720/PS4 will be powerful consoles.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

They have to be.

Otherwise MS/Sony will lose out to PC because PC's would easily match the consoles for a similar price if they're too weak (unlike early beginning of this generation), and casuals would choose PC gaming instead of console because they can pirate the games.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

Well someone has to step up.

SteverXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SteverXIII
Member since 2010 • 3795 Posts
Ok
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
I don't think there are going to be that many developers that are willing to pay the cost of really pushing PC hardware without the safety umbrella of getting sales on multiple platforms. Weak consoles will just lead to a ton of multiplat games on the PC that, while superior to the console version, don't really push PC hardware. It will be like this gen all over again.
peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 peterw007
Member since 2005 • 3653 Posts

Releasing powerful consoles in this market would be financial suicide.

Just look at how well the Vita is doing for proof.

Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts

You're going to be very disappointed.

With the way that Microsoft is going Kinect crazy & given Sony's current financial status, don't expect Durango & PS4 to be incredibly tons more powerful this time around. They're going to more or less, either match or just slightly beat the Wii U in power & graphics.

Next generation is all going to come down to exclusives & features.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Since when does the average gamer care about power?

Most gamers just want to grab the console with the games they want to play. The people who buy consoles don't contemplate between buying a console or a PC. To them a PC is not gaming platform, it's to complicated.

Your regular gamers won't bother with the PC regardless of how powerful the PS4 and Next Xbox will be. Most gamers would just stick to what they already have if they had a choice.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Most console gamers don't even view PC Gaming as a viable option for gaming. But I agree, if console do not have a signficant leap in power, building a really good PC that can play all consoles multiplats would be incredibly cheap

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

If consoles are weak they will be cheap. Windows alone costs 120$ for OEM. No way a gaming pc could be cheaper then a console.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts
I at least hope one steps up to appeal to the core, this gen the Wii sold about 90 million the PS3 and 360 sold about 120 million combined, so there is a big market for a console that is mostly about improved power. The difference between Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo is that Nintendo have several 10 million+ selling franchises that can sell the console by itself, Sony and Microsoft don't have that luxury so rely more on third party support, if one steps up and the other doesn't the weaker system could be left in the dust by third parties.
Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shinobi120

I at least hope one steps up to appeal to the core, this gen the Wii sold about 90 million the PS3 and 360 sold about 120 million combined, so there is a big market for a console that is mostly about improved power.

The difference between Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo is that Nintendo have several 10 million+ selling franchises that can sell the console by itself, Sony and Microsoft don't have that luxury so rely more on third party support, if one steps up and the other doesn't the weaker system could be left in the dust by third parties. APiranhaAteMyVa

I don't think any of the three are going to be left out in the next generation. And having 3rd party support won't be determined by "power."

Sik_kid_pk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sik_kid_pk
Member since 2010 • 549 Posts
They don't have to be powerful, which is why they most likely won't. I am pretty sure they learned from this gen that you don't need a powerhouse of a console to win the battle. I'm pretty sure the WiiU will be slightly more powerful than the 360/PS3 and the PS4/720 a little more powerful than that.
Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

[QUOTE="APiranhaAteMyVa"]I at least hope one steps up to appeal to the core, this gen the Wii sold about 90 million the PS3 and 360 sold about 120 million combined, so there is a big market for a console that is mostly about improved power.

The difference between Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo is that Nintendo have several 10 million+ selling franchises that can sell the console by itself, Sony and Microsoft don't have that luxury so rely more on third party support, if one steps up and the other doesn't the weaker system could be left in the dust by third parties. Shinobi120

I don't think any of the three are going to be left out in the next generation. And having 3rd party support won't be determined by "power."

It certainly helps, unless they are extremely close then it won't matter, if two consoles pull a Wii with specs similar to current gen and the PS4 or 720 uses next gen tech then it would certainly attract more devs to cross platform with PC.

Not only that but what market will Microsoft and Sony target? if they just re-release the 360 or PS3 in a new case what is going to sell it? Sony especially don't really have a gimmick right now, Microsoft has Kinect but how much longer will people be engrossed by it on a casual level, it is selling 360's but it certainly isn't guaranteed to be selling millions for the next 10 years or so.

shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 shadow_hosi
Member since 2006 • 9543 Posts
You may be on to something here TC I always assumed they would take a step back and make weaker consoles for next gen. Sort of a nostalgia trip. But your idea seems more likely now that I think about it.
Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shinobi120

[QUOTE="Shinobi120"]

[QUOTE="APiranhaAteMyVa"]I at least hope one steps up to appeal to the core, this gen the Wii sold about 90 million the PS3 and 360 sold about 120 million combined, so there is a big market for a console that is mostly about improved power.

The difference between Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo is that Nintendo have several 10 million+ selling franchises that can sell the console by itself, Sony and Microsoft don't have that luxury so rely more on third party support, if one steps up and the other doesn't the weaker system could be left in the dust by third parties. APiranhaAteMyVa

It certainly helps, unless they are extremely close then it won't matter, if two consoles pull a Wii with specs similar to current gen and the PS4 or 720 uses next gen tech then it would certainly attract more devs to cross platform with PC.

What I'm saying is, there won't be another Wii Vs. HD Twins situation next generation. Just because that Nintendo made the Wii weaker once & that both Microsoft & Sony made tthe 360 & PS3 stronger once doesn't mean the same thing will happen again.

What will determine more 3rd party support is larger install base, & not graphics & power. Look at 3DS & Vita. We have more 3rd party developers developing more games for 3DS than we do for Vita, even though 3DS is "weaker" than Vita. Why? Larger install base.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Most people don;t care about power.The other consoles will be slightly stronger then the WiiU or strong enough so that the power difference between the consoles are not as big as this gen.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#17 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

I'm mostly a PC gamer, but I do have the consoles also...

the consoles right now are garbage, the games are bad looking. Im playing Red Dead Redemption right now, and the game is really ugly to look at. Its in bad need of some Antialiasing...

Which is the main thing I want in the new consoles, powerful enough graphics hardware to smooth out the hellish jaggies.. much better Antialiasing. So many 360 games would look so much nicer with it.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SaltyMeatballs

Since when does the average gamer care about power?Wasdie
Since always.

It's not about whether they care about power, its about the run of the mill PC not being able to run games. If you buy a PC now it can probably run games on par or better. I fear next gen that will happen a lot faster if MS/Sony under power their consoles, plus if the power is so low there is a fear of diminishing returns.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts
I expect nothing lower than 6x current gen for everything except wiiu.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#20 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

They need to be affordable as well.

peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 peterw007
Member since 2005 • 3653 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]Since when does the average gamer care about power?SaltyMeatballs

Since always.

It's not about whether they care about power, its about the run of the mill PC not being able to run games. If you buy a PC now it can probably run games on par or better. I fear next gen that will happen a lot faster if MS/Sony under power their consoles, plus if the power is so low there is a fear of diminishing returns.

If that is true, then why doesn't "the average gamer" use a PC to game?

Avatar image for Arbiterisl33t69
Arbiterisl33t69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 Arbiterisl33t69
Member since 2009 • 2542 Posts
I expect nothing lower than 6x current gen for everything except wiiu.killzowned24
Prepare to be disappointed
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
The reaon i think they have to be powerful is because of Apple. If they're weak sh*t that aren't impressing anyone, Apple will crush them.
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11699 Posts
You console gamers are silly. Developers can easily optimize their games on static hardware and unlock the hidden potential of those magical consoles. Add some Sony dust and wala, your cheap "under powered" console is now as good as a PC that is 10x better. Right?
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

The world will end in December.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SaltyMeatballs

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]Since when does the average gamer care about power?peterw007

Since always.

Gamers care about graphics. All you hear about before a new console launch is the graphics.

I still remember everyone at school talking about PS2 graphics, me and my friend watching a video of some Nintendo conference and it was all about graphics. Before this gen (specifically about the successor to the PS2) all I heard was graphics this and graphics that, online in forums and in school.

It has never been any other way as far as I'm concerned.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SaltyMeatballs
[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]You console gamers are silly. Developers can easily optimize their games on static hardware and unlock the hidden potential of those magical consoles. Add some Sony dust and wala, your cheap "under powered" console is now as good as a PC that is 10x better. Right?

I am a PC gamer you manticore, I agree optimisation can go a long way despite your sarcasm, however there is a limit.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17888 Posts

[QUOTE="APiranhaAteMyVa"][QUOTE="Shinobi120"]

Shinobi120

What I'm saying is, there won't be another Wii Vs. HD Twins situation next generation. Just because that Nintendo made the Wii weaker once & that both Microsoft & Sony made tthe 360 & PS3 stronger once doesn't mean the same thing will happen again.

What will determine more 3rd party support is larger install base, & not graphics & power. Look at 3DS & Vita. We have more 3rd party developers developing more games for 3DS than we do for Vita, even though 3DS is "weaker" than Vita. Why? Larger install base.

its a bit muckier than that. there are a few factors that will determin 3rd party support. 1) easy to develop a mauliplat for the platform. this killed the wii and 3rd parties. it wasnt just a case of power but also of hardware features. 360, ps3 and PC games share about 80% of the same code. very little of that code can be used on the wii. none of the assets multiplats use can be used on the wii. essentially devs would need to make a completly seperate wii version. so any console that is very far off the competition in terms of hardware features and power will face 3rd party oblivion. in saying that if current rumours about the consoles hold up then the wiiu will be powerful enough for multiplats. 2) will 3rd party games sell on the platform? on the wii it was a mess. both 3rd parties and the wii public are to blame for that though. most 3rd party efforts on the wii are either so niche they just wouldnt sell well anyway (see the ports of the likes of no more heros) or they were just awful and didnt diserve to sell. but the gems that did come also didnt sell and thats the wiis userbase fault. even if the wiiu is in the same ball park in terms of power and features and is very dev friendly and it sells the most if 3rd party games dont sell on the wiiu and 3rd parties will stop supporting it and its back to a GC type situation. the PC is. sadly, a non runner in this discussion. whatever happens with the 720 and PS4, neither the userbase nor developers will will just shift over to the PC. whatever power gap there will be is a non issue. we may see more developers use the PC as the lead platform simply because its easier to dev high and cut than to dev low and raise....but all games will still be developed with a very firm knowledge of what the next gen consoles can and can not do. ultimately what decides 3rd party support is where most 3rd party games sell. that is the PS3 and 360 for most games at the mo so 3rd parties will be looking to the successors of those platforms as their main money makers.
Avatar image for Arbiterisl33t69
Arbiterisl33t69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 Arbiterisl33t69
Member since 2009 • 2542 Posts

The world will end in December.

Bigboi500
I know this is most likely sarcasm, but anyone who actually believes this should be labeled special needs.
killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts
[QUOTE="killzowned24"]I expect nothing lower than 6x current gen for everything except wiiu.Arbiterisl33t69
Prepare to be disappointed

but the hermits always say they can build much better,surely sony getting much better deals can too :P
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Mid-range locked gaming PCs at best.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

nameless12345
That would be powerful considering a mid range pc would be a core i5 quad core which destroys the current gen consoles cpus and a 560 gpu. Thats mid to high range now but not when the new consoles release
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Cranler

That would be powerful considering a mid range pc would be a core i5 quad core which destroys the current gen consoles cpus and a 560 gpu. Thats mid to high range now but not when the new consoles release

Hence I said "at best". They'll probably put something even less costly in there. The APU + lower-end GPU rumours are likely.

RickTophen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 RickTophen
Member since 2011 • 487 Posts
Really? Will a kid know how to work a PC?
WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

You know, saying they're not is pretty f*cking stupid. It's just common sense that they'll be powerful consoles.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

[QUOTE="peterw007"]

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"] Since always.

SaltyMeatballs

Gamers care about graphics. All you hear about before a new console launch is the graphics.

I still remember everyone at school talking about PS2 graphics, me and my friend watching a video of some Nintendo conference and it was all about graphics. Before this gen (specifically about the successor to the PS2) all I heard was graphics this and graphics that, online in forums and in school.

Then why are you complaining about the consoles having weak hardware. a AMD 6670/7670 with 1gb of video memory will produce much better looking graphics then current consoles do. You have 3-4x the performance, 4x the video memory and 3x the memory bandwidth allowing true HD resolutions with much better graphical detail along with direct x 11 features. Consoler's have no idea what they want nor understand the bottom line.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SaltyMeatballs
[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]

[QUOTE="peterw007"]

04dcarraher

Then why are you complaining about the consoles having weak hardware. a AMD 6670/7670 with 1gb of video memory will produce much better looking graphics then current consoles do. You have 3-4x the performance, 4x the video memory and 3x the memory bandwidth allowing true HD resolutions with much better graphical detail along with direct x 11 features. Consoler's have no idea what they want nor understand the bottom line.

Diminishing returns. Look at the Witcher 2, sure the PC version looks better, but the graphics are close enough and no one would say the PC version looks 4x better.
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11821 Posts

Nintendo Wii says hi

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"] Gamers care about graphics. All you hear about before a new console launch is the graphics.

SaltyMeatballs

Diminishing returns. Look at the Witcher 2, sure the PC version looks better, but the graphics are close enough and no one would say the PC version looks 4x better.

You understand that the Witcher 2 is also still based on Direct x 9 and it meant to scale from 5 year old hardware to today's. Texture detail between Pc version of TW2, vs consoles is nearly 4x the detail with the resolution also.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11821 Posts

Really? Will a kid know how to work a PC?RickTophen

If that kid can use the internet browser then he can definately know how to do basic things such as install the game, update drivers once in a while or when told, and have comftorble graphic settings. I found all this stuff easy for me as kid, it was pretty much plug and play like a console.

Nohtnym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Nohtnym
Member since 2010 • 1552 Posts

Id rather take powerful console than wii.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Not likely considering Sony's situation at the moment.

dawgrejectx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43 dawgrejectx
Member since 2010 • 458 Posts

They have to be.

Otherwise MS/Sony will lose out to PC because PC's would easily match the consoles for a similar price if they're too weak (unlike early beginning of this generation), and casuals would choose PC gaming instead of console because they can pirate the games.

SaltyMeatballs
not really the Wii Showed it's not about performance it's about sales, PC will always be a gaming platform but look at companys like Blizzard there not pushing PC graphics there games look good and have fantastic art but videogames will cost alot to make look any better so companys dont want new hardware and high expectations from gamers.
spiderluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 spiderluck
Member since 2012 • 2405 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]Since when does the average gamer care about power?SaltyMeatballs

Since always.

i really think ms is going to deliver...their corporate modus operandi has always been to force the other guy to bleed so heavy that they end up quitting....plus if they can convert die hard pc fans with enough horsepower they can possibly hold enough cards to in effect begin to control development decisions in their favor
HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#45 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

Well it's pretty much a given. Gaming is suppost to have powerful graphics compared to the pervious generation and well if they don't might as well stick to this current gen consoles.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 04dcarraher

Well it's pretty much a given. Gaming is suppost to have powerful graphics compared to the pervious generation and well if they don't might as well stick to this current gen consoles.

HaloPimp978
lol, its not like a $75 pc gpu is 3-4x faster with 4x the video memory and is at least two generations ahead then current consoles.
vtoshkatur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 vtoshkatur
Member since 2011 • 1962 Posts

If the GPU rumors are true then Next Gen is gonna be very disapointing...

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts
[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]

They have to be.

There wouldn't be another unified shader shift.
SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SPBoss
Member since 2009 • 3746 Posts
Im sure next gen consoles will have to play all games @1080p.. otherwise it would just be a big joke. (Apart from nintendo they are probably aiming for 720p :P lol)
AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

They have to be or apple will release a tablet within 2 years with a wireless controller and make them obsolete.