3DS Tracking Lower Than PSP #3DSMEANSFLOP

#1 Edited by Sweenix (5957 posts) -
These Are North American Figures, by the way. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=108617655&postcount=4751
3DS 2014PSP 2008DS 2008
January
February
March
#2 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6046 posts) -

Lifetime sales, anyone? Hell, lifetime sales minus the months before 3ds launched?

#3 Edited by KBFloYd (14751 posts) -

3ds is selling ok..psp outsold the GBA also...

..vita is dead everywhere but japan...get over it.

#4 Edited by Ballroompirate (23745 posts) -

That's actually pretty sad.

#5 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11647 posts) -

And what are the Vita sales comparatively?

#6 Posted by nintendoboy16 (28092 posts) -

On one half, that is pretty bad. On the other, I see sweenix is still badly trolling.

#8 Edited by Heil68 (47265 posts) -

did not expect that. SONY is on a ROLL.

#9 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7511 posts) -

This speaks more to the fact that mobile gaming will kill traditional handheld gaming in another cycle or two. Nintendo better step up their console game. Sony won't make another handheld after the Vita and they care more about the PS4 at this point. They are the opposite of Nintendo.

#10 Posted by ActicEdge (24492 posts) -

The market is pretty different now than it was 10 or so years ago. I think that's apparent.

#11 Edited by Raptor_Herc (310 posts) -

And how is the Vita faring compared to its predecessor?

#12 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8459 posts) -

Mobile gaming prevails!

#13 Posted by Ghost120x (4183 posts) -

Like everyone else said, I want to see some vita stats.

#14 Edited by charizard1605 (61738 posts) -

Handheld market contraction, bro.

#15 Edited by FlamesOfGrey (7511 posts) -

@Ghost120x said:

Dude Vita sold 10k last month in NA. No one should ever ask for Vita sales comparisons.

#17 Edited by p3anut (5993 posts) -

And how is Vita doing? Oh yeah, sit down.

#18 Posted by Ghost120x (4183 posts) -
@FlamesOfGrey said:

@Ghost120x said:

Dude Vita sold 10k last month in NA. No one should ever ask for Vita sales comparisons.

Damn, that sucks. I'm surprised it is not pulled off the shelves or it could be that a good 20-30k people are waiting for the vita slim. I love the vita it is my second favorite handheld under the gba. I dreamed of a day where you could play ffx on handheld. It's awesome.

I wish it sold better over here like the psp did so we can get things like gta as well as keep the niche stuff. Part of the reason psp did good in NA could be because people were using it to emulate games but now phones can do that too.

#19 Edited by SolidGame_basic (19310 posts) -

@p3anut said:

And how is Vita doing? Oh yeah, sit down.

I would imagine he was already sitting since he's at his computer or using his phone/tablet.

#20 Edited by killatwill15 (855 posts) -

I bought 2 og 3ds at full price and an 3ds xl,

how many psp's did I buy? 0

#21 Posted by 2Chalupas (5331 posts) -

@FlamesOfGrey said:

This speaks more to the fact that mobile gaming will kill traditional handheld gaming in another cycle or two. Nintendo better step up their console game. Sony won't make another handheld after the Vita and they care more about the PS4 at this point. They are the opposite of Nintendo.

This is probably why Nintendo is more fv**ed than Sony long term as a hardware maker. Their next home console might really be their last stand - make or break to see if they can keep making hardware. There will always be room for devices in a living room - it's just about capturing the market. But some type of console or device will always be practical. Especially an "all-in-one" device that can do multiple things, or close to everything - multimedia wise.

Handheld devices are clearly going the way of the do-do bird. There is no future market for them. It's just about at what point it's completely impractical to even try to sell a relatively expensive $200 standalone device, and instead be forced into making them more cheap and toy-like (i.e. something like the Tiger Handheld devices from back in the day). Would Nintendo bother with that? Or would they combat the mobile market by trying to make an actual smartphone themselves? I'm not sure they have the ability or expertise to go that route, what OS would they use for their phone?. It would be completely logical for them to give up on hardware, and start making mario games directly for ANY iOS or Android device. Or maybe a Pokemon facebook game... it would be very low risk, low cost, and very likely high returns. Which is pretty much Nintendo's M.O. anyway when it comes to their consoles and games (i.e. cheap hardware, low development costs to exploit a brand or franchise).

#22 Edited by 2Chalupas (5331 posts) -

@Ghost120x said:
@FlamesOfGrey said:

@Ghost120x said:

Damn, that sucks. I'm surprised it is not pulled off the shelves or it could be that a good 20-30k people are waiting for the vita slim. I love the vita it is my second favorite handheld under the gba. I dreamed of a day where you could play ffx on handheld. It's awesome.

I wish it sold better over here like the psp did so we can get things like gta as well as keep the niche stuff. Part of the reason psp did good in NA could be because people were using it to emulate games but now phones can do that too.

Actually it pretty much is being pulled from shelves at retail, or at best it has a *VERY* tiny allocation of space at the big box stores. That is not to say you can't walk into a Gamestop and easily find Vita and some games. It's probably a long way away from being that bad. But at a Target, Wal-Mart, Best-Buy, etc - it's probably not that far off from where they are not even allocating space at all anymore.

Sort of shame, because it's clearly the best gaming handheld of all time.

#23 Posted by inb4uall (6519 posts) -

@FlamesOfGrey said:

this is obviously a troll thread and the data is being manipulated. Three months of a systems life is hardly the entire story.

#24 Edited by lamprey263 (25617 posts) -

2nd best selling hardware worldwide after the PS4 is hardly a flop, and as far as I know there hasn't been any major releases since Bravely Default

keep in mind this is when the PSP peaked t'd only be another year before the PSP Go caused an avalanche of support for the PSP

and the DS was a hot phenomenon and was really peaking here as well, just because Nintendo can't recreate that same level of success doesn't mean that not reaching that is a disappointment

personally, I think the continuous model advancements and new colors caused a lot of people to rebuy DSs over the years, from the Lite to the DSi to the XL... 3DS had the XL early so there's really no reason to upgrade models which probably has some impact on sales, I don't imagine many people wanting to downgrade from an XL to a 2DS

#26 Posted by GreySeal9 (25127 posts) -

@2Chalupas said:

@Ghost120x said:
@FlamesOfGrey said:

@Ghost120x said:

Actually it pretty much is being pulled from shelves at retail, or at best it has a *VERY* tiny allocation of space at the big box stores. That is not to say you can't walk into a Gamestop and easily find Vita and some games. It's probably a long way away from being that bad. But at a Target, Wal-Mart, Best-Buy, etc - it's probably not that far off from where they are not even allocating space at all anymore.

Not with its library.

#27 Posted by Bigboi500 (31309 posts) -

Bunch of idiotic comments in a pointless troll thread. Why do I even post here anymore?

#28 Posted by MBirdy88 (9051 posts) -

@GreySeal9 said:

@2Chalupas said:

@Ghost120x said:
@FlamesOfGrey said:

@Ghost120x said:

Not with its library.

such a shame, it has a long list of fantastic multiplats....

And the remote play.... is amazing.

damn vita... why you no cheap and have mario?

3DS ... I cant stand using it... just like any other nintendo item, utter trash... and I'm bored of mario.... so vita is the winner in my scenario.

#29 Edited by GreySeal9 (25127 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@2Chalupas said:

@Ghost120x said:
@FlamesOfGrey said:

@Ghost120x said:

Not with its library.

such a shame, it has a long list of fantastic multiplats....

And the remote play.... is amazing.

damn vita... why you no cheap and have mario?

3DS ... I cant stand using it... just like any other nintendo item, utter trash... and I'm bored of mario.... so vita is the winner in my scenario.

Cool story.

#30 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9759 posts) -

This is such bad trolling.

#31 Edited by Blabadon (28502 posts) -

@Bigboi500: Don't!

#32 Posted by Bigboi500 (31309 posts) -

@Blabadon: <3 U 2 cupcake.

#33 Posted by Blabadon (28502 posts) -

@Bigboi500: People like you and me get it.

#34 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (9539 posts) -

LOL Sweenix thread.

#35 Posted by AM-Gamer (5292 posts) -

@FlamesOfGrey: Sorry but that's not true, it averages about 6k a week. That would be about 24k a month.

#36 Posted by KBFloYd (14751 posts) -

@AM-Gamer said:

@FlamesOfGrey: Sorry but that's not true, it averages about 6k a week. That would be about 24k a month.

normally yes...but this march was the lowest ever..at 10k

#38 Posted by Sweenix (5957 posts) -

lel

#39 Posted by santoron (8058 posts) -

Yeah, not surprising. The 3DS will capture something like 80-90% of this gen's handheld market, but won't come close to the DS in lifetime sales. And the next handheld will do worse, and so on...

It sucks. But it's true.

#40 Posted by Big_Pecks (5623 posts) -

Amazingly the industry does change in 6 years.

#41 Posted by Netret0120 (2871 posts) -

Only Sweenix smh