A concession from a PC Gamer

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

I'm a huge Forza fan. Been playing since the first one came out, and I've bought several Microsoft consoles just for my racing fix through the years.

Anyways...I've been SO excited for the new Horizon 3 release on PC. And, when it works (buggy mess on some fronts so far) it's stunning in 4k @ 60hz. Free multiplayer is great too (I never got live just for racing online, so my experiences have mostly been single player in Forza).

However...I have to give credit where credit is due...HDR is AMAZING. If you haven't demoed it yet...you have something to look forward to. The colors and overall pallette playing the game on it's inferior 1080/30fps is so dramatic that I honestly can't make up my mind between which version looks better. There's no doubt pc (on a proper rig) is MUCH sharper, smoother, and responsive. Just like pc always is.

However, HDR adds such an absurd boost to the overall image of the game...I may keep switching between the two for a long time.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

That's not a concession

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17425 Posts

F

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@demi0227_basic: If it was only the HDR as you saying . Frames , resolution , overall graphical details .. IF you add everything along with HDR ... the choice is easy.

But lets be honest , majority of gamers around the world are still gaming on 1080p.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#5 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

HDR is nice, but it can not overcome the negative of 30fps. I will choose the higher frame rate of the PC version every time.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

@thehig1 said:

That's not a concession

This ^

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

PC can do HDR too, provided you have a HDR capable monitor and a game that supports it.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Where's the confession?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@PernicioEnigma said:

PC can do HDR too, provided you have a HDR capable monitor and a game that supports it.

Some monitor states, it supports 10 bit color depth but only has 8 bit real + 2 bit dithering to fake the extra color shades.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

@PernicioEnigma said:

So, no games basically, and no monitors...

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts
@MonsieurX said:

Where's the confession?

This thread is a lie and does not deliver what was promised.

Concession not confession but I'll give you both.

A true concession/confession from a PC gamer: I really don't care about games, I just like to get on the internet and talk PC master race nonsense so I can attempt to build up my very low self esteem since my life is sad and people don't like me. I concede that console gamers probably are much happier people by and large and feel more fulfilled in their lives. I only flaunt the PC's superior qualities to balance out my own inadequacies and give my life some kind of meaning.

...I hope I have righted a wrong here.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17425 Posts

@dynamitecop said:
@PernicioEnigma said:

There are a few PC monitors with HDR, but i dont think there are any games yet.

Im sure some will get HDR patches soon.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dynamitecop

@navyguy21 said:
@dynamitecop said:
@PernicioEnigma said:

There are a few PC monitors with HDR, but i dont think there are any games yet.

Im sure some will get HDR patches soon.

Are you sure about that, because I'm fairly certain there are none, at least none out of the scope of professional grade equipment for artists, photo editors etc.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@dynamitecop said:
@PernicioEnigma said:

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dynamitecop
@ronvalencia said:
@dynamitecop said:
@PernicioEnigma said:

What PC gamer would actually want that piece of shit though? It's got an 8ms response time coupled with a shallow 800:1 contrast ratio...

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

just go into any best buy and look at an oled hdr tv. its insane how good it looks. pc gaming left behind yet again. and the only hdr content available on pc is a demo in the nvidia sdk. no games support it.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

I have a concession too:

I just farted

Jereb31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jereb31
Member since 2015 • 2025 Posts

@m3dude1 said:

just go into any best buy and look at an oled hdr tv. its insane how good it looks. pc gaming left behind yet again. and the only hdr content available on pc is a demo in the nvidia sdk. no games support it.

Cause a PC can't use this TV or something???

For that matter what console can do anything HDR right now???

Edit: Looks like none, http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/09/ps4-hdr-no-games-media-useless/

Haha you go consoles :D

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 m3dude1

@jereb31: forza horizon 3 and nba 2k17 both support hdr on consoles with a ton of games coming this fall. Firmware update for og ps4 adding hdr support too. Ok you hooked up your pc to an hdr tv now what? You gonna have fun in that nvidia sdk bro?

Jereb31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jereb31

@m3dude1 said:

@jereb31: forza horizon 3 and nba 2k17 both support hdr on consoles with a ton of games coming this fall. Firmware update for og ps4 adding hdr support too. Ok you hooked up your pc to an hdr tv now what? You gonna have fun in that nvidia sdk bro?

And I believe as ron pointed out PC already has HDR with compatible gpu's.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-freesync-over-hdmi-hdr,30711.html

AMD has had HDR capability since the 300 series, consoles only just recieved it. Wow, late to the party much.

Isn't BF1 HDR capable?? I'm sure we did some digging you would probably find PC games out with HDR.

Isn't Forza 3 on PC also???

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/forza-horizon-3-xbox-onepc-versions-compared-in-ne/1100-6443974/

Isn't NBA 2k17 also on PC???

http://store.steampowered.com/app/385760/

Well done consoles *slow clap* well done.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By m3dude1

@jereb31: congrats, you win the dunce cap award. None of those games support hdr on pc, only consoles. Keep up that low iq bro!

Jereb31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jereb31

@m3dude1 said:

@jereb31: congrats, you win the dunce cap award. None of those games support hdr on pc, only consoles. Keep up that low iq bro!

I fail to see any reference showing that the game which is HDR capable on console, is not HDR capable on an also HDR PC.

You go girl.

Edit: Yep, seems Forza isn't HDR on PC's. Oh well, guess will have to enjoy other titles.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By m3dude1

@jereb31: the only thing youll be enjoying is that nvidia sdk

Oh, and all of the recent big cross platform games that havebeen showcased in hdr on ps4pro are not launching with hdr support on pc. Better luck next year maybe.

Jereb31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jereb31

@m3dude1 said:

Oh, and all of the recent big cross platform games that havebeen showcased in hdr on ps4pro are not launching with hdr support on pc. Better luck next year maybe.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/52648/obduction-support-nvidias-ansel-hdr-smp-more/index.html

Oh hey look at that, a PC game with HDR prior to consoles. Who would have thought, hurr durr.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By m3dude1

@jereb31: the daftness continues. Go and try to get hdr working in obduction and get back to me. Its just comical how clueless and ignorant hermits are lmao. To save you some time, there is no hdr in obduction. Keep waiting for that patch, thats what hermits spend 99% of their gaming time doing anyway

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@m3dude1 said:

Silver linings I guess. It's good to be optimistic. I'd be too if my platform of choice only produced 3 good exclusives in the last 3 years.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#27  Edited By deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

@mark1974 said:
@MonsieurX said:

Where's the confession?

This thread is a lie and does not deliver what was promised.

Concession not confession but I'll give you both.

A true concession/confession from a PC gamer: I really don't care about games, I just like to get on the internet and talk PC master race nonsense so I can attempt to build up my very low self esteem since my life is sad and people don't like me. I concede that console gamers probably are much happier people by and large and feel more fulfilled in their lives. I only flaunt the PC's superior qualities to balance out my own inadequacies and give my life some kind of meaning.

...I hope I have righted a wrong here.

I'm a pc gamer exclusively now, despite being a console only guy from the early 90s to 2013. I dont really give a shit to let everyone know how awesome my purchase was. It seems like if I talked about how awesome and superior the pc was all the time, it would betray the fact that I might not be too confident in my purchase. I think pc is way better.....for me. No need to look back at the 30fps days like Auschwitz.

Here is a real concession: I'm super envious that consoles get their games specifically optimized for their system most of the time. I think it sucks that pc games dont get the same treatment a lot of the time.

Jereb31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jereb31

@m3dude1 said:

@jereb31: the daftness continues. Go and try to get hdr working in obduction and get back to me. Its just comical how clueless and ignorant hermits are lmao. To save you some time, there is no hdr in obduction. Keep waiting for that patch, thats what hermits spend 99% of their gaming time doing anyway

Ahh, oh well. Guess I'll have to wait then.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Juub1990

@hillelslovak said:

I'm a pc gamer exclusively now, despite being a console only guy from the early 90s to 2013. I dont really give a shit to let everyone know how awesome my purchase was. It seems like if I talked about how awesome and superior the pc was all the time, it would betray the fact that I might not be too confident in my purchase. I think pc is way better.....for me. No need to look back at the 30fps days like Auschwitz.

Here is a real concession: I'm super envious that consoles get their games specifically optimized for their system most of the time. I think it sucks that pc games dont get the same treatment a lot of the time.

30fps with lower settings and sometimes sub 1080p resolution isn't really optimizing. We call it sacrificing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#30 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@hillelslovak said:

30fps with lower settings and sometimes sub 1080p resolution isn't really optimizing. We call it sacrificing.

Fair, but I meant more around bugs and glitches. I had a lot on PS3, FO3 in particular, but from what I remember, there were not a lot of cases on 360 where a patch completely screwed up a game, and we had to wait weeks. Might be nostalgia, might not.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

@navyguy21 said:

F

you should be a teacher.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#32  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

If it's truly that important, PC games will support it too.

More interested in OLED, ultrawide and a higher refresh rate first. I don't want brighter brights. White on my screen is already quite bright. But more colors are always welcome.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By m3dude1

@KungfuKitten: that comment proves you haveno idea what hdr even is

"I dont want brighter brights"

The luls never stop

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#35  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@m3dude1 said:

@KungfuKitten: that comment proves you haveno idea what hdr even is

"I dont want brighter brights"

The luls never stop

Uh... I'm pretty sure the brights do appear brighter with HDR. And that concerns me because brights are already very bright to me. I know you can lower the brightness overall, but doesn't that negate a lot of the cool things that HDR does? Hmm. I've never played around with it no. For me it's all hearsay.

TechHive:
The idea behind HDR video is similar: It increases the range of brightness in an image to boost the contrast between the lightest lights and the darkest darks. If you’re having difficulty grasping how that translates into a more realistic image on your screen, think of the subtle tonal gradations a fine artist creates in a charcoal drawing to build the illusion of volume, mass, and texture, and you should begin to get the picture. But HDR doesn’t just improve grayscale; its greater luminance range opens up a video’s color palette as well. “Basically, it’s blacker blacks, whiter whites, and higher brightness and contrast levels for colors across the spectrum,” says Glenn Hower, a research analyst at Parks Associates.

Wiki:
Another aspect of HDR rendering is the addition of perceptual cues which increase apparent brightness. HDR rendering also affects how light is preserved in optical phenomena such as reflections and refractions, as well as transparent materials such as glass. In LDR rendering, very bright light sources in a scene (such as the sun) are capped at 1.0. When this light is reflected the result must then be less than or equal to 1.0. However, in HDR rendering, very bright light sources can exceed the 1.0 brightness to simulate their actual values. This allows reflections off surfaces to maintain realistic brightness for bright light sources.

TrustedReviews:
In a nutshell, it’s the ability to display a wider and richer range of colours, much brighter whites, and much deeper, darker blacks. This gives the TV picture a more ‘dynamic’ look, which is where the name comes from.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

@m3dude1 said:

So, original 900pStation has HDMI 2.0, cool and lol Fall, greatness still awaits. I'm getting an LG OLED 65G6P exclusively for my PC as soon as it's available in my country, you mad?

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By m3dude1

@zeeshanhaider said:
@m3dude1 said:

So, original 900pStation has HDMI 2.0, cool and lol Fall, greatness still awaits. I'm getting an LG OLED 65G6P exclusively for my PC as soon as it's available in my country, you mad?

the english in this post is so bad im not even sure what you are trying to say. no idea why you are buying an hdr tv for pc when there is no software you can actually use with it. id only be mad if i was stuck playing games in LDR mode

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 zeeshanhaider

@m3dude1 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:
@m3dude1 said:

the english in this post is so bad im not even sure what you are trying to say. no idea why you are buying an hdr tv for pc when there is no software you can actually use with it. id only be mad if i was stuck playing games in LDR mode

So, original 900pStation don't have HDMI 2.0, great. Oh a,d waiting for fall to get any HDR and non 4K content, keep waiting for greatness. By the way, don't worry about PC gamers being stuck with LDR. It's the console gamers you should be worried about who are cheap assholes stuck with $300-$400 cheap ass tablet CPUs and 2010 level GPU's. I'm sure all of them gonna spend $7K on HDR TVs.

Oh, and you think Nvidia and AMD will just let game companies go without implementing HDR support for PC games while having the same for consoles despite the fact that they pay to implement their proprietary features like GAMEWORKS etc. Keep praying for PC to not have any HDR games.

By the way, what HDR game are you playing on 900pStation right now?

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By m3dude1

ps4 has hdmi 2.0 and will support HDR games. so why do forza horizon 3 and nba 2k17 not support hdr on PC? nvidia run out of money? lol pc master waiter race. all they do is wait.

it will be a couple months at most until ps4 firmware update releases but it will probably come in nov when ps4 pro launches. you could be waiting years for hdr to be regularly supported on pc.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 zeeshanhaider

@m3dude1 said:

ps4 has hdmi 2.0 and will support HDR games. so why do forza horizon 3 and nba 2k17 not support hdr on PC? nvidia run out of money? lol pc master waiter race. all they do is wait.

it will be a couple months at most until ps4 firmware update releases but it will probably come in nov when ps4 pro launches. you could be waiting years for hdr to be regularly supported on pc.

Well, I don't own a 900pStation but can you confirm it has a HDMI 2.0 port? Because as far as I know HDMI 2.0 was developed after the release of current gen consoles and 900pStation was released with HDMI 1.4. Anyway, so two games that just got released have you figured that PC will never have HDR support, cool!

So I take it there's no HDR content on 900pStation? Funny you can wait for greatness on 900pStation but not going to give PC even the benefit of the doubt of getting HDR support, cool again. It would be fun seeing it's coming to bit you in the ass just like all your past claims when all PC games are shipping with HDR and consolites are stuck with non 4K blurry sub 30FPS IQ on their imaginary HDR TVs. :D

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

@m3dude1 said:

Um 4.0 firmware is out already this month, do you actually own the console you seem to worship so much? Not that there's any hdr content but it's still there.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 zeeshanhaider

@howmakewood said:
@m3dude1 said:

Um 4.0 firmware is out already this month, do you actually own the console you seem to worship so much? Not that there's any hdr content but it's still there.

LOL, El-Tomato 2.0. By the way, it has HDMI 2.0 or not?

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

@zeeshanhaider: dont know the exact specifications but it does have enough bandwidth to sport hdr output, haven't really been able to test it, it does recognize my tv as hdr display, but I have no content for ps4 to try it out, I've got 4k netflix sub but the ps4 app can't play 4k so no hdr

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By m3dude1

ps4 games will start receiving hdr patches in November alongside ps4 pro launch. xbone already has nba 2k17 and forza horizon 3. gears of war 4 will also support hdr(not on pc tho lmao). theres virtually no developer support for hdr on pc planned. every developer says the same line

"we will consider adding hdr support in a patch if theirs enough demand"

pc master waiter race

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 zeeshanhaider

@howmakewood said:

@zeeshanhaider: dont know the exact specifications but it does have enough bandwidth to sport hdr output, haven't really been able to test it, it does recognize my tv as hdr display, but I have no content for ps4 to try it out, I've got 4k netflix sub but the ps4 app can't play 4k so no hdr

According to these following links for true HDR you need HDMI 2.0. If 900pstation doesn't have it then it probably will fake it, may be the reason MS released 'S' for HDR.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/hdmi_2_0a_faq.aspx

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/hdmi_2_0a_faq.aspx

@m3dude1 said:

ps4 games will start receiving hdr patches in November alongside ps4 pro launch. xbone already has nba 2k17 and forza horizon 3. gears of war 4 will also support hdr(not on pc tho lmao). theres virtually no developer support for hdr on pc planned. every developer says the same line

"we will consider adding hdr support in a patch if theirs enough demand"

pc master waiter race

So, which 900pStation game you are playing in HDR now?

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 m3dude1

@zeeshanhaider: ps gamers will be playing hdr games in less than 2 months, xbone gamers are playing them now. pc definitely wont be playing them any time soon.

master waiter race

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Juub1990

@m3dude1: Are you guys getting games at higher settings, resolution and fps? Are you getting fee online yet? Cause I'd take all of that over HDR. When is that 4th worthwhile exclusive coming?

Be subtle when trolling.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 zeeshanhaider

@m3dude1 said:

@zeeshanhaider: ps gamers will be playing hdr games in less than 2 months, xbone gamers are playing them now. pc definitely wont be playing them any time soon.

master waiter race

:D

Is that a no? Still waiting for greatness?

By the way, how will cows be playing HDR games without HDMI 2.0? Oh and I would love a source that says BF1 won't be getting HDR on PC.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By m3dude1

@Juub1990 said:

@m3dude1: Are you guys getting games at higher settings, resolution and fps? Are you getting fee online yet? Cause I'd take all of that over HDR. When is that 4th worthwhile exclusive coming?

Be subtle when trolling.

ill give you fps, but even that is a waiting game with how awful pc ports are lately(good luck running forza horizon 3 at even 60 fps on pc, much less 120/144). hdr is a much bigger boon than higher res or the marginal settings improvements pc ports get

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Juub1990

@m3dude1: Yeah a wider color range is better than much higher frame rates, higher settings and higher resolution. If there is one thing you don't take consoles for it's image quality. Not to mention TV's that support full HDR are still rare and rather expensive.