6th gen console wars memories

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

Curious to know where everyone stood during the 6th generation life cycle. Were you a Gamecube fanboy, or did you try to play as many top quality games as possible no matter the platform?

I'm asking because I never noticed this "console war" and "fanboy" epidemic until the 7th generation of consoles. Before that, even when ps2 was slaughtering the competition, I had all three consoles, some handhelds and a PC. I was never concerned with which is better, which graphics were crispier, or sales data, it was normally "Oh, I have Halo on Xbox, God of War on PS2, and melee on GC" I never favored one console over the other, I just played the games I wanted to at the time, and favored no brand, and during the ps1 or snes era I noticed it even less. I purchased all the platforms because I felt like they were a "set" and I needed to complete the puzzle!

Now, I know everyone was bickering about each platform back then, but I do not remember it at all, nor did I participate in it, so If you post, you can respond to any of these questions if you'd like. Or say whatever you want!

-How bad was it? (I'm assuming horrible since ps2 sold so well compared to the competition).

-Did you favor any sides? If so, why?

-How do you compare brand loyalty and fanboyism back then, and now?

-if you love your brand, have you stuck with it through years, or have you "switched sides"?

-If you owned one, or two platforms, what stopped you from getting the rest?

-if you bought only one platform, did the brand, or library of games sway your vote?

-Lastly, Do you have any funny stories of arguing with friends or on forums? any fond memories and experiences with one or all platforms?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

I owned all 3 consoles at some stage, but my favourite was Xbox (followed closely by Gamecube). I had such a blast playing Halo, KOTOR, Jet Set Radio Future, Project Gotham etc... great times. My mates used to make fun of me for owning Xbox over PS2, but they all ended up buying one!

As for there being fanboyism back then, I think it's safe to say there was. I doubt it was as bad as it is today, but it was definitely there... However I didn't spend much time on game forums back then so maybe it was as bad as today?

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Largely avoided the GC, save for a handful of its exclusives (LoZ:WW, RE4, Melee)

Primarily played on PS2, albeit towards the end I was playing more Xbox (Halo and Halo 2, Burnout, Morrowind, etc.)

Questions
-How bad was it? (I'm assuming horrible since ps2 sold so well compared to the competition).

-if you love your brand, have you stuck with it through years, or have you "switched sides"?

-if you bought only one platform, did the brand, or library of games sway your vote?

-Lastly, Do you have any funny stories of arguing with friends or on forums? any fond memories and experiences with one or all platforms?

Answers
- Fanboyism was equally rampant then as it is now. PS2 had the largest following due to its library, but Lemmings knew that the MS had big plans on the horizon. Nobody knew what the hell was going to happen with Nintendo.

- I only disfavored GC because (A) I greatly disliked its controller and (B) it was only good for 1st party games, largely.

- It's the same

- I own all consoles and PC, plus Vita. Have very little desire to own a 3DS

- Cost, more than anything. But also disliked the GC for its controller and lack of blockbuster games beyond its 1st party

- NA

- Go check my post history. I joined SW sometime before the 7th gen began

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

@polishkid99 said:

Curious to know where everyone stood during the 6th generation life cycle. Were you a Gamecube fanboy, or did you try to play as many top quality games as possible no matter the platform?

I'm asking because I never noticed this "console war" and "fanboy" epidemic until the 7th generation of consoles. Before that, even when ps2 was slaughtering the competition, I had all three consoles, some handhelds and a PC. I was never concerned with which is better, which graphics were crispier, or sales data, it was normally "Oh, I have Halo on Xbox, God of War on PS2, and melee on GC" I never favored one console over the other, I just played the games I wanted to at the time, and favored no brand, and during the ps1 or snes era I noticed it even less. I purchased all the platforms because I felt like they were a "set" and I needed to complete the puzzle!

Now, I know everyone was bickering about each platform back then, but I do not remember it at all, nor did I participate in it, so If you post, you can respond to any of these questions if you'd like. Or say whatever you want!

In North America, the intial reaction was PS2 domination until XBox started gaining ground real quick then it became horrendous for Nintendo fans (this is also true in some parts of europe, but mostly NA) So much so, that Gamecube was constantly destroyed. Especially that like the 2 times XBox outsold GC in japan. GC wasn't even considered competition.

I mean again, it was pretty bad, see when you look at the grand scheme of things PS2 was a dominate force, if you look At NA, then it was like an actual fight. It was what, 13 to 25 million by the time the 360 came out, so like I said, Gamecube got the shute. Although ti did manage to gain some ground when Xbox floundered for the 360 at horrendously cheap prices. People act as if PS2 domination was a prevention of debates, but it wasn't, Xbox grew fast. In fact, arguably, the fastest growing console ins the shortest time frame. Sure it hit a wall, and then lost tons of money, but it really shook things up and there were debates around the 2002-2004 period of PS2 losing games, and the Xbox getting games the PS2 wasn't getting, the PS2 losing support because games that were only on PS2 were coming to Xbox, and some devs that were on PS before were only making Xbox games, add monthly wins spread out through a 3 year period and well, the rest tells itself. Gamecube was a childrens toy, people were claiming at times (yeah they did) of GC being weaker than the PS2, and how Nintendo was going to die (well forgetting the GBA was a thing apparently) and a bunch of backwards toy games and barely any games. Lunchbox, barbie purse, blah blah. Some of this applied to europe in some countries during certain years to, but not as cut throat.

Was amazing really. GC was pretty much cut out of the competition, Xbox and PS2 were actually battling for NA for a bit before the 360 came out, oddly enough the shake up had developers change strategies, including Sony, although the 360 completed the shake-up. Now as for the rest of the world outside a few exception, the PS2 was just there, Xbox was a good secondary, but the gamecube was still mostly regulated to gum on a sidewalk. Japan was the only real exception to that, and really not much to say about the gamecube.

But in NA man, at first it was hmm, and then it was Super Powerful mega console, Yo look at all these games us OS and SNES fans haven't really experienced in any for since the genesis, or if never played, brand new experiences never played, Halo, Fable, Open worlds, realistic toy story graphics, HD, Man NA was a riot 6th gen not mirrored anywhere else except the gamecube and the PS2 in I think It was indonesia (I think was 120,000 to the PS2's 215,000) were the Gamecube entered at a cheaper price, and they had shown off the power advantage earlier, more of a rivalry there, GC was ahead and then died and PS2 caught up and passed as if the Gamecube stood still.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I purchase all systems because I like games in each and every system ( exclusives ) plus the multi plats. I, however didn´t purchase GameCube, purchased a PS2, got a bunch of games for it and for several reasons I ceased playing/purchasing games for several years, maybe 3 years ago my interest in gaming blossomed again so I got consoles and games of the 7th generation which also renewed my interest in the 6th generation again, I know I can play GC games in my Wii, but with pretty much the same money of a couple Wavebirds for my Wii to play GC games I can purchase a GC so that´s the route I´m going to follow, I´m going to purchase a GC for Nintendo GC games.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#6  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19516 Posts

6th Gen was the only ever console generation where I owned every single console released that gen. In the 2D days, I was a loyal Sega fan. In the 5th gen, I abandoned Sega and became a loyal PlayStation fan.

It was the 6th Gen when I decided to try out all the consoles, first the PS2, then the Dreamcast, then the Xbox, and then the GameCube. And I loved all of them. In fact, the GameCube was the first Nintendo console I ever brought. The PS2 was still my favourite overall that gen, but the others were great too. That was the era when I stopped being loyal to any particular console.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

6th gen was great, I loved all 3 of the consoles. I can't say I enjoyed them equally, PS2 was ahead of the pack because it just had so many damn games. Never a drought on that platform.

It was an awesome balance though.

PS2 - Largest library by far. Just too many games

Xbox - Easily the best graphics, great for multiplats, very robust online compared to what we were used to on consoles, and a handful of sick exclusives + PC ports.

Gamecube - Killer exclusive line up with some pretty damn good graphics too.

... Dreamcast wasn't too shabby either.

6th gen consoles were so beast I didn't even look to the PC. I'd play some Battlefield on occasion, some Half Life 2 and that was about it.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

^^lmao at that lem suggesting ps2 and xbox were going toe to toe.

ps2 DOMINATED/DESTROYED/SHIT ON/PISSED ON the competition, it wasnt even close

as for me? i went with ps2 all the motherfukin way awww yeeahhhhh

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I only had the Dreamcast, PS2 and Gamecube. Skipped the Xbox (Only knew 1 person that had one)

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

I only had the Xbox and Halo2 and Crimson skies are my best memories.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i had actually quit gamming in 1999....didnt get back into it until 2008 with the wii...

i missed a lot of stuff.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#12 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

Totally forgot to mention dreamcast, but that thing blew over my head when it was out anyways. I honeslty liked the ps2, xbox, and gc equally.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TigerSuperman

@ghostwarrior786 said:

In NA (before the 360 came out), please learn to read.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Best generation in gaming. Back in those days, I was a Nintendo die hard. Now, I see that all 3 consoles that generation were fantastic, and they were also different from each other. In good ways, heh.

I don't feel like ranking them though. I will say game wise, Gc had the best, but Ps2 had more games, that's for sure. Not that Ps2 didn't have top tier games, but I feel GC had more. Xbox had a bunch of gems as well, a lot of them made by Sega. Xbox took the torch from Dreamcast but did everything better.

@ConanTheStoner said:

Xbox - Easily the best graphics,

I'll just leave this here

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178838 Posts

@polishkid99: SW was the same then as it is now. There was lots of arguments between MS fans and Sony fans with the occasional Nintendo fan chiming in.

Anyway I had all three but really like the DC best that gen.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

I was definitely more into PC gaming during the 6th gen.

As far as consoles went I gamed on my GC more than anything (probably thanks to my daughter being into a lot of GC games back then. I also owned a PS2 and an Xbox (still do), but pretty much only ever bought and played a few exclusives on each. Owned a DC for a little while, but never really got into many of the games on it.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@polishkid99 said:

I was in SW during that time. Honestly, SW and the console war felt a lot worse back then. SEGA going down pissed off a LOT of fanboys. Then the much despised by Sega fans PS2 getting the 3rd party support brought in the hate from the Xbox and GC crowd. The PS2 sort of united the fan groups in their dislike of the PS brand. I remember fanboy declarations like 'there was never a back to back successful consoles twice in a row so the PS2 is doomed", things like that. There were of course Nintendo is doomed, Sony is doomed, Xbox is doomed threads back then as well. In the interest of the times in some ways the SW is better today, although it can be still be rough clearly. All the machines were hated of course, but the PS2 was actually hated strongly back then here at this site, so it's interesting to me how the PS2 is respected now as a legacy console. In fact, I joined SW back then since I noticed A LOT of misinformation all over the place. I came to Gamespot.com for years but never came to SW. After a few months of lurking lols, I created an official account to correct some of fanboy trolls.

Xbox Live was a thing (a year after Xbox launched in 2002). Crimson Skies and Mechassault was talked a lot about. I owned Steel Battalion series and enjoyed Phantom Dust over Xbox Live. Phantom Dust was a terrible SP game, but the online play was wonderful, one of my fave online games. Halo wasn't an online title, but a big LAN game. You could also trick Halo out using Gamespy, but Xbox Live's big Halo game was 2004's Halo 2...but only a year later we had Xbox 360. I did enjoy Splinter Cell 2/3 and Rainbow Six over Xbox Live. EA for instance only was online with PS2 online, which was a huge plus for PS2 and EA fans. Games like Fight Night, NCAA, SSX, Madden, Medal of Honor, Need For Speed, FIFA, NBA, NHL, etc games online. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 and THPS4 were both online on PS2. Sony's own Champions of Norrath, Twisted Metal Black Online, Gran Turismo 4, ATV Offroad, Frequency, Hot Shots Golf, and SOCOM 1/2 were especially huge. Some notable other offerings online at the time was Resident Evil Outbreak 1/2. Xbox Live got a lot of flak for having the $50 fee back then. Seganet, who could forget that?

Nintendo did PSO but really shyed away from online. I used my GC back then for the exclusives like Mario Sunshine, Zelda Wind Waker, Metroid Prime 1/2, SSB, etc.

It doesn't need to be said, but the PS2's sheer amount of exclusives both with Sony's highly rated 1st party created games (ICO, God of War 1/2, Twisted Metal Black, Shadow of the Colossus, Rogue Galaxy, Jak series 1-3, Sly Series 1-3, Ratchet series, etc) and the fantastic 3rd party exclusives (Tekken, MGS2/3, DMC 1-3, Final Fantasy 10-12, Maximo, Onimusha, Okami, ZOE 1/2, Shadow Hearts, etc) there was a lot fanboy bitterness. Of course, there were many fantastic games all over the place on the other machines like Ninja Gaiden on Xbox and REmake and RE4 on the cube.

I loved Fighting games, so I did enjoy that the PS2 had by far the most fighting games available for it. I also enjoyed fighters on Dreamcast while it was active.

I bought the Dreamcast in launch 1999, I got the PS2 in launch 2000, and I got the Xbox and GC in Nov 2001 when those launched. PC was great too. Games like Counter Strike, Warcraft 3, Half Life 2, Quake 3 Arena, Neverwinter Night, Doom 3, Deus Ex, KOTOR, Max Payne, Diablo 2, and games like that were big PC games.

I also enjoyed PC classic Giants Citizen Kabuto. Hilarious game. Just a great game, but I doubt many here have played it which saddens me.

----

• -How bad was it? (I'm assuming horrible since ps2 sold so well compared to the competition).

It was felt worse actually, at least in SW due to more users and how terrible users were towards each other. However, online in the world wasn't as big so it's worse today in that sense when I see sites like youtube (which didn't exist yet).

• -How do you compare brand loyalty and fanboyism back then, and now?

It is very strong then and very strong now. I don't see a difference. In fact, it was strong in the Sega Saturn/PS1/N64, and who could forget the 16 bit wars with the final showdown between the Sega Genesis and SNES.

I can't answer the other questions since I bought all the machines at launch back then and generations before that gen. Those questions were for users who bought one machine it seems.

• -Lastly, Do you have any funny stories of arguing with friends or on forums? any fond memories and experiences with one or all platforms?

Well, RARE being bought by M$ was a funny story, but it's too long to type out here. It was an RL story between two friends, one who loved RARE and Nintendo vs. another who was interested in M$'s new Xbox. I was at Denny's listening to them argue that night, lol.

I remember also, I have always been a huge ARCADE gamer growing up in the arcade fighting scene, so between fights in line (you put your quarter up and waited in a line of 5-6 people to play the champ) there were a lot of smack talk going on regarding the console war. A lot of trash talk regarding Dreamcast vs. Xbox vs. PS2 vs. Gamecube in those days. In fact, a couple of fist fights happened as well (plus there were sore losers in the games).

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

The same type of fighting that goes on now, happened then too.

I had all the major systems back then, and liked them in this order: PC>Xbox>Dreamcast>GCN>GBA>PS2

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

It was the generation I returned to console gaming after the late 1990s playing PC games.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

I had all of the consoles. I started out favoring the GameCube, but eventually started liking the Xbox more.

By the end of the gen, I would rank them as:

1. Xbox

2. GameCube

3. DreamCast

4. PS2

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#21  Edited By gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

That was a good generation for the evolution of 3d games. In a sense we are still playing the same type of games we did back then.

---

Dreamcast and GameCube were great systems. I began the gen full on with the Dreamcast which was extremely stacked early on with games. Stuff like Power Stone, Soul Calibur, Shenmue, Code Veronica. Lots of platinum arcade experiences on the system and tons of cool accessories. Lol for DC/PC Q3 crossplay, Seaman, and bleem!.

I especially loved the GameCube design and the WaveBird Wireless pad. Wind Waker was just a revelation and there were a lot of quirky games they made the system different. WiiU and GC are similar in that respect.

Had many PS2s and loved stuff like DMC and Silent Hill 2, but the games and controller always felt clunky and slow. DVD was a great addition to the system and only the PS2 did it out of the box.

On PC I believe that was the Obvlivion, Fear, Doom 3, HL2, KOTOR era

Fanboy wars have always existed Sega vs SNES was intense and you would get slapped for talking crap about Sonic, 'nuff said.

---

@SolidTy,

Good memory about the evolution of console online play. That was back in the emerging internet days and I used Juno free dial-up internet and played Quake III and NFL 2k1 online. Actually worked pretty damn good.

You're right about Xbox initially having no online play, you could use a free portal online for linking LAN games and playing Halo and THPS2 cannot remember what it was called.

I have similar experiences in arcades especially with fighting games, but also great experiences like X-men 4p, Simpsons, NBA Jam, Diehard, and T2.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@gamecubepad said:

That was a good generation for the evolution of 3d games. In a sense we are still playing the same type of games we did back then.

---

Dreamcast and GameCube were great systems. I began the gen full on with the Dreamcast which was extremely stacked early on with games. Stuff like Power Stone, Soul Calibur, Shenmue, Code Veronica. Lots of platinum arcade experiences on the system and tons of cool accessories. Lol for DC/PC Q3 crossplay, Seaman, and bleem!.

I especially loved the GameCube design and the WaveBird Wireless pad. Wind Waker was just a revelation and there were a lot of quirky games they made the system different. WiiU and GC are similar in that respect.

Had many PS2s and loved stuff like DMC and Silent Hill 2, but the games and controller always felt clunky and slow. DVD was a great addition to the system and only the PS2 did it out of the box.

On PC I believe that was the Obvlivion, Fear, Doom 3, HL2, KOTOR era

Fanboy wars have always existed Sega vs SNES was intense and you would get slapped for talking crap about Sonic, 'nuff said.

---

@SolidTy,

Good memory about the evolution of console online play. That was back in the emerging internet days and I used Juno free dial-up internet and played Quake III and NFL 2k1 online. Actually worked pretty damn good.

You're right about Xbox initially having no online play, you could use a free portal online for linking LAN games and playing Halo and THPS2 cannot remember what it was called.

I have similar experiences in arcades especially with fighting games, but also great experiences like X-men 4p, Simpsons, NBA Jam, Diehard, and T2.

Thanks yeah. The good old days of Juno, AOL, Prodigy, etc. Tricking the LAN for Xbox was done but with some lag many times, but it was all we had for games that had no online or for those that didn't want to pay for Xbox Live back then. At one point, Sega was giving away Seganet subs, it was cool, even if it was chuchu or PSO.

The Genesis vs. SNES had a lot of Phantasy Star vs. Final Fantasy and Sonic vs. Mario. Very intense debates depending...which was more interesting back then because gaming wasn't cool then.

The multiplats were also argued. Back then, simple 2D multiplat games were often times different, like Disney's Aladdin. Both fun, but one was better than the other (Shinji Mikami got started there I believe.).

DMC was 60fps, It never felt "slow to me" as I recall so was the fighting games and surprisingly Metal Gear Solid 2. I still own four Silver/Platinum colored Wavebirds to match my Platinum Gamecubes. Funny thing is I used them for the Wii later on. I also enjoyed the PS2 official logitech wireless controller, very well made. Someone told me my two official Gamecube component video cables for my two GC's are worth mulah, that was a strange discovery. I loved the Powerstone games on my DC. I should bust those out.

Also, I loved Konami's 4p Simpsons and I even enjoyed many times the X-Men arcade and I was fortunate enough to be introduced to it on a sixplayer machine. My avatar here at GS for about five years was that X-Men arcade machine. NBA Jam was big too, but the majority of my quarters went towards SF2, SF3, SFA1-3 (especially alpha 3), X-Men Children of the Atom, Marvel Super Heroes, XvSF, MvSF, MvC, MvC2, MK 1-3, Soul Cali, Tekken Tag (Tekk 1-4), KOF, etc. I definitely had a big appreciation for Capcom, Konami, Sega, and Namco in those arcades.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

A lot of it was the same, the bigger difference is that all 3 consoles had more of an identity given how many more exclusives were made back then. Nintendo was obviously Nintendo, the PS2 was a beast, and the Xbox had its ghetto PC thing going on+straight up gems like Ninja Gaiden Black, Crimson Skies, and Otogi. The more japanese centric nature of console gaming gave the consoles themselves more of an identity as opposed to the ghetto PC's that the 360/PS3 became in gen 7, and are now in gen 8.

As far as my bias: same bias it's always been - I like the games, don't care what they are on, as long as the game is beast that's what I'm a fan of.

Otherwise I started posting on SW around the time Twilight Princess flopped. Twas amazing.

That generation is legit fantastic, and it's best stuff goes toe to toe nicely with the Snes/Genesis era. And while the overall average quality of a game improved in gen 7, and as fantastic as the likes of Bayonetta and Demon's Souls are, I feel like push comes to shove I'd take the best gen 6 had to offer over Gen 7.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#24 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

This sucker. Got too much hate for no good reason. And it was the LAST Nintendo console to be Relevant with the Competition.

It had your usual Nintendo flair, Your Mario, Your Zelda, Your Metroid....BUT IT HAD NEW GAMES like Pikmin, Animal Crossing, and CUSTOM ROBO. FREAKIN' CAPCOM laying down the law with Support of Megamans, Viewtiful Joes, and RESIDENT EVILS (including REmake and 2 NEW games Zero and 4.)

Now I don't know how this site went about it's days back then since I had no internet and had to rely on Information from Friends and Gamestop for New games, but The Gamecube to me was AMAZING. Such a shame Nintendo can't make another console like it. WiiU is close, but It still doesn't feel like another Cube.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

I was a filthy,casual ps2 console peasant and then suddenly i found enlightenment.I discovered the glory of PC gaming.

I remember playing Sims 2,Far Cry,Doom 3,KOTOR,Jedi Academy and Morrowind on my new PC at the time(Pentium 4,fx 5950 ultra).....good times.....

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

Gamecube was by far the best console with the best games. However I was really hooked on Warcraft 3 back then so PC wins as usual.

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ghostwarrior786

@TigerSuperman said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

lmao get a grip kid or at least get a source which backs up ur utter bs

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29  Edited By jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

i had all 3 consoles...was pretty happy about it really. then i went to sw and i realized i was in the minority lol

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Owned all 4 major consoles of that generation, got the dreamcast at launch.

Ended up playing the xbox most throughout the generation though.

games like halo, Riddick, fable , morrowind, doom 3, deus ex eaten lots of my time

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TigerSuperman

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@TigerSuperman said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Dude, PS2 sold like 48 or so million in NA, most of which was after life from 2005-2010. Everyone knows PS systems (outside the PS3) are backloaded. All SOny fans know this. They do have strong sales initially but those sales double by the end.

Xbox sold 24+ million WW so at the 360's release in 2005, it's literally like 14 to 22 in the PS2's favor. That's not far at all and showed the momentum Xbox had gotten because with a year head start the game was only 8 or so million. When the gap was actually double that by the end of the Xbox's first year.

Were do you think a lot of the 21 million (the other 3 were the remaining years) Xbox originals sold? japan? UK was like 3 million at most, and that was the second best market. Xbox 1 (not one) had like no advatnage that even the CURRENT Xbox has, it was worse on all angles, it was a machine out of nowhere no one was sure about. Who else were buying the Xboxs?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#32 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Why am I doing this?

@TigerSuperman said:

@polishkid99 said:

In North America, the intial reaction was PS2 domination until XBox started gaining ground real quick then it became horrendous for Nintendo fans (this is also true in some parts of europe, but mostly NA) So much so, that Gamecube was constantly destroyed. Especially that like the 2 times XBox outsold GC in japan. GC wasn't even considered competition.

I mean again, it was pretty bad, see when you look at the grand scheme of things PS2 was a dominate force, if you look At NA, then it was like an actual fight. It was what, 13 to 25 million by the time the 360 came out, so like I said, Gamecube got the shute. Although ti did manage to gain some ground when Xbox floundered for the 360 at horrendously cheap prices. People act as if PS2 domination was a prevention of debates, but it wasn't, Xbox grew fast. In fact, arguably, the fastest growing console ins the shortest time frame. Sure it hit a wall, and then lost tons of money, but it really shook things up and there were debates around the 2002-2004 period of PS2 losing games, and the Xbox getting games the PS2 wasn't getting, the PS2 losing support because games that were only on PS2 were coming to Xbox, and some devs that were on PS before were only making Xbox games, add monthly wins spread out through a 3 year period and well, the rest tells itself. Gamecube was a childrens toy, people were claiming at times (yeah they did) of GC being weaker than the PS2, and how Nintendo was going to die (well forgetting the GBA was a thing apparently) and a bunch of backwards toy games and barely any games. Lunchbox, barbie purse, blah blah. Some of this applied to europe in some countries during certain years to, but not as cut throat.

Was amazing really. GC was pretty much cut out of the competition, Xbox and PS2 were actually battling for NA for a bit before the 360 came out, oddly enough the shake up had developers change strategies, including Sony, although the 360 completed the shake-up. Now as for the rest of the world outside a few exception, the PS2 was just there, Xbox was a good secondary, but the gamecube was still mostly regulated to gum on a sidewalk. Japan was the only real exception to that, and really not much to say about the gamecube.

But in NA man, at first it was hmm, and then it was Super Powerful mega console, Yo look at all these games us OS and SNES fans haven't really experienced in any for since the genesis, or if never played, brand new experiences never played, Halo, Fable, Open worlds, realistic toy story graphics, HD, Man NA was a riot 6th gen not mirrored anywhere else except the gamecube and the PS2 in I think It was indonesia (I think was 120,000 to the PS2's 215,000) were the Gamecube entered at a cheaper price, and they had shown off the power advantage earlier, more of a rivalry there, GC was ahead and then died and PS2 caught up and passed as if the Gamecube stood still.

"Mostly in NA is horrendous for the GameCube?" "Only in some parts of Europe?"

I'm sorry, but you HAVE to be joking if you think the GameCube's placement in Europe was ANY better than North America. If anything, it was even worse in Europe because unlike America, European gamers never caught on with Nintendo. They never did with the NES. They never did SNES (the only place where that console got slaughtered by the SEGA Genesis/Megadrive, while it was a tougher battle in America, but Genesis getting an edge and the Mega Drive got it's ass kicked in Japan) and they surely never did with the N64.

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ghostwarrior786

@TigerSuperman said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@TigerSuperman said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Dude, PS2 sold like 48 or so million in NA, most of which was after life from 2005-2010. Everyone knows PS systems (outside the PS3) are backloaded. All SOny fans know this. They do have strong sales initially but those sales double by the end.

Xbox sold 24+ million WW so at the 360's release in 2005, it's literally like 14 to 22 in the PS2's favor. That's not far at all and showed the momentum Xbox had gotten because with a year head start the game was only 8 or so million. When the gap was actually double that by the end of the Xbox's first year.

Were do you think a lot of the 21 million (the other 3 were the remaining years) Xbox originals sold? japan? UK was like 3 million at most, and that was the second best market. Xbox 1 (not one) had like no advatnage that even the CURRENT Xbox has, it was worse on all angles, it was a machine out of nowhere no one was sure about. Who else were buying the Xboxs?

so no source? u could have just said that instead of writing 3 paragraphs

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@TigerSuperman said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@TigerSuperman said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

so no source? u could have just said that instead of writing 3 paragraphs

Did you even have source in your original claim?

Nope

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ghostwarrior786

xbox sales in na:

• Dec 2001 - 1.5 million
  • Dec 2002 - 5.4 million
  • Jun 2003 - 6.2 million
  • Dec 2003 - 8.6 million
  • Jun 2004 - 10.1 million
  • Dec 2004 - 13.2 million
  • Jun 2005 - 14.6 million
  • Dec 2005 - 16 million

ps2 sales in na

• January 2003 (NA): 21.48m [10]
  • January 2003 (US): 15.8m [11]
  • January 2004 (NA): 24.5m [12]
  • April 2007: 38.2 million [13]
  • January 2008 (US): 41.12m [14]
  • August 2008 (U.S.): 42.5 million units [15]
  • January 2009 (U.S.): 43 million [16]
  • January 2009 (NA): 50 million

it wasnt even close

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

i owned all 3 consoles but games like Ultima Online, Star Wars Galaxies, WW2 Online and Counter-Strike took up my time

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ghostwarrior786

@MonsieurX: oh look another monsieur fail. he never asked for source where as i did. but ive sourced now anyway just to prove what utter bs he was spouting.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MonsieurX
@ghostwarrior786 said:

@MonsieurX: oh look another monsieur fail. he never asked for source where as i did. but ive sourced now anyway just to prove what utter bs he was spouting.

Good thing a lot of people bought a dvd player

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Liked all three of them for different reasons. At the time I only owned a GC and low end PC but later on I got a PS2. Still I played plenty of PS2 games and Xbox games at friends houses, especially Halo and GTA Vice City. Compared to last gen it went by quickly.

If I had to rank them: PS2 >>>> GC >>>>>>>>>>>>> Xbox > Dreamcast.

Metroid Prime stood out to me out of all the games last gen. Recently buying it again on the eshop made me realize how well the game has aged.

As for SWs, I didn't follow gaming news on the internet until 2004-5 and didn't follow SWs until early 2006 when the Wii was called the Revolution and the 360 just launched. Not much has changed except back then there were still some hedgehogs and more self-ownage. E3 2006 and its aftermath really made me more interested in SWs. However I didn't become a GS user until 2009 but I was aware of the many crazy incidents of last gen.

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ghostwarrior786

@MonsieurX said:
@ghostwarrior786 said:

wow nice argument change there lmao

just give it up

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MonsieurX

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@MonsieurX said:
@ghostwarrior786 said:

wow nice argument change there lmao

just give it up

ayye lmao

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TigerSuperman

@ghostwarrior786 said:

xbox sales in na:

• Dec 2001 - 1.5 million
  • Dec 2002 - 5.4 million
  • Jun 2003 - 6.2 million
  • Dec 2003 - 8.6 million
  • Jun 2004 - 10.1 million
  • Dec 2004 - 13.2 million
  • Jun 2005 - 14.6 million
  • Dec 2005 - 16 million

ps2 sales in na

• January 2003 (NA): 21.48m [10]
  • January 2003 (US): 15.8m [11]
  • January 2004 (NA): 24.5m [12]
  • April 2007: 38.2 million [13]
  • January 2008 (US): 41.12m [14]
  • August 2008 (U.S.): 42.5 million units [15]
  • January 2009 (U.S.): 43 million [16]
  • January 2009 (NA): 50 million

it wasnt even close

While your links are garbage, you posted 16 to 24. Considering you have it at 38 in 2007, that would mean that I was indeed right, the XBox was rushing down, and a lot of the PS2's sales in NA (U.s especally) were front loaded. So PS2 went from a over 10 million lead and growing toward 15, to stalling while the Xbox was catching up in NA. (and especvially the U.S>)

well thanks for proving my point good man.

This is even mroe obvious with this LTD chart as a June 2004, still ahving motnhs left in the year and before the holiday:

From Left to right by row, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, GBA

2003 / 01 (January) 448,000 164,000 81,000 266,000 2003 / 02 (February) 488,934 198,531 165,417 291,112 Gamecube Free Game Giveaway (Started Feb 9) 2003 / 03 (March) 410,704 164,780 165,417 838,402 2003 / 04 (April) 264,273 126,590 101,000 431,981 Free Zelda GC Bundle 2003 / 05 (May) 288,127 123,614 84,408 402,662 PS2, Xbox Price Drop 199 -> 179 2003 / 06 (June) 440,834 166,879 124,080 660,366 2003 / 07 (July) 309,231 137,242 126,767 485,381 2003 / 08 (August) 291,000 146,000 100,000 369,000 2003 / 09 (September) 334,000 172,000 165,000 410,000 2003 / 10 (October) 300,000 176,000 254,000 401,000 Gamecube Price Drop $149 -> $99 2003 / 11 (November) 849,000 490,000 754,000 1,323,000 2003 / 12 (December) 1,970,000 1,122,000 1,163,000 2,316,000 2004 / 01 (January) 338,000 192,000 131,000 299,000 2004 / 02 (February) 363,000 204,000 137,000 353,000 2004 / 03 (March) 294,437 198,445 163,028 496,614 Xbox price drop $179-$149 2004 / 04 (April) 188,669 297,351 96,050 292,570 2004 / 05 (May) 253,454 216,997 77,827 270,000 PS2 Price Drop (core $179->$149, bundle $199->$149) 2004 / 06 (June) 427,000 262,000 109,000 521,000 Totals 24,094,233 9,159,641 7,579,835 22,119,125

So using your numbers, PS2 literally stalled and the XBox climbed up exactly as I said.
24 and 9, to 27-28 (If it's at 38 in 2007 as you said, and considering the PS2 due to PS3 struggling, started shooting up the charts in that period of 06-07,27 range is as far as it could have gotten in 2005, and the 360 probably had to do with that as well.) to 16-17 is amazing.

That's a pretty big stall. And like I said during the time, Developers were moving or also making games all of a sudde for Xbox, proting games, and of course, PC devs were more focused on XBox.

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#43 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

@SolidTy said:

DMC was 60fps, It never felt "slow to me" as I recall so was the fighting games and surprisingly Metal Gear Solid 2. I still own four Silver/Platinum colored Wavebirds to match my Platinum Gamecubes. Funny thing is I used them for the Wii later on. I also enjoyed the PS2 official logitech wireless controller, very well made. Someone told me my two official Gamecube component video cables for my two GC's are worth mulah, that was a strange discovery. I loved the Powerstone games on my DC. I should bust those out.

Also, I loved Konami's 4p Simpsons and I even enjoyed many times the X-Men arcade and I was fortunate enough to be introduced to it on a sixplayer machine. My avatar here at GS for about five years was that X-Men arcade machine. NBA Jam was big too, but the majority of my quarters went towards SF2, SF3, SFA1-3 (especially alpha 3), X-Men Children of the Atom, Marvel Super Heroes, XvSF, MvSF, MvC, MvC2, MK 1-3, Soul Cali, Tekken Tag (Tekk 1-4), KOF, etc. I definitely had a big appreciation for Capcom, Konami, Sega, and Namco in those arcades.

We didn't have digital foundry and the b3d pixel counters back then so I can't attribute the feel I was getting to any particular performance issue. Could've been I was coming off cross-platform play with DC, GC, and PC and PS2 was more cinematic?

In a way DC was the last bastion of arcade gaming. We transitioned into a different era of games and I would say western development and hardware design philosophy began to shift the industry away from what the hardcore arcade/*** style was at the time.

@jg4xchamp said:

A lot of it was the same, the bigger difference is that all 3 consoles had more of an identity given how many more exclusives were made back then. Nintendo was obviously Nintendo, the PS2 was a beast, and the Xbox had its ghetto PC thing going on+straight up gems like Ninja Gaiden Black, Crimson Skies, and Otogi. The more japanese centric nature of console gaming gave the consoles themselves more of an identity as opposed to the ghetto PC's that the 360/PS3 became in gen 7, and are now in gen 8.

This is similar to what I feel about the evolution of consoles. Ironically I loved the initial idea of walled-garden PCs because it provides so much crossover with console and PC hardware. Sales betray the actual power-shift that occurred that gen with Live and PC/Xbox multiplat shared exclusivity and the eventual manifestation of the westernized development process in the console arena.

In a sense, PS4 represents the ideal console and it's a PC with a Dualshock...lol.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

The Xbox was the best. At the time I preferred the PS2 to the Gamecube, but that's mostly because I didn't own a Cube. The BC on the Wii made me believe the Gamecube was actually better than the PS2. It was a really great gen, though. It's my favorite one so far, anyway.

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ghostwarrior786

@TigerSuperman said:

While your links are garbage, you posted 16 to 24. Considering you have it at 38 in 2007, that would mean that I was indeed right, the XBox was rushing down, and a lot of the PS2's sales in NA (U.s especally) were front loaded. So PS2 went from a over 10 million lead and growing toward 15, to stalling while the Xbox was catching up in NA. (and especvially the U.S>)

This is even mroe obvious with this LTD chart as a June 2004, still ahving motnhs left in the year and before the holiday:

2003 / 01 (January) 448,000 164,000 81,000 266,000 2003 / 02 (February) 488,934 198,531 165,417 291,112 Gamecube Free Game Giveaway (Started Feb 9) 2003 / 03 (March) 410,704 164,780 165,417 838,402 2003 / 04 (April) 264,273 126,590 101,000 431,981 Free Zelda GC Bundle 2003 / 05 (May) 288,127 123,614 84,408 402,662 PS2, Xbox Price Drop 199 -> 179 2003 / 06 (June) 440,834 166,879 124,080 660,366 2003 / 07 (July) 309,231 137,242 126,767 485,381 2003 / 08 (August) 291,000 146,000 100,000 369,000 2003 / 09 (September) 334,000 172,000 165,000 410,000 2003 / 10 (October) 300,000 176,000 254,000 401,000 Gamecube Price Drop $149 -> $99 2003 / 11 (November) 849,000 490,000 754,000 1,323,000 2003 / 12 (December) 1,970,000 1,122,000 1,163,000 2,316,000 2004 / 01 (January) 338,000 192,000 131,000 299,000 2004 / 02 (February) 363,000 204,000 137,000 353,000 2004 / 03 (March) 294,437 198,445 163,028 496,614 Xbox price drop $179-$149 2004 / 04 (April) 188,669 297,351 96,050 292,570 2004 / 05 (May) 253,454 216,997 77,827 270,000 PS2 Price Drop (core $179->$149, bundle $199->$149) 2004 / 06 (June) 427,000 262,000 109,000 521,000 Totals 24,094,233 9,159,641 7,579,835 22,119,125 So using your numbers, PS2 literally stalled and the XBox climbed up exactly as I said. 24 and 9, to 27-28 (If it's at 38 in 2007 as you said, and considering the PS2 due to PS3 struggling, started shooting up the charts in that period of 06-07,27 range is as far as it could have gotten in 2005, and the 360 probably had to do with that as well.) to 16-17 is amazing. That's a pretty big stall. And like I said during the time, Developers were moving or also making games all of a sudde for Xbox, proting games, and of course, PC devs were more focused on XBox.

am i supposed to read that massive unorganised paragraph? lmao at least give it structure and wtf is ur source?

xbox had 16m sales in na by 2005

ps2 had 21.48m by 2003

so wtf are u even talking about going toe to toe lololololol it was complete destruction

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

What I remember most is how different console and PC games were. That's why I bought the xbox, simply because it had more games that were PC-centric (Halo, KOTOR, Morrowind and the like).

SW was well fierce back then and think about how cows are now, but multiply the arrogance a hundred fold because they actually had things to be arrogant about :P

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#47 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

This sucker. Got too much hate for no good reason. And it was the LAST Nintendo console to be Relevant with the Competition.

It had your usual Nintendo flair, Your Mario, Your Zelda, Your Metroid....BUT IT HAD NEW GAMES like Pikmin, Animal Crossing, and CUSTOM ROBO. FREAKIN' CAPCOM laying down the law with Support of Megamans, Viewtiful Joes, and RESIDENT EVILS (including REmake and 2 NEW games Zero and 4.)

Now I don't know how this site went about it's days back then since I had no internet and had to rely on Information from Friends and Gamestop for New games, but The Gamecube to me was AMAZING. Such a shame Nintendo can't make another console like it. WiiU is close, but It still doesn't feel like another Cube.

It was hated... until the Wii came out. Now it's seen as a godsend by comparison.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TigerSuperman

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@TigerSuperman said:

2003 / 01 (January) 448,000 164,000 81,000 266,000 2003 / 02 (February) 488,934 198,531 165,417 291,112 Gamecube Free Game Giveaway (Started Feb 9) 2003 / 03 (March) 410,704 164,780 165,417 838,402 2003 / 04 (April) 264,273 126,590 101,000 431,981 Free Zelda GC Bundle 2003 / 05 (May) 288,127 123,614 84,408 402,662 PS2, Xbox Price Drop 199 -> 179 2003 / 06 (June) 440,834 166,879 124,080 660,366 2003 / 07 (July) 309,231 137,242 126,767 485,381 2003 / 08 (August) 291,000 146,000 100,000 369,000 2003 / 09 (September) 334,000 172,000 165,000 410,000 2003 / 10 (October) 300,000 176,000 254,000 401,000 Gamecube Price Drop $149 -> $99 2003 / 11 (November) 849,000 490,000 754,000 1,323,000 2003 / 12 (December) 1,970,000 1,122,000 1,163,000 2,316,000 2004 / 01 (January) 338,000 192,000 131,000 299,000 2004 / 02 (February) 363,000 204,000 137,000 353,000 2004 / 03 (March) 294,437 198,445 163,028 496,614 Xbox price drop $179-$149 2004 / 04 (April) 188,669 297,351 96,050 292,570 2004 / 05 (May) 253,454 216,997 77,827 270,000 PS2 Price Drop (core $179->$149, bundle $199->$149) 2004 / 06 (June) 427,000 262,000 109,000 521,000 Totals 24,094,233 9,159,641 7,579,835 22,119,125 So using your numbers, PS2 literally stalled and the XBox climbed up exactly as I said. 24 and 9, to 27-28 (If it's at 38 in 2007 as you said, and considering the PS2 due to PS3 struggling, started shooting up the charts in that period of 06-07,27 range is as far as it could have gotten in 2005, and the 360 probably had to do with that as well.) to 16-17 is amazing. That's a pretty big stall. And like I said during the time, Developers were moving or also making games all of a sudde for Xbox, proting games, and of course, PC devs were more focused on XBox.

am i supposed to read that massive unorganised paragraph? lmao at least give it structure and wtf is ur source?

xbox had 16m sales in na by 2005

ps2 had 21.48m by 2003

so wtf are u even talking about going toe to toe lololololol it was complete destruction

That very first line above the numbers (paragraph it isn't) clearly says "Ps2, Xbox, Gamecube, GBA from left to right"

So if the totals are:

24,094,233 9,159,641 7,579,835 22,119,125

Then you really don't have to read anything else. The PS2 had 21.48 in 2003, WW, not in NA, you know I am talking abotu NA, that's why you try to run and hide like a baby. I mentioned it over 5 times already.

In NA it was 16 to 27. As the number above show, it was 9 to 24. That means the Xbox literally was running up on the PS2 that was floundering for about 2 years. If they could have supported both Xbox systems, most likely it would end with a very close LTD with the ps2. Especially since it probably ended at around `18 in NA (so 6 mill in the rest of the world, 3 million in the UK, that sounds right) by 2007. Where the pS2 was still selling thnaks to more games, low price, and a fumbling PS3.

Basally in summary, going from 9 to 24, to 16 to 27. It's an insane catch up of a 7 million increase to a 3 million increase in the same time frame in NA by end of 2005.

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ghostwarrior786

@TigerSuperman: again no source and lol at 'PS2 had 21.48 in 2003, WW, not in NA', do u even read the sources i provided? by 2003 ps2 had sold OVER 50m worldwide with 21.48m in NA alone. <<that is straight from sonys mouth, click the damn link

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

When I was a kid you could call me a Sony fanBoy. But now I mainly look at things in terms of is it worth the money? So I've switched over to using pc and have no Sony consoles.

Back then i was probably horrible to deal with online. I doubt I was reasonable, and most certainly a little misguided and missinformed about a lot of things. I look at those times as something of a lapse in my mental judgement that quickly got fixed with age.