5 times more People online in GT5 then GT6?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TorqueHappens08 (926 posts) -

I hopped back on GT5, to see if it was dead online, and to my absolute shock, there were 5 times as many rooms/people online in GT5 than GT6.

What's going on, and when i mean alot more, i mean like 50% more, page after page of lobbies with alot of full rooms.

What does this mean? Does this also explain the massive decline in sells for GT6?

Not only US lobbies but euro/asia lobbies, it felt like none of the players actually crossed over to GT6, i was shocked when i saw the difference in online activity,

Yea, Granted GT6 has a ton of lobbies and alot of activity, but GT5 felt like the early days of when GT5 released.

I was starting to think the GT community interest in Gran turismo was crumbling down, but no, everyone is still playing GT5, i just thought it was interesting...

So a certain statement comes to mind...

*GT6* should have just been a massive spec 3.0 update for GT5, rather then a new game, imo

What does everyone else think?

Also the fact that GT5 servers will be shut down on may 30th might also have alot to do with it.

#2 Posted by lostrib (37594 posts) -

aren't they shutting down the GT5 servers?

#4 Edited by MrYaotubo (2709 posts) -

And sony is shutting down GT5 clearly do drive the GT6 sales,scumbags.

#5 Posted by SolidTy (43733 posts) -

@TorqueHappens08 said:

I hopped back on GT5, to see if it was dead online, and to my absolute shock, there were 5 times as many rooms/people online in GT5 than GT6.

What's going on, and when i mean alot more, i mean like 50% more, page after page of lobbies with alot of full rooms.

What does this mean? Does this also explain the massive decline in sells for GT6?

Not only US lobbies but euro/asia lobbies, it felt like none of the players actually crossed over to GT6, i was shocked when i saw the difference in online activity,

Yea, Granted GT6 has a ton of lobbies and alot of activity, but GT5 felt like the early days of when GT5 released.

I was starting to think the GT community interest in Gran turismo was crumbling down, but no, everyone is still playing GT5, i just thought it was interesting...

So a certain statement comes to mind...

*GT6* should have just been a massive spec 3.0 update for GT5, rather then a new game, imo

What does everyone else think?

Also the fact that GT5 servers will be shut down on may 30th might also have alot to do with it.

GT5 has had years to acquire an online community, GT6 just released in Dec, a few months ago. Give GT6 time.

I don't even play either game and I know GT6 is brand new and GT5 came out in 2010.

#6 Edited by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

LOL, Sony screwed up. They should have released GT6 for PS4 instead.

#7 Posted by TorqueHappens08 (926 posts) -

@lostrib said:

aren't they shutting down the GT5 servers?

yep, this is definitely to drive sells towards GT6, which is stupid, like the eden/atari TDU approach with TDU2.

#8 Edited by lundy86_4 (43526 posts) -

GT5 has been around a while, and has garnered a sizable community. GT6 kind of came in under the radar.

#9 Posted by RossRichard (2393 posts) -

Nobody likes microtransactions. Shocker, right?

#10 Posted by TorqueHappens08 (926 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:

GT5 has been around a while, and has garnered a sizable community. GT6 kind of came in under the radar.

Do you think more of the community would have made the jump, had GT6 been PS4? also, come may 30th, alot of the community are going to be pissed. i actually think this is a very bad move...

#11 Posted by Couth_ (10162 posts) -

@TorqueHappens08 said:

I hopped back on GT5, to see if it was dead online, and to my absolute shock, there were 5 times as many rooms/people online in GT5 than GT6.

What's going on, and when i mean alot more, i mean like 50% more, page after page of lobbies with alot of full rooms.

WTF are you even saying? Which one is it? 5 times more? Alot more? or 50% more?

#12 Posted by lundy86_4 (43526 posts) -

@TorqueHappens08 said:

@lundy86_4 said:

GT5 has been around a while, and has garnered a sizable community. GT6 kind of came in under the radar.

Do you think more of the community would have made the jump, had GT6 been PS4? also, come may 30th, alot of the community are going to be pissed. i actually think this is a very bad move...

Maybe. Tough to say, as I haven't been into GT since GT4.

Sony kinda goofed with announcing the closing of GT5 servers... Obviously a forced migration, but many may just not bother.

#13 Edited by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

Gta5 sold over 10 million copies.

#14 Posted by RR360DD (11984 posts) -

Well GT6 was an even bigger flop than GT5, that probably had a lot to do with it. Plus the franchise has been completely overshadowed by better racing games.

Seems to be a common theme with playstation franchises... LOL

#15 Posted by TorqueHappens08 (926 posts) -

@Couth_ said:

@TorqueHappens08 said:

I hopped back on GT5, to see if it was dead online, and to my absolute shock, there were 5 times as many rooms/people online in GT5 than GT6.

What's going on, and when i mean alot more, i mean like 50% more, page after page of lobbies with alot of full rooms.

WTF are you even saying? Which one is it? 5 times more? Alot more? or 50% more?

5 times, 50% 500%, 5000% 5000000% over 9000, what ever it is, GT5 online activity is vastly higher than GT6.

#16 Edited by KungfuKitten (21130 posts) -

Shutting down a game that soon will only devalue the IP. Who is going to fork over full price for a game that gets shut down in 4 years time. Maybe you won't want to play it by then, maybe you never do that sort of thing. But maybe you would this time, or maybe the new game gets shut down in 2 years. That's bad value.

#17 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4492 posts) -

So why are Sony being so forceful about shutting down the GT5 servers. That's a really cold thing to do.

#18 Edited by TorqueHappens08 (926 posts) -

@KungfuKitten said:

Shutting down a game that soon will only devalue the IP. Who is going to fork over full price for a game that gets shut down in 4 years time. Maybe you won't want to play it by then, maybe you never do that sort of thing. But maybe you would this time, or maybe the new game gets shut down in 2 years. That's bad value.

It pisses me off that sony is shutting down the servers, that's a really dirty move for a last ditch sells effort. i mean that is seriously too early. Who kills a game like this, just because it's vastly more popular and successful then the "newest" installment..

edit: nice litttle message from sony concerning GT5..

As previously mentioned in past announcements, the remaining online services for Gran Turismo 5, including Online Lobby, Seasonal Events, Museum, News, Community, Remote Race, Log in Bonus, Online Dealership and DLC purchase, will no longer be available after 03:00 EDT, 30 May, 2014.

We would like to thank everyone for their passion in supporting Gran Turismo 5’s online services, and we look forward to providing even better online services for Gran Turismo 6.