3DS vs. Wii U

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by kgb1234 (462 posts) -

So I've been very close to buying a 3DS for a few weeks now. I noticed how many quality titles came out for the DS when compared to the Wii, and it seems to be very in favor of the DS. It seems that the 3DS is picking up some serious steam now and has me thinking that the portable device in the end offers more than the Wii U ever will. Obviously the Wii U has barely been out, but I'm just speculating with the comparison of DS vs. Wii titles. So, my questions are:

3DS or 3DSxl? I know the resolution isnt adjusted for the larger screen size found on the 3DSxl, but does it make much of a difference?

I'll probably get Kid Icarus, RE Revelations, mario kart and mario land to start. Are there any solid RPGs coming out? (similar to FF, not into strategy games like Fire Emblem)

Do you think the DS served you better overall with gaming experiences than the Wii, and do you see the 3DS likely doing the same over the Wii U?

Thanks!

#2 Posted by charizard1605 (55659 posts) -

Get a 3DS. Much better pre existing library, much cheaper, more features as of now, better future support, first AND third party, and the Wii U is almost assuredly going to get a price drop soon.

3DS now, Wii U later when there actually is a reason to pick one up.

EDIT: To answer your other question, if you are getting a 3DS, make sure to get an XL; it has better battery life, better backwards compatibility with the original DS and DSi, and of course, bigger and better screens.

#3 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -
3DS XL >>> 3DS 3DS RPG list As for the Wii, I would wait for more games and a price drop personally...
#4 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
3ds xl.. dont buy a wii u at this current time...it would be like pouring petrol on your money and then burning it, along with your house.
#5 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24657 posts) -

3DS or 3DS XL has a much more promising presence than WiiU at this time.

#7 Posted by Samus3D (1675 posts) -

These are some great RPGs coming to North America.

Fire Emblem: Kakusei [Japan Import]

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity

#9 Posted by Heirren (16314 posts) -
3ds will be remodeled. Get wiiu if you ae b using one of the two.
#10 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

I'd give the WiiU some more time that it gets more worthwhile and "heavy-hitter" exclusives and games and a possible price cut and then consider it.

#11 Posted by clr84651 (5352 posts) -

Wii U is a fail.

#12 Posted by SuperFlakeman (7342 posts) -

All I read was 3DS, 3DS, DS and 3DS in the OP.

Seems like you should get a 3DS.

Wii U is only recommended if you are into the more AAA side of Nintendo; Mario Galaxy sequel, Retro Studios new game, Monolith Soft, Bayonetta 2; that sort of thing.

If Mario 3D Land is as good as Galaxy 2 to you, then 3DS all the way.

If Mario 3D Land is merely a cool side thing compared to Galaxy 2, you might want to wait until E3.

#13 Posted by SuperFlakeman (7342 posts) -

On 3DS you get this:

--

SML_0012.jpg

SML_0010.jpg

KIU_0027.jpg

PLM_0004.jpg

RER_0003.jpg

MK7_0022.jpg

TFF_0004.jpg

--

On Wii U you get this:

--

File:NSMBUMountain.jpg

The Wonderful 101 507c9dd5f49156dc139d9ff7

Rayman Legends 5078c04a96704b65854422f6

Pikmin 3 4fce5ed3369c26331eacfd86

Nintendo Land 5078be09f49156dc139d9ed6Nintendo Land 5078be0af49156dc139d9ed9bayonetta-2-wii-u-exclusivo.jpg

b9vkki.gif

#14 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -

b9vkki.gif

SuperFlakeman
Wii U Zelda is going to be epic... :D
#15 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34130 posts) -

The 3DS naturally has a much larger library since it has been out much longer, so get that.

The Wii U is still slacking in it's library since it is still a new console, so give it some time and wait.

#16 Posted by 22Toothpicks (11279 posts) -

The 3DS naturally has a much larger library since it has been out much longer, so get that.

The Wii U is still slacking in it's library since it is still a new console, so give it some time and wait.

DJ-Lafleur
yeah for fvcks sake people are crazy if they expected the wii u to have great launch titles (has any console ever launhed with multliple "great" titles?). we should be patient. i can't wait to see what nintendo has in store for us late this year. but what i really want to see is 3rd parties making an effort and making original games and not just porting 360 games over.
#17 Posted by loosingENDS (11775 posts) -

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

b9vkki.gif

superclocked

Only they said will be nothing like that and closer to the more kiddy graphics in Zelda SS

If 3DS gets Bravely Default, i would probably exchange all PS3 + Vita games just to play that

Layton and Azran mysteries is also amazing

Generally 3DS even without those is far better, but if it gets these there will nosking about Vita anymore at all

#18 Posted by faizan_faizan (7846 posts) -

Get a 3DS. Much better pre existing library, much cheaper, more features as of now, better future support, first AND third party, and the Wii U is almost assuredly going to get a price drop soon.

EDIT: To answer your other question, if you are getting a 3DS, make sure to get an XL; it has better battery life, better backwards compatibility with the original DS and DSi, and of course, bigger and better screens.

charizard1605
*Vita
#19 Posted by 22Toothpicks (11279 posts) -

[QUOTE="superclocked"][QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

b9vkki.gif

loosingENDS

Only they said will be nothing like that and closer to the more kiddy graphics in Zelda SS

If 3DS gets Bravely Default, i would probably exchange all PS3 + Vita games just to play that

Generally 3DS even without those is far better, but if it gets these there will nosking about Vita anymore at all

when? when did nintendo say that the next zelda would be "nothing like this?"
#20 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -
[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="superclocked"]Wii U Zelda is going to be epic... :D22Toothpicks

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/09/wii-u-zelda-game-coming-2014/ But it's actually going to look better than that E3 video, so no worries. It definitely doesn't have "kiddy" graphics as he suggested... wii-u-hyrule.jpg
#21 Posted by Samus3D (1675 posts) -

Zelda Tech demos usually are never like the next Zelda game that comes after it. Skyward Sword like graphics in HD would be fine, the game was beautiful in SD.

I'd prefer this style though.

zelda_mock.jpg

In_Her_Eyes_by_Ryu_Gi.jpg

#22 Posted by osirisx3 (1744 posts) -

depends on what you want a home console or a hand held. Over all the 3ds is cheaper and has more games because its older.

#23 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -

Zelda Tech demos usually are never like the next Zelda game that comes after it. Skyward Sword like graphics in HD would be fine, the game was beautiful in SD.

I'd prefer this style though.

zelda_mock.jpg

In_Her_Eyes_by_Ryu_Gi.jpg

Samus3D
This is a screenshot of the first dungeon that was built using the new 3D engine, which I think looks even better than those old E3 shots personally. .. wii-u-hyrule.jpg
#24 Posted by loosingENDS (11775 posts) -

[QUOTE="22Toothpicks"][QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

superclocked

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/09/wii-u-zelda-game-coming-2014/ But it's actually going to look better than that E3 video, so no worries. It definitely doesn't have "kiddy" graphics as he suggested... wii-u-hyrule.jpg

"but it looks like Nintendo is sticking to most recent Zelda art style, found in Skyward Sword. Nintendo is sticking to the core values of Zelda, while trying to appeal to a wide range of gamers, casual and hardcore,"

Sorry, that is an absolute deal breaker and crearly stating the game will look absolutly nothing like that demo

What do i care for the size of the forest, if it looks like a washed out crap like in Skyward Sword

Nintendo always likes making fool of us, releasing spectacular tech demos that never EVER appear in their games at all and in the slightest little bit

But fool me once ...

#25 Posted by charizard1605 (55659 posts) -
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]

faizan_faizan
*Vita

Lol Vita
#27 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -

[QUOTE="superclocked"][QUOTE="22Toothpicks"] when? when did nintendo say that the next zelda would be "nothing like this?"loosingENDS

"but it looks like Nintendo is sticking to most recent Zelda art style, found in Skyward Sword. Nintendo is sticking to the core values of Zelda, while trying to appeal to a wide range of gamers, casual and hardcore,"

Sorry, that is an absolute deal breaker and crearly stating the game will look absolutly nothing like that demo

What do i care for the size of the forest, if it looks like a washed out crap like in Skyward Sword

Nintendo always likes making fool of us, releasing spectacular tech demos that never EVER appear in their games at all and in the slightest little bit

But fool me once ...

That isn't a screenshot from the E3 tech demo. It's an image of the first dungeon built using the new 3D engine, which is shown on the same page that you're quoting btw...