4A Games puts ND to shame with Metro Redux

• 143 results
#101 Posted by topgunmv (10237 posts) -

@SteXmaN said:
@JangoWuzHere said:

I honestly don't care if they can make the lighting prettier or the particles more detailed. It was always the facial expressions and character animations that were weak in Metro. I would rather see that stuff improved honestly.

There is not much cutscenes in Metro and the NPC movement animations are really solid especially in LL.Anyways,take look at this. Imagine if they had the budget or at least the half of what TLOU had.Not to mention the current situation in Ukraine(Crisis in Ukraine Meant Metro Dev Had to Smuggle Xbox Ones and PS4s Into Country).

They made two amazing FPS games and I'll gladly buy them again(50% off if you own both titles).They really put some effort to it,not like some other devs.2033 is expanded with new areas,it has LL mechanics and engine(new models,new guns,additional encounters etc).If someone deserves it,it's 4A.

It would be nice if they posted a comparison video of the pc versions.

#102 Posted by cainetao11 (17562 posts) -

@SteXmaN said:
@JangoWuzHere said:

I honestly don't care if they can make the lighting prettier or the particles more detailed. It was always the facial expressions and character animations that were weak in Metro. I would rather see that stuff improved honestly.

There is not much cutscenes in Metro and the NPC movement animations are really solid especially in LL.Anyways,take look at this. Imagine if they had the budget or at least the half of what TLOU had.Not to mention the current situation in Ukraine(Crisis in Ukraine Meant Metro Dev Had to Smuggle Xbox Ones and PS4s Into Country).

They made two amazing FPS games and I'll gladly buy them again(50% off if you own both titles).They really put some effort to it,not like some other devs.2033 is expanded with new areas,it has LL mechanics and engine(new models,new guns,additional encounters etc).If someone deserves it,it's 4A.

You know, I didn't even think of that. What the devs may have had to deal with because of the state of their country right now. That's impressive.

#103 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2679 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

Guess which will make more money

#104 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (1408 posts) -

@ShepardCommandr said:

@Blabadon said:

Guess which will be the superior remaster

#105 Posted by BldgIrsh (2584 posts) -

@gpuking: Mmm photo mode is great. Free advertisement for the game and people believe its actual gameplay graphics.

#106 Posted by with_teeth26 (6164 posts) -

@gpuking said:

Er, TLOU remastered still looks awesome even if the upgrade is not generations better due to it's good looking to start off with.

Those are nothing to write home about. Bad depth of field effects in some, crappy textures in others. Only the character models are at all impressive.

not in the same league as Metro LL

#107 Posted by sukraj (22775 posts) -

I'm getting both games so pumped up for Redux.

#108 Posted by Vecna (3394 posts) -

I am not big on remasters; however at least this one does not look like a blatant ripoff. The upgrades and work that went into this is an outstanding value for the price they are charging.

#109 Posted by faizan_faizan (7866 posts) -

Knew this would feature global illumination. Last year, their low budget made them incapable of putting next-gen tech in MLL.

#110 Edited by T-razor1 (1067 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@amazonangry: and your point?

He has no point because it does nothing to refute the damn awesome sauce of that video. All I gotta say to that video is DAYYYYYYYYUUUUUUUUUUM!!! Potty Dog just got exposed!

@4A...'Nuff Respect!! DAY ZERO!!!!!!!

#111 Posted by zeeshanhaider (2547 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@mems_1224 said:

lulz, its funny how all these companies are coming out with better rereleases than TLOU. I guess ND is just like the rest of Sony. Why improve something great when you can halfass it.

Who cares if they didn't add unneccacary throw away graphics effects? They added the essentials. 1080p 60fps, and better textures etc. They wanted to stay as true to the original game as possible. I assume you respect that much.

And what are your views on releasing throw away pre-release trailers that never make it to the final version of the game?

#112 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (4886 posts) -

Both are pretty solid remasters, to be honest. Two well-made remastered single player games (one of which wasn't on the PS3) in one packe, and one well-made remastered game regarded as the best of the generation with some of the best console MP around. Pick of the crop here.

Pre-emptive lemming damage control thread from the fact that Metro Redux on the Xbone is 912p, a whole 12p higher thanks to the new SDKs. Joke console.

#113 Edited by shadiezz2012 (2588 posts) -

so much insecurity in here ....this is why no one come to this place any more ...it feel soo empty and have nothing but trolls from all sides and only very few good posters here

#114 Posted by EducatingU_PCMR (722 posts) -

@lostrib: That's right.

TLOU R = horrible value and a lazy job. Quick cash grab.

#115 Posted by parkurtommo (27054 posts) -

@faizan_faizan said:

Knew this would feature global illumination. Last year, their low budget made them incapable of putting next-gen tech in MLL.

And yet the original Metro LL on PC looks better than most next gen games right now.

#116 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (2418 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Both are pretty solid remasters, to be honest. Two well-made remastered single player games (one of which wasn't on the PS3) in one packe, and one well-made remastered game regarded as the best of the generation with some of the best console MP around. Pick of the crop here.

Pre-emptive lemming damage control thread from the fact that Metro Redux on the Xbone is 912p, a whole 12p higher thanks to the new SDKs. Joke console.

Guess you forgot it's only 1080p on the PS4, with 4K possile on PC. Damage control. Oh boy.

#117 Posted by gpuking (2872 posts) -

@bldgirsh

It is the actual graphics if you played the game, you just get a better angle to see everything, no added AA or higher res effects.

#118 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (4886 posts) -

@deadline-zero0 said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Guess you forgot it's only 1080p on the PS4, with 4K possile on PC. Damage control. Oh boy.

Well obviously. PC master race.

#119 Posted by 2Chalupas (5114 posts) -

@EducatingU_PCMR said:

@slimdogmilionar said:

@leandrro said:

like ND ever had real good gameplay visuals

Hopefully that was just a joke, TLOU was a graphical masterpiece on PS3. But TLOU on PS4 was just a cash grab, Uncharted 4 looks promising though. Uncharted 2 was also another great game from ND.

LOL, no.

TLOU is not even on UC2 level.

It looks like shit, a lot of multiplats look better.

It was honestly hyped to shit in that aspect, even by Digital Foundry, the power of fanboyism I guess, just because it was ND it had to look glorious, but it didn't.

"A lot" of multiplats looked better? How about no... For me, there is only 1 game that technically blew away Last of Us last gen - and that is GTA V. Mostly because it it was so impressive they got an open world game to look and run that well on last gen consoles. Other than that, I would say Last of Us was a solid 2nd most impressive game of last gen.

Last of Us looks at bout the same level as UC2 and UC3, the only difference is UC2 and 3 used alot more color in their environments with some almost cartoon like set areas (comes down to art style). - whereas Last of Us had alot more bleak environments, and dark areas. It might not have had as much eye candy with the type of fantastical areas being visited in the Uncharted franchise, but it technically looked much better than Uncharted 2/3 in pretty much every respect.

#120 Posted by scottpsfan14 (5249 posts) -
@parkurtommo said:

@faizan_faizan said:

And yet the original Metro LL on PC looks better than most next gen games right now.

Woah woah. The hermit fungus is sprouting.. You're turning!!

But yeh. Both Metro 2033 and Last Light look amazing on PC.

#121 Posted by scottpsfan14 (5249 posts) -
@zeeshanhaider said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@mems_1224 said:

lulz, its funny how all these companies are coming out with better rereleases than TLOU. I guess ND is just like the rest of Sony. Why improve something great when you can halfass it.

Who cares if they didn't add unneccacary throw away graphics effects? They added the essentials. 1080p 60fps, and better textures etc. They wanted to stay as true to the original game as possible. I assume you respect that much.

And what are your views on releasing throw away pre-release trailers that never make it to the final version of the game?

I don't konw Zeeshanhaider. All I do know is that the Uncharted 3 trailer in the desert (what people said was pre-rendered CGI) ended up being in real time and during gameplay on the final product just like ND said for the UC4 trailer.

But I don't really care. All I know is that they will deliver with UC4. You don't have to like it. That's fine. Even if it doesn't look much better than Uncharted 3, as long as it's fun to play then I'm set.

Bottom line though: Uncharted games always achieved their trailer graphics. Sure some scenes had change of lighting, but they were not downgrades because it was a pre-rendered cutscene. If Uncharted 4 doesn't achieve the exact graphics of that trailer, then expect it to look superficially like it.

#122 Posted by slimdogmilionar (560 posts) -

@2Chalupas said:

@EducatingU_PCMR said:

@slimdogmilionar said:

@leandrro said:

Hopefully that was just a joke, TLOU was a graphical masterpiece on PS3. But TLOU on PS4 was just a cash grab, Uncharted 4 looks promising though. Uncharted 2 was also another great game from ND.

LOL, no.

It was honestly hyped to shit in that aspect, even by Digital Foundry, the power of fanboyism I guess, just because it was ND it had to look glorious, but it didn't.

"A lot" of multiplats looked better? How about no... For me, there is only 1 game that technically blew away Last of Us last gen - and that is GTA V. Mostly because it it was so impressive they got an open world game to look and run that well on last gen consoles. Other than that, I would say Last of Us was a solid 2nd most impressive game of last gen.

Last of Us looks at bout the same level as UC2 and UC3, the only difference is UC2 and 3 used alot more color in their environments with some almost cartoon like set areas (comes down to art style). - whereas Last of Us had alot more bleak environments, and dark areas. It might not have had as much eye candy with the type of fantastical areas being visited in the Uncharted franchise, but it technically looked much better than Uncharted 2/3 in pretty much every respect.

I was gonna respond to his post but you pretty much hit all the points.

#123 Posted by lostrib (36965 posts) -

@2Chalupas said:

@EducatingU_PCMR said:

@slimdogmilionar said:

@leandrro said:

LOL, no.

I believe he's including PC games, so in that case there would be a lot of multiplats that have better graphics

#124 Edited by Icarian (1489 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

Cows like that milk.

#125 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

@topgunmv said:

@SteXmaN said:
@JangoWuzHere said:

There will be comparisons on youtube within hours of release. Probably before, even.

#126 Posted by topgunmv (10237 posts) -

@the_bi99man said:

@topgunmv said:

@SteXmaN said:
@JangoWuzHere said:

There will be comparisons on youtube within hours of release. Probably before, even.

I won't get 50% off hours after release though (I don't think).

Don't want to rebuy if there are minimal differences.

#127 Posted by stereointegrity (10721 posts) -

@EducatingU_PCMR said:

A humble Ukrainian studio showing Lying Dog how it's done.

$50 for 2 remastered games with better graphics, AI and gameplay coming to PS4, XO and PC vs $50 for 1 upres'd game ported to only 1 platform.

lol ND

u do realize this already had pc code written....its easier to port over a pc game to like pc architecture.

its not as easy to port over a cell written game to ps4.......

#128 Posted by zeeshanhaider (2547 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@mems_1224 said:

I don't konw Zeeshanhaider. All I do know is that the Uncharted 3 trailer in the desert (what people said was pre-rendered CGI) ended up being in real time and during gameplay on the final product just like ND said for the UC4 trailer.

But I don't really care. All I know is that they will deliver with UC4. You don't have to like it. That's fine. Even if it doesn't look much better than Uncharted 3, as long as it's fun to play then I'm set.

Bottom line though: Uncharted games always achieved their trailer graphics. Sure some scenes had change of lighting, but they were not downgrades because it was a pre-rendered cutscene. If Uncharted 4 doesn't achieve the exact graphics of that trailer, then expect it to look superficially like it.

I don't know what people said about UC3 trailer. But I do know that the train scene in UC2 how it was portrayed in VGA trailer was significantly downgraded in the final game with reduced lighting, reduced geometry, low resolution textures and so on.

And UC3 many onrails scenes was not the same how it was advertised, in the final product they were completely changed, the animations were changed, hell the entire camera positions were different with reduced geometry.

So no, Uncharted games have never achieved their trailer graphics. They do the same BS Ubisoft does, the only thing is cows don't complain because it's teh PS EXCLUZIVEZZZZ.

#129 Posted by ttboy (297 posts) -

@MlauTheDaft said:

Well.... Apparently, porting TLOU was a nightmare due to highly specific ps3 optimization.

It's two different kinds of beasts, IMO.

Not sure that I understand this argument from them. If its that optimized then re-code it. Its not a nightmare if you completely redo the optimization especially when the target hardware has a lot more power. It only becomes a nightmare if you want some how keep the majority of PS3 specific code.. IMO

#130 Posted by ttboy (297 posts) -

@hoosier7 said:

I think the fact that TLoU was a PS3 game really screwed ND over, the PS3 was always a pain to port to, must be a nightmare to pull a game that's been built from the ground up on the PS3 to the more PC based architecture of the PS4.

Games like Tomb Raider and Metro are probably take a lot less time as they've got PC versions they can shift from.

If you do a re-write it shouldn't be a big deal. If you don't then it becomes a pain. You don't when you want to save time.

#131 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3761 posts) -

@ttboy said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

Well.... Apparently, porting TLOU was a nightmare due to highly specific ps3 optimization.

Not sure that I understand this argument from them. If its that optimized then re-code it. Its not a nightmare if you completely redo the optimization especially when the target hardware has a lot more power. It only becomes a nightmare if you want some how keep the majority of PS3 specific code.. IMO

Redoing large parts of the code was probably why it was nightmarish.

Remember that scene in Apollo 13, where they need to fit a square shaped filter into a circle shaped socket; in space without the appropriate tools? That's actually a very apt analogy, IMO. Even on small scale projects, a significant chance can mean that pretty much nothing works (correctly or at all).

“I wish we had a button that was like ‘Turn On PS4 Mode’, but no,” creative director Neil Druckmann says. “We expected it to be Hell, and it was Hell. Just getting an image onscreen, even an inferior one with the shadows broken, lighting broken and with it crashing every 30 seconds… that took a long time. These engineers are some of the best in the industry and they optimised the game so much for the PS3’s SPUs specifically. It was optimised on a binary level, but after shifting those things over [to PS4] you have to go back to the high level, make sure the [game] systems are intact, and optimise it again."

#132 Edited by ttboy (297 posts) -
@MlauTheDaft said:

@ttboy said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

Redoing large parts of the code was probably why it was nightmarish.

Remember that scene in Apollo 13, where they need to fit a square shaped filter into a circle shaped socket; in space without the appropriate tools? That's actually a very apt analogy, IMO. Even on small scale projects, a significant chance can mean that pretty much nothing works (correctly or at all).

“I wish we had a button that was like ‘Turn On PS4 Mode’, but no,” creative director Neil Druckmann says. “We expected it to be Hell, and it was Hell. Just getting an image onscreen, even an inferior one with the shadows broken, lighting broken and with it crashing every 30 seconds… that took a long time. These engineers are some of the best in the industry and they optimised the game so much for the PS3’s SPUs specifically. It was optimised on a binary level, but after shifting those things over [to PS4] you have to go back to the high level, make sure the [game] systems are intact, and optimise it again."

It sounds like they just retrofitted the old engine on the PS4 and had to re-engineer the low level PS3 optimization. They could've bitten the bullet and forked the current alpha uncharted 4 engine and do a proper re-write of the last of us. I guess it depends how far along the new engine is but they wouldn't need a 1.0 version of it.

Why would they have to re-optimize after going back to high level? The PS4 should be able to brute force anything that game did on the old machine. Given two choices Product Management always chooses the cheapest one not the right one.

#133 Posted by faizan_faizan (7866 posts) -

@parkurtommo said:

@faizan_faizan said:

Knew this would feature global illumination. Last year, their low budget made them incapable of putting some high quality tech in MLL.

I should have phrased that correctly. It should be fixed now.

#134 Posted by clone01 (24749 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Why does this seem to matter to you so much? I mean, really, this is literally all you talk about.

#135 Edited by sukraj (22775 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Yeah looks awesome. Can't wait to play them again!

I never played Metro 2033 before and I only played a bit of metro last light but I never completed the game so I'm looking forward to these games.

#136 Posted by soapandbubbles (3082 posts) -

they wanted to improve TLOU:R graphics...if they were given more time according to a developer. which is a shame. an A.I upgrade would have been sweet as well.

#137 Edited by bezza2011 (2521 posts) -

was intrigued until I realized that the game was on PC anyway so very easy to make it look amazing from a PC stand point, ND had to recode a PS3 game which was built from the grand up with the Cell Processor in mind and was hard enough getting a single bit of code to even work on the PS4, this argument is silly.

#138 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (4886 posts) -

@clone01 said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Why does this seem to matter to you so much? I mean, really, this is literally all you talk about.

Don't be too salty.

#139 Posted by tormentos (18114 posts) -

@deadline-zero0 said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.... Sad lemming how many people can play it 4k 60 fps.?lol

The fact that you run scare to hide on PC every time your precious xbox one get beating is a joke,each and every time you defend the xbox one each and every time you hide on PC you are not a hermit you are a sad lemming hiding on PC we have many some how this gen...hahaha

#140 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (2418 posts) -

@tormentos said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.... Sad lemming how many people can play it 4k 60 fps.?lol

The fact that you run scare to hide on PC every time your precious xbox one get beating is a joke,each and every time you defend the xbox one each and every time you hide on PC you are not a hermit you are a sad lemming hiding on PC we have many some how this gen...hahaha

Meanwhile on my PC, Watch Dogs 1080p, max, 30fps.

#141 Posted by tormentos (18114 posts) -

@deadline-zero0 said:

Don't you mean on your fantasy land.?

Yeah i know i have a PC to that can run it at 1080p,now how does that change the fact that almost no one can play it 4k 60FPS.?

How does it change the fact that the majority of PC gamers can't run it like the PS4,and that 47% of steam can run it because the game demands 4 core minimum and they have dual core..lol

Like i told you man you fool no one...lol

#142 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (2418 posts) -

@tormentos said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

Don't you mean on your fantasy land.?

Very Tomato-ish reply

Yeah i know i have a PC to that can run it at 1080p,now how does that change the fact that almost no one can play it 4k 60FPS.?

I don't remember saying 4K/60fps. My rig probably can't do 4k at 30fps. The main difference, however, is that if i ever which it to run at that resolution, i can simply upgrade my machine, get a 4K TV and i'm good to go. In fact, assuming prices for 55-65 inch tvs are under 1000 euros eventually, i'll probably be getting one.

How does it change the fact that the majority of PC gamers can't run it like the PS4,and that 47% of steam can run it because the game demands 4 core minimum and they have dual core..lol

And? How does that change the fact that less than 10% of PS3 gamers have a PS4? Why would i give a shit about what most people ahve. The point is, on pc, they can if they wish. On consoles, nope

Like i told you man you fool no one...lol

lol, tomato

#143 Posted by clone01 (24749 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@clone01 said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Don't be too salty.

I'm not at all...its a simple question. I'm guessing this persona of yours is a schtick. I just figured most people would get bored doing the same thing over and over again.

#144 Posted by foxhound_fox (88336 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

Definitely not Metro.

#145 Posted by dino7c (98 posts) -

Metro is not improved at all graphics wise compared to the original PC version...this thread makes zero sense

Both games are also on the PS4 so WTF is the point?