$400 Gaming PC stronger than PS4 & 2016 Gaming PC's vs PS4

• 165 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#151 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

@lostrib said:

@lundy86_4 said:

Why would I put myself through the horror of that PC?

pyromania?

With that system, it seems about right. At least it's good for the Winter, as you'll be nice and toasty as you burn to death.

This is what I don't understand. PC gamers on here that try and pedal these really cheap builds. Thats like a car salesmen saying "You could be driving this awesome sports car", only to be find that its got a moped engine under the hood.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#152 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

@clyde46 said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@lostrib said:

@lundy86_4 said:

Why would I put myself through the horror of that PC?

pyromania?

With that system, it seems about right. At least it's good for the Winter, as you'll be nice and toasty as you burn to death.

This is what I don't understand. PC gamers on here that try and pedal these really cheap builds. Thats like a car salesmen saying "You could be driving this awesome sports car", only to be find that its got a moped engine under the hood.

I understand wanting to save money, but there's such a thing as going too far.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#153 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

I use a cheap PC, but not that cheap.

But a gaming PC doesn't need to be cheaper than a console. It just needs to be cheaper than a PC and a console since the gaming PC can not only do everything any old desktop/laptop can do (much faster), but can also play way more games, and play all multiplats far better than other systems can.

That's where I'm at as far as pricing goes (assuming someone wants some new hardware).

Though in reality the consoles don't seem worth it at any point. Spending $400-$500 on consoles that are getting anywhere from one to maybe two whole exclusives per year, and then spending $50+ a year to play those games online sounds like a huge waste. It doesn't seem worth it to pick up a PS4 or Xbox One even if it might cost a couple hundred more dollars for a nice gaming PC ($600-$700 is a good starting point imo).

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

@papatrop said:

I use a cheap PC, but not that cheap.

But a gaming PC doesn't need to be cheaper than a console. It just needs to be cheaper than a PC and a console since the gaming PC can not only do everything any old desktop/laptop can do (much faster), but can also play way more games, and play all multiplats far better than other systems can.

That's where I'm at as far as pricing goes (assuming someone wants some new hardware).

Though in reality the consoles don't seem worth it at any point. Spending $400-$500 on consoles that are getting anywhere from one to maybe two whole exclusives per year, and then spending $50+ a year to play those games online sounds like a huge waste. It doesn't seem worth it to pick up a PS4 or Xbox One even if it might cost a couple hundred more dollars for a nice gaming PC ($600-$700 is a good starting point imo).

It depends on who you talk to, most of the PC gamers who are proven consistent pc gamers in this thread are saying this is a terrible build. Im not sure who is really siding with this as a legit option. I was a pc gamer for a while before I started working on my degree again. I decided that I want to continue gaming but I didn't have the time for my PC gaming habit. I wanted something that when I need to blow off steam I can come home turn on and jump right into a game. Thats why I bough a console and thats why most people buy consoles convenience. You can argue to your blue in the face "well my pc can do that, and it can do this" but nothing beats the rapid and low maintenance of a console. Thats what makes it worth it of course this is my opinion.

Yrkoon99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Yrkoon99
Member since 2007 • 494 Posts

at least budget in a decent psu or your pc could take a nasty dump on all your hardware, and at least a quad core cpu, no complaints about case etc im using a cheap 30 quid one but my psu was 60 quid and my latest gpu i have is a 270x so no problem with that either, as its running every thing maxed or near max at 1200p :)

my quad core cpu is low powered now a days but still better than the crap thats in the new consoles, my m8 upgraded from the intel equivalent of mine to a new i5 and he didnt notice a difference cept for some games the fps had a higher min fps, im running a phenom II 955 and all new games i have tried run good on it, so no idea why your suggesting a dual core cpu when so many games want a quad these days, and my cpu is cheap as hell, i got it in 2009 lol

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#156 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@Gue1 said:

@cainetao11 said:

@lostrib said:

@farrell2k said:

Well, that's the point. Equally priced pc hardware is already more powerful. There is no competition. And, yes, if you have ever been to America you would see that it is a shit hole, but for other reasons, like our terrible health care system, out of control gun violence due to a terrible 200+ year old constitutional amendment, inequality between the rich and poor, and our conservative political parties that want to keep us 200 years in the past. Our pc hardware pricing is pretty nice.

if you think America is a shit hole, you might need to get some global perspective

Well said. Don't get me wrong, my country has a ton of problems. And I am very vocal about them in the proper place. But calling it a "shit hole" is a stretch. N. Korea is a shit hole

puerto rico is another shithole, and I know because I live there. Crime, corruption and poverty is the order of the day here.

I've only been there as a tourist. Sorry to hear it dude. At least the women look great.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@HaloinventedFPS said:

All from Microcenter

"But you have to Include Windows" Why don't you include the monthly fee for PSN+? $60 for Windows 7 which is equal to 1 year of PSN+

PS4 vs a high end 2016 Gaming PC

GPU: Custom 7970M vs High end Nvidia Pascal - Pascal is going to be a massive leap over current GPU's (Kelper) possibly the biggest in history, high end Kelper is already 3x faster than PS4's GPU

Pascal also comes with 5 new features, DX12, low level API like Consoles have, 2nd Generation Project Denver, a ARM CPU on the GPU, Unified Memory, NVlink, which takes away the 1 advantage Consoles have over PC, an advantage Mark Cerny loves to brag about & last but not least HBM memory, much more faster than GDDR5 memory

Who knows how much more powerful a high end Pascal GPU will be exactly, 10x faster would be a safe bet, wouldn't be surprised if it's even 15x

CPU: Custom A4-5000 vs i7 Cannonlake - Not sure on Skylake's improvement over Haswell, possibly up to 15x faster, minimum 10x faster

RAM: Unified 5GB GDDR5 vs Unified 64GB DDR4 & HBM - 30% Faster- 13x more memory

HDD: 500GB 5400RPM vs 4TB Sata Express SSD - 100x faster (Yup you read right, 100x), 8x more memory

Resolution: 900p vs 4K - Almost 6x more pixels

Also, in 2016 you could build a $200 PC more powerful than PS4, AMD's next gen APU with DDR4, PS4 will probably be $300 in 2016

From http://tech4gamers.com/amds-volcanic-islands-2-0-graphics-cards-will-equip-with-hbm-memory/

AMD's Volcanic Islands 2.0 is also equipped with HBM (stack memory).

"The next chips that come out at the end of the year will be based on the current architecture Volcanic Island with HBM memory and would wear Codenamed: Iceland, Tonga and Maui. It would then land the new architecture Pirate Island in 2015 should usher etching 20 nm."

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@ronvalencia said:

@HaloinventedFPS said:

All from Microcenter

"But you have to Include Windows" Why don't you include the monthly fee for PSN+? $60 for Windows 7 which is equal to 1 year of PSN+

GPU: Custom 7970M vs High end Nvidia Pascal - Pascal is going to be a massive leap over current GPU's (Kelper) possibly the biggest in history, high end Kelper is already 3x faster than PS4's GPU

Pascal also comes with 5 new features, DX12, low level API like Consoles have, 2nd Generation Project Denver, a ARM CPU on the GPU, Unified Memory, NVlink, which takes away the 1 advantage Consoles have over PC, an advantage Mark Cerny loves to brag about & last but not least HBM memory, much more faster than GDDR5 memory

Who knows how much more powerful a high end Pascal GPU will be exactly, 10x faster would be a safe bet, wouldn't be surprised if it's even 15x

CPU: Custom A4-5000 vs i7 Cannonlake - Not sure on Skylake's improvement over Haswell, possibly up to 15x faster, minimum 10x faster

HDD: 500GB 5400RPM vs 4TB Sata Express SSD - 100x faster (Yup you read right, 100x), 8x more memory

Also, in 2016 you could build a $200 PC more powerful than PS4, AMD's next gen APU with DDR4, PS4 will probably be $300 in 2016

From http://tech4gamers.com/amds-volcanic-islands-2-0-graphics-cards-will-equip-with-hbm-memory/

"The next chips that come out at the end of the year will be based on the current architecture Volcanic Island with HBM memory and would wear Codenamed: Iceland, Tonga and Maui. It would then land the new architecture Pirate Island in 2015 should usher etching 20 nm."

Aaaaaaannnnnnnnnddddddd AMD is still shit.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@clyde46 said:

@ronvalencia said:

@HaloinventedFPS said:

All from Microcenter

Aaaaaaannnnnnnnnddddddd AMD is still shit.

Your post is shit.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

Why do people even propose these terrible builds, as if anyone would make them?

Until cheap, low-power graphics cards are capable of exceeding the PS4's power, no one should look twice at a $400 PC build. And that is years off (and by 2016, the PS4 will be $299 anyway).

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

For $600 you can put together a Pc with good quality parts with FX 6300, 8gb if ram and an overclocked 270x that's faster then 7950.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@Shielder7 said:

@HaloinventedFPS said:

All from Microcenter

Try playing your games without windows.

You can play a lot of Steam and other games on Ubuntu Linux which is free and can be installed without an optical drive, games on Linux is growing fast.

Examples of Steam Games on Linux - The Witcher 2, Left For Dead 2, Portal 2, Football Manager 2014, Metro Last Light, Amensia.

Its not bad still more game choice than current generation consoles

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#163  Edited By True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

@Wasdie said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

Do you remember the PC it took to match 360s graphics in November 2005?

Simply because the PCs did not have GPUs with unified shaders. Once the first string of those hit literally the next year, PCs were already far more powerful than consoles.

The 360 was the first product on the market with a unified shader architecture and very early Xbox 360 games like Gears of War took full advantage of that. It was the last time a game console was actually more capable than a PC.

Let me reiterate what I said. Games aren't built around GPUs, they are built around CPU and RAM limitations. The consoles no longer have those bottlenecks. The GPUs in the PS4 and Xbox One can run games at a high enough graphic fidelity where they won't compromise gameplay anymore. The notion that the PS4 and Xbox One will hold back PC gaming is basically absurd.

The only real thing holding back gaming is publishers. That was actually the root of 90% of the problems last gen. Yet PC gamers blamed the consoles because they are an easy target.

The cost of such GPU was astronomical.

This gen we arent seeing anything similar to last gen GPU wise.... The Bone ought to have at least a 290 imagine how the games would have looked like...

But it doesnt. MS/Sony didnt want to make $700/$800 machines and sell them at $400-$500....Oddly last gen they wanted and they did...and the gen before that....

Now you say that doesnt matter? That a 290 in an Xbone/PS4 would have made no difference? I seriously doubt that.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@SakusEnvoy said:

Until cheap, low-power graphics cards are capable of exceeding the PS4's power, no one should look twice at a $400 PC build. And that is years off (and by 2016, the PS4 will be $299 anyway).

That's what I said. A real PC Gamer will always pay more then $400 to build their gaming rig. No real PC gamer would build one for $400 or less. That's just dumb. I wish I had the money to finish building mine.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@blackace said:

@SakusEnvoy said:

That's what I said. A real PC Gamer will always pay more then $400 to build their gaming rig. No real PC gamer would build one for $400 or less. That's just dumb. I wish I had the money to finish building mine.

so what's the monetary cut off to be a PC gamer?

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

@lostrib said:

@blackace said:

@SakusEnvoy said:

so what's the monetary cut off to be a PC gamer?

I guess we should ask the poor PC dominated countries...The rich countries just love their cheap consoles....go figure...

KrisCarrol57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By KrisCarrol57
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@blackace: These build aren't meant for experienced PC gamers, if that's what you mean by "real" PC gamers. They're aimed towards newcomers who don't want to spend a lot on their build or for kids/teens who don't have jobs and $400 is a lot for them to save.

If I were to even attempt to build this I would probably replace the MOBO with the H81M that I found from this build. It is a cheap board that allows overclocking. Although, I don't know if I would rather go with the R9-270(from this post) or the R7-260x(from the link). One is a little cheaper, while the other is a little more powerful. What would you guys suggest?

Link : http://www.toptengamer.com/top-300-gaming-pc-build/

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

So your method to figuring out how powerful that will be is to say well this and this are this powerful and using my math this 400 dollar thing will be this powerful?

I also love the shitty components specially the case which you picked.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

This topic is 3 months old. No need to bump it.