30fps looks better, but 60fps feels better

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Epic-gamerz (196 posts) -

Ok obviously not true for all games because some art style looks better in 60fps like Racers, side scrollers, futuristic games. But some games just look straight out better at 30fps, mostly due to the art style. If the art style is post apocalyptic, or Roman Empire or fantasy based, it just belongs in the more cinematic looking 30fps. For example I just got a PS4 and Killzone online at 60fps just looks totally different and not the Killzone I know of on PS3, just kills the whole art style.

So just here to say that 60fps is Not meant for every single game style despite what the tech guys and fanboys, especially PC gamers say. I believe that in the future when all hardware can run games at 60+ fps as a norm, 30fps will become an art filter and will modded/ added to games for the specific cinematic look.

#2 Posted by lostrib (40135 posts) -

not sure if serious

#4 Posted by CrownKingArthur (5085 posts) -

in terms of frame rates, i pretty much find the visual appeal is a linear function of frame rate.

#5 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@epic-gamerz said:

Ok obviously not true for all games because some art style looks better in 60fps like Racers, side scrollers, futuristic games. But some games just look straight out better at 30fps, mostly due to the art style. If the art style is post apocalyptic, or Roman Empire or fantasy based, it just belongs in the more cinematic looking 30fps. For example I just got a PS4 and Killzone online at 60fps just looks totally different and not the Killzone I know of on PS3, just kills the whole art style.

So just here to say that 60fps is Not meant for every single game style despite what the tech guys and fanboys, especially PC gamers say. I believe that in the future when all hardware can run games at 60+ fps as a norm, 30fps will become an art filter and will modded/ added to games for the specific cinematic look.

Speak for yourself. I really don't see how more fluid movement and less blurryness when turning kills the art style. 60fps better resembles how we see things in reality.

#6 Edited by MonsieurX (31208 posts) -

cool alt

#7 Posted by kalipekona (2301 posts) -

@epic-gamerz said:

Ok obviously not true for all games because some art style looks better in 60fps like Racers, side scrollers, futuristic games. But some games just look straight out better at 30fps, mostly due to the art style. If the art style is post apocalyptic, or Roman Empire or fantasy based, it just belongs in the more cinematic looking 30fps. For example I just got a PS4 and Killzone online at 60fps just looks totally different and not the Killzone I know of on PS3, just kills the whole art style.

So just here to say that 60fps is Not meant for every single game style despite what the tech guys and fanboys, especially PC gamers say. I believe that in the future when all hardware can run games at 60+ fps as a norm, 30fps will become an art filter and will modded/ added to games for the specific cinematic look.

All games have smoother movement, better temporal resolution (how clear the image is while there is movement), and more responsive controls at 60fps vs 30fps. All games are better at 60fps.

#9 Edited by lundy86_4 (43891 posts) -

I can honestly just go ahead, and throw out a "what?" I mean, it's just so unbelievably "what" worthy.

#10 Edited by NFJSupreme (5386 posts) -

true 60fps with no dips in framerate>30fps in every way. Now 60fps with dips into the 30s you could argue is < a rock solid 30fps. depends on how frequent the dips are.

#11 Edited by the_bi99man (11054 posts) -

Oi, this nonsense again. Stop kidding yourself, TC. Higher framerates are objectively better in every way, for everything. Obviously, plenty of games look good enough and play good enough at 30 fps that it's not a huge deal, but the fact remains, even those would look and play even better at 60 fps (or more). Enough of this asinine damage control, acting like there's actually an advantage to lower framerates. There's not. If it weren't for hardware limitations, all video games would run at 120+ fps, and not a single person would think that's a bad thing.

Again, I'm not saying that 30 fps is bad, it's just that more is better. Always.

#12 Edited by FragTycoon (6430 posts) -

Just like switching channels when this happened.....

...all you can say is "wut?"

#13 Edited by Ripsaw1994 (166 posts) -

This can't be serious :lol:

#14 Posted by Phazevariance (11012 posts) -

30fps and 60fps can have the exact same picture fidelity, except 60fps animates smoother. 60fps will always be better than 30fps unless graphcis quality had to be sacrificed to meet 60fps. That, then, would be a developers choice.

#15 Posted by Epic-gamerz (196 posts) -

Not all games fit the 60fps look. Some just look better and more cinematic in 30fps. Just imagine watching the Hunger Games in 60fps, would really kill the cinematic look. Again, I believe in the future some games will have a cinematic 30fps art filter while the controller response is still 60+fps

#16 Posted by lostrib (40135 posts) -

@epic-gamerz said:

Not all games fit the 60fps look. Some just look better and more cinematic in 30fps. Just imagine watching the Hunger Games in 60fps, would really kill the cinematic look. Again, I believe in the future some games will have a cinematic 30fps art filter while the controller response is still 60+fps

this is a joke right?

#17 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (15304 posts) -

No matter what I always go for performance over quality. Although Beyond Two Souls was pretty fucking good at 30fps.

#18 Edited by Grey_Eyed_Elf (3943 posts) -

...

#19 Edited by blamix99 (2462 posts) -

LOL.. really?

#20 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14081 posts) -

Any hardware these days could technically run at 60fps if you compromise the visuals.

#21 Posted by sukraj (23472 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

...wut?...

wut is wut?

#22 Posted by PAL360 (27093 posts) -

60fps is better in every possible way.

#24 Posted by m_machine024 (15076 posts) -

He's just saying that some games would lost their cinematic feel if run at 60 fps. 30fps is closer to the film/movie framerate (24fps).

It's pretty much like some movies can look really bad in 48fps (twice the normal framerate).

But we're talking gaming here so it's not that bad. :P

#25 Posted by -Unreal- (24544 posts) -

Low frame rate is cinematic when your preferred platform is only capable of it.

Resolution doesn't matter except in examples where your preferred platform is capable of it.

consolelogic

#26 Edited by bezza2011 (2687 posts) -

what :S lol how does 30fps make a game look better lol the look of a game comes down to the res and the art style and skills of the developer,

games are ok at 30fps at 1080p there good but the bigger the frame rate the better the image quality in motion that's just facts

lol what is this everyone knows this, certain games can get away with being 30fps yes but it is no way better than a game at 60fps or above, as much as i love my PS4 i know full well that a top grade pc which can throw out the same game i can play on the PS4 at say 120fps at 1080p or above will look amazingly better, :S

#27 Posted by jsmoke03 (13035 posts) -

i can only tell frame rates if it has a huge frame rate drop or when it comes to some fps....so i can kind of see where you are going but everyone here seems to call you dumb so yea....ill just join the mob on this one

#28 Edited by Roler42 (804 posts) -

How does framerate affect the look of a game... How does that even make sense?!?!?!?

#29 Edited by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

Congrats TC, you've reached a new level of stupidity on System Wars. What you said had horrible logic behind it and made no sense what so ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKjxFJfcrcA

#30 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7623 posts) -

I like to play games at 1080p with the highest possible frame rate, but I will upgrade my pc and start gaming at 4k, 60+ fps as soon as that is affordable to me.

#31 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38218 posts) -

It really doesnt. I've heard all manner of excuses for why 30 is better "more filmic experience" and shit and its all really dumb.

60 fps is far greater. Its smoother and more consistent and makes 3D camera panning much better and stuff in motion looks better

It also feels better cos you have morr frames responding to your inputs. You have more direct control over the movement and have less delay or stuttering.

60 is better all day everyday

#32 Posted by blackace (21242 posts) -

@FragTycoon said:

Just like switching channels when this happened.....

...all you can say is "wut?"

Daft Punk Album of the Year.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/27/5349236/daft-punk-wins-album-of-the-year-at-the-grammys

I'm not surprised you would say "Wut!?" lol!!

#33 Edited by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

This is what happens when you go die hard for consoles. You become dumber out of hate for PC. Kind of like a primitive human who hates civilized society, who makes excuses of why his Cave is better than a modern home with electricity and air conditioner lol.

#34 Edited by gameofthering (10401 posts) -

More frames is always better.

#35 Posted by Doom_HellKnight (12208 posts) -

More frames > Less frames.

#36 Posted by EducatingU_PCMR (889 posts) -

Another retarded thread using the "cinematic experience" argument.

Lock and ban please.

#37 Posted by Jag85 (4961 posts) -

@m_machine024 said:

He's just saying that some games would lost their cinematic feel if run at 60 fps. 30fps is closer to the film/movie framerate (24fps).

It's pretty much like some movies can look really bad in 48fps (twice the normal framerate).

But we're talking gaming here so it's not that bad. :P

This.

Why movies like The Hobbit are moving from 24 to 48 fps

A lot of moviegoers are reacting negatively to 48 fps movies, because it feels more like real-life rather than an artistic/cinematic fantasy...

In other words, when it comes to cinematic cut-scenes, 30 fps isn't such a bad thing... But when it comes to the actual gameplay, that same 30 fps ends up feeling really sluggish.

#38 Posted by Motokid6 (6010 posts) -

@blackace said:

@FragTycoon said:

Just like switching channels when this happened.....

...all you can say is "wut?"

Daft Punk Album of the Year.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/27/5349236/daft-punk-wins-album-of-the-year-at-the-grammys

I'm not surprised you would say "Wut!?" lol!!

Idk wtf TC's on about, but YES that's good to see. I wish I watched the grammys now. Random Access Memories HIT IT OUT OF THE PARK. Im a sucker for anything Daft Punk though, so..

#39 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16934 posts) -

Good for you

#40 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

30fps is OK, but 60fps is ALWAYS better.

#41 Edited by musicalmac (23267 posts) -

This is a refreshingly SW thread. Brings me back...

#42 Posted by RimacBugatti (1287 posts) -

@epic-gamerz: 120 fps brings realistic fluidity. 30 fps is way too jumpy. Forza 5 runs a lot better than Need for Speed. I'm not speaking of visuals but actually playing the game. It just makes it look better.

#43 Posted by Douevenlift_bro (5249 posts) -

nice try lems

#44 Edited by soulitane (13668 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

@m_machine024 said:

He's just saying that some games would lost their cinematic feel if run at 60 fps. 30fps is closer to the film/movie framerate (24fps).

It's pretty much like some movies can look really bad in 48fps (twice the normal framerate).

But we're talking gaming here so it's not that bad. :P

This.

Why movies like The Hobbit are moving from 24 to 48 fps

A lot of moviegoers are reacting negatively to 48 fps movies, because it feels more like real-life rather than an artistic/cinematic fantasy...

In other words, when it comes to cinematic cut-scenes, 30 fps isn't such a bad thing... But when it comes to the actual gameplay, that same 30 fps ends up feeling really sluggish.

Personally I loved the 48fps in The Hobbit. It allowed me to actually see the movement for once in 3D without it blurring like crazy.

#45 Posted by Roler42 (804 posts) -

You know, when i'm playing a game, I want to play a game, if i want "cinematic artistic value" I go watch a movie, I don't play games just to "feel like in a movie"

And besides... How in the world does less framerate make a game look better? Has OP ever... Bah, why do i bother

#46 Edited by Jag85 (4961 posts) -

@soulitane said:

@Jag85 said:

@m_machine024 said:

He's just saying that some games would lost their cinematic feel if run at 60 fps. 30fps is closer to the film/movie framerate (24fps).

It's pretty much like some movies can look really bad in 48fps (twice the normal framerate).

But we're talking gaming here so it's not that bad. :P

This.

Why movies like The Hobbit are moving from 24 to 48 fps

A lot of moviegoers are reacting negatively to 48 fps movies, because it feels more like real-life rather than an artistic/cinematic fantasy...

In other words, when it comes to cinematic cut-scenes, 30 fps isn't such a bad thing... But when it comes to the actual gameplay, that same 30 fps ends up feeling really sluggish.

Personally I loved the 48fps in The Hobbit. It allowed me to actually see the movement for once in 3D without it blurring like crazy.

For 3D movies, 48 fps makes sense. But for 2D movies, 48 fps just doesn't feel right.

Games are a different story though. Movies are pre-shot or pre-rendered, whereas games are rendered in real-time. 24 fps might look fine for pre-rendered movies, but for real-time games it would end up feeling sluggish.

#47 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4322 posts) -

The reason that killzone looks worse in multiplayer is not the framerate.

#48 Edited by EtherealMachine (96 posts) -

60fps > 30fps

I hate when I'm playing a game on PC and it goes from 60fps gameplay to 30fps cutscenes, it just irks me.