A bit disappointed by Rise of the Tomb Raider.

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

As a fan of the series since the very first Tomb Raider on MS-Dos back in 90s, I always preferred the game's approach to delivering bigger environments and challenging puzzles. To solve just one puzzle, you had to move from one area to another ... When Tomb Raider was rebooted in 2013, at first I didn't like the idea of it being more linear, set piece piece heavy and having a different tone than previous games but I still loved the game and thought that they'll take the feedback seriously and bring back features that were removed from the reboot.

They said earlier this year that they are bringing back old features, making the game more non linear, putting Tombs back into Tomb Raider etc. I was very happy to hear that but after watching E3 demo and Siberian Wilderness gameplay of it, I'm a bit disappointed. I'm not saying that the game is going to be bad, and TBH I'm still looking forward to this game but the demo was very underwhelming.

First they showcased extremely linear on stage demo, which was completely on-rail. It reminded me off similar scene from Modern Warfare 2. Then they showed Siberian Wilderness gameplay, which gave me the impression that you still walk in a straight line from the beginning to the end. And the worst part of the demo were QTEs. If they are taking feedback seriously then why are they bringing those back? It's a bit strange that it's 2015 and devs are still obsessed with QTEs.

Small teaser at the end of the demo didn't help either because so called puzzle solving also looked linear where you are just doing what you are told to do instead of moving from point A to B and back to A and figuring out how your each move is affecting xyz environment, and what the game really demands you to do in order to progress.

I am still looking forward to the game and it's among my most anticipated games but these are some of the problems that I expected them to resolve in the sequel. What you guys thought about the demo? Do you think it was showcased like that just to attract more people and/or it was early moments in the game and rest of the game will be different?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60695 Posts

I really liked the last game. I wish they would allow you to pick your own path for the upgrades, meaning you can add points to what ever you want. As it stands you had to even out your abilities between all of them before the next tear unlocked.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58821 Posts

Last game gears of war with arrow. Not Tomb Raider.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

They lied with the reboot, they said Tomb Raider should be survival game. Lara Croft should not be like a female Rambo, but before end of the game you started kill lots of people left and right

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

@aroxx_ab: Female Rambo? Sold!

The Tomb Raider Reboot did try to do some Tombs, but i felt they were kinda boring in the game. I remember when i played and beat it they said they would add a bunch more Tombs for DLC or something and i was like, meh, ill skip that shat. Loved the game though, just didnt care for the Tomb part of it.

I hope they can do Tombs better in this one, will be sweet. I feel sorry for the developers though, fans want a bunch of Tombs, but having a bunch of Tombs in one place is kinda weird. Lara was on an Island, how many Tombs can you have? I hope they can find a way to do it, but they need to have different places in the game and then they can install a bunch of Tombs in different parts. I think thats what they are trying to do.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Tomb Raider Legend.

Not gonna say anything else.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@mesome713 said:

@aroxx_ab: Female Rambo? Sold!

The Tomb Raider Reboot did try to do some Tombs, but i felt they were kinda boring in the game. I remember when i played and beat it they said they would had a bunch more Tombs for DLC or something and i was like, meh, ill skip that shat. Loved the game though, just didnt care for the Tomb part of it.

I hope they can do Tombs better in this one, will be sweet.

Would be sweet if they did it like the two first Tomb Raider that was more focus on exploring and solving puzzles, that would be amazing.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cloud_imperium
@Ant_17 said:

Tomb Raider Legend.

Approved.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@Ant_17 said:

Tomb Raider Legend.

Awesome game.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#10 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Cloud_imperium: it was a very scripted demo, so i need to see more before i pass judgment

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Cloud_imperium

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Cloud_imperium: it was a very scripted demo, so i need to see more before i pass judgment

That's what I am hoping for as well.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

No doubt, I dunno who green lighted that as a way to show off the game. Makes me very concerned for the rest

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 The_Last_Ride

@blue_hazy_basic said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

No doubt, I dunno who green lighted that as a way to show off the game. Makes me very concerned for the rest

one can not pass judgment on something like that and say - "yeah i am so going to buy that"

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4574 Posts

It looks like it is trying to be like Uncharted with the QTE's and scripted set pieces which isn't necessarily bad because Uncharted does that very well. That's my issue with it though, I have Uncharted already, I want Tomb Raider to feel like Tomb Raider with exploration and brain teasing puzzles, you know, all those things that made me love the franchise on the PS1.

Copying Uncharted makes sense though considering it is one of the most accomplished franchises of last gen so the formula for Uncharted type games work, but like I said, I have Uncharted for my Uncharted fix and now I want what Tomb Raider used to offer.

I still want this game too, but I'm not sure if it is day 1 or if it is a wait and see game for me. The last games price plummeted just weeks after release so waiting may be beneficial for me.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#15 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

I expect a logical evolution from the 2013 game. Probably bigger areas. More environment variety. New ways to take out enemies. Tomb raiding. Those of you who think that E3 demo was an indication of what the game will be isn't thinking straight. The game will be good. Most of you should search for the siberian wilderness video and it shows stealth gameplay. Much more indicative of what the game will turn out to be.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

I liked what I saw. Personally I want them continue in a similar style to the last one. Having challenging puzzles in a AAA game is pretty unreasonable and is not going to happen. That said I hope they are a bit more complex than in TR2013 and that some tombs have multiple puzzles. I dunno, I really like linear, cinematic setpieces. I take that over grinding for resources any time.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 The_Last_Ride

@Cloud_imperium said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

That's what I am hoping for as well.

for someone to say that was the best game at E3 is really ignorant. I want to see pure gameplay section like The Last Guardian or even Need For Speed before i actually judge the game

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

Well considering you've seen a 2 minute trailer, I hardly think you've seen what the game really has to offer. Instead of getting your panties up in a bunch, just wait it out and see what it turns into. They had to change the tomb raider forumula up with the last one because no one was buying that stale brand anymore, and honestly the last one was well done so I'm not worried about the next one much.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Cloud_imperium

@bobrossperm said:

I expect a logical evolution from the 2013 game. Probably bigger areas. More environment variety. New ways to take out enemies. Tomb raiding. Those of you who think that E3 demo was an indication of what the game will be isn't thinking straight. The game will be good. Most of you should search for the siberian wilderness video and it shows stealth gameplay. Much more indicative of what the game will turn out to be.

I mentioned Siberian Wilderness gameplay in thread description as well. It had QTEs and linear design.

@iambatman7986 said:

It looks like it is trying to be like Uncharted with the QTE's and scripted set pieces which isn't necessarily bad because Uncharted does that very well. That's my issue with it though, I have Uncharted already, I want Tomb Raider to feel like Tomb Raider with exploration and brain teasing puzzles, you know, all those things that made me love the franchise on the PS1.

Copying Uncharted makes sense though considering it is one of the most accomplished franchises of last gen so the formula for Uncharted type games work, but like I said, I have Uncharted for my Uncharted fix and now I want what Tomb Raider used to offer.

I still want this game too, but I'm not sure if it is day 1 or if it is a wait and see game for me. The last games price plummeted just weeks after release so waiting may be beneficial for me.

Couldn't have said better. If I want Uncharted, I can play that game. When I think about Tomb Raider, then I expect actual Tomb Raider game, that I used to prefer over Uncharted series,,, not UC clone.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts
@Cloud_imperium said:
@bobrossperm said:

I mentioned Siberian Wilderness gameplay in thread description as well. It had QTEs and linear design.

@iambatman7986 said:

Couldn't have said better. If I want Uncharted, I can play that game. When I think about Tomb Raider, then I expect actual Tomb Raider game, that I used to prefer over Uncharted series,,, not UC clone.

Except those aren't QTE's. Nor does Uncharted 4 use QTE's. It shows stealth gameplay in what is going to be an open environment. Enemy encounters with bears and shit is a pillar of the level. It doesn't mean it's a QTE event. You actually fight the bear. But levels are going to be opened out and you will be able to approach situations how you want. Craft items and it will have light RPG upgrade elements. Listing those features is all well and good but how it is implamented is what matters more. One of the reasons why I think this game won't be as well structured or paced as Uncharted 4. But I do believe it will have elements that attract people to it over Uncharted. And we have no idea how elaborate or fun the tomb raiding will be.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

I liked the first one, i just hope they put more emphasis on survival instead of Lara being female Rambo.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@Cloud_imperium: Didn't you see this whooping 15 minutes of gameplay?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=_7eRkUO6u90

This should address all your fears.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Cloud_imperium

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@Cloud_imperium: Didn't you see this whooping 15 minutes of gameplay?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=_7eRkUO6u90

This should address all your fears.

I did. And I mentioned it as well.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

TR2013 was bad. This one will be bad. What's the issue here?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Old school Tomb Raider never had challenging puzzles, it had puzzles, but not challenging ones. You were a kid, you didn't know any better.

But yes turning it into a bombastic manshoot has been a dull direction, because they hint at something cooler with that ghetto Metroid structure, the survival elements, and the optional tombs, and they screwed all of that up just so they could get some third person shooting in. Reboot is an underwhelming game.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

It's really just the start of the game and hopefully not completely indicative of how the rest of it will be. Just showing off some pretty graphics and Lara getting controlled, without giving away anything from the game's story.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

I have to agree. I feel the same way about that scripted demo.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Absolutely loved the last game... will almost certainly love this one too.

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

What pains me in this case is that CD is amazing at level design and puzzles. Just look at Anniversary, which is the best TR in my eyes. I really hope there are parts of Rise that are more like that. Some of the plataforming/puzzles in Atlantis were legendary.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

It looks alright, but I can already tell the survival and crafting elements will be paper thin again. No regenerating health is welcome addition though(at least it looks like she had to use med kits in that fight with the bear).

Also devs have already stated that they won't make tomb puzzles that take it long time to figure out. That part is forever gone in this incarnation of the series. The did say they wold make the tomb has multiple puzzles though and incorporate some decent rewards so it is still an improvement over TR2013 in that regard.

I will go into it expecting a cinematic shooter which fine by me, although I think Lara's voice actress and writing sucks.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SolidTy

@magicalclick said:

I like TR2013, especially it was free on GwG so soon. XD.

Was TR 2013 released for free so soon?

I do have multiple copies of TR, although I'm not a huge fan, here's the dates of the game.

1. Tomb Raider launched March 2013.
  2. PS+ TR released in March 2014 (for a month).
  3. GWG TR released in March 2015 (for 15 days) this year, a full year after the PS+ freebie.

The GWG TR release earlier this year 2015 seemed pretty late tbh. Maybe it seemed early if you aren't a PS+ subscriber? I have both subs so the late releases of GWG multiplats stand out more.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

They showed off different environments.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SolidTy

@magicalclick said:

@SolidTy:

I just checked my achievements. I have it on 7/12/2013 with Crab Cake. I got it with GwG, no rental.

I remembered it is the very first GwG or something like that. They later give it free again, and I already had it with GwG long ago.

Intriguing mystery, my fellow gamer.

Here's what I know:

2013 was the year TR released at Retail, TR wasn't GWG until March this year for 360. Here's a link to Major Nelson's announcements:

http://majornelson.com/2015/02/25/xbox-live-games-gold-march-2015/

Plus, that seems odd that the game released in March 2013 and by July 2013 (a few months later) you said GWG gave it to you for free. Eidos/SE were still making money on the game at that time. I'm guessing you bought a Digital copy or came across it by other means since the game was brand new at that point.

I have all the GWG games released ever btw, I've been with Xbox Live since the Xbox 1 OG, for over a decade well before GWG existed. I keep track of all of them to make sure I don't miss a game.

I'm guessing you got TR some other way for various reasons, especially since the 360 avoids repeat GWG unlike the Xbone.

There are many links of GWG games released that are tracked at a few sites, but here's one that tracks the time GWG TR was released in March 2015 (besides Major Nelson above):

http://www.tekrevue.com/complete-xbox-games-with-gold-list-details/

Tomb Raider (2013)Xbox 3602015-03-012013-03-05$19.99
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Thought the last game was barely passable. The cover system too automatic. Going through a game the player should have confidence in what they can and cannot take cover to, and should be more in control of such a prominent part of the gameplay.

As for the comparison to the original game. Even today if someone sat me down and asked me to play the two I'd say the original was far better in every way. The original game created a sense of fear. It sort of fit in line with REsident Evil in the sense that the unknown was an enemy the player was always surrounded by.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SolidTy

@magicalclick said:

@SolidTy:

Maybe it was free before GwG program. All I can tell you is that I got it free on July 2013 on XBL. That's it. Why you must dismiss the fact that I am telling you?

That's why I told you. It was sooooo soooooon. I was shocked and blessed. That's it.

Do you have any links to TR ever being free a few months after release in 2013? I provided two links and evidence to the game. I did do a search for ya and I couldn't find anything on it.

I'm not doubting you have/had the game, I'm just doubting your memory on how you came about getting the game because we are all human and we can forget things. At least you are open now after the evidence to GWG not being the reason it was free.

Truth be told, I've had this kind of conversation about a dozen times before on the internet and in real life. Usually they remember they got it free due to customer service, they got a gift card with Xbox points, they rented it and forgot, there was a glitch and they took advantage, or something else.

I patrol XBL like every week for deals, and I would have snagged TR for free if it was free for users a few months after launch as it was still $60 at the time. I would have told everyone in SW as a matter of fact and sent out messages to my friends on a deal that good.

If you got it for free somehow, I'm happy for ya, but I wonder how it happened. Maybe it was like bonus points from Bing? Maybe extra Xbox Live points converted?

You are right, that is very soon to get a game a few months after release for free. It just wasn't due to GWG that I can see but certainly something happened and you got a deal somehow.

Again, no ill will, I am off to meet some friends tonight. I hope you have a good night yourself and maybe the mystery will resolve itself, and maybe not. No bigs. :P

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

The last game was pretty damn great so if they give me more of that I'm fine.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Last game gears of war with arrow. Not Tomb Raider.

Pretty much what TR has became, a boring thread person shooter.

I am a huge fan of Tomb Raider series and I am very disappointed with the last TR, were are the puzzles, bigger environments, backtracking all these are absentee. If you had played the old Tomb Raiders(1-5) especially the TR4 you will understand what I mean.

I am not going to buy the new TR because I didn't enjoy the last one, I will continue replaying the old Tomb Raiders that I enjoy infinitely more.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#43 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@Krelian-co said:

I liked the first one, i just hope they put more emphasis on survival instead of Lara being female Rambo.

Agree I also loved the first game I hope they add more depth to the upgrade system.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

As I have said before, It looks like they are trying to out do Uncharted doing Uncharted.

The problem is they aren't going to out do a current gen Uncharted with a cross-gen, extremely linear scripted heavy game that looks more like it's trying to surpass a last gen Uncharted 2 than something released this generation.

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

As a fan of the series since the very first Tomb Raider on MS-Dos back in 90s, I always preferred the game's approach to delivering bigger environments and challenging puzzles. To solve just one puzzle, you had to move from one area to another ... When Tomb Raider was rebooted in 2013, at first I didn't like the idea of it being more linear, set piece piece heavy and having a different tone than previous games but I still loved the game and thought that they'll take the feedback seriously and bring back features that were removed from the reboot.

They said earlier this year that they are bringing back old features, making the game more non linear, putting Tombs back into Tomb Raider etc. I was very happy to hear that but after watching E3 demo and Siberian Wilderness gameplay of it, I'm a bit disappointed. I'm not saying that the game is going to be bad, and TBH I'm still looking forward to this game but the demo was very underwhelming.

First they showcased extremely linear on stage demo, which was completely on-rail. It reminded me off similar scene from Modern Warfare 2. Then they showed Siberian Wilderness gameplay, which gave me the impression that you still walk in a straight line from the beginning to the end. And the worst part of the demo were QTEs. If they are taking feedback seriously then why are they bringing those back? It's a bit strange that it's 2015 and devs are still obsessed with QTEs.

Small teaser at the end of the demo didn't help either because so called puzzle solving also looked linear where you are just doing what you are told to do instead of moving from point A to B and back to A and figuring out how your each move is affecting xyz environment, and what the game really demands you to do in order to progress.

I am still looking forward to the game and it's among my most anticipated games but these are some of the problems that I expected them to resolve in the sequel. What you guys thought about the demo? Do you think it was showcased like that just to attract more people and/or it was early moments in the game and rest of the game will be different?

The last TR had linear part and most of the game was not so linear. I admit that the whole game was almost linear but not as much as what we seen in the E3 demo. I've seen another E3 demo that was showing more of the game the game is for sure not as linear as the E3 demo everybody saw. And linear part for TR is great; This mix with a half free world like the last one will be good. Even Uncharted 4 have linear part as I saw in the extended E3 demo that got release like 2 days ago.

Like the TR 2013 and the next one, most of the game will be in a half freeworld.

For the puzzle, they were nice in the last TR but I admit that we could have something more to it. Something like logic puzzle I've saw in Saw 3.

Here a blog I've written about the new TR:

http://gamingnews244.blogspot.ca/2015/06/rise-of-tomb-raider-video-interview.html

Guy_Brohski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Guy_Brohski
Member since 2013 • 2221 Posts

Eh, the 2013 Tomb Raider stage demo reveal (E3 2012) was also very linear, with Lara just walking through a narrow, flooded tunnel holding a torch. And the final game was excellent. Don't judge a game by its E3 stage demo is what I'm getting at.

Guy_Brohski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Guy_Brohski
Member since 2013 • 2221 Posts

@kinectthedots: But Uncharted was originally just trying to outdo a Tomb Raider doing Tomb Raider so really what's the difference? Just because there is a snow level it's like Uncharted 2? The first gameplay shown of Uncharted 4 features N Drake climbing rocks and carrying a flashlight, which sounds suspiciously like Tomb Raider 2013. Uncharted 4 copying TR confirmed? We all know which game came first in the genre, and it isn't Dude Raider..

Gwynnblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Gwynnblade
Member since 2015 • 931 Posts

I'm a bit skeptical about this game now too. I sometimes wish that the 'demo culture' hadn't withered away. At least we would have known how the game is going to be. I'm not resting my hopes on what I've seen - I'm not even having hopes about it at all. From what I've seen, the chances of it being 'non-linear' are next to none.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#49 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@SolidTy said:
@magicalclick said:

I do have multiple copies of TR, although I'm not a huge fan, here's the dates of the game.

3. GWG TR released in March 2015 (for 15 days) this year, a full year after the PS+ freebie.

The GWG TR release earlier this year 2015 seemed pretty late tbh. Maybe it seemed early if you aren't a PS+ subscriber? I have both subs so the late releases of GWG multiplats stand out more.

I am assuming you are talking about the original, but it's worth noting that the PS4 definitive edition was on sale for $15 most of this year (it may still be?) I know i picked it up then.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SolidTy

@Midnightshade29 said:
@SolidTy said:
@magicalclick said:

I am assuming you are talking about the original, but it's worth noting that the PS4 definitive edition was on sale for $15 most of this year (it may still be?) I know i picked it up then.

Yes, I was talking about the original release date.

@magicalclick said:

@SolidTy:

I can only tell you I have it free downloaded from XBL on July 10, 2013 for my very first Tomb Raider achievement, and my download history shows that I downloaded between Fable3 and Ass Creed2 GwG. As to why it was not on the wiki, I don't know. But, Tomb Raider was offered as the very first free game on XBL during the launch of GwG. Whether is was promoted as GwG or not is not my concern.

And no, I would not buy it because I have Gamefly, I cant rent it just fine. I was going to rent it after I finished my other game, but, they offered it free, so I got it instead of using Gamefly.

If you don't believe me, go ask around Xbox360 owners. I have spend too much time trying to hunt down the forum which I may not even reply to. If you doubt my credibility, ask more Xbox360 owners.

Tomb Raider wasn't offered as the first free game for GWG though. I understand you have achievements on the game a few months after launch, but that doesn't mean it was a free GWG or XBL promotion because I scoured the 'net and it doesn't appear it was free in that time frame. I also know personally it wasn't as well because I check XBL religiously.

You also said you have Gamefly...I'm not sure how you got your hands on it early. I think you had extra Xbox points or something else happened, but it wasn't offered as a promotion for GWG unless you got a glitched deal.

I can only speak to you as someone who has followed GWG religiously, follows XBL promotions religiously, and someone that has researched this strange 2013 TR anomaly that only you so far has claimed (with no citation I may add). I know that there are code generators and other types of promotions done on the internet, maybe you got a deal with Eidos, maybe someone let you borrow the game in July, I don't know.

All I can tell you is that your TR copy in July 2013 isn't GWG related. GWG didn't offer the game at that time, as I linked earlier. I've researched it, plus like I said, I check XBL every week since I've been with XBLGold for over a decade. You told me to ask around. I did and no one I know got the game at that time. Every 360 owner I do know with Gold does have the game though as we all got it free a few months ago with GWG back in March 2015. That's why GWG is also known as Games with Old, because we typically get the games much later than the competitive services.

If you got a free copy earlier, somehow, that's good. I'm happy for you, but it wasn't due to GWG....unless you can find some citation otherwise which I have combed for, it was never with GWG. Plus, I would have noticed that and told everyone about that deal way back in July 2013 because that would have been a great GWG deal. In fact, GWG started for the first time in June 2013. Maybe you came across a glitch, but TR wasn't a GWG promotion.

Do you have multiple region accounts of Xbox Live? I know people exploit regions to get free games.

There was a glitch on XBL (that I never took part in) where you could to in order to see games on the marketplace, which involved you searching the game up on an account in a different region, then selecting the game with the Oman account. Otherwise there is no way to get to the game because the XBL marketplace was never active in that country.

Traditionally, doing that glitch would just make every game come up as 99999999999 microsoft points. Which is waaaay more than any sane person would spend. When Microsoft switched to real world currency. 99999999999 microsoft points was accidently converted to "FREE".