2DS has sold 2.1 million units.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

http://gamesided.com/2014/02/02/nintendo-reveals-2ds-sales-numbers/

Not bad, although not exactly very impressive. But the 2DS seems to be doing better than the flop people had thought it would be. It could eventually hurt 3DS sales though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Jakandsigz said:

Not bad, although not exactly very impressive. But the 2DS seems to be doing better than the flop people had thought it would be. It could eventually hurt 3DS sales though.

How does this matter, when it is in fact nothing but a 3DS?

As for the sales, it's only selling in two territories, and hasn't even launched in the platform's strongest territory yet, so 2 million is pretty good, all said and done.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

i think the systems only flaw is that its not a flip top handheld. i like it and it appeals to more than the 3ds

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#4  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Why treat the 2DS and 3DS as if they're separate systems? They're both the same thing. And according to Nintendo's official sales figures, the Nintendo 3DS (including the 2DS model) sold about 7.8 million units last quarter (October-December 2013), almost as much as the total shipments of both the PS4 and X1 combined (about 8.1 million shipments combined).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Jag85 said:

Why treat the 2DS and 3DS as if they're separate systems? They're both the same thing. And according to Nintendo's official sales figures, the Nintendo 3DS (including the 2DS model) sold about 7.8 million units last quarter (October-December 2013), almost as much as the total shipments of both the PS4 and X1 combined (about 8.1 million shipments combined).

Yes, and overall 3DS sales now stand at 42 million.

Nintendo is winning the next gen war.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@Jakandsigz said:

As for the sales, it's only selling in two territories, and hasn't even launched in the platform's strongest territory yet, so 2 million is pretty good, all said and done.

It's called cani- Man since that avatar change you REALLY HAVE been falling down some stairs headfirst. Basic business as well as certain top companies mistakes involving similar situations seem to be over your head.

@Jag85 said:

oh my god the, I just, wow.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

The 2DS is in fact a 3DS, Jakandderp.

Suggesting there is cannibalization from the 2DS is like suggesting the iphone 5c is taking away iphone sales.

Seems like you were dropped down some stairs as a child.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Jakandsigz said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Jakandsigz said:

It's called cani- Man since that avatar change you REALLY HAVE been falling down some stairs headfirst. Basic business as well as certain top companies mistakes involving similar situations seem to be over your head.

@Jag85 said:

You're a fucking <censored to avoid irreversible moderation>

It's the same system, there is no cannibalization, it's adding to the overall install base you moron.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

@Jakandsigz said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@Jag85 said:

Dude, they're the same damn console.

Different design but they play the same damn games and do the same damn thing.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

HELLO EVERYONE

This is freedomfreak. If you have a PC or 3DS/2DS, you should buy Steamworld Dig. A user called 'speedfreak' brought this game up not too long ago, and freedomfreak said:

"Guess I'll have to buy it.'

freedomfreak(I) did. And the game is sooooo good. It's addictive. Fun. Charming. God, GET THIS GAME NOW I LOVE YOU

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

just an amazing thread. i love threads like this.

hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts

I got a 2DS last week with Pokemon Y.

Its constantly reminding me of my childhood every time I turn it on.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

Not sure why people still buy handhelds when your cell phone can emulate old consoles and handhelds.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

This thread was relatively interesting, but became funny as ****.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jag85

@no-scope-AK47 said:

Not sure why people still buy handhelds when your cell phone can emulate old consoles and handhelds.

Because the 3DS has a superior library of current-gen core games that the mobiles are lacking... And it's possible to hack the 3DS to run emulators of older console/handheld games... And it's cheaper than a smartphone... And you don't need to buy any gamepad accessories for decent controls.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#16 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

mha, I bet good percent of the people is a small budget

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

@Jag85 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

Because the 3DS has a superior library of current-gen core games that the mobiles are lacking... And it's possible to hack the 3DS to run emulators of older console/handheld games.

agreed, 99% games on phones don't even come close to any games on ds/3ds

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jag85

@k2theswiss said:

@Jag85 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

Because the 3DS has a superior library of current-gen core games that the mobiles are lacking... And it's possible to hack the 3DS to run emulators of older console/handheld games.

agreed, 99% games on phones don't even come close to any games on ds/3ds

Exactly. That's why mobiles can never replace handhelds, or at least not anytime in the near future. Case in point: Japan has had the largest mobile gaming market for over a decade now, yet at the same time it still has the largest handheld market. Handhelds and mobiles have been co-existing there for over a decade. All the hype about mobiles replacing handhelds was mostly nonsense.

Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Locutus_Picard
Member since 2004 • 4159 Posts

It's a gimped version of an already gimped handheld.

$99 Vita roflstomp fisher price hardware. Thank you based Sony.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 no-scope-AK47

@Jag85 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

Because the 3DS has a superior library of current-gen core games that the mobiles are lacking... And it's possible to hack the 3DS to run emulators of older console/handheld games... And it's cheaper than a smartphone... And you don't need to buy any gamepad accessories for decent controls.

Obviously I can't post links but I think you will be surprised what your cell phone can run. You can also use your playstation gamepad as well. You can even play on your hdtv if you want. Best of all the price is free to very low besides the price of your cell phone. I have a note 3 and sony z1s and games play pretty good on them.

I am also not limited to just nintendo games either or sony games. I play everything sure I can't play 3ds or vita games but I have so many games who cares. It's only a mater of time before cell phones reach vita level power and graphics.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jag85

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@Jag85 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

Obviously I can't post links but I think you will be surprised what your cell phone can run. You can also use your playstation gamepad as well. You can even play on your hdtv if you want. Best of all the price is free to very low besides the price of your cell phone. I have a note 3 and sony z1s and games play pretty good on them.

I am also not limited to just nintendo games either or sony games. I play everything sure I can't play 3ds or vita games but I have so many games who cares. It's only a mater of time before cell phones reach vita level power and graphics.

Perhaps, but my smartphone is still lacking quality AAA exclusives. And the reason for that is because of one of the "benefits" you just mentioned: "the price is free to low". That's great for consumers looking for cheap shovelware, but that's exactly what's holding back mobile app developers from creating core AAA games for mobiles. There just isn't any financial incentives there for developers to create the kinds of quality AAA games you'd see on a traditional handheld like the 3DS. And that's why it's still very successful despite the rise of mobile gaming, because they're two very different markets catering to different audiences. The 3DS is mainly targeted towards core gamers, while mobiles are mainly targeted towards casuals.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@no-scope-AK47 said:

Some people aren't filthy pirates.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By no-scope-AK47

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

Some people aren't filthy pirates.

Lmao hey I plead the fifth on that

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 no-scope-AK47

@Jag85 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

Perhaps, but my smartphone is still lacking quality AAA exclusives. And the reason for that is because of one of the "benefits" you just mentioned: "the price is free to low". That's great for consumers looking for cheap shovelware, but that's exactly what's holding back mobile app developers from creating core AAA games for mobiles. There just isn't any financial incentives there for developers to create the kinds of quality AAA games you'd see on a traditional handheld like the 3DS. And that's why it's still very successful despite the rise of mobile gaming, because they're two very different markets catering to different audiences. The 3DS is mainly targeted towards core gamers, while mobiles are mainly targeted towards casuals.

Your playing all the old school AAA games from the nes to ps2. You can play all the psp and ds games also. That is thousands of games.

DarthBilf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DarthBilf
Member since 2004 • 1357 Posts

@Jakandsigz said:

You're joking, right?

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

Thats pretty good considering its not even released in Japan. The biggest market.

I own one, soley because its more comfortable than the 3DS.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jag85

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@Jag85 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

Your playing all the old school AAA games from the nes to ps2. You can play all the psp and ds games also. That is thousands of games.

True, but I can also play them on my PC in much higher quality. What the mobiles lack are AAA exclusives, which the 3DS has in abundance. That is why the 3DS has been very successful despite the mobile gaming boom.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lundy86_4

@Locutus_Picard said:

It's a gimped version of an already gimped handheld.

$99 Vita roflstomp fisher price hardware. Thank you based Sony.

AFAIK, the $99 Vita was not an official price drop. Whelp, it seems it was at select Best Buys.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 no-scope-AK47

@Jag85 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

True, but I can also play them on my PC in much higher quality. What the mobiles lack are AAA exclusives, which the 3DS has in abundance. That is why the 3DS has been very successful despite the mobile gaming boom.

The whole point is it's mobile like the 3ds and it does so much more. I have a gaming pc/ps3/4 already and a asus rog laptop. I don't need to lug them around when I have a cell phone that does psp level gaming. Next year pretty sure the next gen cell phones will be as strong as the vita.

I pull out my dual shock 3 and my cell phone and I have hours of gaming on the cheap. I get tired of that I can watch netflix/hulu/cruchyroll/amazon prime on 4g at 1080p. I can surf the web and do social media ect. Cell phone gaming is here it's huge maybe not here but it's the future. I honestly don't know how the psp vita/3ds can keep up cell phones move too fast.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lundy86_4

@no-scope-AK47 said:

I pull out my dual shock 3 and my cell phone and I have hours of gaming on the cheap.

Yeah, you need a more viable option. A DS3 is drastically harder to carry around than a phone, let alone at the same time.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By no-scope-AK47

@lundy86_4 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

I pull out my dual shock 3 and my cell phone and I have hours of gaming on the cheap.

Yeah, you need a more viable option. A DS3 is drastically harder to carry around than a phone, let alone at the same time.

That's if you don't like the touchscreen it's not a must.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lundy86_4

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

That sentence made zero sense.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By no-scope-AK47

@lundy86_4 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

That sentence made zero sense.

What part don't you understand. The emulator has virtual buttons on the touchscreen but I like using the ds3 instead. I can play using the virtual buttons and I can change the layout. You can find videos on youtube for more info.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
@Jakandsigz said:

Man I hope not! That would be like when the PS3 slim murdered the PS3.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

I'm betting if they would have made a version with a clam shell design similar to the DS / 3DS it probably would have sold even more.

I guess it is aimed at really young kids so the non clam shell version is probably better, but I know I would have bought a 2DS instead of a 3DS if the 2DS wasn't so fugly.