3D graphics engine from Silicon Studio (Bravely Default dev)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19514 Posts

Silicon Studio launches new product teaser site

Silicon Studio launches new product teaser site

Middleware developer teasing the evolution of real-time graphics.

March 11, 2014 / 05:56 AM EDT / Sal Romano (@salromano)

Bravely Default developer Silicion Studio, also responsible for middleware products like Yebis and Orochi, have launched a new product teaser site.

The website contains the message, “Real-time graphics evolve even further,” as well as the following four images:

Below that, the studio says it’s seeking 3D graphics engineers, and that it’s working on the world’s highest level of real-time CG technology.

Given that, as well as the use of the word “product” over “work,” I’d guess this is middleware rather than game-related.

napo_sp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By napo_sp
Member since 2006 • 649 Posts

so they were the guys who made rigidgems demos back a decade ago? cool... and those almost look like Wall-E graphics.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jag85

@napo_sp said:

so they were the guys who made rigidgems demos back a decade ago? cool... and those almost look like Wall-E graphics.

Yeah, pretty much. That was from two years ago ("decade ago"?). I wonder when we'll see any games making use of that engine? Square Enix has been working with Silicon Studios quite often, so it's possible Square Enix might make use of this.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#4 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

IIRC, these are the same guys who helped aid Nintendo with the N64. They have quite a history.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jag85

@bbkkristian said:

IIRC, these are the same guys who helped aid Nintendo with the N64. They have quite a history.

Actually, that was Silicon Graphics, an American company, which developed the N64 GPU, but later closed down in 2009.

Silicon Studio is a Japanese company, which develops 3D graphics engines and middleware for companies like Square Enix, as well as their own games like 3D Dot Game Heroes and Bravely Default.

And finally, the Canadian developer Silicon Knights is also a completely different company.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@Jag85 said:

@bbkkristian said:

Actually, that was Silicon Graphics, an American company, which developed the N64 GPU, but later closed down in 2009.

Silicon Studio is a Japanese company, which develops 3D graphics engines and middleware for companies like Square Enix, as well as their own games like 3D Dot Game Heroes and Bravely Default.

And finally, the Canadian developer Silicon Knights is also a completely different company.

The team who developed N64's GPU formed a company called ArtX and it later was bought by ATI. Their first PC product was Radeon 9700.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jag85

@ronvalencia said:

@Jag85 said:

@bbkkristian said:

The team who developed N64's GPU formed a company called ArtX and it later was bought by ATI. Their first PC product was Radeon 9700.

ArtX also designed the GameCube's Flipper GPU, before they went on to design the ATI Radeon 9700 GPU (a breakthrough for the Radeon line) for PC.

SonicNextGen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SonicNextGen2
Member since 2010 • 3592 Posts

Oh my god, if they made a Bravely game for the Wii U/PS4 I would flip my shit happy.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#9 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

@SonicNextGen2: I would cry tears of joy.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jag85

@SonicNextGen2 said:

Oh my god, if they made a Bravely game for the Wii U/PS4 I would flip my shit happy.

You mean, like, a Bravely game with this photorealistic graphics engine?

SonicNextGen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SonicNextGen2

@Jag85 said:

@SonicNextGen2 said:

Yes!

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jag85

@SonicNextGen2 said:

@Jag85 said:

@SonicNextGen2 said:

Yes!

I was kind of doubting you for a moment there... But now that it looks like Bravely Default has outsold Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, it looks like Square Enix might actually consider a next-gen HD Bravely sequel after all.

SonicNextGen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SonicNextGen2

@Jag85 said:

@SonicNextGen2 said:

@Jag85 said:

@SonicNextGen2 said:

Yes!

I was kind of doubting you for a moment there... But now that it looks like Bravely Default has outsold Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, it looks like Square Enix might actually consider a next-gen HD Bravely sequel after all.

CAN YOU IMAGINE HOW AMAZING THAT WOULD BE?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jag85

@SonicNextGen2 said:

@Jag85 said:

@SonicNextGen2 said:

@Jag85 said:

@SonicNextGen2 said:

Yes!

CAN YOU IMAGINE HOW AMAZING THAT WOULD BE?

It sure would be. Silicon Studio's new engine looks more impressive than even Square Enix's own Luminous Studio engine... based on screenshots, that is. It's too early to tell how this engine will turn out.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#15 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

@Jag85 said:

@SonicNextGen2 said:

@Jag85 said:

@SonicNextGen2 said:

Yes!

They're already making Bravely Second for the 3DS. We would have to wait for a 3rd one.

SonicNextGen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SonicNextGen2

@93BlackHawk93 said:

@Jag85 said:

@SonicNextGen2 said:

@Jag85 said:

@SonicNextGen2 said:

Yes!

They're already making Bravely Second for the 3DS. We would have to wait for a 3rd one.

I know, haha. At least we don't have to worry about a localization for that one.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jag85

@93BlackHawk93 said:

@Jag85 said:

@SonicNextGen2 said:

@Jag85 said:

@SonicNextGen2 said:

Yes!

Oh yeah, that too. We'll have to wait and see how that turns out, and if it can continue the success.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

3rd pic looks very convincing but I'm not exactly eye trained for these xD

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jag85

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that Silicon Studio (along with Square Visual Works and Crystal Dynamics) also helped Square Enix with developing the Luminous Studio engine seen in the Agni's Philosophy demo back in 2012, and they created the engine for the Gunslinger Stratos arcade TPS games.