2D Mario games or 2D Sonic games?

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll 2D Mario games or 2D Sonic games? (24 votes)

2D Sonic is better 21%
2D Super Mario is better 79%

LET´S LEAVE KART GAMES, 3D GAMES BEHIND. LET´S TALK ABOUT 2D MARIO AND SONIC GAMES.

2D GAME WITH ALSO 3D GAMEPLAY DOES NOT COUNT(LIKE PAPER MARIO)

Who had better 2D games?

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1  Edited By deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Mario.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

Mario.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Mario

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Mario by a mile.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts
@Gamerno6666 said:

MARIO.

@freedomfreak said:

MARIO.

@MlauTheDaft said:

MARIO

@Boddicker said:

MARIO BY A MILE.

FIXED THAT FOR YOU GUYS.

NO NEED FOR THANKS.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

Sonic, no question. Way better controls, music, atmosphere, and speed. Mario rehashes the same tropes and music over and over, and just loves to waste your time with nonsensical crap.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:

Sonic, no question. Way better controls, music, atmosphere, and speed. Mario rehashes the same tropes and music over and over, and just loves to waste your time with nonsensical crap.

and sonic doesn't? Its always a egg shaped madman with robots kidnapping small animals. Sonic hasn't changed much himself. Just different.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#9 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Both are better than your threads.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@bunchanumbers said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

and sonic doesn't? Its always a egg shaped madman with robots kidnapping small animals. Sonic hasn't changed much himself. Just different.

I'm not talking bout the plot, which also is way more diverse and richer than Mario's. I've been playing both of these franchises for over 20 years, and Sonic knows how to switch it up (and do it well) far better than Mario has in the 2D realm.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#11 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Mario.

miiiiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 miiiiv
Member since 2013 • 943 Posts

@PonchoTaco said:
@Gamerno6666 said:

MARIO.

@freedomfreak said:

MARIO.

@MlauTheDaft said:

MARIO

@Boddicker said:

MARIO BY A MILE.

FIXED THAT FOR YOU GUYS.

NO NEED FOR THANKS.

This^

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bunchanumbers
@Renegade_Fury said:

@bunchanumbers said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

I'm not talking bout the plot, which also is way more diverse and richer than Mario's. I've been playing both these franchises for over 20 years, and Sonic knows how to switch it up (and do it well) far better than Mario has in the 2D realm.

Sonic is also years younger than Mario. Not only that it didn't get its big break until it was already 16 bit. Naturally its going to be different. 2D Mario on the SNES had Mario World and Yoshi's Island. Neither one was the same. And don't point at the Sega Master System. That Sonic came out in 91.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

Both franchises have their classics, but I would put every single 2D Super Mario except for New Super Mario Bros. U, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Land, and The Lost Levels in my Top 100 Games of All Time. And even the ones I just named are great. Super Mario 3, Super Mario World, and Yoshi's Island are in my top 10 favorite games ever. Sonic 2 for Genesis would almost make my top 20.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Renegade_Fury

@bunchanumbers said:
@Renegade_Fury said:

@bunchanumbers said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

I'm not talking bout the plot, which also is way more diverse and richer than Mario's. I've been playing both these franchises for over 20 years, and Sonic knows how to switch it up (and do it well) far better than Mario has in the 2D realm.

Sonic is also years younger than Mario. Not only that it didn't get its big break until it was already 16 bit. Naturally its going to be different. 2D Mario on the SNES had Mario World and Yoshi's Island. Neither one was the same. And don't point at the Sega Master System. That Sonic came out in 91.

Both of these franchises are decades old, so a 5-6 year gap is irrelevant. That, and I don't think you know what I'm getting at. Compare Sonic 1 to Sonic Rush, and the gameplay is significantly different. Hell, compare Sonic 1, 2, CD, and 3 & Knuckles to each other, and the improvements in gameplay, level design, and music is still noticeable. Mario, on the other hand, never changes to such significant degrees, and that includes within the games themselves. I can go through Mario World from start to finish, and I'll still be looking at the same levels and hearing the same music.

Innovazero2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Innovazero2000
Member since 2006 • 3159 Posts

Sonic for me, I liked Mario but also gravitated towards Sonic games.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bunchanumbers

@Renegade_Fury said:

@bunchanumbers said:
@Renegade_Fury said:

@bunchanumbers said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

Both of these franchises are decades old, so a 5-6 year gap is irrelevant. That, and I don't think you know what I'm getting at. Compare Sonic 1 to Sonic Rush, and the gameplay is significantly different. Hell, compare Sonic 1, 2, CD, and 3 & Knuckles to each other, and the improvements in gameplay, level design, and music is still noticeable. Mario, on the other hand, never changes to such significant degrees, and that includes within the games themselves. I can go through Mario World from start to finish, and I'll still be looking at the same levels and hearing the same music.

A 5-6 year gap is relevant when it involves a different generation. Sonic was already 16 bit when it got its start. Mario was 8 bit. You can point to the differences in games because 3 Mario games were 8 bit. And even then Mario was doing different things gameplay wise. Certainly at least as much as Sonic did. Mario got different power ups with every game outside of Mario 2. By Mario 3 he was flying through the sky and by Mario World he could skip entire stages with a cape if he so chose. Secret pathways and warping meant you could go and see other things. Sonic never had any of these.

I'll give you credit about the music though. Sonic's music was pretty good.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

@Renegade_Fury: Hmm, that's interesting. When I think of Super Mario World, I think of the hidden switch stages, secret exits, water levels in which Mario swims, auto-scrolling cave levels, castle stages, fortresses, riding Yoshi, stages built around falling down a seemingly never-ending pit, timed-puzzles, mazes, bosses that require strategy and good reflexes, roller-coaster lava stages, sky stages with moving platforms, an unconventional map, bizarre bonus levels, in-stage bonus games, etc, etc, etc. Super Mario World was probably the most diverse game of its time; the Super Mario franchise has always excelled in that area, and still does.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

mario is on a different level completely. sonic 1-3 are good games but mario is much better, just a lot more complexty and depth

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

Mario was like jump and walk... Sonic was collecting stuff, boss fighting, better music, better graphics..

So yeah, Sonic.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@bunchanumbers said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

@bunchanumbers said:
@Renegade_Fury said:

@bunchanumbers said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

A 5-6 year gap is relevant when it involves a different generation. Sonic was already 16 bit when it got its start. Mario was 8 bit. You can point to the differences in games because 3 Mario games were 8 bit. And even then Mario was doing different things gameplay wise. Certainly at least as much as Sonic did. Mario got different power ups with every game outside of Mario 2. By Mario 3 he was flying through the sky and by Mario World he could skip entire stages with a cape if he so chose. Secret pathways and warping meant you could go and see other things. Sonic never had any of these.

Again, it's been a long time, and there have been many more games released for both franchises since their inception. Show me a game where Mario, and I'm talking about Mario, where the gameplay has changed as radically as from say Sonic 2 has to something like Colors DS. That's a trick question, because there isn't one. Mario's core has remained the same, and it will never change because it lives off an endless supply of nostalgia.

Going back to the early days though, are you really using level skips and simple power ups as big changes? Mario 1 and 2 are the same game, and the tanooki tail/suit and cape are the same power up, and everyone knows it. Nothing changed or was added to Mario on the scale of things like the spin dash, flying, climbing, elemental shields, the special zones, time warping, super/hyper transformations, etc.

Anyway, Mario isn't even my second favorite platformer franchise. Mega Man, NiGHTS, Rocket Knight, Castlevania, Shinobi, and if you want to count games like Gunstar Heroes or Metroid, I consider to be all better than Mario. It's just a very play it safe franchise, and other than for the 3D games every once in a while, a very stale one in my eyes.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bunchanumbers

@Renegade_Fury said:

@bunchanumbers said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

@bunchanumbers said:
@Renegade_Fury said:

@bunchanumbers said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

Again, it's been a long time, and there have been many more games released for both franchises since their inception. Show me a game where Mario, and I'm talking about Mario, where the gameplay has changed as radically as from say Sonic 2 has to something like Colors DS. That's a trick question, because there isn't one. Mario's core has remained the same, and it will never change because it lives off an endless supply of nostalgia.

Going back to the early days though, are you really using level skips and simple power ups as big changes? Mario 1 and 2 are the same game, and the tanooki tail/suit and cape are the same power up, and everyone knows it. Nothing changed or was added to Mario on the scale of things like the spin dash, flying, climbing, elemental shields, the special zones, time warping, super/hyper transformations, etc.

Anyway, Mario isn't even my second favorite platmormer franchise. Mega Man, NiGHTS, Rocket Knight, Castlevania, Shinobi, and if you want to count games like Gunstar Heroes or Metroid, I consider to be all better than Mario. It's just a very play it safe franchise, and other than for the 3D games, a very stale one in my eyes.

You're also neglecting the Frog Suit, Hammer bro suit, P Wing etc. etc. You also forgot that Mario ended up with a ground pound, spin attack, triple jump, wall jumps etc. Mario himself has evolved far more than you give him credit for. Hell Sonic was the most boring character of the bunch. Tails could fly and Knuckles could climb walls. And both were just as fast.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

Sonic. No contest. Mario is like a 2d platform game with training wheels.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Renegade_Fury
@bunchanumbers said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

@bunchanumbers said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

@bunchanumbers said:
@Renegade_Fury said:

@bunchanumbers said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

Anyway, Mario isn't even my second favorite platmormer franchise. Mega Man, NiGHTS, Rocket Knight, Castlevania, Shinobi, and if you want to count games like Gunstar Heroes or Metroid, I consider to be all better than Mario. It's just a very play it safe franchise, and other than for the 3D games, a very stale one in my eyes.

You're also neglecting the Frog Suit, Hammer bro suit, P Wing etc. etc. You also forgot that Mario ended up with a ground pound, spin attack, triple jump, wall jumps etc. Mario himself has evolved far more than you give him credit for. Hell Sonic was the most boring character of the bunch. Tails could fly and Knuckles could climb walls. And both were just as fast.

No, I'm not forgetting any of that. Actually, I'm very well aware of those, which is why I find the new super mario bros. games to be so boring, because there was nothing added to that core arsenal. Notice how I say core too, because power ups are just that: power ups. It's the same old gameplay as World, as where in Sonic, we've seen game changers like the homing attack and boost implemented.

Sonic is the fastest, has the best transformations, can use the "insta shield" attack to kill spiked enemies, and most significantly in 3 & Knuckles, can use the elemental shields' secondary abilities. Just because of the latter, Sonic is by far my favorite character to play out of the original 3.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#28  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Aw TC, you mad that your stealth thread backfired again?

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Renegade_Fury

@LJS9502_basic said:

Sonic. No contest. Mario is like a 2d platform game with training wheels.

My dude right here. *high fives*