3D games from 5th gen that have aged well visually

  • 53 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by Captainqwark10 (1157 posts) -

I want to know which 5th generation 3D games seem to have aged best and are still able to be called decent to good visually. I know this may be a hard thread for a lot of nostalgia heads, but try looking at it from a gamers born within the recent 2 generations point of view and try to avoid eye candy tricks.

With that said there aren't many games that can steal hold up. Even earlier PS2 games have this issue, but here are some 3D games from that age that are visually pretty good.

#2 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (8151 posts) -
  • Off the top of my head:
  • Crash Bandicoot 1,2, & 3
  • Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask
  • Chrono Cross
#3 Edited by jake44 (2056 posts) -

Soul Reaver

Parasite Eve 2

#4 Posted by ni6htmare01 (1112 posts) -

Tekken 3?? Tenchu?? Even the first MSG still look pretty decent!

#5 Edited by mariokart97 (868 posts) -

The N64 had far superior 3D games(visually) in comparison to PS1, Saturn, Jaguar, 3DO etc. Some later N64 games looked near 6th gen poly-count wise, compared to like Dreamcast.

The games that I think looked the best for 5th gen:

-Conker's Bad Fur Day

-Banjo Kazooie

-Perfect Dark

-Jet Force Gemini

-Super Mario 64 even had pretty smooth textures, though not detailed much really

#6 Posted by cainetao11 (19522 posts) -

@mariokart97: N64 games are from my anus

#8 Posted by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -
@cainetao11 said:

@mariokart97: N64 games are from my anus

even so, that wouldn't change my opinion

#9 Edited by Renegade_Fury (17550 posts) -

I'm not sure what you can expect from a technical standpoint. To me, it's about the art style, and more importantly, whether the gameplay still holds up.

My picks:

  • NiGHTS into Dreams
  • Panzer Dragoon, Zwei, Saga
  • Virtua Fighter Remix, 2
  • Virtual On: Cyber Troopers
  • Omega Boost
  • Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, Mysteries of the Sith
  • X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter
  • Quake
  • Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask
  • WWF No Mercy
#10 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3801 posts) -

Super Mario 64

Ocarina of Time

Majora's Mask

Perfect Dark

#11 Edited by Renegade_Fury (17550 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

Super Mario 64

Ocarina of Time

Majora's Mask

Perfect Dark

Resident Evil: Code Veronica

Sonic Adventure

Sonic Adventure 2

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 and Code Veronica are gen 6, yo.

#12 Posted by Suppaman100 (4356 posts) -

Mega man legends

#13 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3801 posts) -

@Renegade_Fury said:

@princessgomez92 said:

Super Mario 64

Ocarina of Time

Majora's Mask

Perfect Dark

Resident Evil: Code Veronica

Sonic Adventure

Sonic Adventure 2

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 and Code Veronica are gen 6, yo.

Ah okay, thanks.

#14 Posted by Seabas989 (11018 posts) -
  • Chrono Cross
  • Majoras Mask
  • Final Fantasy IX
  • Half-Life
  • Age of Empires II
  • System Shock 2
  • Starcraft
  • Virtua Fighter 2
  • Tekken 3
  • NiGHTs: Into Dreams
#15 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17550 posts) -
@princessgomez92 said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

@princessgomez92 said:

Super Mario 64

Ocarina of Time

Majora's Mask

Perfect Dark

Resident Evil: Code Veronica

Sonic Adventure

Sonic Adventure 2

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 and Code Veronica are gen 6, yo.

Ah okay, thanks.

No prob; Dreamcast games tend to get muddled up between gens 5 and 6. They're still good lookers though.

#16 Edited by lamprey263 (25578 posts) -

typically visuals and gameplay mechanics of these games degrade with time, hence they're dated

but, that doesn't stop nostalgia from having people think they're still just as great as they once were

some games though are still fun to play and revisit

I remember when people were bitching about Max Payne 3 and claiming the first two games were still better than Max Payne 3 I went back to watch some gameplay videos, I did play them and utterly enjoy them back in the day but I had my doubts they'd still stand the test of time, and from the looks of it no, I probably wouldn't have nearly the same level of enjoyment from them now as I did back then.

#17 Posted by PAL360 (27299 posts) -

Quake 2

Hexen 2

Super Mario 64

Crash Bandicoot 3

#18 Posted by cainetao11 (19522 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur: even so, that wouldn't change my opinion

Lol dude I was in trollfacedick mode. I wasn't serious. But that cracked me up.

#19 Posted by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -

@cainetao11: oh yes i could tell you were having a laugh. lately you've been pretty funny.

#20 Posted by cainetao11 (19522 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur: fair enough. When I read your reply it was in my head in an awesomely dry, English accent. I fuckin cracked up. I never had a Nintendo console until the Wii. I was a Sega kid. But going back and playing those classics, especially because one of my army buds still had his N64 in the barracks in 2011, they were great games.

#21 Edited by Heirren (18925 posts) -

Many N64 games. Mario 64 being one of the best.

#22 Posted by lamprey263 (25578 posts) -

Fear Effect I thought was pretty good looking for a PS1 game.

Die Hard Trilogy was a pretty ugly game, even then, but it was so much fun.

Silent Hill, in PS1 days polygon pop-in was ugly but the use of fog not only helped mediate it but even added a nice atmosphere effect to the game that helped add to the tension.

In The Hunt on PS1 looked pretty good (still does), a side scrolling shooter, think like R-Type meets Metal Slug, with a submarine.

#23 Edited by PimpHand_Gamer (577 posts) -

Some of the Dreamcast games like Shenmue, considering when they were made and released they aged pretty well. I really don't see any PS1 games that aged worth a crap imo minus the ones that were mostly CG or locked cameras maybe. N64 might be a little better in that regard since their games weren't as jaggy but I still wouldn't say any of them aged well at all except maybe Turok 2 but mostly because of it's A.I. features which remains mostly unchanged to this day.

#24 Edited by mariokart97 (868 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@mariokart97: N64 games are from my anus

Okay PS1 3D must be from your mouth then

#25 Edited by mariokart97 (868 posts) -
@scottpsfan14 said:

No. No they haven't. They are still great games today, but visually? No. Blocky polygons, un-filtered low res textures and crappy native resolution of 320x240 blown up to the big screen. Yuck.

To me they have. Some games look like crap yes, but Nintendo 1st party, and Rareware made great looking games for the technology provided. To me, 6th gen and since has been great graphics but 6th gen(Gamecube Xbox OG) graphics were good enough, poly count was good enough, to the point where lighting effect are the bigger concentration nowadays. Blocky polygons don't bother me as long as theydon't have crappy textures. Like PS1 3D isn't the best but it is the pixelated textures that make them worse than the N64. Nintendo 64 had tri-linear filtering. Look it up.

Edit: Thought you were talking about N64 specifically, so my comment should be ignored. I get what you're saying, in general, they don't age as well as say, 6th gen did. Lol my bad.

#26 Posted by cainetao11 (19522 posts) -

@mariokart97:

@cainetao11 said:

@mariokart97: N64 games are from my anus

Okay PS1 3D must be from your mouth then

This is my favorite part.

#27 Posted by mariokart97 (868 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@mariokart97:

@cainetao11 said:

@mariokart97: N64 games are from my anus

Okay PS1 3D must be from your mouth then

This is my favorite part.

Haha that's all you got? I didn't even have to bring up Saturn 3D.

I'm a huge fan of Sega Saturn and its 3D(though limited) capabilites.

#29 Posted by l34052 (3321 posts) -

Goldeneye and Perfect Dark i would say. I always thought NHL 99 on the N64 was a good looker aswell, certainly better than the grainy ps1 version anyway.

#30 Posted by Bigboi500 (31309 posts) -

It's funny how most 5th gen games didn't age well at all, but yet some 4th gen games still look good.

#31 Posted by Heirren (18925 posts) -
@Bigboi500 said:

It's funny how most 5th gen games didn't age well at all, but yet some 4th gen games still look good.

I'm going to group this console in here as I just dug mine out and cleaned it up. Almost ALL Virtual Boy games have great visuals. It is one of the most underrated consoles, imo. There's not much else like it. It is a shame it didn't get at least a little bit more support. The visuals are just incredibly crisp, as is the sound. Everything has a unique look to it. Makes me think about tracking down a Vectrex.

#32 Edited by PAL360 (27299 posts) -

@Bigboi500:

True. Sprites and pixels are still a design option to many independent devs, and no doubt many 8 and 16bit games still look great! On the other hand, theres nothing cool about pop up and blocky 3D models with low res textures.

#33 Posted by SecretPolice (23551 posts) -

@mariokart97 said:

The N64 had far superior 3D games(visually) in comparison to PS1, Saturn, Jaguar, 3DO etc. Some later N64 games looked near 6th gen poly-count wise, compared to like Dreamcast.

The games that I think looked the best for 5th gen:

-Conker's Bad Fur Day

-Banjo Kazooie

-Perfect Dark

-Jet Force Gemini

-Super Mario 64 even had pretty smooth textures, though not detailed much really

I'd add Diddy Kong Racing making it a very Rare affair, gosh they we're something very special back in the day. :)

#34 Posted by Heirren (18925 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:

@mariokart97 said:

The N64 had far superior 3D games(visually) in comparison to PS1, Saturn, Jaguar, 3DO etc. Some later N64 games looked near 6th gen poly-count wise, compared to like Dreamcast.

The games that I think looked the best for 5th gen:

-Conker's Bad Fur Day

-Banjo Kazooie

-Perfect Dark

-Jet Force Gemini

-Super Mario 64 even had pretty smooth textures, though not detailed much really

I'd add Diddy Kong Racing making it a very Rare affair, gosh they we're something very special back in the day. :)

I just got back my N64 last week after it being borrowed around since maybe 2001. I know, right? Here's what I'll say: Perfect Dark is one of the games in the Nintendo 64 library that is considered a classic that, today, many people say it is overrated along with Goldeneye. Well, I played PD--Turok 2 as well--and at first I sort of agreed. However, all one has to do is change the controls around and get used to it. I was surprised, actually, as I started buying into the "bad controls" thing. It is a shame that Rare got put to rest. Think of the ambition in that very first level of Perfect Dark. Fast forward to today with todays technology and what that same team would be doing.

Also, low polygon graphics do not equal bad graphics.

#35 Posted by SecretPolice (23551 posts) -

@Heirren said:

@SecretPolice said:

@mariokart97 said:

The N64 had far superior 3D games(visually) in comparison to PS1, Saturn, Jaguar, 3DO etc. Some later N64 games looked near 6th gen poly-count wise, compared to like Dreamcast.

The games that I think looked the best for 5th gen:

-Conker's Bad Fur Day

-Banjo Kazooie

-Perfect Dark

-Jet Force Gemini

-Super Mario 64 even had pretty smooth textures, though not detailed much really

I'd add Diddy Kong Racing making it a very Rare affair, gosh they we're something very special back in the day. :)

I just got back my N64 last week after it being borrowed around since maybe 2001. I know, right? Here's what I'll say: Perfect Dark is one of the games in the Nintendo 64 library that is considered a classic that, today, many people say it is overrated along with Goldeneye. Well, I played PD--Turok 2 as well--and at first I sort of agreed. However, all one has to do is change the controls around and get used to it. I was surprised, actually, as I started buying into the "bad controls" thing. It is a shame that Rare got put to rest. Think of the ambition in that very first level of Perfect Dark. Fast forward to today with todays technology and what that same team would be doing.

Also, low polygon graphics do not equal bad graphics.

Indeed, they were wizards at getting so much out of so little making you think, how'd they do that.

#36 Posted by Heirren (18925 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:

@Heirren said:

@SecretPolice said:

@mariokart97 said:

The N64 had far superior 3D games(visually) in comparison to PS1, Saturn, Jaguar, 3DO etc. Some later N64 games looked near 6th gen poly-count wise, compared to like Dreamcast.

The games that I think looked the best for 5th gen:

-Conker's Bad Fur Day

-Banjo Kazooie

-Perfect Dark

-Jet Force Gemini

-Super Mario 64 even had pretty smooth textures, though not detailed much really

I'd add Diddy Kong Racing making it a very Rare affair, gosh they we're something very special back in the day. :)

I just got back my N64 last week after it being borrowed around since maybe 2001. I know, right? Here's what I'll say: Perfect Dark is one of the games in the Nintendo 64 library that is considered a classic that, today, many people say it is overrated along with Goldeneye. Well, I played PD--Turok 2 as well--and at first I sort of agreed. However, all one has to do is change the controls around and get used to it. I was surprised, actually, as I started buying into the "bad controls" thing. It is a shame that Rare got put to rest. Think of the ambition in that very first level of Perfect Dark. Fast forward to today with todays technology and what that same team would be doing.

Also, low polygon graphics do not equal bad graphics.

Indeed, they were wizards at getting so much out of so little making you think, how'd they do that.

I think the only time I was somewhat let down by Rare's work, even at the time, was the quality of the Killer Instinct sprites. I was such a fan of that game and a lot of its character came down to the visuals and especially the animation. Too bad the expansion back wasn't out before that, or just the ram upgrade was there from the start.

#37 Posted by mariokart97 (868 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@mariokart97 said:
@scottpsfan14 said:

No. No they haven't. They are still great games today, but visually? No. Blocky polygons, un-filtered low res textures and crappy native resolution of 320x240 blown up to the big screen. Yuck.

To me they have. Some games look like crap yes, but Nintendo 1st party, and Rareware made great looking games for the technology provided. To me, 6th gen and since has been great graphics but 6th gen(Gamecube Xbox OG) graphics were good enough, poly count was good enough, to the point where lighting effect are the bigger concentration nowadays. Blocky polygons don't bother me as long as theydon't have crappy textures. Like PS1 3D isn't the best but it is the pixelated textures that make them worse than the N64. Nintendo 64 had tri-linear filtering. Look it up.

Edit: Thought you were talking about N64 specifically, so my comment should be ignored. I get what you're saying, in general, they don't age as well as say, 6th gen did. Lol my bad.

Yeah I am aware of N64 linear filtering. They even marketed it over PlayStation. As if Nintendo never were about graphics ey? But I agree any way. Banjo Kazooie, DK64, Mario 64, Zelda, were all amazing for their time. But then so was Crash Bandicoot on PS1 which was less than a third the power of N64. And at the beginning of the console lifespan (1996). It's the jaggies that kill the visuals that gen. That's why I think Sony should include PS1 disc backwards compatability in 1080p native resolution. Same with PS2. You know, what PC gamers have had for years now with emulation. With original PS1/PS2 discs no less.

Yeah Crash Bandicoot looked pretty good, def given the 3D tech they had.

But I agree, if we could get all these old Saturn, PS1, N64 games in 1080p resolution it would really help make them age a bit better I think.

To me, blocky polygons don't bother me a bit, it's the jaggies or framerate drops that hinders those consoles in my opinion.

Specifically speaking, you know in super smash bros for the N64, when you fight "fighting polygons", that shows that they're acknowledging that the models are blocky and not as smooth, and yet I personally loved that level and wished it returned in later games.

#38 Posted by Heirren (18925 posts) -

@mariokart97 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@mariokart97 said:
@scottpsfan14 said:

No. No they haven't. They are still great games today, but visually? No. Blocky polygons, un-filtered low res textures and crappy native resolution of 320x240 blown up to the big screen. Yuck.

To me they have. Some games look like crap yes, but Nintendo 1st party, and Rareware made great looking games for the technology provided. To me, 6th gen and since has been great graphics but 6th gen(Gamecube Xbox OG) graphics were good enough, poly count was good enough, to the point where lighting effect are the bigger concentration nowadays. Blocky polygons don't bother me as long as theydon't have crappy textures. Like PS1 3D isn't the best but it is the pixelated textures that make them worse than the N64. Nintendo 64 had tri-linear filtering. Look it up.

Edit: Thought you were talking about N64 specifically, so my comment should be ignored. I get what you're saying, in general, they don't age as well as say, 6th gen did. Lol my bad.

Yeah I am aware of N64 linear filtering. They even marketed it over PlayStation. As if Nintendo never were about graphics ey? But I agree any way. Banjo Kazooie, DK64, Mario 64, Zelda, were all amazing for their time. But then so was Crash Bandicoot on PS1 which was less than a third the power of N64. And at the beginning of the console lifespan (1996). It's the jaggies that kill the visuals that gen. That's why I think Sony should include PS1 disc backwards compatability in 1080p native resolution. Same with PS2. You know, what PC gamers have had for years now with emulation. With original PS1/PS2 discs no less.

But I agree, if we could get all these old Saturn, PS1, N64 games in 1080p resolution it would really help make them age a bit better I think.

People forget that the quality of the visuals from these games was greatly affected by what display was used.

#39 Edited by mariokart97 (868 posts) -

@Heirren said:

People forget that the quality of the visuals from these games was greatly affected by what display was used.

Precisely. I don't know about you but blocky polygons don't bother me. If you're looking at N64 games using an RF cable, then yeah, it looks like crap. But looking at N64 games through, say S-video, the blocky polygons have decent resolution to it and actually looks quite good imo.

#40 Edited by Heirren (18925 posts) -

@mariokart97 said:

@Heirren said:

People forget that the quality of the visuals from these games was greatly affected by what display was used.

Precisely. I don't know about you but blocky polygons don't bother me. If you're looking at N64 games using an RF cable, then yeah, it looks like crap. But looking at N64 games through, say S-video, the blocky polygons have decent resolution to it and actually looks quite good imo.

Imo the good N64 games look better than a lot of Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube titles. That generation started going for a more realistic approach but I just don't think the texture resolution was up to that point yet, technically. A lot of old school flat shaded games look good to this day. Forgot the name of the game but that twin stick tank shooter in the arcade that also got ported to saturn looks great.

#41 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (26357 posts) -

Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day,The Crash Bandicoot Trilogy, and Star Fox 64 aged wonderfully from the PS1 and N64 era.

Other games really didn't age well, despite being hailed as Classics. Games like Tomb Raider, F-Zero, Final Fantasy 7,8,& 9, or Even Tony Hawk Proskater didn't age that well.

#42 Posted by fanshere (10 posts) -

  • Final Fantasy IX
  • Half-Life
  • Age of Empires II
  • System Shock 2
#43 Posted by TigerSuperman (3561 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

It's funny how most 5th gen games didn't age well at all, but yet some 4th gen games still look good.

4th gen games look atrocious. I would take smmoth 2D graphics without washed out colors over washed out pixel glitchy 2D sprites.

As for the thread, a lot of people are using horrible looking games in this thread. I am slightly curious of those 3 3DO games in the OP however, I know the third one is need For Speed, what are the other two?

#44 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7876 posts) -

That generation of games is very hard for me to return to. I loved it when I was living it, but those games just hurt my eyes now.

#45 Posted by Flubbbs (3588 posts) -

Breath of Fire 3 and 4 both still look great

#46 Posted by Bigboi500 (31309 posts) -

@TigerSuperman said:

@Bigboi500 said:

It's funny how most 5th gen games didn't age well at all, but yet some 4th gen games still look good.

4th gen games look atrocious. I would take smmoth 2D graphics without washed out colors over washed out pixel glitchy 2D sprites.

As for the thread, a lot of people are using horrible looking games in this thread. I am slightly curious of those 3 3DO games in the OP however, I know the third one is need For Speed, what are the other two?

A lot of SNES games still look good on HDTVs, much like a lot of the indie games that try to look like they do. N64 and PSone games look hideous.

#47 Posted by TigerSuperman (3561 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

@TigerSuperman said:

@Bigboi500 said:

It's funny how most 5th gen games didn't age well at all, but yet some 4th gen games still look good.

4th gen games look atrocious. I would take smmoth 2D graphics without washed out colors over washed out pixel glitchy 2D sprites.

As for the thread, a lot of people are using horrible looking games in this thread. I am slightly curious of those 3 3DO games in the OP however, I know the third one is need For Speed, what are the other two?

A lot of SNES games still look good on HDTVs, much like a lot of the indie games that try to look like they do. N64 and PSone games look hideous.

You know the Indie games that look nothing like the SNES games that are on newer engines without any limitations.

#48 Posted by DocSanchez (2331 posts) -

There aren't really any. The ones that hold up the best are on PC from that era but for obvious reasons 2D games hold up miles better. I think 3D games from the past gen (apart from the wii) will hold up better as the technology gets more and more complex. I can't see the graphics on Mass Effect 3 ever looking as dated as some of the 5th gen 3d games.

#49 Posted by Heirren (18925 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

There aren't really any. The ones that hold up the best are on PC from that era but for obvious reasons 2D games hold up miles better. I think 3D games from the past gen (apart from the wii) will hold up better as the technology gets more and more complex. I can't see the graphics on Mass Effect 3 ever looking as dated as some of the 5th gen 3d games.

elaborate because i feel the opposite.

#50 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (26357 posts) -

@fanshere said:

  • Final Fantasy IX
  • Half-Life
  • Age of Empires II
  • System Shock 2

maybe System Shock 2, but Final Fantasy IX and Half-Life did not age that well to me.

Age of Empires II I don't think counts since OP stated "3D" games.