2 sepearate versions of the Nextbox incoming?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bruce_Benzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Bruce_Benzing
Member since 2012 • 1731 Posts

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/22/report-two-versions-of-the-next-xbox

A new report suggests that Microsoft's next generation Xbox will come in two very different models.

The first is the console we're all expecting, providing true next-generation gaming experiences, while the other will be a more affordable unit aimed at the casual market. The latter is said to use Windows 8 as the basis of its operating system, and won't be able to run the latest triple-A titles, but will support downloadable casual games from Xbox Live.

So it will function more like a set-top box, or an Apple TV, allowing a greater number of consumers to experience the console's growing range of entertainment apps. Apparently, the next-gen Xbox will be an 'always on' device that starts up almost instantly, letting you resume your game with little downtime.

This latest report comes from The Verge, which cites "multiple sources familiar with Redmond's plans". (Redmond, if you were wondering, is the location of Microsoft's head quarters.) It also claims that this twin SKU approach is part of a larger Microsoft strategy to ensure that its core Xbox software is 'scalable' to run on a variety of devices. There's even talk of making it so that a phone could be capable of delivering a full Xbox Live experience. It has also looked into including licensing core Xbox functionality into television sets.

It's believed that both devices will be announced sometime in 2013 and made available before the end of the year.

Of course we lnow by default Cows will pretend it's a bad idea, unless Sony announces the same exact thing......DISCUSS

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
that would be the absolute best thing they could do. all i know is, i do NOT want anything close to the power of WiiU.
layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 layton2012
Member since 2011 • 3489 Posts
And people think the Wii U is confusing to consumers, this would be much worse.
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

And people think the Wii U is confusing to consumers, this would be much worse.layton2012
its not confusing to gamers. 360's crowd and Wii's crowd aren't the same. soccer mom's would get confused but not a gamer that is hyped for Far Cry 3 for example. if they send the message right (its MS so it will mostly be right) it could be great.

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts

[QUOTE="layton2012"]And people think the Wii U is confusing to consumers, this would be much worse.silversix_

its not confusing to gamers. 360's crowd and Wii's crowd aren't the same. soccer mom's would get confused but not a gamer that is hyped for Far Cry 3 for example. if they send the message right (its MS so it will mostly be right) it could be great.

You would be wrong there. Kinect has made it the same and that was MS's goal when they released Kinect, to get into the casual gaming market. Having two versions would not only cause confusion. I'm willing to bet that if the casual "720" sells much much more than the hardcore "720" MS is going to drop the hardcore altogether.

layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 layton2012

[QUOTE="layton2012"]And people think the Wii U is confusing to consumers, this would be much worse.silversix_

Sure at first it won't be a problem, but once it releases Halo 5 or the next big game that even casual gamers will want, those so called casual gamers won't be too happy when Halo 5 will not work on their casual next box. It is a mistake, I don't care if this was Sony r Nintendo, this seems idiotic and will confuse consumers.
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

I recently got rid of my xbox360 because of intense dissatisfaction, so i don't really care how many versions of the Nextbox they come out with....i am not interested.

Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

I recently got rid of my xbox360 because of intense dissatisfaction, so i don't really care how many versions of the Nextbox they come out with....i am not interested.

Videodogg

smart man.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

There are quite a few threads on this as it's very old SW news. Today is 11-24, and you are linking an arficle from 11-21, which was posted many times on 11-21 and 11-22 in SW.

Regarding this rumor, we'll see what happens. Obviously, I'm going to get the Premium model of the 720 given the choice at launch.

Also, Nextbox/Xbox 2 came out in 2005. We now know it as the 360.

Xbox 3, 720, and Durango are the names for the third Xbox.

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

Uh, you didn't just imply that the Wii U and Wii U Deluxe are confusing to gamers did you?

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts

[QUOTE="Videodogg"]

Cheleman

smart man.

He's a genius.
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I can see many confused parents buying the wrong version for their kids xD

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

You're in complete fanboy denial if you think Xbox is doing nothing but catering to the market the Wii created. Microsoft smelled money, and they are going fishing were the waters are clear.
layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 layton2012

[QUOTE="silversix_"]

[QUOTE="layton2012"]And people think the Wii U is confusing to consumers, this would be much worse.Zophar87

Uh, you didn't just imply that the Wii U and Wii U Deluxe are confusing to gamers did you?

No, not exactly, its been said the Wii U is confusing to consumers because some thought it was just a peripheral to the Wii, but this 720 rumor would be worse because if you buy the wrong model, it will not be able to play some AAA games, whereas the Wii U models both play all games just with different memory.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Can't say i would be too interested in either of the models to be honest.
nitekids2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nitekids2004
Member since 2005 • 2981 Posts

Microsoft doesn't seem to know who they're targeting next gen.

That's why I go with the PS brand always. You know Sony is never gonna disappoint core gamers ;)

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

[QUOTE="Zophar87"]

[QUOTE="silversix_"]its not confusing to gamers. 360's crowd and Wii's crowd aren't the same. soccer mom's would get confused but not a gamer that is hyped for Far Cry 3 for example. if they send the message right (its MS so it will mostly be right) it could be great.

layton2012

No, not exactly, its been said the Wii U is confusing to consumers because some thought it was just a peripheral to the Wii, but this 720 rumor would be worse because if you buy the wrong model, it will not be able to play some AAA games, whereas the Wii U models both play all games just with different memory.

Okay. Thanks for clarifying.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts
Definitely a bad idea to split your userbase that much. It's the same reason why Nintendo never released a "Wii HD" 3-4 years despite all the theories that they would.
Meeeper282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Meeeper282
Member since 2012 • 1597 Posts

Bet everyone in japan is excited knowing this

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

That's why I go with the PS brand always. You know Sony is never gonna disappoint core gamers ;)

nitekids2004
.....they don't know whom they are targeting because they are releasing 2 different versions targeting 2 different groups?
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#21 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

I'm sorry, but a console that doesn't play AAA games and a console that DOES? Should this rumor be true, then MS IS no doubt going to be hit with the "third console curse".

nitekids2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nitekids2004

[QUOTE="nitekids2004"]

WilliamRLBaker

.....they don't know whom they are targeting because they are releasing 2 different versions targeting 2 different groups?

Anyone who studied a bit of marketing knows this is going to be a disaster.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18794 Posts

BattleSpectre
Of course they will buy the cheaper version.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 WilliamRLBaker

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"][QUOTE="nitekids2004"]

nitekids2004

lol righttttt as compared to the disaster that was multiple sku's for both the 360 and ps3 *the supposed always core you touted* but please do remind me how is the ipad/ipod/iphone line....3 different products that use almost all the exact same software but with a few differing abilities..

but I do love the plathoria of history your drawing from... *none*

El_Garbanzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 El_Garbanzo
Member since 2012 • 296 Posts

[QUOTE="silversix_"]

[QUOTE="layton2012"]And people think the Wii U is confusing to consumers, this would be much worse.layton2012

Sure at first it won't be a problem, but once it releases Halo 5 or the next big game that even casual gamers will want, those so called casual gamers won't be too happy when Halo 5 will not work on their casual next box. It is a mistake, I don't care if this was Sony r Nintendo, this seems idiotic and will confuse consumers.

I dont see this being a problem at all. If someone buys a blu ray movie when he only has a dvd player, it's his own damn fault. Cant expect giant corporations to hold everyones hand just because some moron consumer cant tell left from right. Theyll learn eventually

nitekids2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nitekids2004

[QUOTE="nitekids2004"]

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"] .....they don't know whom they are targeting because they are releasing 2 different versions targeting 2 different groups? WilliamRLBaker

lol righttttt as compared to the disaster that was multiple sku's for both the 360 and ps3 *the supposed always core you touted* but please do remind me how is the ipad/ipod/iphone line....3 different products that use almost all the exact same software but with a few differing abilities..

The multiple SKUs for 360 and PS3 are a different situation. You can both play core and casual games whatever SKUs you buy.

Btw, Iphone did cannibalize Ipod's marketshare while the Ipad is a different thing altogether (tablet).

I can see the same thing happening here. Microsoft should just roll this into one system.

layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 layton2012

[QUOTE="layton2012"][QUOTE="silversix_"]its not confusing to gamers. 360's crowd and Wii's crowd aren't the same. soccer mom's would get confused but not a gamer that is hyped for Far Cry 3 for example. if they send the message right (its MS so it will mostly be right) it could be great.

El_Garbanzo

I dont see this being a problem at all. If someone buys a blu ray movie when he only has a dvd player, it's his own damn fault. Cant expect giant corporations to hold everyones hand just because some moron consumer cant tell left from right. Theyll learn eventually

Yeah that makes sense blame the consumer for not knowing that a product does not play all games, it would be much easier if both skis played all games instead on one not being able to play the next big game.
El_Garbanzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 El_Garbanzo

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

[QUOTE="nitekids2004"]

nitekids2004

The multiple SKUs for 360 and PS3 are a different situation. You can both play core and casual games whatever SKUs you buy.

Btw, Iphone did cannibalize Ipod's marketshare while the Ipad is a different thing altogether (tablet).

I can see the same thing happening here. Microsoft should just roll this into one system.

If the other is a small media box, focused on media features and only does some angry birds like games on the side, and the other full sized gaming console i see them a different things alltogether. If someone wants the media features, but not interested in games or to pay for a big console with expensive cpu's ang gpu's and all that then this sounds good for them

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

LMFAO! It's going to be an awfully good time here in System Wars if this turns out to be true. Watching what few first party development that MS has for it's Xbox brand get split up for different SKUs. I'm wishing MS all the luck in the world with the new casual friendly branding they are going for. The hardcore machine will be junk within a couple years if the casual SKU takes off like the Wii did. ROTFLMAO!

*cheers* to my Lemming friends. To another generation of talking more about multiplats and buying Call of Duty.

El_Garbanzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 El_Garbanzo

[QUOTE="El_Garbanzo"]

[QUOTE="layton2012"] Sure at first it won't be a problem, but once it releases Halo 5 or the next big game that even casual gamers will want, those so called casual gamers won't be too happy when Halo 5 will not work on their casual next box. It is a mistake, I don't care if this was Sony r Nintendo, this seems idiotic and will confuse consumers.layton2012

Yeah that makes sense blame the consumer for not knowing that a product does not play all games, it would be much easier if both skis played all games instead on one not being able to play the next big game.

If it's for peeps that dont care about games? No need for beastly gaming capabilities

El_Garbanzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 El_Garbanzo

LMFAO! It's going to be an awfully good time here in System Wars if this turns out to be true. Watching what few first party development that MS has for it's Xbox brand get split up for different SKUs. I'm wishing MS all the luck in the world with the new casual friendly branding they are going for. The hardcore machine will be junk within a couple years if the casual SKU takes off like the Wii did. ROTFLMAO!

*cheers* to my Lemming friends. To another generation of talking more about multiplats and buying Call of Duty.

Shewgenja

No different sku's. Different products

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

That seems like an awful lot for MS to try to do at once

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 WilliamRLBaker

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

[QUOTE="nitekids2004"]

nitekids2004

1.the ipod is still sold and quite successfully. 2.there is no history of this in the game industry per say. 3.and no its not really different simply put the only downside to this is possible confusion the same kind that happened with different sku's.
Killzonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Killzonage
Member since 2012 • 397 Posts
LOL what the hell Microsoft, no thanks.
CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CwlHeddwyn
Member since 2005 • 5314 Posts
Definitely a bad idea to split your userbase that much. It's the same reason why Nintendo never released a "Wii HD" 3-4 years despite all the theories that they would.1PMrFister
It depends on the branding they use. If they both use the Xbox brand then it will cause issues. However if they change the name and make sure they distance both systems from each other I can see it working.
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

[QUOTE="BattleSpectre"]

PSP107

Of course they will buy the cheaper version.

And then have to return and exchange it when the kiddies find out they can't play the more demanding games.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
Only on sytem wars are options a bad thing, also, only on sytem wars are people apparently 'too stupid' to know the difference between the 2 SKU's and get confused over which one they need,lol
BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

[QUOTE="layton2012"][QUOTE="silversix_"]its not confusing to gamers. 360's crowd and Wii's crowd aren't the same. soccer mom's would get confused but not a gamer that is hyped for Far Cry 3 for example. if they send the message right (its MS so it will mostly be right) it could be great.

El_Garbanzo

I dont see this being a problem at all. If someone buys a blu ray movie when he only has a dvd player, it's his own damn fault. Cant expect giant corporations to hold everyones hand just because some moron consumer cant tell left from right. Theyll learn eventually not to touch Microsoft's concole again.

That is what they will learn Im afraid.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 delta3074

[QUOTE="El_Garbanzo"]

[QUOTE="layton2012"] Sure at first it won't be a problem, but once it releases Halo 5 or the next big game that even casual gamers will want, those so called casual gamers won't be too happy when Halo 5 will not work on their casual next box. It is a mistake, I don't care if this was Sony r Nintendo, this seems idiotic and will confuse consumers.BlbecekBobecek

I dont see this being a problem at all. If someone buys a blu ray movie when he only has a dvd player, it's his own damn fault. Cant expect giant corporations to hold everyones hand just because some moron consumer cant tell left from right. Theyll learn eventually not to touch Microsoft's concole again.

nice opinion, one i don't share unfortunately cos in the Real world, the Xbox is a good console.
BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

[QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

[QUOTE="El_Garbanzo"]I dont see this being a problem at all. If someone buys a blu ray movie when he only has a dvd player, it's his own damn fault. Cant expect giant corporations to hold everyones hand just because some moron consumer cant tell left from right. Theyll learn eventually not to touch Microsoft's concole again.

delta3074

nice opinion, one i don't share unfortunately cos in the Real world, the Xbox is a good console.

The average Joe Consumer buys xbox for his kids (of course the cheaper one), then a few months later buys the next halo because everyone talks about it and finds out it doesnt work. Do you think he will learn that there are two different kinds of xbox and he bought one that is not focused on core games blahblahblahblah, or do you think he just gets pissed and buys a Playstation next time?

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

Confusing customers is not a wise business decision.

It's Microsoft, not surprising.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

2 different systems?hmmm

failosoft

my first xbox insult..lol..enjoy it cows.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#43 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
The goal of a console should be to bridge the gap between hardcore and casual gamer. This split console strategy is a bad idea. I wonder if this is because their hardware intensive console will be extremely expensive.
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 delta3074

[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

BlbecekBobecek

The average Joe Consumer buys xbox for his kids (of course the cheaper one), then a few months later buys the next halo because everyone talks about it and finds out it doesnt work. Do you think he will learn that there are two different kinds of xbox and he bought one that is not focused on core games blahblahblahblah, or do you think he just gets pissed and buys a Playstation next time?

you are assuming that the consumer doesn't know the consoles limitations when he buys it, Because any gamer worth there salt should and why would he buy a console FOR HIS kids to play on it himself, No dude, too many baseless assumtions in your post, you are assuming the average customer is too stupid to know the difference which in itself is a Stupid assumtion to make.
HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13663 Posts

Well the the casual version of ht enext box could share multiplats with the Wii U, while PS4 and 720 have their own. :P

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 delta3074

GamerwillzPS
yep, because Microsoft makes really Bad business descisions right? Would explain why MS Has made a ton of profit and SONy has been losing money for the last 4 years and is on the lowest Credit rating right? Which company made the Bad business descisions? Some people really should think about what they are saying before they post, Because clearly, on sytem wars the company thats making Profit and isn't in the Red is the one that makes bad business decisions,lol
MaskedPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MaskedPlayer
Member since 2012 • 892 Posts
[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

delta3074
yep, because Microsoft makes really Bad business descisions right? Would explain why MS Has made a ton of profit and SONy has been losing money for the last 4 years and is on the lowest Credit rating right? Which company made the Bad business descisions? Some people really should think about what they are saying before they post, Because clearly, on sytem wars the company thats making Profit and isn't in the Red is the one that makes bad business decisions,lol

Yep microsoft make amazing business decisions.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18794 Posts
[QUOTE="El_Garbanzo"]

Actually this is the reason why we have sales rep, its their job to educate consumers on products.
Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

Wouldn't surprise me. I'll just be buying the version with full capabilities.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
More Consoles variations than exclusive games out this year!