360 vs PS3 by the points.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 black_awpN1
Member since 2004 • 7863 Posts

i have recently seen quit the increase in "ZOMG should i get a PS3 or a 360" posts, and while I own both and think everyone should do the same. So ive decided to create this niffty little Point comparison of certain features each conspole posses. Ive broken them down from Hardware, Games, Controller, Online support, and Multimedia functionality. Let the best console win:

Hardware:

Both the 360 and the PS3 offer awesome Next Gen (or current gen as its being called)hardware. But which one has the more horses under the hood? While we can debate till elvis is resurrected about which consoles are technlogicaly superior to one another, we have to admit that the PS3 is, on paper at least, the most technologicaly superior console to date. With the Cell Engine (vastly superior to the PS2s and can out compute 360s CPU) and Blu-Ray drive, we can expect to see some eye blistering things from the PS3 down the road. However, while the Ps3 doeshave a better CPu than the 360, it does have a slightly less powerful GPU than the 360.

Point 1 goes to PS3.

Games:

Now this is where the 360 really shines right now. Withmore variety and a larger librarey of games compared to the 360, you could easilypick up a 360 right now and find atleast 6 games that peak your interest. This mainly has to do with thefact that 360 cameout a year earlier thanthe PS3, and that the 360s hardwareis easier to program for.However, there are certain games onthe PS3 you would never see on the 360, and ViceVersa.

Point 2 goes to 360.

Controller:

Now this is where i am very 50/50 on. Personaly, i find that the 360 controlleris better for first person shooters, but im used to the PS3 controllers feel since its almost exactly the same as the PS2 controller. One semi big difference between the two is the 360s has rumble and the PS3s does not.And when the PS3 controller battery dies, you have to replace the whole controller(you can just pop on another one with th e360 controller. One advantage the PS3 does have with its controller is the Potential of the sixaxisfunctionality. However, we have seen little to no use of this feature in games currently out right now.

Point 3 goes to both the 360 and the PS3.

Online:

Now this is where the 360 starts kicking tail. It has the most robust online service of the two, but that greatness comes at a price (50 dollars a year) One thing PS3 has going for it in this category is that its free of charge, so while it may not be as large and better as XBOX live, you do get what you pay for (and considering the price of free, thats not bad) 360, however, wins hands down in this category.

Point 4 goes to 360.

Multimedia:

This (other than hardware) is the mainn thing Sony has going for it this generation. While many complained about th e600 dollar price tag at launch, they failed to see what you where getting for that extra 200 compared to 360. You get HD movie playback (you would have to pay an extra 180 for 360s HD-DVD addon) a 60 GB HDD, Linux functionality, Memory stick readers, and the ability to play all your old PS1 and PS2 games. It also has Wifi, which is an extra 100 bucks on 360. So if you where to add all the things PS3 has on th e360, 360 would end up being the more expensive console.

Point 5 goes to PS3.

So lets tally up the points:

And the winner is........

Its a tie. yes, while It may seem I have coped outin my decison, the truth is that since both these consoles are great gaming machines, its damn near inpossible to pick a winner right now. I do hope this has at least provided some help to someone.

Just go with the syestem with th exclusives you like and youll be good to go. Feel free to create your own version of this.

xtreme822

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 xtreme822
Member since 2003 • 745 Posts
prepared to be flamed!
Koalakommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Koalakommander
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

i have recently seen quit the increase in "ZOMG should i get a PS3 or a 360" posts, and while I own both and think everyone should do the same. So ive decided to create this niffty little Point comparison of certain features each conspole posses. Ive broken them down from Hardware, Games, Controller, Online support, and Multimedia functionality. Let the best console win:

Hardware:

Both the 360 and the PS3 offer awesome Next Gen (or current gen as its being called)hardware. But which one has the more horses under the hood? While we can debate till elvis is resurrected about which consoles are technlogicaly superior to one another, we have to admit that the PS3 is, on paper at least, the most technologicaly superior console to date. With the Cell Engine (vastly superior to the PS2s and can out compute 360s CPU) and Blu-Ray drive, we can expect to see some eye blistering things from the PS3 down the road. However, while the Ps3 doeshave a better CPu than the 360, it does have a slightly less powerful GPU than the 360.

Point 1 goes to PS3.

Games:

Now this is where the 360 really shines right now. Withmore variety and a larger librarey of games compared to the 360, you could easilypick up a 360 right now and find atleast 6 games that peak your interest. This mainly has to do with thefact that 360 cameout a year earlier thanthe PS3, and that the 360s hardwareis easier to program for.However, there are certain games onthe PS3 you would never see on the 360, and ViceVersa.

Point 2 goes to 360.

Controller:

Now this is where i am very 50/50 on. Personaly, i find that the 360 controlleris better for first person shooters, but im used to the PS3 controllers feel since its almost exactly the same as the PS2 controller. One semi big difference between the two is the 360s has rumble and the PS3s does not.And when the PS3 controller battery dies, you have to replace the whole controller(you can just pop on another one with th e360 controller. One advantage the PS3 does have with its controller is the Potential of the sixaxisfunctionality. However, we have seen little to no use of this feature in games currently out right now.

Point 3 goes to both the 360 and the PS3.

Online:

Now this is where the 360 starts kicking tail. It has the most robust online service of the two, but that greatness comes at a price (50 dollars a year) One thing PS3 has going for it in this category is that its free of charge, so while it may not be as large and better as XBOX live, you do get what you pay for (and considering the price of free, thats not bad) 360, however, wins hands down in this category.

Point 4 goes to 360.

Multimedia:

This (other than hardware) is the mainn thing Sony has going for it this generation. While many complained about th e600 dollar price tag at launch, they failed to see what you where getting for that extra 200 compared to 360. You get HD movie playback (you would have to pay an extra 180 for 360s HD-DVD addon) a 60 GB HDD, Linux functionality, Memory stick readers, and the ability to play all your old PS1 and PS2 games. It also has Wifi, which is an extra 100 bucks on 360. So if you where to add all the things PS3 has on th e360, 360 would end up being the more expensive console.

Point 5 goes to PS3.

So lets tally up the points:

And the winner is........

Its a tie. yes, while It may seem I have coped outin my decison, the truth is that since both these consoles are great gaming machines, its damn near inpossible to pick a winner right now. I do hope this has at least provided some help to someone.

Just go with the syestem with th exclusives you like and youll be good to go. Feel free to create your own version of this.

black_awpN1

blu ray tips the balance in a huge way for me.

Sparky04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sparky04
Member since 2006 • 3390 Posts
Thats a pretty good comparison the only problem is the point distribution if kind of strange like you have to assume that multimedia or Hardware are as important as games, and now I probably sound like a Lemming...
Avatar image for NobuoMusicMaker
NobuoMusicMaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NobuoMusicMaker
Member since 2005 • 6628 Posts
Online goes to PS3. There's no way you can argue that one out.
AJ121791

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AJ121791
Member since 2007 • 84 Posts
I could really careless for Blueray. I don't want to go out and spend $30 for a Blue ray disk. Another thing is you listed all those points why the 360 is a better controlloer then the PS3 but you gave it a tie. I don't understand that.
AJ121791

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AJ121791
I also can burn dvds off my computer by I can't burn Blu ray.
Sparky04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sparky04

Online goes to PS3. There's no way you can argue that one out.NobuoMusicMaker

Every game has to have online on the 360 in some way shape or form, an example would be Virtua Fighter for Ps3 no online for 360 Leaderboards and versus, 360 wins hands down.

Koalakommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Koalakommander
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

I could really careless for Blueray. I don't want to go out and spend $30 for a Blue ray disk. Another thing is you listed all those points why the 360 is a better controlloer then the PS3 but you gave it a tie. I don't understand that.AJ121791

ps3 has sixaxis, 360 doesnt. tie.

AJ121791

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AJ121791

Rumble and the ability to put batteries in after it dies outweighs sixaxis.

ace52387

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ace52387
Member since 2005 • 757 Posts

Thats a pretty good comparison the only problem is the point distribution if kind of strange like you have to assume that multimedia or Hardware are as important as games, and now I probably sound like a Lemming...Sparky04

You're right but then you have to compare the LEVEL of advantage one has to another as well. The ps3 definitely trumps the xbox hard on extras.

I can't see paying 50 dollars a year being worth the extra friends/chat/videochat/downloads (more downloads ya, but you have to pay for those anyway) when the core gaming functionality is largely the same and dependent on the game. To me, the PS3 wins, at least in POTENTIAL. VF5 means too much to me.

Sparky04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sparky04

[QUOTE="Sparky04"]Thats a pretty good comparison the only problem is the point distribution if kind of strange like you have to assume that multimedia or Hardware are as important as games, and now I probably sound like a Lemming...ace52387

You're right but then you have to compare the LEVEL of advantage one has to another as well. The ps3 definitely trumps the xbox hard on extras.

I can't see paying 50 dollars a year being worth the extra friends/chat/videochat/downloads (more downloads ya, but you have to pay for those anyway) when the core gaming functionality is largely the same and dependent on the game. To me, the PS3 wins, at least in POTENTIAL. VF5 means too much to me.

The thing about paying 50 dollars a year is that it guarantees every game will have online, somthing the Ps3 doesn't offer. So the Ps3 could match the 360's online service but in practice it doesn't.