59% of Americans Play Video Games

#1 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71819 posts) -

Link

More than half of all Americans play video games, a recent study by the Entertainment Software Association has found.

Smart phone gaming is factored into this, with the study recognising that usage has increased by 22% since 2012, but just over half of all US households also own an average of two consoles, evidencing that “casual” gamers aren’t the only ones playing. In fact, 68% of games were found to be played on console in gaming households compared to 53% on smartphones.

The average gaming household has at least one dedicated game console, pc, or smartphone.

The study also found that:

- Wireless device use increased by 37 percent, over 2012.

- The average American gamer is 31-years-old.

- Women age 18 or older represent a significantly greater portion of the game-playing population (36 percent) than boys age 18 or younger (17 percent).

- The number of female gamers age 50 and older increased by 32 percent from 2012 to 2013.

- The average number of years gamers have been playing video games: 14.

- Adult gamers have been playing for an average of 16 years, with adult men averaging 18 years and adult women averaging 13 years.

- The average age of the most frequent game purchaser is 35.

#2 Posted by Heil68 (44592 posts) -

That's not surprising with how popular casual mobile games have become. Everyone seems to play at least 1 game on their mobile phone or tablets these days. Goes across the entire demographic of people.

#3 Edited by The_Last_Ride (71819 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

That's not surprising with how popular casual mobile games have become. Everyone seems to play at least 1 game on their mobile phone or tablets these days. Goes across the entire demographic of people.

Apparantly also all households have 2 consoles at home, but wether or not they are new or even gaming consoles at all and not tablets/phones is unknown

#4 Edited by Netret0120 (2159 posts) -

Yay America?:-)

#5 Posted by clr84651 (5449 posts) -

That's actually lower than I would've guessed.

#6 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (7156 posts) -

92% of Asians play or something like that.

#7 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4794 posts) -
@The_Last_Ride said:

The number of female gamers age 50 and older increased by 32 percent from 2012 to 2013.

also known as: "The Hardcore Crowd"

#8 Posted by inb4uall (5727 posts) -

Casuals

#9 Edited by Cyberdot (3537 posts) -

Urgh, frickin' casuals.

#10 Edited by PsychoLemons (2101 posts) -

Should I be concerned?

#11 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8810 posts) -

I always hate how Facebook games and other casual crap messes up the statistics.

#12 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71819 posts) -

@PsychoLemons said:

Should I be concerned?

I don't think so

#13 Posted by stationplay_4 (443 posts) -

MURICA

#14 Edited by Puggy301 (160 posts) -

Not surprised by any of this information at all. Gen X'ers & Y'ers grew up with gaming and not only accept it as another form of entertainment, but as an integral one at that. Only baby boomers still tend to look askance at gaming, as is usually evidenced whenever there is a mass shooting somewhere. It always seems to be these self-righteous dino-Boomers who scream for video games to either be censored, or abolished altogether following some tragedy or other, as if that would really fix any of our social problems. The funny thing about that is that their parents used to say the same thing about rock-n-roll back in the 1950s. I guess the irony is lost on them.

#15 Edited by The_Last_Ride (71819 posts) -

@Puggy301 said:

Not surprised by any of this information at all. Gen X'ers & Y'ers grew up with gaming and not only accept it as another form of entertainment, but as an integral one at that. Only baby boomers still tend to look askance at gaming, as is usually evidenced whenever there is a mass shooting somewhere. It always seems to be these self-righteous dino-Boomers who scream for video games to either be censored, or abolished altogether following some tragedy or other, as if that would really fix any of our social problems. The funny thing about that is that their parents used to say the same thing about rock-n-roll back in the 1950s. I guess the irony is lost on them.

that is true, the new generation is more open to that

#16 Posted by SonySoldier-_- (754 posts) -

INB4 USA chants start.