18 1-2 Switch mini games

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@jumpaction said:

@AzatiS:

Isn't that still breaking it into categories? Why can't you have non-AAA titles are are also great games? Is it not just as safe to say that (This is from my personal interest)

Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Arms and Xenoblade 2 look great and the existence of 1 2 Switch does not overshadow these games.

Likewise, consider another platform: Nioh, Nier andPersona 5 aren't spoiled because Double Dragon IV looks poor.

Would it not be just as fair to say every single AAA Nintendo game you get, there are some great games, decent games and 10 shovel-wear games?

I lost faith in Nintendo after Gamecube. I know what to expect and thats boring. Besides lets be honest and this stands for all systems/platforms. We cant like ALL exclusives. Whoever says that is a big liar or a big fanboy. For example , i dont like Kart or Smash. Those 2 are out automatically. I woudnt pay full price for them let alone half price. Im into Zelda and main mario series. So whats left ? Zelda/Mario and 3 games more i might like since 3rd parties are out ?

So what Switch will be for me ? An expensive low end hardware just to play 3-4 games ... and then ? And before you tell me " so its your preference , i told you so " let me remind you that sheep themselfs called Wii a dust collector for many years and sheep themselfs calling Wii U a subpar of a console ... NO , even EX-CEO called its product a great secondary console !!!

So lets see the facts straight here . There is a reason why Wii ended up in life support way earlier than everyone else despite its amazing sales and profits and why Wii U went into a serious life support so early despite mario/kart/smash/bayo/xeno/splatoon and all the other titles you mentioned me already as great. Why Wii U died then ? You get the picture already ? My point ?

Why people didnt buy Wii U then with all those games out . Dont tell me was the name of the console nor that console was way worse than Wii or something. Maybe those games werent enough nor too many are into them and the lack of 3rd parties not helping , think about that for a second.

So why Switch to be any better ? Because you mentioning the very same titles Wii U was offering ! And again i dont care about hardware sales or hype , i care about what i can buy and play on a 300$ system thru time that ill shit my pants with. Zelda is one for sure and maybe Mario .. Then what ? ARMS ? ARMS next to ZELDA at same price tag or so many other AAA games other consoles/PC offering for half of that price ? Naaah

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

@AzatiS:

I don't think the Wii U sold well because it was poorly marketed to the general consumer and too expensive for what was offered. Among many other issues the Wii U had, generally speaking it didn't resonate with the large audience that the Wii did.

But I understand where you are coming from. Generally speaking, these Nintendo consoles have diverted from the normality. In an effort to offer something different, they have hidden themselves away from receiving the same support that other consoles have in the form of 3rd party. This is where the 'great second console' comes into play.

But you can only speak for oneself, right? And the same logic can be applied to almost any system. Not every game will appeal to everyone... in general. Much more so when you have a system like the Wii which offers abstraction over what the gamer generally finds appealing.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@m_machine024 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@KungfuKitten said:

Why are they always so over the top XD I cringed so much that my tummy hurts.

Do you think you could get a six pack if you cringe enough?

That's not such a bad reaction. The only truly bad reaction would be complete indifference. Better than them pretending to be edgy or "cool." I think people respond better to honest cornballs than they do to serious edgy crap pretending to be hip.

That's a good point, actually. If they were trying to be ''cool''. it would have been worse I think.

They could have been a bit less corny tho.... ugh

True. But ya know I played wii sports resort the other day, and as corny as that game always was, it still doesn't feel stupid or out of date. Cornball is timeless. Stuff like Sonic and Poochy always feel dated.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

@AzatiS said:
@jumpaction said:

@AzatiS:

No, I agree with you. I don't think Arms is a AAA game, but I also think it looks like a great game. From my perspective, you have broken down game releases into three categories.

- AAA games (Games with a high budget/ marketing push)

- Good/Decent game

-Shovelwear

You see the problem with this breakdown from my perspective? The problem is that a game cannot be better than good/decent if it doesn't have a high budget. I think Arms looks extremely fun but I don't believe it has as high a budget as other titles releasing this year.

I understand then that from your definition, Arms won't be AAA caliber (which we can say includes critical reception). That's fair. The game looks fun and hands-on impressions have been highly positive but it's up in the air whether or not it will perform highly with critics, and it certainly doesn't have that all important hype pushing it. I draw issue, personally because critical reception means very little to me nor does it have as strong an impact on me (Especially when this critical reception is assumed upon an unreleased game...)

Arms can be a great game or not , we dont know yet. Just wait. Thats something we dont know yet.

And no i didnt broke down game releases into three categories , i said plain and simple that for EVERY single AAA Nintendo game you getting since Wii era , youll be getting another good/decent and 10 shovelware. You can go and check for yourself , the lists are up on metacritic. And im not talking about scores here alone. I consider AAA titles that they didnt met 90+ average like MARIO KART for example.

How many AAAs Nintendo offered this generation for example ? How many good games ? How many mediocre to shovelware means games that werent even near to AAA standards nor met anything above 75 score wise . Do the math for Wii that was the king of what im talking about and then check Wii U that isnt looking that bad because it has very very few games in its library. Though even with 180 games in total , half of that is what im talking about while many of its "mediocre/good games" are indies or 10 years old games.

So back to my original point. Why to spend 360$ for Switch and Zelda when im not sure ill be getting more AAA titles than Wii and Wii U had in total thru their entire lifespans ? For those 4-5-6 AAA games that most likely Switch will get in 4-5 years which then preference/taste kicks in and from those ypothetically 4 to 6 AAA games Switch might be getting , i might want to play one or two ?

You get the grip now ? Thats what Wii was about , thats what Wii U was about. Those 4-5 games in total. Well im not willing to spend 600$ for 3-4 games i like sorry

Every console has a ton of crap games and shovelware. The PC gamers precious STEAM is worse than the Wii but nobody judges the whole of steam based on those games.

Why spend $360 for switch and zelda? It's launch, don't like it, don't buy one yet. I didn't get a PS4 until two years after its release when I could comfortably buy games without waiting months between releases. This has always been the folly of buying at launch. I normally avoid such things but sometimes I make the rare decision to buy at launch like I did with PS3. Sometimes I wait for a few games I want to be available first, like I did with Wii, 360, and Wii U.

It's up to you and there's no wrong or right answer because it's your money and your decision. Console launches always suck. It depends highly on the individual, their trust in the brand, and whether or not they can put up with typical launch day nonsense.

Word is out that Switch is incredibly easy to port games too. Snake Pass devs said as much and that game btw looks incredible, me thinks the switch has more power than people think.

But...again...i don't blame you for waiting because I often make that decision. And sometimes I choose not to wait and that's okay too.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Bread_or_Decide

@AzatiS said:
@jumpaction said:

@AzatiS:

Generally speaking, I think Splatoon scored quite well among critics. It seemed to be in the 8's and 7's region with a few 9's and 10's.

Your arguments against Arms is complete conjecture though. I think it's only based on your preference in games and the impression you got from viewing the game. You might put a wee bit too much solace in critical reception to decide how you should feel about a game.

This is what I got from quora when I googled AAA games

"In the video game industry, AAA (pronounced "triple A") or Triple-A is a classification term used for games with the highest development budgets and levels of promotion. A title considered to be AAA is therefore expected to be a high quality game or to be among the year's bestsellers."

Nothing to do with critical reception. And Wikipedia:

"An AAA game (usually pronounced "triple A game") is an informal classification used for video games with the highest development budgets and levels of promotion. AAA game development is associated with high economic risk, with high levels of sales required to obtain profitability."

We had this conversation before and I was of the opinion that there was a level of confusion regarding the definition of AAA games including critical reception, but generally speaking it has everything to do with the budget and the marketing.

What about games with very small budgets that receive high critical acclaim? Are they AAA too?

You're entitled to feel how you wish to feel and it's important to be honest with your impressions. If you see a game like Arms and feel that it's not for you, that's fine. It's less constructive to slot an unreleased game into a Good/Decent category, one which you haven't played and one which has been receiving positive feedback from hands-on impressions on the grounds that the game doesn't look like a high-budget action/adventure title. Games are allowed to be something different from the high budget blockbusters and still be considered a significant release. It's a matter of preference. I think Arms looks way more appealing than Horizon: Zero Dawn for instance. It's just my preference.

What the ... !

You calling ARMS AAA ? You still dont get what AAA is even after you read yourself what is AAA !? What dont you get to explain you further !?

SCORE doesnt define a game as AAA . People like you that confusing SCORE with development values/budget etc . Thats why im reffering to AAA games as AAA caliber to give emphasis to what im talking about for people like you . If that helps you to understand since you are indeed confused what AAA stands for , lets call ARMS NOT an AAA CALIBER game and move on.

Debating if an apple is an apple while we link what apple is from credible sources is as ridiculous as it gets.

ARMS is nowhere near to what an AAA game is. It screams it isnt all over the place. AAA game is defined by the things you posted NOT its final score or sales or even worse, previews!!! You can have an AAA game that didnt meet to be of that high quality it aimed for and having very low budget being 9/10 all over the place. So what ? If an indie or a low budget game scores 10/10 , sales 100M copies and people having alot of fun is an AAA game ? Read above again what AAA stands for.

When you get this , we can continue. If you dont want to understand , fine. Lets call AAA every 9+ game out there and move on , im not willing to debate over this , its pretty silly.

Im amazed you linked what AAA stands for and you still debating over this though , thats the first time i see this

Arms is a first party Nintendo title. Looks like it'll have online matches. The graphics and art design seem like they put a lot of time and work into it. The motion gameplay, from early reports, say that it's spot on, one to one controls, with the option to play the game without them. Right now it's on par with Splatoon and that is a AAA first party title.

My guess is that it will have a one player mode, online mode, and local matches. My eyes see a quality title, not an indie game or wii sports type game.

Arms is AAA. That game doesn't look cheaply thrown together. The art design and effective controls prove as much.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#56  Edited By aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@AzatiS said:
@jumpaction said:

@AzatiS:

Generally speaking, I think Splatoon scored quite well among critics. It seemed to be in the 8's and 7's region with a few 9's and 10's.

Your arguments against Arms is complete conjecture though. I think it's only based on your preference in games and the impression you got from viewing the game. You might put a wee bit too much solace in critical reception to decide how you should feel about a game.

This is what I got from quora when I googled AAA games

"In the video game industry, AAA (pronounced "triple A") or Triple-A is a classification term used for games with the highest development budgets and levels of promotion. A title considered to be AAA is therefore expected to be a high quality game or to be among the year's bestsellers."

Nothing to do with critical reception. And Wikipedia:

"An AAA game (usually pronounced "triple A game") is an informal classification used for video games with the highest development budgets and levels of promotion. AAA game development is associated with high economic risk, with high levels of sales required to obtain profitability."

We had this conversation before and I was of the opinion that there was a level of confusion regarding the definition of AAA games including critical reception, but generally speaking it has everything to do with the budget and the marketing.

What about games with very small budgets that receive high critical acclaim? Are they AAA too?

You're entitled to feel how you wish to feel and it's important to be honest with your impressions. If you see a game like Arms and feel that it's not for you, that's fine. It's less constructive to slot an unreleased game into a Good/Decent category, one which you haven't played and one which has been receiving positive feedback from hands-on impressions on the grounds that the game doesn't look like a high-budget action/adventure title. Games are allowed to be something different from the high budget blockbusters and still be considered a significant release. It's a matter of preference. I think Arms looks way more appealing than Horizon: Zero Dawn for instance. It's just my preference.

What the ... !

You calling ARMS AAA ? You still dont get what AAA is even after you read yourself what is AAA !? What dont you get to explain you further !?

SCORE doesnt define a game as AAA . People like you that confusing SCORE with development values/budget etc . Thats why im reffering to AAA games as AAA caliber to give emphasis to what im talking about for people like you . If that helps you to understand since you are indeed confused what AAA stands for , lets call ARMS NOT an AAA CALIBER game and move on.

Debating if an apple is an apple while we link what apple is from credible sources is as ridiculous as it gets.

ARMS is nowhere near to what an AAA game is. It screams it isnt all over the place. AAA game is defined by the things you posted NOT its final score or sales or even worse, previews!!! You can have an AAA game that didnt meet to be of that high quality it aimed for and having very low budget being 9/10 all over the place. So what ? If an indie or a low budget game scores 10/10 , sales 100M copies and people having alot of fun is an AAA game ? Read above again what AAA stands for.

When you get this , we can continue. If you dont want to understand , fine. Lets call AAA every 9+ game out there and move on , im not willing to debate over this , its pretty silly.

Im amazed you linked what AAA stands for and you still debating over this though , thats the first time i see this

Arms is a first party Nintendo title. Looks like it'll have online matches. The graphics and art design seem like they put a lot of time and work into it. The motion gameplay, from early reports, say that it's spot on, one to one controls, with the option to play the game without them. Right now it's on par with Splatoon and that is a AAA first party title.

My guess is that it will have a one player mode, online mode, and local matches. My eyes see a quality title, not an indie game or wii sports type game.

Arms is AAA. That game doesn't look cheaply thrown together. The art design and effective controls prove as much.

Everyone knows ARMSâ„¢ is going to be goat

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#57  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@AzatiS said:

Arms can be a great game or not , we dont know yet. Just wait. Thats something we dont know yet.

And no i didnt broke down game releases into three categories , i said plain and simple that for EVERY single AAA Nintendo game you getting since Wii era , youll be getting another good/decent and 10 shovelware. You can go and check for yourself , the lists are up on metacritic. And im not talking about scores here alone. I consider AAA titles that they didnt met 90+ average like MARIO KART for example.

How many AAAs Nintendo offered this generation for example ? How many good games ? How many mediocre to shovelware means games that werent even near to AAA standards nor met anything above 75 score wise . Do the math for Wii that was the king of what im talking about and then check Wii U that isnt looking that bad because it has very very few games in its library. Though even with 180 games in total , half of that is what im talking about while many of its "mediocre/good games" are indies or 10 years old games.

So back to my original point. Why to spend 360$ for Switch and Zelda when im not sure ill be getting more AAA titles than Wii and Wii U had in total thru their entire lifespans ? For those 4-5-6 AAA games that most likely Switch will get in 4-5 years which then preference/taste kicks in and from those ypothetically 4 to 6 AAA games Switch might be getting , i might want to play one or two ?

You get the grip now ? Thats what Wii was about , thats what Wii U was about. Those 4-5 games in total. Well im not willing to spend 600$ for 3-4 games i like sorry

Every console has a ton of crap games and shovelware. The PC gamers precious STEAM is worse than the Wii but nobody judges the whole of steam based on those games.

Why spend $360 for switch and zelda? It's launch, don't like it, don't buy one yet. I didn't get a PS4 until two years after its release when I could comfortably buy games without waiting months between releases. This has always been the folly of buying at launch. I normally avoid such things but sometimes I make the rare decision to buy at launch like I did with PS3. Sometimes I wait for a few games I want to be available first, like I did with Wii, 360, and Wii U.

It's up to you and there's no wrong or right answer because it's your money and your decision. Console launches always suck. It depends highly on the individual, their trust in the brand, and whether or not they can put up with typical launch day nonsense.

Word is out that Switch is incredibly easy to port games too. Snake Pass devs said as much and that game btw looks incredible, me thinks the switch has more power than people think.

But...again...i don't blame you for waiting because I often make that decision. And sometimes I choose not to wait and that's okay too.

There are lists for everyone to check what im talking about.

I never said X console has no shovelware or something but Nintendo has the least AAA titles to the most Shovelware ratio you can find out there. Wii is the kind to that with Wii U being close.

I want more Zelda caliber games , more Mario main series caliber games , i want more NEW AAA caliber IPs ... I dont want massive 2Ds/Indie like games ( even if im fan of those ) , i dont want ARMS , I dont want Wii fit , Wii music , Wii crap or Wii going for a walk. I want games ill remember for years , experiences that will make me want to play again and again...

Add the fact that Switch will be missing massive third party support again .. We talking about an expensive secondary platform from the get go once again ?? It seems so.