3DS doesn't seem that active in terms of releases this year

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SonicNextGen2 (3422 posts) -

We have:

-April: Disney Magical World and Conception II

-May: Mario Golf, Layton v. Wright and Kirby

-Fall: Persona Q

I REALLY hope we get a Nintendo Direct soon.

#2 Posted by wolverine4262 (19020 posts) -

SSB is supposed to be this year, right?

But yeah, i agree. I really havent played it much in a while anyway.

#3 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24864 posts) -

2013 was a whole different beast. we might not see a year like that again.

#4 Posted by Desmonic (13382 posts) -

#Vita #BestHandheld2014 #DealWithIt

#5 Posted by wolverine4262 (19020 posts) -

What I really want are new Fzero, StarFox, and Advanced Wars games.

#6 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (24864 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

Vita's Release Schedule is about even with 3DS's.

#7 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6963 posts) -

We will probably see a pretty good 2015 for the 3DS. Nintendo kind of seems to be alternating between the 3DS and Wii U.

#8 Posted by SonicNextGen2 (3422 posts) -

SSB is supposed to be this year, right?

But yeah, i agree. I really havent played it much in a while anyway.

Let's be honest, at the rate Nintendo is handling the Wii U/3DS's scheduling, it's probably going to end up coming out in 2015.

#9 Edited by SonicNextGen2 (3422 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

We will probably see a pretty good 2015 for the 3DS. Nintendo kind of seems to be alternating between the 3DS and Wii U.

Yeah, but besides Bayonetta, Sonic Boom and Mario Kart 8, what else is getting released for the Wii U this year?

#10 Edited by Desmonic (13382 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

Doesn't matter. Not a TRUE Master Race™ :P

#11 Posted by freedomfreak (39080 posts) -

I agree. It's so barren. I hope Nintendo has something to show at E3 that isn't Mario.

#12 Posted by wolverine4262 (19020 posts) -

Let's be honest, at the rate Nintendo is handling the Wii U/3DS's scheduling, it's probably going to end up coming out in 2015.

I think itll make it for fall. Its been in development for a while and they are getting help from Bandai Namco.

They should have made Kid Icarus 2 instead, though.

#13 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24864 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Well I said that because 2013 we saw a lot of games not from Nintendo on 3DS.

in 2013 the 3DS saw

1. Castlevania Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate
  2. Project X Zone
  3. Shin Megami Tensei IV
  4. Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner Soul Hackers
  5. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
  6. Fire Emblem Awakening
  7. Animal Crossing New Leaf
  8. Etrian Odyssey IV
  9. Etrian Odyssey Untold The Millennium girl
  10. Pokemon X and Y
  11. The Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds
  12. Ace Attorney 5 Dual Destinies
  13. Luigi's Mansion 2 Dark Moon
  14. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D

and I can't think of anything else at the moment but I think you got the picture. A Lot of games from both Nintendo and 3rd Party sources made the 3DS King of 2013.

#14 Posted by SonicNextGen2 (3422 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

Eh, I'd say a bit more though:
Dynasty Warriors 8 Complete, Conception II, Demon Gaze, Mind-0, Chrono Phantasma, Monster Monpiece, Atelier Ayesha Plus, Deception IV, Final Fantasy X/X-2, Dangan Ronpa 2, Neptunia PP, Disgaea 4 Return, Akiba's Trip 2, Shinovi Versus, Destiny of Spirits, Ragnarok Odyssey Ace, Soul Sacrifice Delta, and Xblaze. Some are ports, so give and take a few.

#15 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7498 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Not in the U.S. and EU. The Japanese releases for the 3DS in Japan this year is pretty weak so, localizations for next year will be too at this point.

#16 Edited by SonicNextGen2 (3422 posts) -

@SonicNextGen2 said:

I think itll make it for fall. Its been in development for a while and they are getting help from Bandai Namco.

They should have made Kid Icarus 2 instead, though.

TT~TT Sakurai said he'd wait another 15 years before making another sequel.

But seriously, I love my Nintendo consoles but both the 3DS and Wii U have felt barren compared to 2013.

#17 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24864 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@Desmonic said:

Dynasty Warriors 8 Complete, Conception II, Demon Gaze, Mind-0, Chrono Phantasma, Monster Monpiece, Atelier Ayesha Plus, Deception IV, Final Fantasy X/X-2, Dangan Ronpa 2, Neptunia PP, Disgaea 4 Return, Akiba's Trip 2, Shinovi Versus, Destiny of Spirits, Ragnarok Odyssey Ace, Soul Sacrifice Delta, and Xblaze. Some are ports, so give and take a few.

Well, taking NA to account 3DS is seeing

1. Bravely Default
  2. Yoshi's New Island (although bad, but some of the stuff you listed has that chance too.)
  3. Kirby Triple Deluxe
  4. Super Smash Bros
  5. Mario Golf World Tour
  6. Professor Layton X Ace Attorney
  7. Shantae and The Pirates Curse
  8. Conception II
  9. Persona Q Shadow of the Labyrinth
  10. Shovel Knight
  11. Treasurenauts
  12. Inazuma Eleven
  13. Professor Layton and The Azran Legacy

for this year. So really right now it just boils down to a matter of preference.

#18 Edited by Shinobishyguy (22416 posts) -

Compared to the godly lineup last year ofcourse it's gonna feel weak

#19 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7498 posts) -

@SonicNextGen2 said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@Desmonic said:

1. Bravely Default
  2. Yoshi's New Island (although bad, but some of the stuff you listed has that chance too.)
  3. Kirby Triple Deluxe
  4. Super Smash Bros
  5. Mario Golf World Tour
  8. Conception II
  10. Shovel Knight
  11. Treasurenauts
  12. Inazuma Eleven

for this year. So really right now it just boils down to a matter of preference.

Well you included indies and he didn't. PS Vita is getting a crap ton like Rogue Legacy, Hotline Miami 2, Binding Of Issac Rebith etc... PS Vita has a better year this year in and outside of Japan. Not saying the 3DS year is bad but compared to last year it's much weaker.

#20 Posted by SonicNextGen2 (3422 posts) -

@SonicNextGen2 said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@Desmonic said:

1. Bravely Default
  3. Kirby Triple Deluxe
  4. Super Smash Bros
  5. Mario Golf World Tour
  8. Conception II
  10. Shovel Knight
  11. Treasurenauts
  12. Inazuma Eleven

Okay then, that's fair, I just hope we get something soon because from the stuff you listed: Bravely Default, the Layton Games, Conception and Persona will be great, Yoshi's New Island was meh. And the rest are good, but games like Shantae, Shovel Knight, and Treasurenauts are probably going to be pretty short. Also, I'm still kind of on the skeptical side on Smash Bros as it still seems like it has a ways to go until release.

I really hope Nintendo has a direct soon.

#21 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (24864 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:

1. Bravely Default
  3. Kirby Triple Deluxe
  4. Super Smash Bros
  5. Mario Golf World Tour
  8. Conception II
  10. Shovel Knight
  11. Treasurenauts
  12. Inazuma Eleven

Well you included indies and he didn't. PS Vita is getting a crap ton like Rogue Legacy, Hotline Miami 2, Binding Of Issac Rebith etc... PS Vita has a better year this year in and outside of Japan. Not saying the 3DS year is bad but compared to last year it's much weaker.

I too didn't list a lot of other stuff on both the 2014 and 2013 lists. The Releases for both Vita and 3DS are not bad this year, but they aren't exactly amazing either. There's a few must haves on both lists, like Bravely Default or Disgaea 4 Return. but like I said I think it all boils down to preference this year.

#22 Posted by charizard1605 (55963 posts) -

Yeah, it's pretty barren compared to 2013 or even 2012, but that's sort of to be expected. Plus there's so much of a backlog on the 3DS now, that I'm sort of okay with a break, to be honest.

Nonetheless, I am sure Nintendo will announce new stuff for the system at a Direct or at E3.

Right now, the 3DS seems to be as good or bad this year as the Vita.

#23 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24864 posts) -

Okay then, that's fair, I just hope we get something soon because from the stuff you listed: Bravely Default, the Layton Games, Conception and Persona will be great, Yoshi's New Island was meh. And the rest are good, but games like Shantae, Shovel Knight, and Treasurenauts are probably going to be pretty short. Also, I'm still kind of on the skeptical side on Smash Bros as it still seems like it has a ways to go until release.

well I don't think we will know any more about both sides till closer to E3. Also Why didn't you list Borderlands 2 for Vita?

#24 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34139 posts) -

I still need need to get Bravery Default and Yoshi's New Island (will probably enjoy despite it's mixed reception). I also can't wait for Kirby: Triple Deluxe.

#25 Posted by hiphops_savior (7855 posts) -

2013 was the peak for the 3DS. I won't be surprised if a new system is announced for E3 2015.

#26 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16294 posts) -

It's true. But I don't care really. There are still some releases this year that I really want like Kirby and PLvsAA

And I still have to play a lot of older 3DS titles and a lot from last year, which had a great number of releases. So I think Nintendo should focus on WiiU.

Yeah, it's pretty barren compared to 2013 or even 2012, but that's sort of to be expected. Plus there's so much of a backlog on the 3DS now, that I'm sort of okay with a break, to be honest.

Nonetheless, I am sure Nintendo will announce new stuff for the system at a Direct or at E3.

Both Nintendo and Sony should focus on the consoles that need it the most: Vita and WiiU

#27 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7498 posts) -

I would say 2014 for the Vita is like 2013 for the 3DS but then I remembered. Most of the Vita's best games aren't leaving Japan especially this year if ever. It's still better then what the 3DS has though. I do wonder why Japanese developers are slow on 3DS announcements this year.

#28 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24864 posts) -

2013 was the peak for the 3DS. I won't be surprised if a new system is announced for E3 2015.

nah we still got a god 2-3 years left for 3DS.

Dragon Quest 7 still doesn't have a localization date.

#29 Edited by FlamesOfGrey (7498 posts) -

@hiphops_savior said:

DQ7 is not getting a localization date unless Nintendo pays SE to localize it like they did with Bravely Default. SE are not localizing any non mobile DQ games anytime in the near future well unless they change their minds.

#30 Posted by SonicNextGen2 (3422 posts) -

@hiphops_savior said:

2-3 still seems a bit little (considering how little the 3DS recieved attention from for its first full year and how last year finally gave it it's boost and the fact the DS got games up to October 2012 (8 years after it came out)).

@SonicNextGen2 said:

well I don't think we will know any more about both sides till closer to E3. Also Why didn't you list Borderlands 2 for Vita?

Forgot about that game, we kind of haven't heard anything from it for a while XD.

@charizard1605 said:

I would say 2014 for the Vita is like 2013 for the 3DS but then I remembered. Most of the Vita's best games aren't leaving Japan especially this year if ever. It's still better then what the 3DS has though. I do wonder why Japanese developers are slow on 3DS announcements this year.

What would you consider the Vita's best games?

Besides God Eater 2 and the Neptunia Rebirth games, most of the decent Vita games have been localized.

#31 Posted by hiphops_savior (7855 posts) -

@hiphops_savior said:

The Wii U, on the other hand, doesn't have that luxury.

GBA got scrapped after three years (2001-2004)

#32 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24864 posts) -

@SonicNextGen2: well in 3 years it would be 3DS's 6th year in the market so. If we don't start hearing about a new handheld by then I'd say that's a good life span for 3DS.

@FlamesOfGrey: Aren't Dragon Quest games already being handled by NOA anyway?

#33 Posted by SonicNextGen2 (3422 posts) -

@hiphops_savior: Holy hell, just realized that, it seemed like it's lifespan was extended by a year alone due to Pokemon Emerald.

@LegatoSkyheart: Oh yeah, we'll probably hear about a new handheld in 3 years.

#34 Edited by FlamesOfGrey (7498 posts) -

@SonicNextGen2 said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@hiphops_savior said:

2-3 still seems a bit little (considering how little the 3DS recieved attention from for its first full year and how last year finally gave it it's boost and the fact the DS got games up to October 2012 (8 years after it came out)).

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@SonicNextGen2 said:

Forgot about that game, we kind of haven't heard anything from it for a while XD.

@FlamesOfGrey said:

@charizard1605 said:

What would you consider the Vita's best games?

Besides God Eater 2 and the Neptunia Rebirth games, most of the decent Vita games have been localized.

I'll list the Vita games I think will be high quality exclusives or shared with PS3.

Exclusive: Corpse Party: Blood Drive, Fate Hollow: Arataxia, Freedom Wars, Over My Dead Body 2, Phantasy Star Nova.

Multiplatform (w/ PS3): Dai-3-Ji Super Robot Taizen Z, Eiyuu Densetsu: Sen No Kiseki 2, & Hatsune Miku Project Diva F 2nd.

Of those, I think only Freedom Wars has a high chance of localization. Xseed might go after Corpse Party and SEGA might decide to bring over Project Diva F 2nd. NIS America already saids the Neptunia games are coming over at some point.

#35 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7498 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@SonicNextGen2: well in 3 years it would be 3DS's 6th year in the market so. If we don't start hearing about a new handheld by then I'd say that's a good life span for 3DS.

@FlamesOfGrey: Aren't Dragon Quest games already being handled by NOA anyway?

Nintendo had a deal to localize DQ games for the DS. I remember reading that Nintendo chose to make a deal with SE for Bravely Default over DQ7 3DS because more fans were asking for that game and it was new.

#36 Posted by SonicNextGen2 (3422 posts) -

@FlamesOfGrey: Corpse Party has a decent chance if XSEED says they're interested, Fate is a no-no, Freedom Wars will probably come over under Sony and they said they had some interest in bringing Over My Dead Body 2, Phantasy Star Nova may happen if the whole 'ATLUS can handle SEGA's properties' works out, you know we're never getting Super Robot Wars of Legend of Heroes games here ever (and Sen no Kiseki was kinda.....myeh and repetitive) and Project Diva 2nd may come depending on the sales of the Vita version (the PS3 version probably had good sales in order to even consider the Vita version getting a release).

I say we're fine on the localization front on the Vita, a lot better than what we thought it may have been in 2012.

P.S: Did you buy Project 575, I want to know your opinion on it because it boooooombed.

#37 Edited by charizard1605 (55963 posts) -

@SonicNextGen2: I don't know if you meant the question for me or for FlamesofGrey, but my favorite Vita games are Persona 4 Golden, Toukiden, and Rayman Origins. Technically none of them is exclusive, but I do feel all of these games are enhanced by being played on the Vita.

@R4gn4r0k: Generally, it's true, but you can't leave the other system out to dry in the meanwhile either.

And it's not like the Wii U/Vita are getting extraordinary support from Nintendo/Sony this year either.

@LegatoSkyheart: Nintendo was originally going to do either Bravely Default or Dragon Quest VII, but I think the success of Bravely Default might prompt them to do Dragon Quest VII (and Bravely Second, and so on) as well.

@FlamesOfGrey: I think most developers loaded the 3DS in 2013, so 2014 is obviously going to be a lull year.

#38 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7498 posts) -

@FlamesOfGrey: Corpse Party has a decent chance if XSEED says they're interested, Fate is a no-no, Freedom Wars will probably come over under Sony and they said they had some interest in bringing Over My Dead Body 2, Phantasy Star Nova may happen if the whole 'ATLUS can handle SEGA's properties' works out, you know we're never getting Super Robot Wars of Legend of Heroes games here ever (and Sen no Kiseki was kinda.....myeh and repetitive) and Project Diva 2nd may come depending on the sales of the Vita version (the PS3 version probably had good sales in order to even consider the Vita version getting a release).

I say we're fine on the localization front on the Vita, a lot better than what we thought it may have been in 2012.

P.S: Did you buy Project 575, I want to know your opinion on it because it boooooombed.

I actually was supposed to be getting the game in my next Play-Asia order in a week but I cancelled the game from it. I will be picking it up later this year. With HM: Project Diva 2nd, IA/TV Colorful & Persona 4 Dancing All Night, I will have enough rhythm games for the next few months. Some opinions I heard on it were that it was fun though.

#39 Posted by Big_Pecks (5242 posts) -

The 3DS went into overdrive last year, so it can be slightly excused. I'm sure we'll get some new reveals and news on whether Smash actually comes out this year.

#40 Posted by SonicNextGen2 (3422 posts) -

@charizard1605: I'm pretty positive Bravely Second is getting localized, otherwise, I feel they would've taken out the teaser for it and not voiced it in English in the release.

@SonicNextGen2 said:

I actually was supposed to be getting the game in my next Play-Asia order in a week but I cancelled the game from it. I will be picking it up later this year. With HM: Project Diva 2nd, IA/TV Colorful & Persona 4 Dancing All Night, I will have enough rhythm games for the next few months. Some opinions I heard on it were that it was fun though.

Why do you think it bombed?

#41 Edited by FlamesOfGrey (7498 posts) -

@SonicNextGen2: I don't know if you meant the question for me or for FlamesofGrey, but my favorite Vita games are Persona 4 Golden, Toukiden, and Rayman Origins. Technically none of them is exclusive, but I do feel all of these games are enhanced by being played on the Vita.

@R4gn4r0k: Generally, it's true, but you can't leave the other system out to dry in the meanwhile either.

And it's not like the Wii U/Vita are getting extraordinary support from Nintendo/Sony this year either.

@LegatoSkyheart: Nintendo was originally going to do either Bravely Default or Dragon Quest VII, but I think the success of Bravely Default might prompt them to do Dragon Quest VII (and Bravely Second, and so on) as well.

@FlamesOfGrey: I think most developers loaded the 3DS in 2013, so 2014 is obviously going to be a lull year.

Hopefully, it gets a few more announcements for holiday. It has Gamecenter 3 and Theatrhythm Curtain Call coming up soon. I don't believe Bravely Second (If it makes release in Japan this year.), Kinka no Maguna, Persona Q, and Senran Kagura 2 are enough to carry the 2nd half of the year though.

#42 Posted by charizard1605 (55963 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Hopefully, it gets a few more announcements for holiday. It has Gamecenter 3 and Theatrhythm Curtain Call coming up soon. I don't believe Bravely Second (If it makes release in Japan this year.), Kinka no Maguna, Persona Q, and Senran Kagura 2 are enough to carry the 2nd half of the year though.

Yeah. There's Smash Bros. as well, but I think Nintendo will delay it so it doesn't sabotage the Wii U version.

We might get a Dragon Quest XI announcement, but if we do, I doubt it would hit this year.

#43 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3454 posts) -

Needs more Mario.

#44 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7498 posts) -

@charizard1605: I'm pretty positive Bravely Second is getting localized, otherwise, I feel they would've taken out the teaser for it and not voiced it in English in the release.

@FlamesOfGrey said:

@SonicNextGen2 said:

Why do you think it bombed?

If I had to guess it would be because the characters weren't interesting and the gameplay didn't seem to bring in an audience. I'm not sure how much SEGA marketed the game in Japan either. I know for me, when I first saw the gameplay it looked interesting but after the demo, I wasn't into the lyrics switching. The music is okay but doesn't compare to the Project Diva series. Also, the game is pretty plain looking in comparison to games to like Project Diva and the upcoming IA/VT Colorful.

#45 Posted by KBFloYd (13122 posts) -

yea...need a 3ds direct....e3 should be half 3ds anyway.

#46 Edited by lamprey263 (23089 posts) -

that's enough so far, really stoked for Persona Q, I'd like Mario Golf if there was a chance it'd drop in price but not likely anytime soon, I can get Mario Tennis for about $20 on Amazon which is a fair price, I'd pay that for Mario Golf when it happens to drop

also, Super Smash Bros should also come to the 3DS (though I'll probably get that for Wii U instead)

anyhow, I got my 3DS last year when only Luigi's Mansion caught my eye, then soon after I discovered a lot more to play, Fire Emblem, Soul Hackers, SMT4, Project X Zone, Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies, Rune Factory 4, Etrian Odyssey, A Link Between Worlds, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team; 2013 was a good year for the 3DS, and Bravely Default is a nice start to the year, I imagine more games that we're not focused on will take us by surprise throughout the year

plus, I'm still finding DS games to play on my 3DS, there's never a chance I can't find something new and satisfying to play

#47 Posted by bbkkristian (14940 posts) -

After it's fantastic year last year, I'm not surprised.

#48 Posted by treedoor (7635 posts) -

Handhelds are dying

Poor handhelds

#49 Posted by TrappedInABox91 (520 posts) -

2013 was year of the 3DS. i doubt it can have another amazing year like that again. There are some titles I'm looking forward too this year, and i finally may get rid of my backlog.

#50 Posted by Blabadon (25896 posts) -

I'm super stoked for Smash on 3DS and then yeah, it's crap. I've already learned from 2013 that being cautious of the 3DS' library's praise is the best way to go. Bring exclusive is no excuse for a game being a stinker.