1st or 3rd person stealth?

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by jimmyrussle117 (774 posts) -

Note: This isn't a question of wheather you prefer X series over another. Just what view you think works better.

#2 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

Deus Ex:Human Revolution does 1st person and 3rd person and it works perfectly.

#3 Posted by princeofshapeir (13753 posts) -

crimsonman1245
Uh... You're only in third person when you're behind cover. The majority of gameplay is first person. Regardless, first-person stealth games like the Thief series and Dishonored are much better stealth games than the MGS or Splinter Cell series.
#4 Posted by TheEroica (13306 posts) -

ill take third person anything over first person... i like having a peripheral view of what im doing at all times.

#5 Posted by Solid_Link22 (5601 posts) -

crimsonman1245

This :)

#6 Posted by 23Jarek23 (2617 posts) -

I prefer 3rd person but Deus Ex and Dishonored did it so well.

#7 Posted by Wiimotefan (4064 posts) -

3rd for single player stealth, 1st for multiplayer stealth.

#8 Posted by navyguy21 (12745 posts) -
I prefer 3rd person. I think its easier for the player to judge when he or she is actually hidden, and to better judge jump distances. I think it also better immerses the player in the game because the player gets a better view of the environment, and makes camo actually matter. In first person, cool looking armor or camo becomes irrelevant
#9 Posted by jimmyrussle117 (774 posts) -

I prefer 3rd person. I think its easier for the player to judge when he or she is actually hidden, and to better judge jump distances. I think it also better immerses the player in the game because the player gets a better view of the environment, and makes camo actually matter. In first person, cool looking armor or camo becomes irrelevantnavyguy21

Someones never played thief.

#11 Posted by casualU (306 posts) -

have option for both problem solved.

#12 Posted by Gue1 (9498 posts) -

I like both, specially the hybrid of Deus Ex HR with the 3rd person cover. If you give me too much of the same thing I get tired.

#13 Posted by meetroid8 (21139 posts) -
It's easier in third person. You get a better view of the field than with first person.
#14 Posted by navyguy21 (12745 posts) -

[QUOTE="navyguy21"]I prefer 3rd person. I think its easier for the player to judge when he or she is actually hidden, and to better judge jump distances. I think it also better immerses the player in the game because the player gets a better view of the environment, and makes camo actually matter. In first person, cool looking armor or camo becomes irrelevantjimmyrussle117

lol, i have played thief, one of my favorite games. Cant believe we didnt have one this gen. That doesnt make my opinion wrong though. For example, can you imagine MGS or Splinter Cell in first person? I think the whole visible vs hidden mechanic would be gone. Thief was an exception because it had the shadow mechanic, but still feel it wouldve been better in 3rd person.
#16 Posted by jimmyrussle117 (774 posts) -

[QUOTE="jimmyrussle117"]

[QUOTE="navyguy21"]I prefer 3rd person. I think its easier for the player to judge when he or she is actually hidden, and to better judge jump distances. I think it also better immerses the player in the game because the player gets a better view of the environment, and makes camo actually matter. In first person, cool looking armor or camo becomes irrelevantnavyguy21

lol, i have played thief, one of my favorite games. Cant believe we didnt have one this gen. That doesnt make my opinion wrong though. For example, can you imagine MGS or Splinter Cell in first person? I think the whole visible vs hidden mechanic would be gone. Thief was an exception because it had the shadow mechanic, but still feel it wouldve been better in 3rd person.

Thief>every other stealth game ever. Easier=/= better and first person games are natrally more immersive than third person games.

#17 Posted by princeofshapeir (13753 posts) -
[QUOTE="jimmyrussle117"]

[QUOTE="navyguy21"]I prefer 3rd person. I think its easier for the player to judge when he or she is actually hidden, and to better judge jump distances. I think it also better immerses the player in the game because the player gets a better view of the environment, and makes camo actually matter. In first person, cool looking armor or camo becomes irrelevantnavyguy21

Dishonored is very similar to Thief.
#18 Posted by navyguy21 (12745 posts) -

[QUOTE="navyguy21"][QUOTE="jimmyrussle117"]

jimmyrussle117

Thief>every other stealth game ever. Easier=/= better and first person games are natrally more immersive than third person games.

Agree to disagree then. :)
#19 Posted by Another-World (791 posts) -
[QUOTE="navyguy21"][QUOTE="jimmyrussle117"]

princeofshapeir

Dishonored is very similar to Thief.

Oh yes, except for the fact that unlike Garrett, Corvo possesses the personality of a cucumber. Plus it has a lot more additional ways to play, like the magic and stuff, instead of only stealth.
#20 Posted by IgGy621985 (4627 posts) -

First person, but only for horror games like Amnesia. It's more immersive.

#21 Posted by Obviously_Right (5093 posts) -

3rd person all day.

#22 Posted by Thefatness16 (4672 posts) -

First is better.

#23 Posted by Puckhog04 (22606 posts) -

3rd person.

#24 Posted by UnrealLegend (5888 posts) -

1st person. You've got much better control over were you're looking

#25 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
either way it wouldnt make a difference. Both are great
#26 Posted by LP4EVA2005 (8585 posts) -
It's easier in third person. You get a better view of the field than with first person. meetroid8
#27 Posted by Syn_Valence (1348 posts) -

Third person i can plan my route better then first person and i like actually seeing my character

#28 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

Third is way better, first person you have a limited view of your surroundings and considering that knowing your surroundings is a key essential to stealth...third person.

#29 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

Both. Though the best stealth games are in third person.

Some of my favorite first person stealth though is from Perfect Dark 64 and Goldeneye 64. it is a blast being able to use chaos or stealth in those games. Planning out NPC's routes, camera locations and such, then stealthily taking them out and never being seen, then releasing chaos on the leftover enemies...it is somethign you don't see in FPS games anymore. I miss Agent games.

#30 Posted by Animal-Mother (26549 posts) -

I personally prefer third. I can see a bit more of the world and feel as if I have a bit more control of what i'm seeing.
That being said. Dishonered and Deus Ex:HR are fantastic games.

#31 Posted by MrYaotubo (2635 posts) -
First person,in a stealth game it´s way more immersive than 3rd.
#32 Posted by Nanomage (2403 posts) -
Easily first person,the Thief series(the first two that is)delivered pure stealth in a way that no TP game ever did.
#33 Posted by Planeforger (15535 posts) -
First, by a very long way. There's no tension if you can just position the camera to see enemies around corners, or if you've got amazing peripheral vision. Third person modes also kill the immersion - just play through Thief 3 in both modes to see how inferior a third-person camera is for stealth games.
#34 Posted by j_assassin (896 posts) -
3rd person in any game genre
#35 Posted by Jankarcop (8976 posts) -

First by far.

Its not nearly as easy, its more realistic, and its more immersive. Third person stealth basically turns any stealth game into super easy mode, you can see everything around you. Its silly.

I suspect 3rd person to win this poll, casuals like their easymode.

#36 Posted by RageQuitter69 (1297 posts) -

I prefer 3rd person in stealth games (even though they don't exist anymore thanks to Ubisoft) but Deus Ex Human Revoluiton did 1st person stealth really well, it was nice to seamlessly transefer between vents and rooms.

#37 Posted by NirdBerd (2116 posts) -

Third because you can do more with gameplay in third person, first preson is all messed up because you have limited gameplay options, movement is awkward for obvious reasons

Also first person perspectives have always been letterboxed with not much field of view as you would have in real life, so it's troublesome

#38 Posted by _Matt_ (8866 posts) -

I prefer 3rd person stealth games, for single player at least. I still enjoy first person ones for a change though.

Multiplayer it needs to be 1st person really.

#39 Posted by ArisShadows (22615 posts) -
I will take 3rd person any day.
#40 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26335 posts) -

3rd person any day of the week. 1st person just bugs me for stealth.

#41 Posted by SharkheadHD (231 posts) -

For easier planning, 3rd person view is better.

If you want a harder stealth game experience, 1st person all the way.

#42 Posted by Ballroompirate (22555 posts) -

ill take third person anything over first person... i like having a peripheral view of what im doing at all times.

TheEroica

I pretty much feel the same except a few games like Dishonored I can actually stand playing stealth in FP, although at times I do wish that game was in TP.

#43 Posted by kitty (114551 posts) -

TheEroica

This. Plus I'm used to third person after the time I spent playing the tenchu games.

#44 Posted by jimmyrussle117 (774 posts) -

First by far.

Its not nearly as easy, its more realistic, and its more immersive. Third person stealth basically turns any stealth game into super easy mode, you can see everything around you. Its silly.

Jankarcop

But there are so many PC gamers with good taste on this forum... These casuals will be the death of the industry.

#45 Posted by PannicAtack (21017 posts) -
Can't judge. The only stealth games I've played are Thief and Deus Ex, both of which are first-person.
#46 Posted by RageQuitter69 (1297 posts) -

First by far.

Jankarcop
Easy?, what 3rd person stealth games have you played?
#47 Posted by istreakforfood (7749 posts) -
I guess first person view. Last third person stealth I've truly enjoyed was Chaos Theory many years ago.
#48 Posted by jimmyrussle117 (774 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

First by far.

RageQuitter69

Easy?, what 3rd person stealth games have you played?

They're certinly easier, and 3rd person is the complete antithesis of immersion.

#49 Posted by Maroxad (8069 posts) -

The one that doesnt let me see through walls if I position the camera properly.

In other words, First Person.

#50 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

3rd person stealth is easier because you can see more around you, but I find 1st person stealth to be more engaging like Dishonored. So I'm split, but if I had to choose one it would be 3rd person.