720p on 4k TV ???

  • 68 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nishanth12 (528 posts) -

How is this next gen? Srly embarrassing. 1080p on ps4 is also a little concerning but 720p is an abomination. I bought a Sony 4k TV recently and I can clearly see the jagged edges when playing dead Rising 3. It's very much noticeable (upscaling doesn't help) and depresses me to think that i won't get quality graphics till next next gen.

Does anyone here have a 4k TV aswell? What do you think?

And plz don't tell me to game on PC cus it doesn't have the games that I need.

#2 Posted by PinkieWinkie (1454 posts) -

Get a ps4. Dr3 looks like a last gen game.

#4 Posted by I_can_haz (6511 posts) -

@PinkieWinkie said:

Get a ps4. Dr3 looks like a last gen game.

#5 Posted by nishanth12 (528 posts) -

@SEANMCAD: I don't really know what your point is but I think Oculus Rift is awesome. Also what the hell do you mean by buying a 4k TV and be all bro about it?

#6 Posted by nishanth12 (528 posts) -

@PinkieWinkie said:

Get a ps4. Dr3 looks like a last gen game.

Dud I have a ps4 and I like it. My concern is regarding the resolution gate the consoles have that completely destroys the purpose of a 4k TV. My question is for what people who own a 4k TV feel about this generation.

#7 Posted by HiraiKazuo (283 posts) -

The Xbox One is way to weak. It barely manages 720p already.

#8 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7968 posts) -

I imagine most things at a resolution lower than 1080p are going to look especially poor on a 4K TV. Stretching an image typically doesn't yield good results.

#9 Edited by stereointegrity (10809 posts) -

4k is still another 5 years out as being the standard

#10 Posted by Meinhard1 (6786 posts) -

Without touching on the power of the console itself, Dead Rising 3 simply isn't a graphically impressive game and I believe that is the biggest factor influencing your experience.

#11 Edited by hellrazr09 (18 posts) -

TC , PS4 and Xbox one would need atleast 2 x Titans for native 4k(3840x2160).

4k gaming next gen if consoles remain relevant.

also

#12 Edited by Willy105 (24585 posts) -

4k console games won't appear until next-gen, you bought a 4k a generation too early.

#14 Posted by silversix_ (15756 posts) -

2 days ago was my first time seeing 4k stuff at a bestbuy and holy f*ck what a huge difference between 4k and 1080p... You will NOT see 4k on next gen consoles im pretty certain about that. be happy if Xbox 3 can finally handle every game in over 720p 10 years from now

#15 Posted by nishanth12 (528 posts) -

@stereointegrity said:

4k is still another 5 years out as being the standard

No, that's really not the case. Do you know that vizio is releasing $990 50" 4k Ultra HD TVs this year. I mean come on...I'm sure u'll get a 4k TV for $300 by 2016/17

#16 Edited by cfisher2833 (2150 posts) -

@nishanth12 said:

How is this next gen? Srly embarrassing. 1080p on ps4 is also a little concerning but 720p is an abomination. I bought a Sony 4k TV recently and I can clearly see the jagged edges when playing dead Rising 3. It's very much noticeable (upscaling doesn't help) and depresses me to think that i won't get quality graphics till next next gen.

Does anyone here have a 4k TV aswell? What do you think?

And plz don't tell me to game on PC cus it doesn't have the games that I need.

....did you really think 720p/1080p blown up was gonna look all that good in the first place? And if you want to play games at native 4K, a PC is your only fucking option guy. The only games it doesn't have are console exclusives, and if those are the only games you ever play, then wow. If you can afford a 4K tv, you can sure as hell afford a PC capable of outputting games at 4K.

btw, consoles may--and I stress may--eventually be able to play games at 4K, but that won't be for quite a long time. Not only do consoles have to keep within a certain price point, but they also have to consume around 250w or less. GPU tech might progress rapidly, but it's gonna take a fucking long time for the kind of GPUs usable in consoles to reach that level.

#17 Edited by GoldenElementXL (3766 posts) -

What size is the TV TC? I thought about purchasing a 4K tv a few times but decided against it. What is the point right now? 99% of tv is broadcast in 720p. Blu Ray is 1080p. The new consoles are everywhere between 720p-1080p. My PC does pretty well at 1440p but I would need to spend a few thousand on upgrades to be able to max games out at the resolution.

#18 Edited by nishanth12 (528 posts) -

@cfisher2833 said:

@nishanth12 said:

How is this next gen? Srly embarrassing. 1080p on ps4 is also a little concerning but 720p is an abomination. I bought a Sony 4k TV recently and I can clearly see the jagged edges when playing dead Rising 3. It's very much noticeable (upscaling doesn't help) and depresses me to think that i won't get quality graphics till next next gen.

Does anyone here have a 4k TV aswell? What do you think?

And plz don't tell me to game on PC cus it doesn't have the games that I need.

....did you really think 720p/1080p blown up was gonna look all that good in the first place? And if you want to play games at native 4K, a PC is your only fucking option guy. The only games it doesn't have are console exclusives, and if those are the only games you ever play, then wow. If you can afford a 4K tv, you can sure as hell afford a PC capable of outputting games at 4K.

See that's the point, I can afford a rig that plays 1080p at 60fps. But 4k, that's a totally different beast I mean we need like 2 780's on SLI to cut it.I'd rather wait for Nvidia's Maxwell lineup to come out.

But anyways, the question here is for what people who bout 4k TVs think about the current console generation.

#19 Edited by nishanth12 (528 posts) -

@GoldenElementXL said:

What size is the TV TC? I thought about purchasing a 4K tv a few times but decided against it. What is the point right now? 99% of tv is broadcast in 720p. Blu Ray is 1080p. The new consoles are everywhere between 720p-1080p. My PC does pretty well at 1440p but I would need to spend a few thousand on upgrades to be able to max games out at the resolution.

It's 55" inches. Don't get me wrong I feel like it's completely worth it. I mean regular 1080p content looks pretty darn sharp, the new bravia engine does a really good job, but once you put in 4k content, it's simply uncomparable to any other out there.

Believe me, prices for 4k TVs are already going down, 4k content will aswell. If I were you I'd get a 4 TV instead of 1080p(It'll get outdated soon)

#20 Posted by Kinthalis (5340 posts) -

Lol. You bought a 4K TV without ANY decent content available for one yet.

Not only that, but you then purchased a crappy console to drive that panel?

GET a PC. It's the only thing that'll do 4K. You'll need 2x Geoforce 780 Ti's to pull off at 60 FPS at that rez though. Or wait for next gen GPU's in a year.

Also, the only games NOT on PC are crap, cookie cutter, derivative, on rails, AAA console tripe. Play some REAL games.

#21 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3766 posts) -

@nishanth12 said:

@GoldenElementXL said:

What size is the TV TC? I thought about purchasing a 4K tv a few times but decided against it. What is the point right now? 99% of tv is broadcast in 720p. Blu Ray is 1080p. The new consoles are everywhere between 720p-1080p. My PC does pretty well at 1440p but I would need to spend a few thousand on upgrades to be able to max games out at the resolution.

It's 55" inches. Don't get me wrong I feel like it's completely worth it. I mean regular 1080p content looks pretty darn sharp, the new bravia engine does a really good job, but once you put in 4k content, it's simply uncomparable to any other out there.

Believe me, prices for 4k TVs are already going down, 4k content will aswell. If I were you I'd get a 4 TV instead of 1080p(It'll get outdated soon)

My #1 rule for a 4K tv when I get one is that it will have to be over 80 inches. I currently own a 70" Sharp (basement) a 65" Samsung (living room) and a 55" (bedroom) and 46" (don't know where to put it right now) Sony. At the distances I sit from those TV's the resolution is fine. Above 70 inches 1080p starts to look pretty rough.

#22 Edited by topgunmv (10328 posts) -

I used to be a harsh critic of gaming below the native resolution of a screen, but I've played some 3d android games on my kindle fire hdx 8.9" (right now supposedly the best screen you can get on a tablet) that run below the native resolution, and except for the jagged edges, it looked totally fine, no upscale blurring.

I'm assuming expensive 4k tvs have good scaling hardware as well.

#23 Edited by GTSaiyanjin2 (6017 posts) -

You bought a 4K TV to play your game consoles? you have more issues than worrying about a console's resolution. If you want 4K gaming you need to buy a proper 4K monitor that supports 60HZ and a powerful PC to go with it.

#24 Edited by NFJSupreme (5399 posts) -

TC shows the ignorance of consolites. Thinking your TV actually matters. Spending all that money for nothing. Could have took that money and spent it on a beast rig, a ps4 and xbone and have the best of all worlds. But it's all about that plasma right?

#25 Edited by Riverwolf007 (24166 posts) -

congratulations captain kirk why don't you beam back up to the enterprise and watch something on it instead of griping about useless shyt on the internet?

#26 Edited by kitty (114973 posts) -

Not sure why you would purchase a 4k tv and then complain about 720p. There are still quite a bit of channels that don't do full HD. If you plan on gaming and want 4k or something that looks better than 1080p. Best build yourself a nice pc, you'll really see the difference then.
If I fussed as much as you guys did, I would have been fussing about the ps3 all last gen because on my monitor most games are jagged mess, no lie. Play uncharted 2 on that 4k tv, you'll really see what I'm talking about.

#27 Edited by nishanth12 (528 posts) -

@NFJSupreme said:

TC shows the ignorance of consolites. Thinking your TV actually matters. Spending all that money for nothing. Could have took that money and spent it on a beast rig, a ps4 and xbone and have the best of all worlds. But it's all about that plasma right?

@Riverwolf007 said:

congratulations captain kirk why don't you beam back up to the enterprise and watch something on it instead of griping about useless shyt on the internet?

Did you 2 fools ever see a ps4 running on 4k TV? I guess not. Sony's new bravia engine is a beast in scaling 1080p to 4k. I have no issues with it. ps4 games look phenomenal. But I have severe issues with xbox one's subpar resolutions. Also why are you two idiots commenting without ever using a 4k TV? Believe me or not, people ARE buying 4k TVs at a ridiculous pace. 4k is not the future, it's happening now. You two clowns clearly are not a part of it.

#28 Edited by no-scope-AK47 (3050 posts) -

I was thinking about getting a 4k tv but there is not enough content yet.

#29 Posted by gameofthering (10447 posts) -

I'd only get a 4K TV if I managed to get a PC that could run everything at it's native resolution.

#30 Posted by nishanth12 (528 posts) -

@no-scope-AK47 said:

I was thinking about getting a 4k tv but there is not enough content yet.

@2ndwonder said:

Not sure why you would purchase a 4k tv and then complain about 720p. There are still quite a bit of channels that don't do full HD. If you plan on gaming and want 4k or something that looks better than 1080p. Best build yourself a nice pc, you'll really see the difference then.

If I fussed as much as you guys did, I would have been fussing about the ps3 all last gen because on my monitor most games are jagged mess, no lie. Play uncharted 2 on that 4k tv, you'll really see what I'm talking about.

I don't think you guys get the point. You don't need 4k content to look better, 1080p looks perfect on 4k TVs(well, sony's atleast). No issues there. Also why are you avoiding 4k TV altogether? Wait one more year, you can afford 4k content. Netflix already started streaming 4k content for the same regular price, So does HBO go.

#31 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14282 posts) -

Build a hefty HTPC for 4k gaming.

#32 Posted by kitty (114973 posts) -

@nishanth12 said:

I don't think you guys get the point. You don't need 4k content to look better, 1080p looks perfect on 4k TVs(well, sony's atleast). No issues there. Also why are you avoiding 4k TV altogether? Wait one more year, you can afford 4k content. Netflix already started streaming 4k content for the same regular price, So does HBO go.

I've yet to see a 4k tv in person. I'd imagine that it does look better. But it won't look any better than what both of my monitors display. 1080p content that is. I do want to know what blu ray looks like on one though. I've got the entire dbz series on dvd/blu ray, would probably look amazing on a 4k tv, as blu ray quality is awesome. If the prices on the 4k monitors come down, I'll get one.

I'm just saying that gaming shouldn't even be a complaint on one. :P If you seriously want to complain, try playing a ps1 or n64 game on one of those. Might need some new eyes then.

#33 Edited by NFJSupreme (5399 posts) -

@nishanth12: your ps4 games would look just as good on a 120mghz 1080p TV. If you bought that TV to make your games look better you wasted your money. Native resolution is where it's at.

#34 Posted by nishanth12 (528 posts) -

@2ndwonder said:

@nishanth12 said:

I don't think you guys get the point. You don't need 4k content to look better, 1080p looks perfect on 4k TVs(well, sony's atleast). No issues there. Also why are you avoiding 4k TV altogether? Wait one more year, you can afford 4k content. Netflix already started streaming 4k content for the same regular price, So does HBO go.

I've yet to see a 4k tv in person. I'd imagine that it does look better. But it won't look any better than what both of my monitors display. 1080p content that is. I do want to know what blu ray looks like on one though. I've got the entire dbz series on dvd/blu ray, would probably look amazing on a 4k tv, as blu ray quality is awesome. If the prices on the 4k monitors come down, I'll get one.

I'm just saying that gaming shouldn't even be a complaint on one. :P If you seriously want to complain, try playing a ps1 or n64 game on one of those. Might need some new eyes then.

Lol, I wouldn't even dare to do that.

#35 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (3050 posts) -

I have thought about getting a 4k tv but frankly the price and quality it not there yet. Also the content is lacking and as you said playing 720p content looks bad. I will most likely make the jump in 2015 but I worry about bandwidth caps on most of the ISP's.

#36 Posted by kitty (114973 posts) -

@nishanth12 said:

@2ndwonder said:

@nishanth12 said:

I don't think you guys get the point. You don't need 4k content to look better, 1080p looks perfect on 4k TVs(well, sony's atleast). No issues there. Also why are you avoiding 4k TV altogether? Wait one more year, you can afford 4k content. Netflix already started streaming 4k content for the same regular price, So does HBO go.

I've yet to see a 4k tv in person. I'd imagine that it does look better. But it won't look any better than what both of my monitors display. 1080p content that is. I do want to know what blu ray looks like on one though. I've got the entire dbz series on dvd/blu ray, would probably look amazing on a 4k tv, as blu ray quality is awesome. If the prices on the 4k monitors come down, I'll get one.

I'm just saying that gaming shouldn't even be a complaint on one. :P If you seriously want to complain, try playing a ps1 or n64 game on one of those. Might need some new eyes then.

Lol, I wouldn't even dare to do that.

Superman n64 in 4k res, that would be awesome. lol kidding

My eyes would probably literally catch fire.:P

#37 Posted by foxhound_fox (90491 posts) -

720p is an abomination?

A year ago, that's the bar developers were praying for on the 360/PS3, and they could barely achieve it.

Consolites sure are fickle.

#38 Posted by stereointegrity (10809 posts) -

@nishanth12 said:

@stereointegrity said:

4k is still another 5 years out as being the standard

No, that's really not the case. Do you know that vizio is releasing $990 50" 4k Ultra HD TVs this year. I mean come on...I'm sure u'll get a 4k TV for $300 by 2016/17

the one i want know is 3k from samsung...

i wouldnt touch a vizio made out of boobs let alone a regular one....vizio is crap

#39 Posted by ryangcnx-2 (1300 posts) -

Buddy... Last gen I got a 1080p panasonic plasma in 2007. The only 1080p content I got was blu-Ray until finally now with the ps4 and my PC. It's completely unrealistic to expect consoles to do 4k right now. PC needs 2 x gtx 780 ti, titans to run 4k. That's over 1600 bucks in gpus. No way a console priced at 500 and below be able to do that. Your gonna have to accept the fact gaming at 4k right now isn't gonna happen unless you blow a huge wad of cash on multiple gpus for PC. There's really no 4k content at all really. Right now is a bad time to buy 4k, at least with the push of 1080p, blu ray existed.

#40 Edited by the_bi99man (11054 posts) -

@nishanth12 said:

How is this next gen? Srly embarrassing. 1080p on ps4 is also a little concerning but 720p is an abomination. I bought a Sony 4k TV recently and I can clearly see the jagged edges when playing dead Rising 3. It's very much noticeable (upscaling doesn't help) and depresses me to think that i won't get quality graphics till next next gen.

Does anyone here have a 4k TV aswell? What do you think?

And plz don't tell me to game on PC cus it doesn't have the games that I need.

I am going to tell you to game on PC. You own a 4K TV, you can easily afford an absolute beast PC that will run every game ever made at max settings without breaking a sweat. Get a PC, then play all multiplats on it, or you're an idiot. As for the "games that I need" (guessing you mean that tiny handful of worthwhile console exclusives), you're just going to have to deal with the shitty graphics. What the hell did you expect from a box that cost 1/10 of what your TV did?

#41 Edited by the_bi99man (11054 posts) -

@2ndwonder said:

I do want to know what blu ray looks like on one though. I've got the entire dbz series on dvd/blu ray, would probably look amazing on a 4k tv, as blu ray quality is awesome.

It wouldn't look any better than it does on the 1080p TV you probably already have. Blu rays are just 1080p. Unless you got a 4K TV that was also a higher end brand than your current TV, but then it wouldn't be the resolution making things look better, it would be the colors and contrast, which would also be improved just by getting a better 1080p set (assuming the one you have isn't top of the line).

@NFJSupreme said:

@nishanth12: your ps4 games would look just as good on a 120mghz 1080p TV. If you bought that TV to make your games look better you wasted your money. Native resolution is where it's at.

And this. So much this.

#42 Edited by Riverwolf007 (24166 posts) -

@nishanth12 said:

@NFJSupreme said:

TC shows the ignorance of consolites. Thinking your TV actually matters. Spending all that money for nothing. Could have took that money and spent it on a beast rig, a ps4 and xbone and have the best of all worlds. But it's all about that plasma right?

@Riverwolf007 said:

congratulations captain kirk why don't you beam back up to the enterprise and watch something on it instead of griping about useless shyt on the internet?

Did you 2 fools ever see a ps4 running on 4k TV? I guess not. Sony's new bravia engine is a beast in scaling 1080p to 4k. I have no issues with it. ps4 games look phenomenal. But I have severe issues with xbox one's subpar resolutions. Also why are you two idiots commenting without ever using a 4k TV? Believe me or not, people ARE buying 4k TVs at a ridiculous pace. 4k is not the future, it's happening now. You two clowns clearly are not a part of it.

i may be a fool but i'm not a fool that pissed away money on a 55 inch 4k that has next to no media or software available for it and is too small to tell what the resolution is at unless i'm sitting 12 inches away from the screen.

lulz. 55 inch 4k tv, what's the point of that?

here is the instruction guide on how to enjoy your new 55 inch 4k tv.

#43 Posted by millerlight89 (18641 posts) -

Id hate to think how bad that tv is.

#44 Posted by Gue1 (11138 posts) -

The more upscaling the TV has to do the worse it'll look. So by buying a 720p TV to play 720p it greatly improves the image quality.

#45 Posted by Nengo_Flow (10353 posts) -

You made a mistake in buying a 4k tv, there isnt any content that supports 4k at the moment.

Maybe 5 years from now we'll start seeing some 4k media content

#46 Edited by Motokid6 (6196 posts) -

@Riverwolf007: Then your blind as f***. U can tell resolution difference from 5, 10, 20ft away it doesnt matter. The distance/size excuse is just that.. an excuse.

#47 Posted by MlauTheDaft (4344 posts) -

@PinkieWinkie said:

Get a ps4. Dr3 looks like a last gen game.

It really does.

#48 Posted by Snugenz (12731 posts) -

What's your next thread gonna be about, playing a 480p game on a 1080p TV?

#49 Posted by EndlessInfinity (231 posts) -

Current Console can't achieve 4k

#50 Posted by glez13 (9004 posts) -

@Motokid6 said:

@Riverwolf007: Then your blind as f***. U can tell resolution difference from 5, 10, 20ft away it doesnt matter. The distance/size excuse is just that.. an excuse.

Nope. Distance/Size for detail is valid knowledge. What you said is just ridiculous because it implies that humans have unlimited visual acuity, which is false. For a 55" 4K TV you would need to sit at around 2.5' for the full benefit, and from there to around 6' would give you at least something better than 1080p.