360 to be Dumped?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Telekill (4225 posts) -

At the start of this gen, Microsoft dumped the first Xbox like a bunch of bricks. The system had only been on the market for four years and when 360 launched had zero support.

360 has been on the market twice as long and now that Xbox One is about to release, I'm wondering if 360 owners not wanting to make the next gen leap just yet will be stuck with no support from Microsoft as soon as the new system releases?

#2 Posted by AMD655 (4495 posts) -

Good, then i can pick one up and use it as a Linux box just like my original XBOX, excellent mame unit ;)

#3 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (5127 posts) -

MS hasn't supported the 360 in years unless people count Kinect games.

#4 Posted by BigBoss255 (3538 posts) -

Even then there hasn't been a Kinect game from them in years.

#5 Posted by Heil68 (42663 posts) -

MS dropped support for 360 in 2009

#6 Posted by lundy86_4 (42658 posts) -

The 360 still gets plenty of support from outside sources, as well as MS focussing on streamlining and providing features. It's a different scenario, so I think it'll stick around.

I expect MS to be focussing their first-party on the X1.

#7 Posted by Shewgenja (7940 posts) -

They've had no support from MS first party since 2012 tbh.

#8 Posted by Caseytappy (2111 posts) -

@Telekill said:

At the start of this gen, Microsoft dumped the first Xbox like a bunch of bricks. The system had only been on the market for four years and when 360 launched had zero support.

360 has been on the market twice as long and now that Xbox One is about to release, I'm wondering if 360 owners not wanting to make the next gen leap just yet will be stuck with no support from Microsoft as soon as the new system releases?

Incomparable situation .

The original Xbox was made of parts that MS bought for fixed price contracts and at the end of that generation they still lost money so they stopped producing as soon as the 360 which they build themselves was released .

#9 Edited by super600 (29957 posts) -

A couple of MS produced games like that fable remake and Halo Spartan Assault will be released on the 360 during the holiday season. Also almost all the multiplats that will releases on the next gen consoles and the PS3 will be released on the 360.

#10 Posted by Telekill (4225 posts) -

@Caseytappy: See, that's good info that I didn't know about and that makes far more sense than Microsoft just dumping the system and the 20 million consumers that bought it.

Thanks

#11 Edited by Haveeked (42 posts) -

360 died a few years ago, the only last-gen console that is still kicking ass is the PS3

#12 Posted by Ninja-Hippo (23426 posts) -

They've already said they have the opposite intention. The xbox had to be dropped because due to the stupid contract they had with the manufacturers it cost them just as much to produce after four years as it did on day one, and with its decent library and much lower price it was a more attractive proposition to lots of people than the brand new 360.

So they were basically still taking a hit on a console which was selling well and out-performing their new machine. This gen is completely different; they're making a profit on every 360 they make, the cost of production has gone down, they still have developers making games for it and have even just released a new design.

The 360 is clearly meant to be Microsoft's PS2; a console that can sell at a lower price point, stay profitable and keep selling for years to come, especially in emerging markets.

#13 Posted by heretrix (37253 posts) -

They have close to 90 million units out there.. Why in the hell would they stop supporting that? Anyone comparing the 360 to the original xbox's situation is a moron.

#14 Edited by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

Unlikely, MSFT hasn't shown any capacity to support transisitons with their consoles--I'd expect the precedent to stick due to the last couple of lackluster years.

#15 Posted by LJS9502_basic (149515 posts) -

I don't see much support from them now....so....

#16 Posted by Senor_Kami (8258 posts) -

I don't think PS3 or 360 is going to get much AAA 1st party support from here on out. If you're going to spend AAA money, why would you not spend it on the system that needs killer apps and needs game to push it into homes? I can see 3rd parties still doing AAA on current gen but for first party I don't think it will be a priority.

I doubt they'll kill the system either. Xbox 360 like tripled the sales of the OG Xbox and has a huge install base, is cheap to make and still sells well. There's no reason for them to abandon that cash cow. I don't think they'll focus on it as said earlier, but there's no reason to kill it.

#17 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

@Telekill said:

Which is not true because it lasted until 2007 and the 260 came out in 2005, and their were FP titles in 2007 on the Xbox but please continue to be stupid. Let alone the fact that MS announced 3 more years for the 360 at the least. Same with PS3.

#18 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16473 posts) -

To me it seems like they already dumped the 360. When was the last time the 360 got a first party game?

#19 Edited by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

I know right? Just like that blasted PS2.

................................... huh...

#20 Posted by Netret0120 (1900 posts) -

They dumped the 360 in 09

#21 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16473 posts) -

@Senor_Kami said:

I don't think PS3 or 360 is going to get much AAA 1st party support from here on out. If you're going to spend AAA money, why would you not spend it on the system that needs killer apps and needs game to push it into homes? I can see 3rd parties still doing AAA on current gen but for first party I don't think it will be a priority.

I doubt they'll kill the system either. Xbox 360 like tripled the sales of the OG Xbox and has a huge install base, is cheap to make and still sells well. There's no reason for them to abandon that cash cow. I don't think they'll focus on it as said earlier, but there's no reason to kill it.

Then you don't know much of anything about Sony. Is this your first gen gaming or something?

#22 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16473 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

I know right? Just like that blasted PS2.

................................... huh...

PS2...

#23 Posted by NameIess_One (559 posts) -

The 360 still gets plenty of support from outside sources, as well as MS focussing on streamlining and providing features. It's a different scenario, so I think it'll stick around.

I expect MS to be focussing their first-party on the X1.

This... the 360 has a very large userbase as of now, so a lot of third-party devs will be capitalizing on it for the next year or two.

It's true there won't be much, if any first party support, though.

#24 Posted by cainetao11 (15867 posts) -

MS has out right said they abandoned the original, but wont do so with 360. With an install base of over 80 million it would be business suicide to abandon. I know you guys here know it all, but try to watch and learn sometimes.

#25 Edited by silversix_ (13627 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Fact right here right now.

#26 Posted by cainetao11 (15867 posts) -

@Telekill said:

Which is not true because it lasted until 2007 and the 260 came out in 2005, and their were FP titles in 2007 on the Xbox but please continue to be stupid. Let alone the fact that MS announced 3 more years for the 360 at the least. Same with PS3.

Dude they make up this shit without knowing the truth.

#27 Edited by cainetao11 (15867 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

And yet its not a fact. Maybe they didn't support it to YOUR liking, but that doesn't mean it isn't supported. Stop lying and learn to understand business isn't about pleasing the smallest group. I didn't like it, but I wont sit and lie about it.

#28 Edited by silversix_ (13627 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

@Heil68 said:

And yet its not a fact. Maybe they didn't support it to YOUR liking, but that doesn't mean it isn't supported. Stop lying and learn to understand business isn't about pleasing the smallest group. I didn't like it, but I wont sit and lie about it.

They didn't support it for my liking and every other none braindead MS follower. 09 was the year, the year everything stopped. They supported the original Xbox for 4 years and did the same for 360 so why and how could anyone be surprised? I'm not!

#29 Posted by StriateEnd (497 posts) -

Don't they have a Fable 1 remake coming out? Hope it hits the PC shiiiieeeetttt loved that game. Shame about the mediocre second and third ones though :(

#30 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@silversix_ said:

@Heil68 said:

They didn't support it for my liking and every other none braindead MS follower. 09 was the year, the year everything stopped. They supported the original Xbox for 4 years and did the same for 360 so why and how could anyone be surprised? I'm not!

09 was not the year everything stopped, heil is an idiot that has screwed with a lot of people brains here. The death was when Kinect became a focus, which was 2011, that is 2005-2011, that is 6 years. The ps3 was 2009-present around 4 years.

#31 Posted by Heil68 (42663 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

@cainetao11 said:

@silversix_ said:

@Heil68 said:

09 was not the year everything stopped, heil is an idiot that has screwed with a lot of people brains here. The death was when Kinect became a focus, which was 2011, that is 2005-2011, that is 6 years. The ps3 was 2009-present around 4 years.

Even Tom McShea blogged about it. :lol:

The facts are in 2009 MS decided to drop core to go upwards of 65% casual with Kinect(lol) to chase the Wii's pot of gold. You cant change history, no matter how mad and upset it makes you.

#32 Edited by cainetao11 (15867 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

@cainetao11 said:

@silversix_ said:

@Heil68 said:

Ok so my brother and my nephew are brain dead? Because they like Kinect and have bought games since 2009? Where are you? Im at Ft. Sill Ok in the US.. Id be glad to talk this out face to face shitbag. Of course not, everyones a tough guy behind a keyboard. And your wrong. Games for xbox were released up to 2007. So again it wasn't to your liking. But to say it was abandoned is to say "the world has to be what I want"-cause you're a lil bitch

#33 Edited by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@silversix_ said:

@cainetao11 said:

@silversix_ said:

@Heil68 said:

The facts are in 2009 MS decided to drop core to go upwards of 65% casual with Kinect(lol) to chase the Wii's pot of gold. You cant change history, no matter how mad and upset it makes you.

Yet the Kinect was not out in 2009. Your desperation is very very sad. My friend you should tell your mother to raise you more properly. Saying the same things over and over won't make them true.

I mean technically, move was worked on in 2008, so with your logic you self-own yourself. It's like you are a very sick child.

#34 Edited by silversix_ (13627 posts) -

@Jakandsigz said:

@Heil68 said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@silversix_ said:

@cainetao11 said:

@silversix_ said:

@Heil68 said:

Yet the Kinect was not out in 2009. Your desperation is very very sad. My friend you should tell your mother to raise you more properly. Saying the same things over and over won't make them true.

I mean technically, move was worked on in 2008, so with your logic you self-own yourself. It's like you are a very sick child.

Kinect wasn't out but we already knew about it and MS switched their gears to casual mode

#35 Posted by CrownKingArthur (3757 posts) -

it only gets multiplats from here on out? Doesn't it?

#36 Edited by cainetao11 (15867 posts) -

What makes me laugh is how quick detractors are, yet looking at X1 launch line up, why not be as quick to credit them with games?

#37 Posted by Heil68 (42663 posts) -

@Jakandsigz said:

@Heil68 said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@silversix_ said:

@cainetao11 said:

@silversix_ said:

@Heil68 said:

Kinect wasn't out but we already knew about it and MS switched their gears to casual mode

That's right, MS knew, the KNEW they were going to drop core and put all focus on Kinect.(lol) Kinect(lol) itself was first announced on June 1, 2009 at E3 2009 under the code name "Project Natal".. Seems like Jak wants to rewrite his own lem history. Sad times indeed.

#38 Posted by nyzma23 (887 posts) -

WTF do you forget state of decay it's made by microsoft studio and next year there is titanfall,project spark and pvz garden warfare

#39 Posted by casharmy (6819 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

@cainetao11 said:

@silversix_ said:

@Heil68 said:

Ok so my brother and my nephew are brain dead? Because they like Kinect and have bought games since 2009? Where are you? Im at Ft. Sill Ok in the US.. Id be glad to talk this out face to face shitbag. Of course not, everyones a tough guy behind a keyboard. And your wrong. Games for xbox were released up to 2007. So again it wasn't to your liking. But to say it was abandoned is to say "the world has to be what I want"-cause you're a lil bitch

wow tough guy, making threats?

lol you are really an obsessed xbox fanatic aren't you? Dude chill the hell out, you aint bad. Stop getting mad because everyone doesn't praise your plastic girlfriend and lie to themselves about how great she is.

I Owned the original xbox since day 1 and MS DID drop support for it in 2004, I clearly remember because that was when they released Halo 2 and then left it barren from then on out till they released the 360.

Allowing xbox to remain on the market for anyone who is generous enough to keep funneling money into XBL and playing multiplats isn't support. This isn't business wars, it's system wars. If you want to write love letter to MS for how great their money making tactics are then you are in the wrong place and the wrong thread cupcake.

#40 Edited by clr84651 (5281 posts) -

Xbots are used to and like getting shafted by MS. Why else would they be MS loyalists?!

#41 Edited by blamix99 (1540 posts) -

xbox360 gave up when the ps3 catched up around mid 2010

#42 Edited by cainetao11 (15867 posts) -

@

@casharmy said:

@cainetao11 said:

@silversix_ said:

@cainetao11 said:

@silversix_ said:

@Heil68 said:

wow tough guy, making threats?

lol you are really an obsessed xbox fanatic aren't you? Dude chill the hell out, you aint bad. Stop getting mad because everyone doesn't praise your plastic girlfriend and lie to themselves about how great she is.

I Owned the original xbox since day 1 and MS DID drop support for it in 2004, I clearly remember because that was when they released Halo 2 and then left it barren from then on out till they released the 360.

Allowing xbox to remain on the market for anyone who is generous enough to keep funneling money into XBL and playing multiplats isn't support. This isn't business wars, it's system wars. If you want to write love letter to MS for how great their money making tactics are then you are in the wrong place and the wrong thread cupcake.

Listen up fruitcake, I don't care if you don't like any console. But to call people who don't share your view point brain dead is lo class, a$$hole. That's what he did. Two of those people who really enjoyed that casual stuff are family members so yeah that made me mad. I didn't just make a threat, I posted my location fruitcake. I got nothing to hide. So go ahead try to spin this into some fanboy crap, if it makes you feel good. Ive been here for years, those that matter know I always go with multiple platforms.This isn't business wars? But that's your whole argument! They didn't support it the way you feel it should be supported. Why do YOU get to define support? Maybe you forgot a game called Jade Empire that came out in 2005. Yes multiplats are support. Yes if you own a console and Madden comes out its a reason to own it. So you can play it. Man you kids have no idea what business is about. Business matters to some people cause they are always posting about Nintendos low sales and PS' high pre orders.

#43 Edited by Senor_Kami (8258 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa: Are you saying Sony will drop the PS3 or that it's going to continue to see tons of 1st party AAA content? BTW, I've been gaming since the NES days. Sony has always kept their systems in stores and in production well into the lifetime of the next gen console and tell me one time where a new gen console came out from a company and the old gen didn't significantly fall off in terms of AAA 1st party support.

Your fanboyism has blinded you to a reality that has repeated itself for well over 30 years now.

#44 Edited by sukraj (21641 posts) -

@clr84651 said:

Xbots are used to and like getting shafted by MS. Why else would they be MS loyalists?!

wot is wot that is all I need to say