$400 Gaming PC stronger than PS4 & 2016 Gaming PC's vs PS4

• 161 results
#1 Edited by HaloinventedFPS (4723 posts) -

All from Microcenter

"But you have to Include Windows" Why don't you include the monthly fee for PSN+? $60 for Windows 7 which is equal to 1 year of PSN+

PS4 vs a high end 2016 Gaming PC

GPU: Custom 7970M vs High end Nvidia Pascal - Pascal is going to be a massive leap over current GPU's (Kelper) possibly the biggest in history, high end Kelper is already 3x faster than PS4's GPU

Pascal also comes with 5 new features, DX12, low level API like Consoles have, 2nd Generation Project Denver, a ARM CPU on the GPU, Unified Memory, NVlink, which takes away the 1 advantage Consoles have over PC, an advantage Mark Cerny loves to brag about & last but not least HBM memory, much more faster than GDDR5 memory

Who knows how much more powerful a high end Pascal GPU will be exactly, 10x faster would be a safe bet, wouldn't be surprised if it's even 15x

CPU: Custom A4-5000 vs i7 Cannonlake - Not sure on Skylake's improvement over Haswell, possibly up to 15x faster, minimum 10x faster

RAM: Unified 5GB GDDR5 vs Unified 64GB DDR4 & HBM - 30% Faster- 13x more memory

HDD: 500GB 5400RPM vs 4TB Sata Express SSD - 100x faster (Yup you read right, 100x), 8x more memory

Resolution: 900p vs 4K - Almost 6x more pixels

Also, in 2016 you could build a $200 PC more powerful than PS4, AMD's next gen APU with DDR4, PS4 will probably be $300 in 2016

#2 Posted by topgunmv (10205 posts) -

You don't need ps+ to play a ps4.

Also isn't that a dual core processor?

#3 Edited by lostrib (35708 posts) -

The CPU is instore pickup only...and then you only get that price on the motherboard when you purchase the CPU and MoBo together

also, you seem to be missing some components

And there's not all that many Microcenters in the US. Heck there's only one left in the state of California. Looks like they're only in 16 states with mostly 1 or 2 stores each

#4 Posted by MonsieurX (29975 posts) -

@lostrib: PSU is included in the case(it might explode)

Not sure where you're supposed to get legally Windows for 60$

#6 Posted by lostrib (35708 posts) -

and you'd need a second PC to install windows then since there's no optical drive

#7 Posted by farrell2k (5853 posts) -

Not everyone even uses windows, and anyone who has already bought a modern copy of it is free to transfer it between PCs. I have done this since 2009. I posted a build last week for $359 with shipping that outperformed the ps4, but only barely. That price will likely fall to $325 in the next six months. This should not surprise anyone. Oh, but prepare for the horde of rabid consolites who will deny all of it. They are almost as fervent in their denial of reality as the young earth creationists and global warming deniers are...

#8 Edited by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -

@HaloinventedFPS said:

All from Microcenter

"But you have to Include Windows" Why don't you include the monthly fee for PSN+? $60 for Windows 7 which is equal to 1 year of PSN+

Because PSN+ although essential for Some Game online (not all) Isn't required to play the game. Try playing your games without windows. I'd also rather have 8GB of GDDR5 instead of just 2GB than with LOL DDR3 for gaming and That's a dual core processor.

But if you want to get nit-picky

- Shipping and handling cost

- The gas to pick up the last part

- You forgot the (Gaming) Keyboard and mouse (Yes there is a difference)

- Some way to power it up

- A better processor

- The Controller for those of us who like controller

- The Monitor (don't give me that everyone hooks it up to their TV BS)

- Windows

- Some way to instal windows

- And the internet charge because you need to download all your games since any hermit will tell you you need to be on Steam and download your games. With Consoles and hard copies it's actually still optional.

#9 Posted by glez13 (8760 posts) -

How are you gonna power that up?

#10 Posted by topgunmv (10205 posts) -

30$ case with a power supply?

It's probably a 9 volt battery taped inside.

#11 Posted by Pray_to_me (2837 posts) -

So I can buy all these parts and build some big fugly PoS with no windows? Or I can get a PS4 that comes already fully assembled and includes a free DS4 and bluray player? I'll stick with the PS4 bish.

#12 Posted by lostrib (35708 posts) -

Not everyone even uses windows, and anyone who has already bought a modern copy of it is free to transfer it between PCs.

Lol, no

#13 Edited by lostrib (35708 posts) -

@topgunmv said:

@MonsieurX said:

it's diablotek, so have fun with your house fire

#14 Posted by NVIDIATI (7663 posts) -

You can get Windows 8.1 Pro for $69 USD from the Microsoft Store if you're a student. Otherwise, I'm not sure.

#15 Posted by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -

Not everyone even uses windows,

For gaming on PCs they do, if not WTF are you going to play?

#16 Posted by lostrib (35708 posts) -

@NVIDIATI said:

@MonsieurX said:

You can get Windows 8.1 Pro for $69 USD from the Microsoft Store if you're a student. Otherwise, I'm not sure.

he's going to recommend ebay or some unheard of webstore

#17 Posted by Zethrickk382 (136 posts) -

Anyone who would buy/ piece that shit together over buying a ps4 would be moronic. You should feel ashamed spreading this kind of fud. lol

#18 Posted by lostrib (35708 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

the hundreds of games on linux?

#19 Posted by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -
@lostrib said:

@topgunmv said:

@MonsieurX said:

it's diablotek, so have fun with your house fire

How can there be a house fire when there's no way to plug it in? Maybe that's the whole idea since he's not using windows and hardly any games to play anyway so what would be the point.

Either that or he plans to hook it up to a bicycle.............

#20 Posted by HaloinventedFPS (4723 posts) -

Lol i knew all Console gamers would say you HAVE to buy Windows, what's the bet these Console gamers are using a pirated version of Windows anyway

#21 Edited by Daious (1239 posts) -

Consoles come with controllers and OS installed.

You can pick up the ram cheaper and you can get a 1tb harddrive for 35-45 dollars. You forgot a powersupply.

My build was pretty pricey Rocking out i7+2x780ti. I should really make the upgrade to 1440p. I would get the 1440 144hz if it supported freesync (even though I use nvidia but I might switch once 20nm drops).

#22 Posted by NVIDIATI (7663 posts) -

@topgunmv said:

isn't that a dual core processor?

Yes, but it's quite powerful when overclocked (it's stable at 4.4 GHz on stock cooling).

#23 Posted by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Shielder7 said:

@farrell2k said:

Would you build a machine just to play linux games?

#24 Posted by handssss (1834 posts) -

@NVIDIATI said:

@MonsieurX said:

if your school/college doesn't suck, you can likely download it for free from the school website. My college offers WIndows 7-8.1, the entirety of 2013 office, and several other programs overpriced as fuck.

#25 Posted by sam890 (1108 posts) -

I'm sick of this $400 build buillshit threads, just stop.

#26 Edited by HaloinventedFPS (4723 posts) -
@daious said:

Consoles come with controllers and OS installed.

You can pick up the ram cheaper and you can get a 1tb harddrive for 35-45 dollars. You forgot a powersupply.

My build was pretty pricey Rocking out i7+2x780ti. I should really make the upgrade to 1440p. I would get the 1440 144hz if it supported freesync (even though I use nvidia but I might switch once 20nm drops).

Consoles come with 1 Controller, Another one is $50, when a KB/M Combo is $10, everyone has a KB/M anyway, yes they come with an OS, but they also come with a monthly fee, which Windows doesn't

You can't pick up cheaper ram or HDD, unless you get a crappy 5400RPM HDD like PS4, Case has a 400W PSU, this build won't even use 200W's

#27 Posted by HaloinventedFPS (4723 posts) -

@sam890: All i hear is

"Stop proving my fallacy about needing a $1500 PC to beat PS4 wrong"

#28 Posted by melonfarmerz (1143 posts) -

@topgunmv said:

But then you don't get the full experience. I can just as easily say you don't need Windows, you can run Hackintosh or Linux

#29 Edited by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -

Lol i knew all Console gamers would say you HAVE to buy Windows, what's the bet these Console gamers are using a pirated version of Windows anyway

Pretty low since most prebuilt PCs, labtops tablets etc come with windows installed. Unless of course we built our PC which would probably make us PC gamers as well and defeat the point of this thread.

#30 Edited by melonfarmerz (1143 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:

@lostrib said:

@Shielder7 said:

@farrell2k said:

Would you buy a PS4 just to play single player?

#31 Posted by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -

@topgunmv said:

But then you don't get the full experience. I can just as easily say you don't need Windows, you can run Hackintosh or Linux

Unless of course it's a single player game only, and if the game doesn't support Linux you're not going to get any experience.

#32 Posted by topgunmv (10205 posts) -

@topgunmv said:

Not being able to play online isn't the same as not being able to play the majority of games.

#33 Posted by Ghost120x (3791 posts) -

LOL great read. Thread fail.

#34 Posted by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -
when a KB/M Combo is $10,

Find me a gaming KB/M combo that's 10. Key word GAMING

#35 Posted by lostrib (35708 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Shielder7 said:

@farrell2k said:

no, i think it's supremely stupid every time they bring all this shit up

#36 Posted by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:

@lostrib said:

@Shielder7 said:

@farrell2k said:

Yes

#37 Posted by melonfarmerz (1143 posts) -

@melonfarmerz said:

@Shielder7 said:

@lostrib said:

Yes

Ok, then I guess I would build a machine to play Linux games only. That's what a Steam Box is anyways.

#38 Posted by foxhound_fox (88047 posts) -

It doesn't matter how much the components cost. Buying a game a month for an entire console generation (6 years) is a savings of $720. That isn't even taking into account Steam/GOG sales.

#39 Posted by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:

@melonfarmerz said:

@Shielder7 said:

@lostrib said:

Yes

Ok, then I guess I would build a machine to play Linux games only. That's what a Steam Box is anyways.

Seriously Because I wasn't kidding. I usually don't even touch the multiplayer aspect of games and that's when it was free. Even if there's a game that comes out I do want to play the MP like Demon Souls I have more than enough PSN+ vouchers to get my fix.

#40 Posted by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -

@sam890 said:

What? hermits aren't supposed to criticize the $400 PC

#41 Posted by lostrib (35708 posts) -

@HaloinventedFPS said:

why? a regular KB/M will work fine. It doesn't need to be "gaming" branded

#42 Edited by lostrib (35708 posts) -

@sam890 said:

seconded

#43 Posted by Dom_Hawk_basic (404 posts) -

@HaloinventedFPS:

Actual ouldn't expect the PS4 to drop that much in price in the next few years unless Microsoft forces their feet to the fire, the reason for this being that the PS4 is the better selling of the two consoles, and then you have the fact that Sony as a whole corporate entity is not in the best financial shape.

Additionally, I would like to point out that Kepler cards all the way back to the 600 series perhaps as far back as the 400 series will be compatible with DX12, which is the low level API in which you spoke.

I don't think the question should be can you build a more powerful computer for the same price, but rather will the games built today take advantage of computers that have more power.

As both a console and PC gamer, I have bought multiple copies of the same game on multiple Platforms (I.E. Mass Effect) on the 360 that game is slow and muddy (although it looked good for its day(2007)). However, if you are running Mass Effect at Ultra settings on a high nay ultra level PC from 2012,, I'd say, besides a few shadow tricks I might confuse that game for an Xbox One or PS4 game of today.

With that being said, I can throw all the money I want into a computer to make it the most powerful/beautiful thing out there, but if the software doesn't have differences which take advantage of it, and if that means i'm looking at a lazy straight port o fthe game then why did I bother in the first place.

#44 Posted by GodspellWH (420 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Shielder7 said:
@HaloinventedFPS said:

Yep Been pc gaming for a long time and never felt the need to get a gaming keyboard

#45 Edited by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Shielder7 said:
@HaloinventedFPS said:

Come on even a half decent regular KB/M combo is more than $10 and trying to game with such a cheap mouse would like be trying to do open heart surgery with 3 fingers.

#46 Posted by commonfate (12255 posts) -

Who would actually want to play on that?

#47 Edited by lostrib (35708 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Shielder7 said:
@HaloinventedFPS said:

Come on even a half decent regular KB/M combo is more than $10 and trying to game with such a cheap mouse would like be trying to do open heart surgery with 3 fingers.

i'd imagine a combo would be more like $20, but still a "gaming" kb/m is not necessary

#48 Posted by lostrib (35708 posts) -

Who would actually want to play on that?

masochism?

#49 Edited by MK-Professor (3785 posts) -

Console gamers have no wear to hide.

+ 1, for the CPU choice (based on new Haswell architecture) and if you OC it around 4,5GHz you will have the best perfomance (per thread) than ANY CPU.

- 1, for the PSU choice, I will add 30$ for a better one.

#50 Posted by lostrib (35708 posts) -

Console gamers have no wear to hide.

+ 1, for the CPU choice (based on new Haswell architecture) and if you OC it around 4,5GHz you will have the best perfomance (per thread) than ANY CPU.

- 1, for the PSU choice, I will add 30$ for a better one.

they have no what?