have to start innovating more and producing extremely powerful cpus in the hopes of making their competition irrelevant. That would be good for the evolution of PC gaming in general.

But still. as long as cpus can keep up with Nvidia's GPUs, we don't need that much evolution in CPUs.

amds 8350 can already hold up fine with like 99% of games out there. Why spend more on intel then? IF AMD did have a fairshot you would have a cheaper pc and more powerful pc you should be upset with intel for making you spend more for less.

#86 Posted by parkurtommo (28076 posts) -

@osirisx3 said:

@parkurtommo said:

@osirisx3 said:

@parkurtommo said:

amds 8350 can already hold up fine with like 99% of games out there. Why spend more on intel then? IF AMD did have a fairshot you would have a cheaper pc and more powerful pc you should be upset with intel for making you spend more for less.

You might be right there. But Nvidia also overcharges and I still prefer them over AMD. It's just the fact that AMD isn't as high quality. Quality is more important than price, unless I'm really desperate for a part and low on budget.

#87 Posted by B4X (5660 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

@b4x said:

Reality.

#88 Posted by topgunmv (10407 posts) -

I'm assuming when people say "keep up with nvidia gpus" they're referring to the $3,000 monstrosities that nobody actually buys.

#90 Posted by B4X (5660 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@b4x said:

@inb4uall said:

@b4x said:

Reality.

It's funny because Sony currently have the most efficient drivers and API on PS4 right now lol. XB1 are trying to counteract it with DX12. Will they?

http://wccftech.com/ps4-api-graphics-programmers-love-specific-gpu-optimizations-improve-performance/

GamingBolt did an interview with Confetti FX’s founder Wolfgang Engel, who is well-known for his work at Rockstar’s core technology group as the lead graphics programmer, and asked him about how Sony’s custom PS4 API will hold up against the upcoming DirectX 12 for the Xbox One.

“Sony’s own custom API is more low-level and definitely something that graphics programmers love. It gives you a lot of control. DirectX 12 will be a bit more abstract because it has to work with many different GPUs, while the PS4 API can go down to the metal,” he said. It is important to clarify and note here that Wolfgang’s this statement does not mean that Microsoft’s DirectX 12 is of no good. In fact he believes thatthe upcoming API will surely turn out to be great for the Xbox One console.

So your claims of Sony having bad software isn't entirely correct. In fact, quite the oppisite. It's perfect for Devs. Even DX12 won't counteract it.

Gotdamn fanboy..No one dogged your Sony. You can relax.

Intel> ATI

NVidia> ATI

Those are facts. I don't care how fast your card is. If it's not stable in the PC market. You lose.

#91 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17575 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur said:

and i have to say ... i'm shocked. i had no idea intel were so dirty, i mean, their fabrication facilities are so clean!

That's because they never showed you a tour of their offices

That's where all the dirty schemes are made.

#92 Posted by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -
@R4gn4r0k said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

That's because they never showed you a tour of their offices

That's where all the dirty schemes are made.

i heard that at intel, no one has an office. everyone works from cubicles, even the CEO. (except in acquired firms, slide 5)

egalitarianism.

but yes, i suspect that their offices will be dirtier than the fabrication facility.

#94 Edited by PapaTrop (1710 posts) -

I do love my AMD processor.

#95 Posted by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

I have never touched an Intel product since the Pentium 233Mhz, been exclusively AMD CPU and ATi/AMD GPU because its cheaper and works just as good considering the price. Sure it wont be the best thing you can buy, but most of the time it's the best thing you can buy for the money. I go down the route of buying middle of the road stuff and upgrading more often.

#96 Posted by B4X (5660 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@b4x said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@b4x said:

@inb4uall said:

@b4x said:

Reality.

It's funny because Sony currently have the most efficient drivers and API on PS4 right now lol. XB1 are trying to counteract it with DX12. Will they?

http://wccftech.com/ps4-api-graphics-programmers-love-specific-gpu-optimizations-improve-performance/

GamingBolt did an interview with Confetti FX’s founder Wolfgang Engel, who is well-known for his work at Rockstar’s core technology group as the lead graphics programmer, and asked him about how Sony’s custom PS4 API will hold up against the upcoming DirectX 12 for the Xbox One.

“Sony’s own custom API is more low-level and definitely something that graphics programmers love. It gives you a lot of control. DirectX 12 will be a bit more abstract because it has to work with many different GPUs, while the PS4 API can go down to the metal,” he said. It is important to clarify and note here that Wolfgang’s this statement does not mean that Microsoft’s DirectX 12 is of no good. In fact he believes thatthe upcoming API will surely turn out to be great for the Xbox One console.

So your claims of Sony having bad software isn't entirely correct. In fact, quite the oppisite. It's perfect for Devs. Even DX12 won't counteract it.

Gotdamn fanboy..No one dogged your Sony. You can relax.

Intel> ATI

NVidia> ATI

Those are facts. I don't care how fast your card is. If it's not stable in the PC market. You lose.

That is correct if I'm honest. Intel does > AMD. And Nvidia does seem to > AMD atm. They battle each other for top spot, but Nvidia nearly always turns out on top.

But PS4 software > XB1 lol. Just what developers are saying thats all.

So Sony developers or unnamed sources?

Seems legit. Please stop for the love of god....

#97 Edited by R4gn4r0k (17575 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur said:

i heard that at intel, no one has an office. everyone works from cubicles, even the CEO. (except in acquired firms, slide 5)

egalitarianism.

but yes, i suspect that their offices will be dirtier than the fabrication facility.

No wonder they come up with such diabolical schemes :O

Lol, imagine working in a cubicle with the CEO working right besides you XD

#99 Posted by g0ddyX (3914 posts) -

I hope both AMD and Intel better themselves after this.

#100 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (16688 posts) -

What's this going to do to intel cpu prices?

Kind of sucks if they rise because of this, because those are the best.