8 minutes of Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor gameplay

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@El_Zo1212o said:

I was totally stoked when I first read the GI cover article. This video has officially made this game my first must have title of the year.

@cfisher2833 and @uninspiredcup: will you both shut the **** up? A new game that you've only seen the barest fraction of and you're already making dumbass prognostications. And the LotR stories were good reading, but stop kidding yourself- they did not, and will not ever, change the world. They're fucking works of fiction, for Christ's sake!

Back on topic: Since Batman: AA, I've played every similar beat em up released(as far as I know)- The 3 Arkhams, Cap: SS, Sleeping Dogs, and TMNT OotS- each one of them put their own spin on the new standard of strike-counter-strike melee combat- whether with changes to the level of interactivity with the environment, different methods of executing special moves, or even different kinds of basic combat maneuvers. I can't wait to see what this one brings to the table. This will make the third LotR game I've bought this generation, and my hope is it'll be the best of the bunch.

The problem as I see it is, I was expecting something along the lines of the Witcher 3 or Dragon Age Inquisition--an open world RPG with real time combat. This looks like Assassins Creed: Middle Earth, and I seriously can't stand the Assassins Creed games. I find them to be horrendous--the one series whose popularity I just can't understand.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

It looks extremely similar to AC games but they do have nice free running so I'm not gonna complain too much

I don't like the wraith helping you see through walls kind of thing though but the combat looks fun albeit probably very simple and shallow

I'm just happy it doesn't look terrible like I expected

Why did you expect this to turn out terrible ? We had seen nothing before this.

because of every other modern LOTR game

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

I'm a little curious about this "nemesis" system. It seems some people are just writing it off because it sort of resembles AC. Will need to see some more.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#54  Edited By ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Consider me hyped.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#55 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

Looks good.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

It looks extremely similar to AC games but they do have nice free running so I'm not gonna complain too much

I don't like the wraith helping you see through walls kind of thing though but the combat looks fun albeit probably very simple and shallow

Well, LotR RTS games (The Battle for Middle Earth) turned out pretty damn good.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#57 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58908 Posts

I agree, it was ok. Sort of. Total War (and it has been modded) is best suited for it, not a small CnC type game.

Zaraxius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By Zaraxius
Member since 2013 • 221 Posts

Looks like garbage, honestly. I hate the Assassin's Creed series as well.

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59 PyratRum
Member since 2013 • 778 Posts

Yeah, the traversing mechanics look and awful lot like Assassin's Creed, but it still looks pretty damn cool.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

This is a weird situation with regards to the Assassins creed similarities as it shares more in common mechanically with the Batman games than Assassins Creed which is no surprise as both devs are under the WB games brand. But then again, some of the mechanics it uses are actually or were present in the LOTR games on PS2 so there is some weird copycat circle going on here

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Lego LOTR is awesome and I dont even like LOTR. You shut your whore mouth!

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

Looks really good.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46254 Posts

@IgGy621985 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Well, LotR RTS games (The Battle for Middle Earth) turned out pretty damn good.

Same here. I liked those games from EA, along with the hack & slash games based on the movies. They weren't the best, but they were still a lot of fun.

Haven't really played any WB LOTR games, though I still have to try them as I got them with the Humble WB Bundle. But sean is right in a way, I really hope this game can stand out. Because it's been a while since we've had a really great LOTR game (BFME 2)

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#66  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Looks really interesting and i miss a good LotR game. I'm hyped now!

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

That whole system they mentioned sounds like something they have to actually be bothered to code. So it'll most likely be underwhelming

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#68  Edited By dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

:Looks fucking awesome

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 dommeus

@Salt_The_Fries said:

I hope it does well as Monolith deserve to rise from ashes.

ttli

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#70 kalipekona
Member since 2003 • 2492 Posts

@IgGy621985 said:

Gameplay revealed. Looks pretty nice. Assassin's Creed/Batman combo.

Go here to watch it.

What do you think?

I think it looks fantastic. The gameplay and narrative seem promising and the LithTech engine is quite impressive.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@zaraxius: Oh well this game is probably not the game for you then. Not sure why you think that makes it garbage exactly.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@dommeus said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

ttli

What do you mean?

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@CARNAGES41 said:

Would be better without all that "super-power" bullshit, I don't know why they always have to add magic to these type of games

Magic barely exists in the books. But again, this is a video game designed for young children who wish to be a cool dude Assassins Creed man for an hour.

Read the books again. There is ton of magic in the books.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

Why does it seem that nearly every game now-a-days has some sort of mechanic/ability where you can see through walls? I can't fvcking stand it personally. Makes games way too easy.

NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

I am now interested in this game, an AC LotR is a great idea.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 uninspiredcup

@Icarian said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@CARNAGES41 said:

Would be better without all that "super-power" bullshit, I don't know why they always have to add magic to these type of games

Magic barely exists in the books. But again, this is a video game designed for young children who wish to be a cool dude Assassins Creed man for an hour.

My friend, it has read it 5 times. Perhaps it is you who should go back. We are talking about the books, not Peter Jacksons terrible Michael Bay movies.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By deactivated-660c2894dc19c

@uninspiredcup said:

@Icarian said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@CARNAGES41 said:

My friend, it has read it 5 times. Perhaps it is you who should go back. We are talking about the books, not Peter Jacksons terrible Michael Bay movies.

So you forgot that there're plenty of magical creatures in the books like Ringwraiths, barrow-wights, the Maiar, ghosts, the Ainur. Or the number of magical items or constructions like the Ring, Sting and many other elven made weapons and armor, the door to Moria, the secret door to the Lonely Mountain, Orthanc, the staves of the Maiar, elven cloaks, most of the gifts Galadriel gave to the Fellowship had magical properties.

And there were also people with magical talents like Elrond's foresight and Aragorn's healing touch. There were prophecies like Glorfindel prophesied the fall of the Witchking. Several spells were cast during the books. Gandalf used spells to create fire and light, he tried to stop Balrog with spells and used spells to disarm Gimli and Aragorn, he cast spells to drive the Ringwraiths away and knocked Wormtongue down with a flash of light and many many more. Elrond summoned a flood to stop the Ringwraiths. The magic in the books were a little bit different than the nowadays so typical fireballs and lighting bolts, but still a crucial part of the story.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 uninspiredcup

@Icarian said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@Icarian said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@CARNAGES41 said:

So you forgot that there're plenty of magical creatures in the books like Ringwraiths, barrow-wights, the Maiar, ghosts, the Ainur. Or the number of magical items or constructions like the Ring, Sting and many other elven made weapons and armor, the door to Moria, the secret door to the Lonely Mountain, Orthanc, the staves of the Maiar, elven cloaks, most of the gifts Galadriel gave to the Fellowship had magical properties.

And there were also people with magical talents like Elrond's foresight and Aragorn's healing touch. There were prophecies like Glorfindel prophesied the fall of the Witchking. Several spells were cast during the books. Gandalf used spells to create fire and light, he tried to stop Balrog with spells and used spells to disarm Gimli and Aragorn, he cast spells to drive the Ringwraiths away and knocked Wormtongue down with a flash of light and many many more. Elrond summoned a flood to stop the Ringwraiths. The magic in the books were a little bit different than the nowadays so typical fireballs and lighting bolts, but still a crucial part of the story.

My friend, a magical creature doesn't count as magic. It counts as something with magical origins.

Praisedasun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Praisedasun
Member since 2013 • 504 Posts

To me,it looked a lot like a DMC game set on middle earth.Because of the combat,mainly.

Anyway,just as a guy earlier said,this game doesn't capture the spirit of tolkien's creations.But if they can put together a good plot,nice background music and better combat mechanics(I saw many qte's,this must change IMO) I will consider buying it.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#80 Nonstop-Madness  Online
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

Definitely seeing some Batman and AC elements. I'll keep an eye out for this one.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

@cfisher2833: Awesome of you to address my comment rather than raging at my little STFU seizure.

I can see wanting a more traditional RPG experience, but I only just heard of this game's existence in the GI cover article a month or two ago. That article made it pretty clear to me what kind of game it was going to be- right down to the A'sC and B:A comparisons. Did you have a reason to expect the game to resemble your examples, or were you just hoping?

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Lego LOTR is awesome and I dont even like LOTR. You shut your whore mouth!

Those damn lego games are more fun than they probably should be. I want some Lego James Bond.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
@uninspiredcup said:

@Icarian said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@Icarian said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@CARNAGES41 said:

My friend, a magical creature doesn't count as magic. It counts as something with magical origins.

They do count as magic because they're created with magic and they use magic. And in this particular game a magical creature (wraith) gives magical powers to the protagonist.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By dommeus

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@dommeus said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

ttli

What do you mean?

they were a brilliant developer, and 'ttli' deserve to be at the forefront once again

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

What is this crap ? Worse game in LOTR universe confirmed (by far)

At least give another name for christ, dont throw the LOTR name any lower than it has already gone

Poor Tolkien, if he only knew ...

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#86 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

@22Toothpicks said:

Why does it seem that nearly every game now-a-days has some sort of mechanic/ability where you can see through walls? I can't fvcking stand it personally. Makes games way too easy.

I agree with this. The game looks great, though!

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#87 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

@Vaasman said:

This looks like it could be the next Darksiders, in that, it's a total ripoff, but at least it's a fun and well made ripoff.

That covers how I feel about it. But unlike Darksiders, I think a lot more people are actually interested in the IP/setting of the game. If there was one weak point in Darksiders it was the source material it was drawing upon.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

It looks like AC.

I hate AC so i hate this game as well.

Be Nice! :P

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

@CARNAGES41 said:

Jesus, man. What's wrong with you? They're fucking games.

@ShepardCommandr said:

It looks like AC.

I hate AC so i hate this game as well.

Be Nice! :P

gMcR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 gMcR
Member since 2004 • 216 Posts

@GiantAssPanda said:

The combat and animations need a lot more work but otherwise looks decent.

I agree. I doubt it will improve much though.